What's The Name of That Book??? discussion

Children's/YA-SOLVED > SOLVED!: this one is for my dad [s]

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 56 comments My friend Kevin is looking for a book he once read. Of course he doesn't know the title or author but is takes place in north or south dakota in the 20's and is about a one room school house that gets snowed in. I know it's not much to go on but I stressed your intellect and vast resources and goodreads experience.

the above is a quote. you are my resources....help??

message 2: by Angel (new)

Angel (mnemosyne) | 25 comments Hm, there was a story that I read in my 8th grade literature book that fits this description, but I can't remember what it was called.

message 3: by bup (new)

bup | 75 comments Is that the whole book? There's a small part of "Lake Wobegon Days" that's like that (although the one room school house is a one-room cabin with college freshmen).

message 4: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 52 comments I bet it's PRAIRIE SCHOOL by Lois Lenski.

message 5: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 56 comments i sent this to my dad.... awaiting response... thanks so far!

message 6: by Angel (last edited Nov 30, 2008 02:07PM) (new)

Angel (mnemosyne) | 25 comments After trying to google for answers, I found that there was an enormous blizzard in 1888. Apparently it's often referred to as the "Schoolchildren's Blizzard" or just the "Children's Blizzard" because tons of children were stuck in their one-room schoolhouses, and many died trying to get home. There seem to be a dozen or more books and stories written about it, and they all seem more or less the same.

Is your father's friend sure that his story was set in the 20's? It sounds like it was more than likely a story about the 1888 blizzard. Both North and South Dakota are on the short list of states affected by that blizzard.

EDIT: I'm a dummy. I just realized there's a Wikipedia link to info about that blizzard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schoolho...

message 7: by Deb (new)

Deb | 48 comments I'm sure it's Prairie School by Lois Lenski. I just read it recently, it is about the 20th century, and fits your description exactly.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 173 comments Angel, there is a fairly recent nonfiction book about that, called The Children's Blizzard.

message 9: by Angel (new)

Angel (mnemosyne) | 25 comments (to Kate)
Reading about this on Wikipedia has made me interested in checking out some of those books and stories, so I may pick it up. That doesn't appear to be the one I read in school though, since my Literature book was published in 1988.

message 10: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 56 comments yes! yes! yes! thank you wendy and deb, and all who were involved!!! my dads friend just bought it on ebay for 2 bux!! he is very grateful.

message 11: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 56 comments okay - im not bright.... i try to change the folder, but i... um cant?? when i try to edit the header it says i need to be a moderator?? im skeered.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments Karen, You don't need to be a moderator, unless it's some sort of bug since Goodreads 2.0. But I'm happy to do both for you.

message 13: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 56 comments thank you!!

message 14: by rivka (new)

rivka | 288 comments unless it's some sort of bug since Goodreads 2.0

It is, actually. Otis said it will get fixed in the next release.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments Rivka, I had remembered reading something that might have been this bug but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the info.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Children's Blizzard (other topics)