What's The Name of That Book??? discussion

Just to Chat > just for fun

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

HeavyReader | 384 comments Just for fun, I suggest you check out the Weird Book Room on AbeBooks.com. You can find it here
http://www.abebooks.com/books/weird/i...

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments Isn't ABEBooks owned by Amazon? I'm not a fan of Amazon right now, not after what they've done to Goodreads. They've lost my business and I was a frequent customer for over a decade and a half.

LauraW (LauraLynnWalsh) | 227 comments So, it looks like Amazon acquired Abebooks, which had a big stake in Library Thing. Library Thing seems to be a competitor for Goodreads. Perhaps that explains it.

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments LauraW wrote: "So, it looks like Amazon acquired Abebooks, which had a big stake in Library Thing. Library Thing seems to be a competitor for Goodreads. Perhaps that explains it."

Yeah, think they have a stake in Shelfari too, another competitor of Goodreads.

HeavyReader | 384 comments I didn't know about the Amazon/Abebooks connection. I've been getting all my books from BookMooch and thrift stores anyway.

J. (Mamalaoshi) | 32 comments I'm new to good reads. What its up with Amazon you are all taking about?

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 1840 comments Mod
To sum, we were using a lot of their data for book covers, descriptions, dates etc. Turns out their terms of service were incompatible with the way GR runs this website, so as of Jan. 31 all that data is gone. The volunteer librarians are busy trying to restore all that data from independent sources.

Lots of people claim that Amazon is a bully, basically, and refuse to shop with them or their affiliates. (I happen to be one of them, but otoh I do admire how shrewd they are, and how long-term visionary they've been to get to this point.)

unread topics | mark unread