Fantasy Book Club discussion

Old threads > Book covers

Comments (showing 101-111 of 111) (111 new)    post a comment »
1 3 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 101: by ☺Caleb☻ (new)

☺Caleb☻ Sanders (killerkittyklaws) Lol that one was one of my least favorites she has some much better books like the forest of serre, ombria in shadow, the book of atrix wolf, and others.... = ]

message 102: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 629 comments Hmmmmm then I'll have to look into those.. I just liked searching the borders for all the little pictures of things from the book - it reminded when I was a kid and used to read Highlights Magazine.

message 103: by Saltie22 (new)

Saltie22 | 8 comments I really like the covers of the wardstone chronicals by Joseph Delaney. The Spook's Mistake (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, Book 5) by Joseph Delaney

message 104: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Robin wrote: "I don't really let cover art influence my choices but one thing I HATE is when they put the main character on the cover - after all part of reading is "conjuring" your own idea of what people look ..."

The covers for your husband's books are beautiful and I'd probably pick them up based on that.

And I agree, I really hate it when people are on the cover, especially their faces - I rarely ever pick those book up. I don't mind so much if it's cartoonish, or if they are just figured, got their backs turned, but I hate photos of people etc on them.

Book covers don't make me necessarily buy a book but they sure help when deciding what book to pluck from the shelf or not. Although admitedly when the cover has been exceptionally pretty... lol! Rare occasions!

message 105: by Robin (last edited Jul 06, 2009 04:06AM) (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 629 comments Michael did some covers for a fellow GoodReads Author Leslie Ann Moore - There is a "character" on te books but you don't see her face...I'm good with the "back to camera" or hidden face thing.

message 106: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 534 comments Very nice covers, Robin. Kudos to Michael.

What media is he using?

message 107: by Janny (new)

Janny (JannyWurts) | 730 comments Ah, beautiful work!
Kudos to Michael, and Leslie Ann Moore - those images suit your stories to a T! Very nice!

colleen the fabulous fabulaphile (blackrose13) I like the second cover more - it's more atmospheric. I think I just generally like "moody" stuff.

It's always kind of annoyed me that they feel the need to republish YA books in the adult section, with new covers. I get why they do it - those adults who won't read a YA book, or who will read one but don't want everyone to know they're reading one, which is sometimes given away by the cover.

But, anyway - one thing I would not expect is for the covers for the adult versions to be, imo, cheesier than the orignals. To whit, I present the covers, old and new, for The Faerie War Chronicles (by Herbie Brennan)

Original:
Faerie Wars (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, Book 1) by Herbie Brennan The Purple Emperor (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, Book 2) by Herbie Brennan Ruler of the Realm (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, Book 3) by Herbie Brennan

New Adult version (release by Tor, who I usually think has pretty good covers, actually):
Faerie Wars (Tor Fantasy) by Herbie Brennan The Purple Emperor (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, Book 2) by Herbie Brennan(can't find one for Ruler of the Realm)

Anyway - I would be more embarrassed carrying around the adult covers, personally.

Apparently, they are also re-releasing the first two YA ones with new covers:
Faerie Wars by Herbie Brennan The Purple Emperor Rejacketed by Herbie Brennan

I would love to know the reasoning for this because my theory, fresh from the gender thread, is that the original covers might have been deemed too girly for what is, mostly, a boy's book. These news ones definitely seem more geared towards boys...

This also brushes up with one of my aforementioned cover irritations - which is changing the style mid-way. The new covers for the first two are more in line with the covers I have for the latter two (and I much prefer the original style to the new one):
Ruler of the Realm (Faerie Wars Chronicles) by Herbie Brennan Faerie Lord (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, Book 4) by Herbie Brennan

message 109: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Robin wrote: "Michael did some covers for a fellow GoodReads Author Leslie Ann Moore - There is a "character" on te books but you don't see her face...I'm good with the "back to camera" or hidden face thing.

"

Those are lovely Robin, your husband is so good at making book covers - I love the covers of his own books they really do make you want to pick the book off the shelf.

message 110: by Elise (new)

Elise (ghostgurl) | 575 comments Robin wrote: "Michael did some covers for a fellow GoodReads Author Leslie Ann Moore - There is a "character" on te books but you don't see her face...I'm good with the "back to camera" or hidden face thing.

"

That was nice of him to do that. I really love those covers, especially the second one.

message 111: by Zachary (new)

Zachary (ZacharyKeith) | 45 comments If not for the cover of R.A. Salvatore's books I wouldn't have picked em up.

1 3 next »

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Eye of the World (other topics)
Griffin's Daughter (other topics)
The Hunter's Moon (other topics)
The Hunter's Moon (other topics)
The Summer King (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

O.R. Melling (other topics)
Michael J. Sullivan (other topics)