SFBRP Listeners discussion

Timeline
This topic is about Timeline
Time travel (#152). Crichton's Timeline

Comments (showing 1-10)    post a comment »
dateUp_arrow    newest »

Luke Burrage (lukeburrage) | 133 comments Mod
I CAN'T... read YOUR writING, IYkwim.

message 8: by Hollowman (last edited Feb 08, 2012 01:29PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hollowman | 8 comments Luke wrote: "I read it around the time it came out. I remember enjoying it, but not being blown away by it being amazingly good or amazingly shit. I've no intention of reading it again."
Story is WEAK but Crichton does OKAY with the hard-sci tech stuff.
As far as Asimov ... know he's REGARDED as one of the best SF authors ... but I think his WRITING STYLE (tho not perhaps his ideas or sci/tech elements) is BORING. Crichton has much more of the pull-in factor.

Gregory Benford has the "acclaimed" novel Timescape (1980) ... anyone get thru that?

BTW... not a SF fan really ... nor ever have been. Real-sci rags ... Astronomy, Scientific American, New Scientist even some Nat Geo ... those I can read w/o getting bored. IAC, and IMHO, you gotta have some regularly-updated REAL-SCI background to make "(non)sense" of sci-fi. In THIS context, I really find even the most highly-rated sci-fi authors DULL ... Hard to beat "Nature's imagination".

message 7: by Linguana (last edited Feb 07, 2012 06:15AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Linguana | 6 comments Yeah, sure. No problem. I never tried any formatting myself but I can imagine that it's a lot of work putting in chapters and such.

Don't let me stress you. I'll read them, one way or another. :)

EDIT: Just converted them using Calibre - no trouble, at all! There are no chapters in the epub but this way I can read them all on my Kobo. *yay*

Linguana wrote: "Which reminds me - are you going to upload epub versions of your other books here *tries to look cute*

I liked Minding Tomorrow and would like to read the other books, too. But I can't read on my ..."

ebook formatting is a real pain in the ass. Can't you just download the text or html versions? I'll do my best to make a combined 3 volume ebook of the full Minding Tomorrow series, but until I have a final edited version of all three novels, I'll stick with basic formats.

Linguana | 6 comments Which reminds me - are you going to upload epub versions of your other books here *tries to look cute*

I liked Minding Tomorrow and would like to read the other books, too. But I can't read on my computer screen because it makes my eyes bleed. So a downloadable version for my ereader would be wonderful.

I'm currently spending time writing, not reading, so it'll be a while before the next review. And when the review does come, I'll have probably picked a good book to read, not some dross.

Timeline wasn't all that bad, was it?

Linguana | 6 comments This was my first thought: Holy shit, Luke would rip it apart! :)

I read this book at a quite early age (14?) and liking it. Then again, I read some horrible stuff back then which now makes my fingers burn as soon as I touch the pages. :)

But hey, Luke. I'd appreciate another good rant. ;)

I read it around the time it came out. I remember enjoying it, but not being blown away by it being amazingly good or amazingly shit. I've no intention of reading it again.

Hollowman | 8 comments Don't think Luke's revw'd any M. Crichton. Since he's currently on the "time-travel tour" -- LOL!!! -- how about MC's Timeline (1999).

unread topics | mark unread