SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

The Terror
This topic is about The Terror
Group Reads Discussions 2012 > "The Terror" Chapters 6-10 *no spoilers past Chapter 10*

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) So how about them ice ridges?

Deanne | 264 comments Just wondering how Silence comes into this, with the jumping around of the timeline one chapter she's there, then she isn't.

Zulfiya (ztrotter) | 72 comments She features in the later Crozier's timeline, and I assume, she has not been introduced in the Franklin's timeline because it is too early. IMHO

The ice ridges are scary. And if the bleak day makes me feel sad, I can not possibly imagine how I could feel in the uncharted territories with the night 24/7 where the ice ridges and ice fissures are in your way. Darkness is the most haunting human experience because it heightens that feeling of the unknown. Both darkness and cold permeate the narrative. Wonderfully atmospheric and suspenseful so far.

Michelle (fireweaver) | 325 comments Zulfuya, that's exactly it. the Crozier chapters are from later in the journey, when they've been stuck for a while, and are starting to get hints of how not-awesome this trip is becoming. the Franklin chapters start from the very beginning of the voyage, when everyone is full of purpose and optimism. Silence shows up just about when the timelines converge (which is to say, if the time jumps are driving you buggy, the story is fairly linear after about halfway through). pretty sure Silence is going to remain mysterious all along, though.

about them ice ridges...I'm a good bit more than chapter 10, and I'm kind of on the fence about them, actually. one one hand, some descriptive stuff gets repetitive and I start wondering if this book would be better if it were trimmed down a bit...and in the other hand, i agree with Zulfiya a lot that it's wonderfully atmospheric, and besides, all these guys had to look at for years were the seracs and each other, so the repetition is part of the atmosphere.

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Sorry I've been so absent in this discussion. New job with all its craziness.

I felt the same about the repetition initially, but the style has grown on me. I think the pacing improves over time.

Lara Amber (LaraAmber) | 664 comments I like the atmosphere and the descriptions of the ice and snow. The only downside is this book does not lend itself well to reading while there is background noise or interruptions. So I have to switch to something else when reading while my son is watching Thomas and Friends.

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) I can definitely see how that would be dissonant.

Lara Amber (LaraAmber) | 664 comments That or Crozier is going to start spouting "You are causing confusion and delay!" to his crew.

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) No, the things he shouts at them in those cases tend to be far more colorful. I find myself wanting to use the various curses from the book, but so little opportunity to do so without seeming like a crazy person.

Zulfiya (ztrotter) | 72 comments I do like how they say "Aye, sir" when the whole situation is against their routine sign of military obedience.

Deanne | 264 comments Apparantly "Aye,Sir" and "Aye,aye,Sir" means two different things in the Royal Navy. The first is an agreement to something someone has said, the second is an acknowledgement of an order.

Mekerei | 32 comments Lara Amber wrote: The only downside is this book does not lend itself well to reading while there is background noise or interruptions ...

Yes, Yes, YES.

This book is going to be slow going for me because it requires a lot of concentration. It's not the type of book that you can dip in and out of. I'll just have to cut down my tv watching.

Zulfiya (ztrotter) | 72 comments Mekerei wrote: "Lara Amber wrote: The only downside is this book does not lend itself well to reading while there is background noise or interruptions ...

Yes, Yes, YES.

This book is going to be slow going for ..."

After chapter 20 it will turn into a very engrossing read. :-)

message 14: by Mekerei (last edited Feb 21, 2012 12:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mekerei | 32 comments Zulfiya wrote: After chapter 20 it will turn into a very engrossing read. :-)

Zulfiya is sooo right - I'm now suffering from lack of sleep because I need to know what is happening!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Lots of stuff happening. Like ice. And snow. And more ice. :P

message 16: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments Zulfiya wrote: "I do like how they say "Aye, sir" when the whole situation is against their routine sign of military obedience."

And probably gratitude that they aren't required to think for themselves. Could you imagine the burden of responsibility bearing down on the captains and other officers?

message 17: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments Deanne wrote: "Apparantly "Aye,Sir" and "Aye,aye,Sir" means two different things in the Royal Navy. The first is an agreement to something someone has said, the second is an acknowledgement of an order."

I did not know that. Not many Navy personnel in my family that I live close to (several Marines though and Air Force).

Deanne | 264 comments Dad was in the Royal Navy for 27 years, he lied about his age when he was 15 in order to join up.

unread topics | mark unread