Indian Readers discussion

Sharing info n ideas > Lekhana - lit fest in Bangalore

Comments (showing 1-50 of 61) (61 new)    post a comment »

Sudarshan Purohit | 63 comments Hi all,
Apologies for the non-Bangalorean folks. Just heard about an interesting literary festival scheduled for next weekend here. The details are here:

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/printa...=

For some weird reason the promoters are not going all out to publicize their festival, but the lineup we have so far looks good. I plan to go; anyone else coming?

Vinoth (Vinothpl) | 4684 comments actually i am planning to go too. but there is not much of details in the website...

message 3: by Vinoth (last edited Feb 02, 2012 09:41PM) (new)

Vinoth (Vinothpl) | 4684 comments just checked the webpage and the schedule has been posted

you can find the schedule in the following webpage(it gives elaborate description for the panel discussions )

http://readinghour.in/lekhana.php

message 4: by PSmith, Col. (new)

PSmith (SmithaPrabhu) | 19956 comments Mod
enjoy yourselves folks. I envy you.

message 5: by Sherin, arm chair sleuth (new)

Sherin Punnilath (Shery_7) | 6754 comments Mod
That's great news..
Col,don't envy..come down to Bangalore .. :)

Anbu (Anbutheone) | 4466 comments Cool.. Im in.. :)

Parikhit | 3521 comments I read about it in the Hindu today. They have given a detailed day-to-day event description.

Harsha had informed about this as well.

And sadly, though I have been longing to attend this event, I cannot be there :(

Vinoth (Vinothpl) | 4684 comments Parikhit wrote: "I read about it in the Hindu today. They have given a detailed day-to-day event description.

Harsha had informed about this as well.

And sadly, though I have been longing to attend this even..."

I know I know ;P

Anbu (Anbutheone) | 4466 comments hmm.. finish the exam early and come.. :P

Vinoth (Vinothpl) | 4684 comments Anbu wrote: "hmm.. finish the exam early and come.. :P"

i dont think that would be possible as the exam gets over by 5 PM for Pari..

is it rite pari???

Parikhit | 3521 comments Vinoth wrote: "Anbu wrote: "hmm.. finish the exam early and come.. :P"

is it rite pari???"

Yes. How annoying can that be??

Vinoth (Vinothpl) | 4684 comments Parikhit wrote: "Vinoth wrote: "Anbu wrote: "hmm.. finish the exam early and come.. :P"

is it rite pari???"

Yes. How annoying ca..."

:)

Parikhit | 3521 comments I think I can just make it for the closing ceremony.

Vinoth (Vinothpl) | 4684 comments Parikhit wrote: "I think I can just make it for the closing ceremony."

hey pari , you know you don't have to stay till 5 PM in the exam hall ;P

Anbu (Anbutheone) | 4466 comments Vinoth wrote: "Parikhit wrote: "I think I can just make it for the closing ceremony."

hey pari , you know you don't have to stay till 5 PM in the exam hall ;P"

True.. :P. Pari finish the exam fast and come.. :D

message 16: by Vinoth (last edited Feb 07, 2012 02:24AM) (new)

Vinoth (Vinothpl) | 4684 comments those who had difficulties in finding the NGMA grounds follow the link..

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=NGMA++b...

Vinoth (Vinothpl) | 4684 comments Has anyone decided when to go???
i was thinking of going at around 2.30PM on Sunday. what say.

Anbu (Anbutheone) | 4466 comments Im in for Sunday afternoon.. :)

Vinoth (Vinothpl) | 4684 comments Anbu wrote: "Im in for Sunday afternoon.. :)"

cool.anyone else???

Aravind P | 1366 comments Vinoth wrote: "Anbu wrote: "Im in for Sunday afternoon.. :)"

cool.anyone else???"

I will try to join you guys...I might be going today as well, not aiming for anything particular. Would get out once bored. :)

message 21: by Vinoth (last edited Feb 10, 2012 08:26PM) (new)

Vinoth (Vinothpl) | 4684 comments Aravind wrote: "Vinoth wrote: "Anbu wrote: "Im in for Sunday afternoon.. :)"

cool.anyone else???"

I will try to join you guys...I might be going today as well, not aiming for anything particular. Would get out o..."

If you go today , pls let us know how it was..

message 22: by Sherin, arm chair sleuth (new)

I'll try to join too.. Please message me your numbers.
@Anbu: I managed to lose your number again :(

#Still in office :|

Vinoth (Vinothpl) | 4684 comments Sherin wrote: "I'll try to join too.. Please message me your numbers.
@Anbu: I managed to lose your number again :(

#Still in office :|"

done.

message 24: by Vi (new)

Vi | 163 comments I'm so envious. I wanna go to the lit fest too.

Vinoth (Vinothpl) | 4684 comments Vi wrote: "I'm so envious. I wanna go to the lit fest too."

fly down to Bangalore. we can go tomorrow :P

message 26: by Vi (new)

Vi | 163 comments Wish I could or they can postpone the festival for 2 months and then I can join :P

Anbu (Anbutheone) | 4466 comments @Sherin: sent.. :)

Vinoth (Vinothpl) | 4684 comments Anbu wrote: "@Sherin: sent.. :)"

what time will you be there??
how abt 2-2.30PM??

Anbu (Anbutheone) | 4466 comments Yeah Fine.. I ll be there by 2-2.30..

message 30: by Aravind (last edited Feb 14, 2012 02:30AM) (new)

Aravind P | 1366 comments Vinoth wrote: "Aravind wrote: "Vinoth wrote: "Anbu wrote: "Im in for Sunday afternoon.. :)"

cool.anyone else???"

I will try to join you guys...I might be going today as well, not aiming for anything particular...."

Today I went there by 2 ish and they were having lunch(I guess that was free, but I was already stuffed till my nose). Rafiki theatre group presented a 3 part short plays which were hilarious. There was a non-ending book reading sessions going on at the terrace and lawn of the NGMA which clashed with a talk on 'Cultural Elephants'. Nothing zoological, it was a talk trying to find out how culture is improperly mixed and mashed in Bangalore which hasn't yet formed a proper singular culture to call. It was okish, I mean it did a comparative picture of how the economic progress and how conservative end and liberal ends of bangalore are in discord etc. And how either are continuously trying to redefine the culture of Bangalore in their own terms. There was a lot to discuss on that and time wasn't obliging.

Did attend two reading sessions, one I didn't quite get what they were discussing as I came in late, it was Anjum Hasan and Indira Chandrasekhar. (Anjum Hasan was damn pretty in Kerala saree).

Second was by Samhita Arni and Jahnavi Barua both read out one chapter from their novels which were related to feminist thoughts. The chapter Jahnavi read was from her Man Asian shortlisted novel Rebirth. There some discussions on feminism afterwards. I was thinking of asking something on chick-lit but they quickly wrapped up.

The best thing about the evening was the Poetry slam and poetry recitation by Claus Ankersen. Poetry slam showcased some best budding poets from Bangalore and their brilliant poems. Some of them have had their poems published as well. Claus was funny and his recitations were energetic, emotional and hilarious. It was more like a monologue poetry, with enough dose of his acting and antics.

I might mostly be there from tomorrow morning. It is just a nice feeling to be amongst so many literary hash-posh people :D

message 31: by Sherin, arm chair sleuth (new)

You're making me jealous.. :'(

My update is again "Still I'm at office.." (How boring is that!)
Just now,it was decided that we'll be spending the night here and going home by 7 o'clock or so..

So if I'm feeling good enough to travel by noon,I'll come.

Vinoth (Vinothpl) | 4684 comments I am glad that i did not give the fest a miss.I went there by 2.15PM and to my excitement they announced the Screening of "MrShanbag's Bookshop" a Documentary about the 'premier Bookshop' which used to be in Brigade road and was brought down in 2009. i had seen the trailer and i really wanted to see it but the screening was actually on Saturday and the schedule did not have the Screening on Sunday.it was a surprise.

After this i met Aravind and anbu who were there by 10 Am and 12.30 Pm respectively.we heard a panel discussion titled " What Stops us from Saying what we want to Say ". it was good but not the best of the day.
then Thanks to Aravind we went to the terrace to attend the reading of a author named Zac O'Yeah.when we reached the terrace he was already reading from a book the title of which we did not know. the book was a satirical one and it was so so Hilarious. so hilarious that i did not like the next reading by a Gaurav.which was followed by A Dominic who recited his poems.man he had a amazing memory!

next came the Panel discussion on "Body and Biography " the panel consisted of Ammu Joseph, Girish Karnad, Joshua Muyiwa, Kutti Revathi. i felt glad that i was there hearing it and decided to read Kutty revathy's poem collection. sherin was there halfway through the discussion.

the icing on the cake was the Closing Session by Girish Karnad , wherein he read a chapter from his memoir.it was good. we left by around 7.20 PM.

message 33: by Vinoth (last edited Feb 12, 2012 11:16PM) (new)

Vinoth (Vinothpl) | 4684 comments the book by Zac O'Yeah is actually titled Tandooriälgen in Swedish and the english version of it is Once Upon A Time In Scandinavistan.(goodreads did not have this one , had to create it myself after taking inputs from various online book stores) he has written quite a few books on India. he currently lives in Bangalore,India.

Parikhit | 3521 comments I am saddened that I had to miss it. Sounds like it was jolly good.

Vinoth (Vinothpl) | 4684 comments Parikhit wrote: "I am saddened that I had to miss it. Sounds like it was jolly good."

yeah.it was. I have gone to so many Book Fests.but Lekhana was my first Lit fest ever.it was real good.

Aravind P | 1366 comments Parikhit wrote: "I am saddened that I had to miss it. Sounds like it was jolly good."

How was your exam? :)

Sudarshan Purohit | 63 comments Aaargh.... missed the whole meet! Had to rush to Mumbai on Thursday and got back on Sunday night - precisely matching the timing of the festival. Hope to join it next year...

Vinoth (Vinothpl) | 4684 comments Sudarshan wrote: "Aaargh.... missed the whole meet! Had to rush to Mumbai on Thursday and got back on Sunday night - precisely matching the timing of the festival. Hope to join it next year..."

any special news from your side????

Parikhit | 3521 comments Aravind wrote: "Parikhit wrote: "I am saddened that I had to miss it. Sounds like it was jolly good."

How was your exam? :)"

It was ho-hum. Not great and not bad either. As expected.

Vinoth (Vinothpl) | 4684 comments Parikhit wrote: "Aravind wrote: "Parikhit wrote: "I am saddened that I had to miss it. Sounds like it was jolly good."

It was ho-hum. Not great and not bad either. As expected."

waiting for March 15th ;P

Parikhit | 3521 comments Vinoth wrote: "Parikhit wrote: "Aravind wrote: "Parikhit wrote: "I am saddened that I had to miss it. Sounds like it was jolly good."

It was ho-hum. Not great and not bad either. As expec..."

Not really. There was one more exam coming up. Need to start preparing for that and honestly I need to chalk out a plan for my life. :)

Parikhit | 3521 comments Were there any pictures taken at Lekhna?? If so, we would love to see them :)

Vinoth (Vinothpl) | 4684 comments i think sherin took a pic of the panel discussion. but there were no group photos....

Vinoth (Vinothpl) | 4684 comments Parikhit wrote: "Vinoth wrote: "Parikhit wrote: "Aravind wrote: "Parikhit wrote: "I am saddened that I had to miss it. Sounds like it was jolly good."

It was ho-hum. Not great and not b..."

Navaratnas???

message 45: by Anbu (last edited Feb 13, 2012 05:43AM) (new)

Anbu (Anbutheone) | 4466 comments As always late update by me. I entered at the right time. As I entered I called up Aravind to check where is he. But before he replied, I heard some beautiful Tamil Poems by Sukumaran, read out by himself. So I just gone there and sat though Aravind was in some panel discussion session. The poem reading was one of the best. Some beautiful poems read out by Kutti Revathy, Sukumaran and the English translations also read out there.

All were beautiful to hear in Tamil. And Kutti Revathy read out a poem from her most controversial collection “Mulaigal” (Breasts) . As she mentioned in the panel discussion later, she used the women’s body as a metaphor in the poem. But as we know trouble makers can find fault in anything. I was so shocked to hear that she is still getting abused by anonymous e-mails because of the this poetry collection that was published a decade ago.

The highlight was Lakshmi Holmström’s reading from her translation of Cheran’s Rendaavathu Suriya Udhayam (Second Sunrise). The poems were so touching that most of us who know about the Eelam struggle tried very hard to control the emotions those poems induced in us. The misery of the people described in the poems would definitely induce tears in many of our eyes.

Vinoth had already written about the other sessions. I also liked Zack O’yeah’s reading from his book. It was so funny and the way he read it with expressions made it even more better. A chapter from Girish Karnad’s memoir made me decide to read it whenever the English version get released.

Thank you Sudarshan for letting us know about this lit fest.. It was so good.. :)

Parikhit | 3521 comments Vinoth wrote: "i think sherin took a pic of the panel discussion. but there were no group photos...."

Even Sherin was there. Big sigh!!

message 47: by Sherin, arm chair sleuth (last edited Feb 13, 2012 06:04AM) (new)

:D
I made it to the closing ceremony (I spend Saturday day and night at office,mind you! Reached the hostel only by sunday morning :)). The autobiography reading by Girish Karnad was really good.

And finally,the client visit/app demo is over.
Life is back to normal..

message 48: by Aditya, the garbage man (new)

Aditya (adic) | 4418 comments Mod
Parikhit, where is the proposed GATE exam thread?

Parikhit | 3521 comments R. Sun Moon wrote: "Parikhit, where is the proposed GATE exam thread?"

I beg of you please no more insult. I am kneeling down on my knees and pleading. :(

@Sherin, welcome back to normalcy.

message 50: by Vinoth (last edited Feb 13, 2012 06:32AM) (new)

Vinoth (Vinothpl) | 4684 comments Parikhit wrote: " I beg of you please no more insult. I am kneeling down on my knees and pleading. :(

"

this request will be processed within the time taken by the president of India to Pardon Death Penalty ;)

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Rebirth (other topics)
Once Upon A Time In Scandinavistan (other topics)
Tandooriälgen (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jahnavi Barua (other topics)
Indira Chandrasekhar (other topics)
Anjum Hasan (other topics)
Claus Ankersen (other topics)
Samhita Arni (other topics)
More...