UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Archive > Please Introduce yourself here February 2012

Comments (showing 1-50 of 545) (545 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

message 1: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Jun 20, 2012 04:21AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4696 comments Welcome to the Goodreads UK Kindle Group. We are a friendly lot here and there is something for everyone.

Please start by adding a post to our ‘Introduce Yourself ‘ thread. We are a nosey lot and would love to know who you are, what you like to read (and write), where you live and what you drink, eat, wear and grow.

This thread meanders off-topic quite a bit but as soon as a new member comes along our friendly but bonkers members soon appear to give you a warm welcome.

Of course you don’t have to introduce yourself if you prefer. You could head off to Meet The Authors, check out our monthly book selections. check out the New releases or play some Group Games
Even if you don’t feel ready to post something you are most welcome to sit back and watch the fun.

This forum is very lightly moderated (hardly noticeable), occasionally we will ask you to keep a particular thread on topic and we have a few simple rules about author threads and new releases.

There are plenty of ebook related threads, a wine discussion and a place to share your musical taste.

If you have any problems you can post questions on

message 2: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Bourke (mrsb1968) | 1 comments Hi,
I'm Lynn and I'm a 40+ year-old Primary School Teacher. I live in Darwen, Lancashire, and I love reading Fantasy Romance, Contemporary and the occasional Thriller/Crime. I have just read A Discovery of Witches and I have just bought a couple more ebooks for my Kindle.

I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you!

message 3: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments hi Lynn!!!

Emma (Queen of the weirdo's) (emzibah) | 4363 comments Hi Lynn, make yourself at home and if there is anything we can help you with just shout..

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 52522 comments Welcome Lynn! I'm a teacher as well. Do give a shout if you need any help finding your way round the group and please join in the chatter wherever you like!

message 6: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 20431 comments Hello Lynn - I have an ancestral connection to Darwen. My Grandad's cousins came from there - name of Entwistle. I get the impression from looking at old census forms that if you stood on any street corner there and shouted 'Oi! Entwistle!' almost every door in the street would open!

Get stuck into the forum - lots of book discussions - lots of anything discussions really!

message 7: by Nell (new)

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 212 comments Hi Lynn, welcome to the group :)

message 8: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments omg patti your a teacher!!!!!!

Jud (Disney Diva) (Judibud) | 17241 comments Welcome Lynn :o)

message 10: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments Hi Lynn

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 52522 comments Louise-Lesley (Elle) wrote: "omg patti your a teacher!!!!!!"

Yes I am Elle.

And it's 'you're'

Tsk.

;)

message 12: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments School teachers live in classrooms and don't come out and don't think bad things and don't have fun and are terrifying.

You are clearly a bad school teacher!

(HA! Kidding! What do you teach?)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Lynn

message 14: by Colin (new)

Colin | 3 comments Hi

I'm Colin. I live in Maidenhead in Berkshire although originally from Coventry where I return regularly to see family and to watch Coventry City football where I'm a season ticket holder for my sins. I worked in software development and implementation for about 30 years but have spent the last 2 years as a frontline adviser for the DWP. I enjoy a wide variety of genres but probably read mainly Thrillers, Crime, Mystery, Horror, Contemporary and SF. Thanks to the Feb quiz I've just started reading The Unicorn Crisis which I'm really enjoying. Hope to move onto one of the Feb books after that.

message 15: by Elle (last edited Feb 04, 2012 12:58PM) (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments Hi Colinnnnn. (I picked a book this month)!

message 16: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments Hi Colin and welcome ! Go pop into eastwood's sports thread, they're football mad in there ;)

message 17: by Colin (new)

Colin | 3 comments Thanks for the welcomes.

Hi Elle, yes I saw you picked Room. I haven't decided which to read yet but must admit Room seems a unique concept.

Thanks for the pointer Lorraine, I'll have to take a look.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 52522 comments Welcome Colin!

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan (SusieLily) | 469 comments Hi Lynn and Colin. This is a great place to be.

message 20: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 20431 comments Hi Colin and welcome to the group. As you enjoy horror/mystery/thriller I must recommend (or people here will assume I've died or emigrated) the Words to the Wise Saga by Cornelius Harker. It's a combination of horror, fantasy and a dark 18th/19th century myth, wisdom and philosophy. I think they are spectacularly good!
Words to the Wise
Words To The Wise: Book Two

Join in the conversations on whatever thread takes your fancy. It's a friendly group here.

Geoff (G. Robbins) (The noisy passionfruit) (Snibborg) | 8605 comments Hi Lynn and Colin, welcome to our pre-prepared madhouse. Please feel free to choose cells from our wonderful selection.

Jud (Disney Diva) (Judibud) | 17241 comments I second (As usual) the Cornelius Harker recommendation.

message 23: by Colin (new)

Colin | 3 comments Hi. Thanks again for the welcomes. I bought one of Cornelius' other books on Thursday, "A Dish Best Served Cold". I think it was from a recommendation I saw on either here or The Amazon Kindle forum. Haven't got round to reading it yet, currently reading The Unicorn Crisis which I came upon as part of the quiz. But the synopsis for "Words to the Wise" does look very interesting so I'll probably download it and add yet another book to the TBR list!

message 24: by Kath (last edited Feb 06, 2012 10:50AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 20431 comments Book 3 is on the way Colin (allegedly!) Some of us read Book 2 after Book 1 was one of the monthly recommendations.

message 25: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) Hi, I'm Ellie and I just joined this group. I'm from Dublin, Ireland. I'm looking forward to getting to know people here and making new friends.

<3 Ellie xxx

message 26: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments Hi Ellie x

message 27: by Ian (new)

Ian Ayris | 473 comments Ellie wrote: "Hi, I'm Ellie and I just joined this group. I'm from Dublin, Ireland. I'm looking forward to getting to know people here and making new friends.

<3 Ellie xxx"

Hi Ellie. I'm pretty new here as well, and I must say, they're a friendly old bunch :) Hope to see you around the boards. And have fun :)

Ian

message 28: by Gingerlily - Mistress Lantern (last edited Feb 06, 2012 01:48PM) (new)

Gingerlily - Mistress Lantern | 30877 comments Hi Ellie - I live in Dublin too! An extra special welcome to you. :) Cead mile failte.

message 29: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments Ian wrote: "they're a friendly old bunch :) "

Old !!??

Emma (Queen of the weirdo's) (emzibah) | 4363 comments Lorraine ... toblerone shortcake for my buddies ! wrote: "Ian wrote: "they're a friendly old bunch :) "

Old !!??"

Was just about to write the same thing! You can go off people you know Ian!! Hi Ellie :-)

message 31: by Ian (new)

Ian Ayris | 473 comments Lorraine ... toblerone shortcake for my buddies ! wrote: "Ian wrote: "they're a friendly old bunch :) "

Old !!??"

My apologies, Lorraine. Had no idea it was such a sensitive subject for you ;)

message 32: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments It's a sensitive subject for any woman Ian lol ;) x

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 52522 comments Welcome Ellie! I hope you enjoy bonkers!

message 34: by Ian (new)

Ian Ayris | 473 comments Forgive me, Lorraine. I'm not quite with it at the moment. My thirteen year old daughter came back from the Olly Murs concert at the 02 last night, all love struck and giggly. Don't seem like yesterday I was holding her in the palm of my hand in the delivery suite, she was that little. Grow up so quick, they do.

Only natural, I suppose.

But Olly Murs? Blimey, I thought better of her than that, I really did . . .

message 35: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments Ian wrote: "Forgive me, Lorraine. I'm not quite with it at the moment. My thirteen year old daughter came back from the Olly Murs concert at the 02 last night, all love struck and giggly. Don't seem like ye..."

Lol Ian, I can only sympathise with you. They grow up fast indeed. But yeah. Olly Murs. But then, it's probably better than the Bieber !

message 36: by Ian (new)

Ian Ayris | 473 comments Lorraine ... toblerone shortcake for my buddies ! wrote: "Ian wrote: "Forgive me, Lorraine. I'm not quite with it at the moment. My thirteen year old daughter came back from the Olly Murs concert at the 02 last night, all love struck and giggly. Don't ..."

That's a fair point, Lorraine. Am slowly indoctrinating her musical tastes. Already got my eight year old boy into Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, and Bruce Springsteen. For Mollie, Olly Murs will be a passing phase. I've got Creedance Clearwater lined up for her. And The Jesus and Mary Chain. Ah, bless. Social Services, anyone?

message 37: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments I wouldn't worry about Social Services Ian ! Anyway, got to teach them that legends are there to stay, whereas one-hit-wonders... well...

message 38: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) Thanks for all the welcomes everyone xxx

message 39: by John (new)

John Logan (JohnAALogan) | 345 comments Hello All from Highlands of Scotland!
I published my new novel, The Survival of Thomas Ford, as a Kindle ebook on Christmas Day 2011...it took me while to get the hang of all the internet forums so I have been slow to arrive here...but I see there are a couple of reviews of my book on Goodreads already.
It means a lot to me to finally have a chance to get this book out to readers, because this novel had been locked in under contract with a London literary agent for over a year...nearer 18 months...felt longer...
My agent was certain he could sell the book, and the film consultant at the agency, who had been responsible for discovering Slumdog Millionaire as an unpublished manuscript and getting it developed into a film, thought my book was the best she had read at that agency in the last 4 years.
My agent found several editors who "loved the book", but the sales depts of the publishing houses did not agree and no sale was made.
So I have taken the book back into my own hands to sell direct to readers (hopefully)!
The novel is contemporary fiction, what you might call a literary thriller.
I would love to know what readers think of it!
All very best, John (John A. A. Logan)
P.s. This is my 2nd post here, as I think first one was deleted as I had book-link...sorry, don't know all the rules yet!

message 40: by John (new)

John Logan (JohnAALogan) | 345 comments Hi Ian (Ayris)...just spotted you there! I didn't spot your message to me over at the KIndle UK site, in the "Hello" area...until couple days after you left it, but I've left a reply to you over there in the thread, and I downloaded a copy of Uncle Mildred also...review to follow soon. All best, John

message 41: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (LorraineVersini) | 8999 comments Hi and welcome John !

message 42: by Ian (new)

Ian Ayris | 473 comments Hi John.

Thanks so much for downloading Uncle Mildred. Although the stories might be something of . . . ahem . . . an acquired taste, the cause is one very close to my heart.

Thank you so much :)

Ian

message 43: by John (new)

John Logan (JohnAALogan) | 345 comments Hi Lorraine, thanks!

No problem Ian...I read the first story Uncle Mildred right after reading your message on Kindle UK, few hours later going to bed I put head on pillow and found myself doing a laugh out loud again about the story (quite involuntary!) Still thinking of it as an Alan Sillitoe-Irvine Welsh transgressive cross-pollination (try tagging it with that on Amazon!)...

message 44: by Ian (new)

Ian Ayris | 473 comments John wrote: "Hi Lorraine, thanks!

No problem Ian...I read the first story Uncle Mildred right after reading your message on Kindle UK, few hours later going to bed I put head on pillow and found myself doing a..."

Some of the stories are very dark, John, but mostly its a selection of odd people unravelling. Funny you should mention Alan Sillitoe - someone that reviewed my novel said exactly the same thing. Still coming out of the clouds on that comment . . . :)

Glad you enjoyed Uncle Mildred . . . he will be pleased :)

message 45: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Feb 06, 2012 03:09PM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4696 comments Welcome all,

We have a well used author section - why not start your author thread and if your book meets the 'new release' rules you can post it there. Please read the rules first though or you will be pelted with rotten bananas.

message 46: by Susan (new)

Susan (SusieLily) | 469 comments Hi Ellie and John!

message 47: by John (new)

John Logan (JohnAALogan) | 345 comments Hi Simon, thanks! I've started an author thread, unfortunately I've missed that window to announce it as "new release" as I published on December 25. I'll have to be quicker next time (or take my chances with the bananas)!

message 48: by John (new)

John Logan (JohnAALogan) | 345 comments Hi Susan!

message 49: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments hi Ellie. good name! I'm up north in Belfast.

hello other-person-who's-name-ive-forgotten-and-can't-see-on-my-itouch.

message 50: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments JOHN! hi John!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Discovery of Witches (other topics)
Words to the Wise (other topics)
Words To The Wise: Book Two (other topics)
Z14 (other topics)
The Serpent in the Glass (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rachelle Vaughn (other topics)