What's The Name of That Book??? discussion

Children's/YA-SOLVED > Read in the 80s-girl gets period while picking strawberries [s]

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 447 comments All I remember about the book is that the girl is out picking strawberries and eating a bunch of them as she picks. When she goes to the bathroom, she thinks she has eaten so many strawberries that they are passing right through her. She freaks out, and an older woman (maybe her grandmother) has to explain to her about periods.

message 2: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 213 comments I've read this as well. The first thing that came to mind was Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret, but the description is mum on the subject.

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela | 62 comments I can rule out Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret--there is definitely nothing about picking strawberries in it.

message 4: by HeavyReader (last edited Feb 02, 2012 05:28AM) (new)

HeavyReader | 447 comments You are right about that! I can't think of a single Judy Blume character who picks strawberries!

I also think that the character I am thinking of lives in a rural or small town setting. I don't recall her being a city girl.

And maybe her best friend/closest companion is a boy.

I'm not sure, but perhaps after she gets her period, she is forced (chooses?) to be less of a tomboy.

Really, I'm fuzzy about everything about the strawberry/period connection.

message 5: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 447 comments Someone on Abebooks.com BookSleuth just solved this one for me. Here's what that person posted

Johnny May by Robbie Branscum. I remember reading this in the spring of Grade 7 which would have been 1977 & the book was published in Oct 1976 - I remember the jacket/mylar'd from the library was really crisp & new. Here's the write up from amazon:
A nine-year-old girl recounts her experiences growing up in the Arkansas hill country in the late 1940's.

Yippee!! Another one solved.

message 6: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 447 comments Just remembered to add this book to the group bookshelf. it's there now.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1386 comments Thanks, Needleroozer. Did you add its proper shelves, by any chance? I'll add the [s] to the end of the topic title.

We have about a dozen books to be shelved. Rebecca said she'd work on them. I will soon if she can't get to them.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1386 comments And I added the young adult shelf for this book.

Thanks.

message 9: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 447 comments Thanks! Sorry, I only added it to the main read shelf, not to the YA shelf. I'll get it right in the future!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret (other topics)