What's The Name of That Book??? discussion

requests: for books in general > Historical Romance - Particularly Highland or Regency

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Misty (StarPhoenix) | 92 comments Hey, I'm looking for some good Historical Romances - particularly Highland Romances, Regency Romances and Romances involving Pirates or that timeframe. I don't want books with a lot of sex or excessive violence. :)

Anyhoo, any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thank you! :)

message 2: by Darcy (last edited Feb 01, 2012 04:39PM) (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 144 comments Kinley MacGregor Has a two pirate romances and a whole series of Highland ones called The Brotherhood of the Sword. She also has an Arthurian series. Jo Beverley has Regency period romances that are all tied in together, but I don't recall the series name. If you're into Vikings, then I recommend Sandra Hill, she has 2, one of Vikings back in the day, and the II series which are Vikings/Heroines that have switched time periods. Some of the men come to the present, some of the women go back in time.

Tess | 330 comments I really liked the Highlander ones by Karen Marie Moning (her most recent books have been the Fever series). They are supernatural usually involving time travel (back in time). I don't think they are nearly as violent as her Fever paranormal series is. I don't remember the sex, but again I know it wasn't as bad as the Fever series. I ended up really liking the Highlander family it follows.Beyond the Highland Mist

Tess | 330 comments I also really liked the ones by Celeste Bradley - the Liar's Club series which starts with The Pretender

Tess | 330 comments oooh, and practically anything by Lynn Kurland will be sweet with very glossed over sex. I loved "This is all I ask" but looking on goodreads apparently it's #7 in a series, so maybe you'd want to start at the beginning. They are Medieval, not Highlander, but still really good.

Misty (StarPhoenix) | 92 comments Oooo, thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I now have so much to read! I'M EXCITED! :D :D :D :D

Misty (StarPhoenix) | 92 comments YAY!!!!!! :D :D

Melissa | 22 comments I also recommend Lynn Kurland! Her 9 Kingdoms books are awesome! Nothing she writes is over pg13 and her most recent books are all G. You might not know of a book called Aisling of Ire by Annita Stansfield it's a Scottish romance, very clean. Did you know goodreads has a clean romance page, you could look there too!and Donna Hatch and Joyce DiPastenance write clean med-evil books and Lisa T. Bergren just wrote a great series called River of Time, that I really liked!

Melissa | 22 comments I meant PG not G

Misty (StarPhoenix) | 92 comments Oh, there's a clean romance page? Cool, I'll have to check that out! Thank you and thank you for the suggestions! :)

Angel (TXAngel) | 13 comments I highly recommend the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon Diana Gabaldon. It's sci-fi (time travel), but the series is set in the Highlands, the sex is not explicit, and the major battle scenes don't come until you're so hooked on the series that you won't care.

Tonya (TRuff) | 7 comments I second the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. AMAZING! I also LOVE any of Julie Garwood's historical romances. Especially her Crown's Spies series: The Lion's Lady, Guardian Angel, The Gift, and Castles. As well as The Secret and Ransom. Really any of her historical novels are terrific. Also loved The Bride, Prince Charming, Honor's Splendour, Saving Grace. Ok who am I kidding pretty much Julie Garwood's entire catalog of historicals. :) If you want to start somewhere maybe The Secret and Ransom. Ransom is probably my all time favorite which can be read on its own but some back story is provided in The Secret and the heroes in Ransom are introduced in The Secret.

I also like pretty much all of Lisa Kleypas's historical novels as well. Her Wallflowers series was really good.

message 15: by MJ (last edited May 16, 2012 02:34PM) (new)

MJ | 37 comments My absolute favorite, Jennifer Ashley's Highland Pleasures Series:

The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Highland Pleasures, #1) by Jennifer Ashley Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (Highland Pleasures, #2) by Jennifer Ashley The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (Highland Pleasures, #3) by Jennifer Ashley The Duke's Perfect Wife (Highland Pleasures, #4) by Jennifer Ashley

She also has a pirate series (I've only read the first one and it was really good!) called Regency Pirates:

The Pirate Next Door (Pirate, #1) by Jennifer Ashley The Pirate Hunter by Jennifer Ashley The Care & Feeding Of Pirates (Regency Pirates, # 3) by Jennifer Ashley

I've only read the first book in the series and I fell in love with it so I will definitely continue with the series, Pamela Clare's MacKinnon’s Rangers:

Surrender (MacKinnon’s Rangers,  #1) by Pamela Clare Untamed (MacKinnon's Rangers, #2) by Pamela Clare Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3) by Pamela Clare