FABClub (Female Authors Book Club) discussion

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
This topic is about The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
Group Reads > The Heart is a Lonely Hunter Discussion (Feb/March 2012)

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stephanie (seffietay) | 295 comments Mod
You voted on it, and here it is! Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers, one of only 9 female authors on The Modern Library‘s list of the 100 best novels of the 20th Century.

Janel (janel10) | 19 comments I've started it.

Me too! I'm wondering where the story is going, but so far I like the characters. Especially Mick!

Brianna (mamabri) | 5 comments Ok, I'm around page 80 right now. Still trying to sort out where it's going, but yes, I also like the characters.

How's it going Brianna?

I thought it was good, but not incredible or anything, even when you consider the time it was written and that the author was really young. I had trouble connecting with the characters, with the exception of Mick (though she was still underdeveloped when compared to other literary characters I have really liked), and didn't really feel fulfilled at the end.

Here's a question from the Oprah Website (this was an Oprah book club selection at one point)

The first chapter paints a vivid portrait of the friendship between Singer and Antonapoulos. How do you feel about each of these characters from the beginning? How do the men seem similar, other than the fact they are both deaf-mutes? What do you feel the friendship brings Singer in particular?

I personally thought Antonapoulos was absolutely detestable. What a gross character. What did he contribute to his friendship with Singer? Nothing. Why did Singer feel so strongly for him? I have no idea. I have strong feelings about this. Anyone else?

Erika (YA or GTFO) | 3 comments I felt the same way about the Singer/A friendship. If anything, I felt like it was a mirror for all the friendships between Singer and his whacky friends - these sad connections in which one person treats their "friend" like a repository for all their innermost fears/founts/whatever, and even though there is no reciprocation they believe they any live without the person.

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 222 comments For me it was about people's desperate needs to be heard, to be listened to, to feel that someone out there truly understands them. The tragedy of this book is that none of them were being heard, that in the end each of them was so alone. And each of them had a spark of brilliance in them that no one else ever realized. So, so sad.

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 222 comments I'm really glad I read this. It reminds me that there really are good reasons to read besides simple entertainment. (I think I used to know this, but it slips my mind more and more frequently.)

I'm glad I read it too, it was a nice break from all the science and dystopian fiction I've been reading lately.

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 222 comments Which leads me to ask, which is more depressing - McCullers' (which most people seem to feel is fairly autobiographical) view of humanity and its inability to connect with each other - or Tiptree's various views of how humanity will destroy itself?

Jessalyn (plastersaint) I read this in middle school and remember really connecting with it. I think I'll pick it up again...

unread topics | mark unread