The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > What was the name of that book?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 64) (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1524 comments I guess we should have a thread dedicated to
This is the"What was the name of that book?"
I know I can often use some help.

So first up-HBO did a movie a while back called "Cast a Deadly Spell."
It had a PI named Phillip Lovecraft (Fred Ward).
I've heard of a book with a similar plot but now can't remember its name or author.

message 2: by Tamahome (last edited Jan 30, 2012 07:30PM) (new)

message 3: by Warren (last edited Jan 30, 2012 07:44PM) (new)

Warren | 1524 comments I have the movie and have read the wicki.
I stumbled across a book with a similar theme.
Now I can't remember its name.

message 4: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1524 comments Surfing the net I think I'm getting closer.
It was probably Stalking the Unicorn by Mike Resnick
or Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook
Now I just to hunt down a copy and see if either is any good.

message 5: by Jack (new)

Jack Bean (csan1030) | 1 comments ok I have one. many years ago I read a book where the protagonist was a magic user whose spells were cast through glyphs on his body. he would travel between different worlds. anyone ono the name to this book?

message 6: by Doug (new)

Doug | 5 comments My guess on that one is the Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weiss / Tracy Hickman. One of the main characters is named Haplo and casts magic through runes on his body.

message 7: by Alterjess (new)

Alterjess | 318 comments Oh, I loved the Death Gate Cycle!

There's actually a whole nother website just for this sort of question - I've used it to find the names of kids' books before: http://whatsthatbook.com/

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (Pezski) | 411 comments A wonderful movie, Fred Ward as the detective - and it's not available on DVD so you have to find some *alternate* way of getting hold of it.

Based on Lovecraft's Chthulu stories, with a standard hard-nosed PI investigating these weird goings on. Well worth seeing.

message 9: by Warren (last edited May 14, 2012 06:06AM) (new)

Warren | 1524 comments I was in the same boat trying to remember the name for years.
It was; Cast A Deadly Spell.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cast_a_...

Great flick. I jumped through hoops to get the VCR.
The follow up with Dennis Hooper wasn't quite as good.
I never understood why they've shelved the original.
I think it would have made a great series

message 10: by Noomninam (new)

Noomninam | 105 comments Help needed, fellow S&L acolytes! I was thinking of "Rocket books for Tom" and one book came to mind that I read sometime in the past decade, but cannot find in my collection, or Amazon purchase record, or . . . my sieve of a mind. These are the scraps I recall: 1) Probably a female protagonist; 2) Major action concerns some kind of crooked mining operation, on a dreary planet; 3) Unless I'm mentally merging books, there are also extended sequences aboard a massive warship, with cartoonish military command staff; 4) Possibly the first in a series. Sorry, that's all there is . . . but does any of this ring a bell for anyone? Thanks in advance!

message 11: by Boots (new)

Boots (Rubberboots) | 499 comments That sounds a lot like the movie Avatar.

message 12: by Noomninam (new)

Noomninam | 105 comments Boots wrote: "That sounds a lot like the movie Avatar." Well... the planet in Avatar is breathtakingly beautiful -- by contrast. This was more like shabby little town, an important character in a mining office -- almost an Old West feel. I believe there's a large explosion in there somewhere. Thanks, tho!

message 13: by Boots (new)

message 14: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5049 comments Something from Elizabeth Moon's Serrano Legacy series?

http://www.graphicaudio.net/p-328-1-h...

message 15: by Boots (new)

Boots (Rubberboots) | 499 comments That sounds right.

message 16: by Noomninam (new)

Noomninam | 105 comments Very good guess, Tamahome -- but alas, doesn't look familiar. Thanks!

message 17: by Jacy (new)

Jacy (Jazabell) | 50 comments It sound vaguely like "Crystal Singer" by Anne McCaffrey... Back cover "Her name is Killashandra Ree; and after ten grueling years of musical training she was young, beautiful--and still without prospects. Then she heard of the mysterious Heptite Guild on the planet Ballybran, where the fabled Black Crystal was found. For those qualified, the Guild was said to provide careers, security, and the chance for wealth beyond imagining. The problem was, few people who landed on Ballybran ever left. To Killashandra the risks were acceptable..."
This is the first book in a trilogy, the others can be read as stand alone, so it may have been one of those. The second book is Killashandra and the third is Crystal Line.

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy Osterholm (oAmyoh) | 11 comments You're surely not thinking of the Honor Harrington series by David Weber, starting with On Basilisk Station?

message 19: by Noomninam (new)

Noomninam | 105 comments You know, Amy, I started reading 'On Basilisk Station' thinking that had to be it. And will definitely finish it soon, but that's not the one. Thanks, tho! Also, thanks for the 'Crystal Singer' info as well, Jacy. No go, but it sounds like a must-read as well. Actually, it turned out to be 'Spin State,' by Chris Moriarty (as revealed by another S&L'er, Kvon. Came out in 2004. Female author, female protagonist. Followed by 'Spin Control.' Check it out! Thanks again, all.

message 20: by Richard (new)

Richard | 221 comments Warren wrote: "Surfing the net I think I'm getting closer.
It was probably Stalking the Unicorn by Mike Resnick
or Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook
Now I just to hunt down a copy and see if either is any good."

Both authors are excellent, but aside from being what you might call "Hard-boiled detective fantasy" I don't really see any similarity of plot as described for the film (I never saw it). If that's what you are looking for, I'd also add Jim Butcher (The Dresden Files) to the list. There are others writing in this sub-genre. I've read a couple with a vampire detective. For a nominally sci-fi comedy twist, you could even try Surfing Samurai Robots.

message 21: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1524 comments The usual "what was the name of that episode" question:
Twilight Zone -
Aliens track down an old actor
Just so they can make one final episode
of their favorite series

message 22: by Wingedmonkey (new)

Wingedmonkey | 2 comments Maybe you can help me! I just suddenly remember having read a certain science fiction novel years ago as a teenager. Only, I find I can no longer recall the title or even author.

It was about (what I think) was a failed human colony on a distant planet. An elderly woman chooses to remain behind in the abandoned settlement (she decides she's too old to start over).

Turns out the planet is inhabited with a native species, a kind of avian alien (the cover gave them owl heads). They begin to reveal themselves to her and she develops a rapport with them.

I remember very little, sadly. Just one vivid detail I retain is how she once fashioned a necklace for herself out of beads that she painted with whimsical faces. Some of the faces have more than two eyes, a profound symbolism in the aliens' culture.

I'd love to find this novel again and re-read it as an adult. Hope you guys can help!

message 23: by Wingedmonkey (new)

Wingedmonkey | 2 comments Wingedmonkey wrote: "Maybe you can help me! I just suddenly remember having read a certain science fiction novel years ago as a teenager. Only, I find I can no longer recall the title or even author.

It was about (wha..."

Nevermind! I managed to answer my own question and finally found the book: "Remnant Population" by Elizabeth Moon.

message 24: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Curtis (Kingtriton92) | 62 comments Im trying to remember the tittle of a book I read over a decade ago. It was about a boy from a seaside villiage who ends up becoming a wizzard blacksmith in a world where magic is tied to metal and only blacksmiths can harness it. Google has let me down on this one.

message 25: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3384 comments If you can't find the book, I suggest you join the group "What's the Name of That Book???" and post your query there... http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/185

message 26: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (Sandikal) | 1201 comments Wingedmonkey wrote: "Maybe you can help me! I just suddenly remember having read a certain science fiction novel years ago as a teenager. Only, I find I can no longer recall the title or even author.

It was about (wha..."

It's absolutely, without a doubt, Remnant Population by Elizabeth Moon.

message 27: by Warren (last edited Sep 22, 2012 07:37PM) (new)

Warren | 1524 comments Ryan wrote: "Im trying to remember the tittle of a book I read over a decade ago. It was about a boy from a seaside villiage who ends up becoming a wizzard blacksmith in a world where magic is tied to metal an..."

Possibly Ursula K. Le Guin’s A Wizard of Earthsea. If that's the book let us know.

message 28: by Marc (new)

Marc | 17 comments Ryan wrote: "Im trying to remember the tittle of a book I read over a decade ago. It was about a boy from a seaside villiage who ends up becoming a wizzard blacksmith in a world where magic is tied to metal an..."

The Anvil of Ice by Michael Scott Rohan?

message 29: by Eric (new)

Eric Gardner | 113 comments Ryan wrote: "Im trying to remember the tittle of a book I read over a decade ago. It was about a boy from a seaside villiage who ends up becoming a wizzard blacksmith in a world where magic is tied to metal an..."

Could it be: The Magic Engineer? I'm not sure which Recluce novel I'm thinking of but I please let us know what you figure out!

message 30: by Forrest (new)

Forrest Ryan wrote: "Im trying to remember the tittle of a book I read over a decade ago. It was about a boy from a seaside villiage who ends up becoming a wizzard blacksmith in a world where magic is tied to metal an..."

Ashamed to say I haven't read them, but could it be Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker series?

message 31: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1 comments Ryan wrote: "Im trying to remember the tittle of a book I read over a decade ago. It was about a boy from a seaside villiage who ends up becoming a wizzard blacksmith in a world where magic is tied to metal an..."

Sounds like the Circle of Magic series.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58...

message 32: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (ConUladh) | 4 comments Ryan wrote: "Im trying to remember the tittle of a book I read over a decade ago. It was about a boy from a seaside villiage who ends up becoming a wizzard blacksmith in a world where magic is tied to metal an..."

Haven't read it in about 20 years but sounds like The Darksword trilogy by Weis & Hickman to me.....? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darksword

message 33: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 7 comments Marc wrote: "Ryan wrote: "Im trying to remember the tittle of a book I read over a decade ago. It was about a boy from a seaside villiage who ends up becoming a wizzard blacksmith in a world where magic is tie..."

I agree, sounds a lot like the Anvil of Ice trilogy

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2144 comments This may not have an answer, but here's a teaser from a friend:
"is there any book (books) you know of where the main character(s) aren't actually in the book?"

message 35: by Mark (new)

Mark Catalfano (Cattfish) Whaaa?

message 36: by Neil (new)

Neil | 165 comments Jenny wrote: "This may not have an answer, but here's a teaser from a friend:
"is there any book (books) you know of where the main character(s) aren't actually in the book?""

How about those chose your own adventure books where the main character is you? :)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2144 comments Neil wrote: "Jenny wrote: "This may not have an answer, but here's a teaser from a friend:
"is there any book (books) you know of where the main character(s) aren't actually in the book?""

How about those chose your own adventure books where the main character is you? :) ..."

Ooh good one.

message 38: by Ezra (new)

Ezra Farber | 26 comments Hey guys, I like the sleuthing going on here! Here's one that's been eating at me: I remember a short story (I think) of an apocalyptic war fought by an authoritarian country (which uses the pretext of war to keep everyone in line). One soldier discovers that the young men he's fighting actually came from the same country as him! The government just splits up its soldiers and makes them kill each other for the sake of staying in power! Does it ring any bells for anyone?

Thanks!

message 39: by Eric (new)

Eric Gardner | 113 comments Ezra wrote: "Hey guys, I like the sleuthing going on here! Here's one that's been eating at me: I remember a short story (I think) of an apocalyptic war fought by an authoritarian country (which uses the pretex..."

Kind of sounds like 1984 but main character is not a soldier...

message 40: by Scott (new)

Scott (smchure) | 45 comments Noomninam wrote: "Help needed, fellow S&L acolytes! I was thinking of "Rocket books for Tom" and one book came to mind that I read sometime in the past decade, but cannot find in my collection, or Amazon purchase re..."

Sounds a lot like Tumbler, by Brand Gamblin (of "Calls for Cthulhu" fame). I listened to the podcast version of this on podiobooks.

message 41: by Mpauli (new)

Mpauli | 108 comments Okay, maybe I try my luck here aswell. The book I'm looking for is a fantasy book. I don't remember much of it, only that the protagonist becomes an innkeeper in the middle of the book.
I think in the first part there was an adventure, where he acquired a sword.
Then he wants to settle down and opens the inn. But in the end someone comes looking for the sword.

This might not even be accurate, cause I read the book more than 20 years ago. I got it from a german library then, so it has to be even older, cause by the time it was translated into german.

This is a long shot, but maybe somebody remembers this old book. I guess it was on of the first books I read after starting fantasy -probably even the first- so it would be interesting to know what it was and maybe revisit it.

message 42: by Ezra (new)

Ezra Farber | 26 comments Eric wrote: "Ezra wrote: "Hey guys, I like the sleuthing going on here! Here's one that's been eating at me: I remember a short story (I think) of an apocalyptic war fought by an authoritarian country (which us..."

ooh, thanks, now I'm remembering. it was actually a story set in the world of 1984. I think my friend wrote it. Haha, that was a long time ago. Thanks!

message 43: by Scott (new)

Scott (smchure) | 45 comments Mpauli wrote: "Okay, maybe I try my luck here aswell. The book I'm looking for is a fantasy book. I don't remember much of it, only that the protagonist becomes an innkeeper in the middle of the book.
I think in ..."

This sounds similar (but not identical) to the plot of the 1st book in Fred Saberhagen's "Book of Swords" trilogy - The First Book of Swords. Excellent trilogy, well worth the read, even if it's not what you're looking for. It's followed up by the "Book of Lost Swords" series which is just as good.

message 44: by Mpauli (new)

Mpauli | 108 comments Scott wrote: This sounds similar (but not identical) to the plot of the 1st book in Fred Saberhagen's "Book of Swords" trilogy - The First Book of Swords. Excellent trilogy, well worth the read, even if it's not what you're looking for. It's followed up by the "Book of Lost Swords" series which is just as good.

Thank you. I'm going to give it a shot. I had my eye on this series anyway, cause it certainly has the age and there are swords in it. As said before, the only thing I'm really sure about is the part with the inn.

message 45: by Derek (new)

Derek Knox (snokat) | 274 comments Mpauli wrote: "Okay, maybe I try my luck here aswell. The book I'm looking for is a fantasy book. I don't remember much of it, only that the protagonist becomes an innkeeper in the middle of the book.
I think in ..."

Sounds like The Misenchanted Sword by Lawrence Watt-Evans. It's part of his Ethshar series, they're a lot like Discworld.

message 46: by kvon (new)

kvon | 554 comments I second Snokat on the Watt-Evans.

There was a short story in a collection where it's tax time, and everyone has to decide how they want their taxes to get used, and each person designates programs or charities get their money (including the military, which doesn't get very much) and the characters all throw in an other category for 'peace.' Any bells?

message 47: by Charles (new)

Charles Anthony | 2 comments Jenny wrote: "This may not have an answer, but here's a teaser from a friend:

The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman" by Laurence Sterne.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Life...

From the wikipedia article:
"As its title suggests, the book is ostensibly Tristram's narration of his life story. But it is one of the central jokes of the novel that he cannot explain anything simply, that he must make explanatory diversions to add context and colour to his tale, to the extent that Tristram's own birth is not even reached until Volume III."

message 48: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1524 comments In this case its "What was the name of that Tv show?"

"LONDON — A small British company with a dream of building a re-usable space plane has won an important endorsement from the European Space Agency (ESA) after completing key tests on its novel engine technology. Reaction Engines Ltd believes its Sabre engine, which would operate like a jet engine in the atmosphere and a rocket in space, could displace rockets for space access and transform air travel by bringing any destination on Earth to no more than four hours away…."
http://wp.me/pMyPD-ZVW

With these engines we'll be able to fly from a runway straight into space.
Just like in:
(Childhood TV show who's name eludes me).

message 49: by Tassie Dave (new)

Tassie Dave | 1616 comments What decade are we talking about? Were you a child in the 90's?

There was "Space:Above and Beyond" from mid-90's

message 50: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1524 comments I saw them on reruns so that's not help.
I finally remembered that they were puppets and that the show was British.
When I googled that and came up with "Thunderbirds".
It was a bit bit before my time and I don't remember much of the story line.
I just remember them zooming off in some sort of airplane-space ship.
I wouldn't be surprised if the designers of the new engine were fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K9rVR...

PS_-the acting is better then some shows I've seen ;-}

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Little Fuzzy (other topics)
Fuzzy Nation (other topics)
Surfing Samurai Robots (other topics)
Remnant Population (other topics)
The Anvil of Ice (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jim Butcher (other topics)