SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Archive: Past Team Challenges > R4: Team #8 ~ Crazy Eights Bingo Babes

Comments (showing 151-200 of 461) (461 new)    post a comment »

message 151: by Sandra, Winter is Here ...brrr (new)

Sandra | 14353 comments Lucky you, sounds fabulous! Have a great time Leslie :)

message 152: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1138 comments Sandra wrote: "Lucky you, sounds fabulous! Have a great time Leslie :)"

It will be nice. 2 of my kids at college are coming down for the weekend and I will be able to spend some time with my mom and friends. If I could send y'all some beads, I would!

message 153: by Sherri (new)

Sherri | 565 comments OH, sounds like fun Leslie. I will be in NOLA for the Authors After Dark conference in August. So excited to be going and meeting the authors.

I'm so jealous that you are going to Mardi Gras! Should be a blast though. So have fun and be safe.:-)

message 154: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 541 comments Sounds fabulous Leslie! Have tons of fun! Wish I could go with :)

message 155: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1138 comments Thanks everyone! Mardi Gras is a special time in New Orleans and alot of fun if you know how to do it right. It's very different than what you see on TV (for tourists!). It's actually a family event for the people who live there. I love it!!

I'm hoping the genre will be an easy one this week!

message 156: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 541 comments Haha I am rooting for Reader's Choice! That is a really easy one AND it would put us one away from a BINGO!

message 157: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1138 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "Haha I am rooting for Reader's Choice! That is a really easy one AND it would put us one away from a BINGO!"

ME TOO!

message 158: by Nici (new)

Nici (queennici102) | 544 comments how's everyone doing on their ghosts book? I am about two thirds of the way done, it may have been silly of me to choose a book that has two cooks in it, since i have had such a chaotic week! But, almost done!

message 159: by Nici (new)

Nici (queennici102) | 544 comments opps two books, not two cooks!

message 160: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 541 comments I also chose a book with 2 books in it. I am nearly done with the first book and I wasn't expecting my mom to be sick this week. Which that has put a damper on my reading time.

message 161: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 541 comments Dang! I can't catch a break at work. Tomorrow is usually my easy day at work where I can get some reading in. But I just got a fairly large project to work on which will probably have to be done by tomorrow. Between me and my boss today we were working on it for about 5-6 hours.

message 162: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 541 comments All right I am in the last chapter of the first book and then on to reading the 2nd book.

message 163: by Sherri (new)

Sherri | 565 comments I wrapped up my Ghost book this morning. I need to run around and do some errands now, but I'll get my review up and posted later tonight.

Sounds like we've all had a busy week. I know mine did not go exactly as planned and it took me much longer than I thought to finish.

Overall, Third Grave Dead Ahead was about what I thought it would be and I enjoyed it, 4 stars from me.

message 164: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1138 comments Do we know what the new genre is yet? Parades were cancelled due to weather but I just finished a 4 hour lunch with my kids, so it's all good. I have a free evening to hunt for a book!

message 165: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 541 comments Not yet...still waiting I think within the next 3 hours.

message 166: by Nici (new)

Nici (queennici102) | 544 comments Not yet, I have been anxiously awaiting the announcement

message 167: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Feb 18, 2012 03:23PM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 541 comments Shelf just went up ladies!

It is the first Personal Shelf-Favorite Series
✯ Favorite Series
~ choose a book from one of your favorite series

Look forward to what you ladies pick.

message 168: by Sherri (last edited Feb 24, 2012 10:09AM) (new)

Sherri | 565 comments Yea!! New Shelf.
Shelf #3 ~ 2/19/12: 'Favorite Series'
DIRECT LINK: This is a personal shelf, not a Goodreads' shelf.

Not a bad spot for us, begins another bingo on the O line.

Week 2 - O24 Ghosts 5/5
Rec'd:

✔Meghan: The Mediator: Volume 1 - Shadowland & Ninth Key, 21 Feb 2012, ★★★★½ Review
✔Nici: Wicked: Witch & Curse, 17 Feb 2012,★★★½ Review
✔Leslie: The Body Finder, 13 Feb 2012, ★★★ Review
✔Barbara: Haunting Beauty, 21 Feb 2012, ★★★★ Review
✔Sherri: Third Grave Dead Ahead,18 Feb 2012, ★★★★ Review

The Mediator  Volume 1 - Shadowland & Ninth Key (Mediator, #1-2) by Meg Cabot Wicked  Witch & Curse (Wicked, #1-2) by Nancy Holder The Body Finder (The Body Finder, #1) by Kimberly Derting Haunting Beauty (Mists of Ireland, #1) by Erin Quinn Third Grave Dead Ahead (Charley Davidson #3) by Darynda Jones

Week 3 - O23 Favorite Series
DIRECT LINK: This is a personal shelf, not a Goodreads' shelf. 3/5
Rec'd:

Meghan: Night World, No. 3: Huntress, Black Dawn, Witchlight
✔Nici: Midnight Enchantment, 19 Feb 2012, ★★★★★ Review
✔Leslie: Deeper Than Midnight, 22 Feb 2012, ★★★★★ Review
✔Barbara: Shadow Heir, 22 Feb 2012, ★★★ Review
Sherri: Darkness Rising

Night World, No. 3  Huntress, Black Dawn, Witchlight (Night World, #7-9) by L.J. Smith Midnight Enchantment (Dark Magick, #4) by Anya Bast Deeper Than Midnight (Midnight Breed, #9) by Lara Adrian Shadow Heir (Dark Swan, #4) by Richelle Mead Darkness Rising (Dark Angels, #2) by Keri Arthur

message 169: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1138 comments Okay, this was an easy shelf this week. I will be reading Deeper Than Midnight (Midnight Breed, #9) by Lara Adrian. This is one of my favorite series ever. Can't wait to see what others pick. Happy Mardi Gras!!

message 170: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 541 comments Just a friendly reminder from what Steph put on the Q&D thread to make sure you are putting the dates you complete you book when you post your review.

message 171: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 541 comments I think this week I am going to read... Night World, No. 3  Huntress, Black Dawn, Witchlight (Night World, #7-9) by L.J. Smith I read the first two volumes multiple times but have yet to get around to reading the 3rd volume.

message 172: by Sherri (new)

Sherri | 565 comments I'm going to be reading Darkness Rising (Dark Angels, #2) by Keri Arthur

Didn't get around to completing my Third Grave Dead Ahead review. Got wrapped up into finishing a book for a PBS game. I promise to do it tomorrrow.

message 173: by Nici (new)

Nici (queennici102) | 544 comments i finished Wicked: Witch & Curse on 2/17 and give it three and a half stars. I found the beginning of the book to be very confusing, switching time periods when I really didn't know the book was going to do that or what the book was even about. I also think there were parts of the book that needed to be covered in more detail, that were just left out. For instance, Nicole and her mom start doing magic, but there really isn't much talk about how it started. I will probably read the rest of the series

message 174: by Nici (new)

Nici (queennici102) | 544 comments I will be reading Midnight Enchantment for favorite series book

message 175: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 541 comments Yay Nici!!!!

message 176: by Nici (new)

Nici (queennici102) | 544 comments Thanks!

message 177: by Barbara ★ (last edited Feb 19, 2012 07:34PM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 890 comments I'm changing my ghost book to Haunting Beauty (Mists of Ireland, #1) by Erin Quinn.

I was finally able to get this series ender from the library so I'll be reading Shadow Heir (Dark Swan, #4) by Richelle Mead for the Favorite Series book.

message 178: by Sherri (new)

Sherri | 565 comments Morning Ladies! I've updated our selections through Barbara's post. Keep up the awesome reading.

message 179: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 541 comments I am about 1/2 way done with the second book. So I think I will finish sometime today or early tomorrow morning!

message 180: by Nici (new)

Nici (queennici102) | 544 comments i finished Midnight Enchantment and give it five stars. I finished the book 2/19 and am still not sure how to write the review. I love this series and i hope it continues, though i really am not sure it will. There is great scene setting and character development. my biggest problem with this book is that the ending for the last book was very much a cliff hanger and this book didn't seem to pick it up the same way.

message 181: by Sherri (new)

Sherri | 565 comments Yea Nici! Way to go. I'm going to have to add this series to my reading list. I don't think I've read any of her paranormal books, most have been through Ellora's Cave (EC).

message 182: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 541 comments Meghan's Ghost Review
The Mediator  Volume 1 - Shadowland & Ninth Key (Mediator, #1-2) by Meg Cabot
The Mediator: Volume 1 - Shadowland & Ninth Key by Meg Cabot
Rating: 4.5 Stars
Book Completed: 2/21/2012

This book is 4.5 Stars (with a leaning toward 5 stars).

I really liked this book. The writing was good. The characterization for Susannah (the main character) is really good with her kick-ass attitude.

Since there are 2 books in the one I will give 2 different reviews.

Shadowland
Susannah has just moved to northern California from New York City. She is not excited about her new house or her new school which are both really old buildings because she is can see, hear and talk to ghosts. When she gets home she finds a ghost in her bedroom, Jesse. He died probably around 150 years ago and is a continuing story probably through most of the books since he was in the 2nd book as well. At the school, she finds out that the priest/principal is also a ghost mediator like herself and has gotten rid of all the ghost except for one. Heather. Heather died about a week before Susannah started school and is refusing to leave until she has had her ex-boyfriend come to terms with being with her even if that means killing him.

I actually really liked this one because the main character is not only seeing ghost but a really logical thinker and doesn't think like the "popular" kids do. Even if she is automatically seen as a person that will be extremely popular. The only thing I didn't like about this book was that the climax was a bit faster than I would have liked.

The Ninth Key
In this 2nd book of The Mediator series, Susannah is just starting to settle in at her new school and is even starting to date some cute boys from the local public schools. However, she seems to be getting in way over her head when her next ghost exhibition leads her in search for a "Red". This book is a bit of a murder mystery mixed with a bit of kick-ass.

I think this book has a little more of the teenage angst, but still solidly good. What I love about these books is that it keeps you entertained and wanting to read more and to find out what happens next. Especially once you pass the initial settings of the books and get into the actual story. Both books had really good story building.

message 183: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 541 comments Nice work Nici! You are amazing!

message 184: by Nici (new)

Nici (queennici102) | 544 comments Thanks ladies! Sherri, what is ec?

message 185: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 541 comments Yes Sherri what is EC? Inquiring minds would like to know! :)

message 186: by Sandra, Winter is Here ...brrr (new)

Sandra | 14353 comments Ellora's Cave, ladies :)

message 187: by Nici (new)

Nici (queennici102) | 544 comments But what does it mean?

message 188: by Sandra, Winter is Here ...brrr (new)

Sandra | 14353 comments It is the publisher of the books Sherri was referring to. They are on-line publishers mainly, they also do paperbacks usually trade size. All the early Lora Leigh Breeds are through Ellora's Cave.

I even have an Ellora Cave shelf :)

message 189: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Feb 21, 2012 02:43PM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 541 comments Ooooohhhhh!!!! I get it now! Geesh! I don't even pay attention to publishers. To me, a book is a book is a book, but free ones are always the best. :) I love giveaways and review books.

message 190: by Sandra, Winter is Here ...brrr (new)

Sandra | 14353 comments EC have an extensive free short section - Naughty Nooners.

http://www.jasminejade.com/default.as...

message 191: by Sherri (new)

Sherri | 565 comments Thanks Sandra for expaining. I justa assumed that everyone knew about Ellora's Cave since its a popular topic amongst the groups at Goodreads.

All updated to here and I sorry I haven't been around. One person from our group resigned last week and I had a huge deadline this Friday, so work has been kicking my butt. Good noews though - the deadline got extended 2 weeks so a bit of pressure is now off me. Yea! More reading time. :)

message 192: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 541 comments I am glad to hear that Sherri. I am about to have a co-worker leave at the end of this week. So more work for a 24/7 running plant. I am hoping to keep up I think I will even if at the beginning of next week I will be scrambling to finish books for a challenge.

message 193: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1138 comments Hello people! Back from my adventure in New Orleans. Had a wonderful visit with 2 of my kids who are in college and a lovely time with my mom!
I am about halfway through my book for this week - should be finished later today. Happy Reading, everyone!

message 194: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1138 comments Deeper Than Midnight (Midnight Breed, #9) by Lara Adrian

Completed 2/22/12 ***** stars

This is Hunter's story and I've been waiting for it since he escaped from captivity. I really loved this book and I loved how Hunter grew and changed as he fell in love with Corinne. Corinne really epitomized what it is to love another and her steadfast desire to find her son was wonderful. I loved their romance, though my only complaint was that it seemed to move too quickly. I thought that the author did a great job of bringing other member's of the Order into the storyline and you can see where she is going to take it. Sterling Chase is such a complicated character and I've never really liked him much, but I loved the ending with him. Can't wait to read the next one.

message 195: by Nici (new)

Nici (queennici102) | 544 comments I am glad to read your review, Leslie. This is another series that I would like to eventually read. I am really trying to finish up the ones i have already started and then work on series that are already ended. I hate waiting for the next book in the series! I am so grateful that steph pointed out the website that helps me keep track of my series. How does everyone else keep track of their series? Do you guys try to have rules like i do about what to read?

message 196: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1138 comments Nici wrote: "I am glad to read your review, Leslie. This is another series that I would like to eventually read. I am really trying to finish up the ones i have already started and then work on series that ar..."

Nicci, this was one of the first paranormal series that I ever read from the beginning. Prior to this I would just pick them up randomly, and very infrequently. I love this series. I used to not have rules, but as I read more and more, I've begun to have more and more. Since I read so many different genres (though almost all romance)I try and mix it up. I don't have a great way to keep track of all the series I've started recently, so I am open to anything others are doing!

message 197: by Nici (new)

Nici (queennici102) | 544 comments i use www.fictfact.com and it has helped so much

message 198: by Sherri (new)

Sherri | 565 comments I use fictfact also to track my series reading. I love seeing those check marks!

I'll do an update tomorrow.

message 199: by Sandra, Winter is Here ...brrr (new)

Sandra | 14353 comments Love FictFact!

message 200: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 541 comments I love FictFact as well!!!! I am just really bad at keeping that site up to date!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf (other topics)
Darkness Unbound (other topics)
Magic Burns (other topics)
Paranormalcy (other topics)
Twilight (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kiersten White (other topics)
Stephenie Meyer (other topics)
Meg Cabot (other topics)
L.J. Smith (other topics)
Richelle Mead (other topics)
More...