SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Member's Chat > best book you've read this year?

Comments (showing 51-62 of 62) (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 2 next »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 51: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 202 comments I agree mlady_rebecca. The Black Jewels series is one of my favorites and I re-read it frequently. I really liked Sebastian/Belladonna as well, but it is very different. The series that contained the House of Gaian is decent, but not nearly as good as the other two.

message 52: by Marc (new)

Marc (AuthorGuy) | 277 comments I'm really torn between Tanya Huff's Confederation of Valor books, especially the third one, The Heart of Valor. Also, Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series is excellent, much better than his Dresden books, although those are getting better too.

message 53: by Thomas (last edited Dec 09, 2008 12:38PM) (new)

Shannon (Giraffe Days) (Giraffe_Days) Glad to hear another endorsement for Butcher's Codex series - I really really didn't like the Dresden Files book, but a friend recommended the Codex ones so I thought I'd give it a try. Storm Front was such a disappointment for me!

message 55: by Nick (new)

message 56: by Marc (new)

Marc (AuthorGuy) | 277 comments Shannon wrote: "Glad to hear another endorsement for Butcher's Codex series - I really really didn't like the Dresden Files book, but a friend recommended the Codex ones so I thought I'd give it a try. Storm Front..."

They get better, somewhat. Like a lot of such books, the story has to get more and more complicated, even though it doesn't always make sense. That's one of the things I liked about the Confederation of Valor series, the main character got so powerful that she ultimately left, since she didn't fit in where she was anymore. I expect to see more of her as a free agent, though. Both series are cases of stories that go where the suthors didn't expect, I think. The Codex Alera books started out excellent and have stayed that way, in spite of the fact that so many key plot points turn out to be predictable. The story's so well done you don't really mind, and in some ways, Butcher must have realized that most of the readers must have figured it out, the way he foreshadows.

message 57: by Latharia (new)

Latharia | 2 comments I'd have to say it's a toss up between The Name of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and Princeps Fury by Jim Butcher. Glad to see I'm in good company, too! :D

message 58: by Marc (new)

Marc (AuthorGuy) | 277 comments I haven't read Princep's Fury yet, so for me it would be Rothfuss.

message 59: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (Sandikal) How could I have possible forgotten that I really do have a favorite book this year? It's Little Brother by Cory Doctorow. Hands down, that's the best book I've read this year.

message 60: by Lorenzo (new)

Lorenzo (Digitaloz) | 12 comments I don't think I read any books that were published in 2008 but there are two books that I enjoyed more than any of the others I read this year.

Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay
Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore

message 61: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 30 comments Hi everyone...for me it would have to be Butcher's Furies series. Once I got past seeing Harry Dresden as the lead, they really pulled me in.

message 62: by Jeanna (new)

Jeanna | 4 comments Definitely the Mistborn books. I guess technically the only one published this year was Hero of Ages, but I think I read all three of them for the first time this year. It has the best and most coherent system of magic that I've ever read, but it also has a plot and characters! :) (Instead of being one of those books that is so enthralled with its own universe that it doesn't bother to have a plot.)

« previous 1 2 next »

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Anathem (other topics)
Cloud Atlas (other topics)
Blindness (other topics)
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (other topics)
The Name of the Wind (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

George R.R. Martin (other topics)