Making Connections discussion

ARRs COMPLETED (Post Reviews) > 88. FALLING IMMORTALITY by Robert Downs

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tana, won't give Midu muesli! (new)

Tana (tana_t) | 8070 comments Mod
Falling Immortality  Casey Holden, Private Investigator Robert Downs

Genre: Mystery

Falling Immortality

Book Description

Debut, hard-boiled mystery fiction for men. Stephen King's son describes a fitting genre as MANfiction (the opposite of Chick lit).

Casey Holden, former cop, current PI in Virginia Beach, VA, screens his clients the way he screens his women, based on whichever drop-dead gorgeous woman happens to waltz through his door first and manages to hold his attention.
So when Felicity Farren, widow-at-large, struts into his office asking him to solve the two-year-old murder of her husband Artis, she intrigues him.

When Casey starts digging, he learns the murder isn't what it seems to be and he doesn't have a big enough shovel to unearth the truth. And to top it all off, his former rival at the police department, Greg Gilman, is determined to disrupt his investigation.

Casey's challenge is to learn what really happened to Artis, and why Gilman can't seem to remove his head from his butt. And he'll need all of his wits to complete the task.

Be one of the first 20 people to sign up below in order to receive a free copy of this ebook to Read and Review! All Reviews should be posted on Goodreads, B&N, Amazon and Smashwords.

Formats available: Mobi, Epub

All reviews should be completed and posted within 6 weeks after you recieve your copy of the ebook.

Leave us your Name, email address and format required

Mallory Anne-Marie (Ever-Haunted_Ever-Reader) | 209 comments Mallory Anne-Marie Forbes
Archie.Standwood.Author@gmail.com
Mobi

Robert (RobertDownsBooks) | 31 comments Mallory,

Thanks for your interest! I just sent the Mobi version to you.

Robert Downs
http://www.RobertDowns.net

message 4: by Mallory Anne-Marie (last edited Jan 30, 2012 06:16AM) (new)

Mallory Anne-Marie (Ever-Haunted_Ever-Reader) | 209 comments Review of Falling Immortality by Robert Downs 5 Stars!

I sense in this novel, an ebullience, a buoyancy, which is not present in the 1930’s-1950’s hardboiled detective fiction which it at first resembles. Gone is the dark cloud of cynicism predicting trouble on the horizon of Ross McDonald’s Lew Archer, and other famous fictional investigators. I think Humphrey Bogart, so excellent as Sam Spade in “The Maltese Falcon,” might find it difficult trying to portray Casey Holden, the private investigator protagonist of “Falling Immortality,” because Casey is just-irrepressibly buoyant! Instead of a hard-boiled egg, Casey is more like a hard-shelled egg with a chick embryo inside. He is light-hearted often (though he exhibits a dark side, as do we all-or most of us; he’s not immune to personal violence), his job devotion is intermittent, and he surfs! Yes, he’s a skirt-chaser, yes, he gets clients who are suspiciously secretive, yes, he has periods of utter dedication to a case; but that’s just one side of Casey-he has his soft-boiled side too.

That’s what I enjoy so much about this novel: what could have been simple mimicry of a long-standing tradition has instead been wrought into a fully-rounded, three-dimensional character, whom the author understands very clearly. Even the “characters in passing,” those who show up on the backstage or who are met and then depart, are rounded characters, and the author demonstrates surprising insight into their individuality as well.

There’s a light tongue-in-cheek thread of humour running through this private investigator novel, too, and perhaps Robert Downs has now spoiled me for the usual “hard-boiled” fiction, with its down-hearted, eyes on the ground, no hope ever, investigators and police detectives. I probably cannot recommend this novel highly enough; believe this reviewer, it is much more than meets the eye at first glance. Don’t miss it.

message 5: by Robert (last edited Feb 26, 2012 04:07PM) (new)

Robert (RobertDownsBooks) | 31 comments Mallory,

Thanks for the review.

Robert Downs

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) | 238 comments grandadsjellybelly@hotmail.co.uk
Mobi

Looking forward to this as I love Crime/Thrillers/Mysteries

message 7: by Tana, won't give Midu muesli! (new)

sent in a request Fiona

Robert (RobertDownsBooks) | 31 comments Fiona,

Sorry for the delay. I don't have access to my author email account at work. But I hadn't forgotten about you.

Thanks for your interest. I just sent the Mobi version your way.

Robert Downs
http://www.RobertDowns.net

Deb Novack (goodreadscomgoodreaddruidgirl) | 37 comments Hi Robert

I would love to read and review your book. I can use either PDF or Smashwords coupon.

Deb
mom2000_18@yahoo.com

message 10: by Tana, won't give Midu muesli! (new)

sent in your request.

Robert (RobertDownsBooks) | 31 comments Deb wrote: "Hi Robert

I would love to read and review your book. I can use either PDF or Smashwords coupon.

Deb
mom2000_18@yahoo.com"

Thank you! I just sent you the PDF version.

Robert (RobertDownsBooks) | 31 comments Tana wrote: "sent in your request."

Thanks for keeping me in line. You're faster than Carl Lewis.

message 13: by Tana, won't give Midu muesli! (new)

lol your welcome Robert.

message 14: by Midu, wants to try muesli! (new)

Midu Hadi | 669 comments Mod
strideress_longshanks@hotmail.com
epub
reviews only on GR, Smashwords and Shelfari.

Robert (RobertDownsBooks) | 31 comments Thanks for your interest, Midu. I'll send you the epub file this evening.

Deb Novack (goodreadscomgoodreaddruidgirl) | 37 comments Here is my link to my review:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Thank you for a great book Robert!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Falling Immortality: Casey Holden, Private Investigator (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robert Downs (other topics)