Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors (Jane Jameson, #4)
Ask An Author, Win A Book Corner > AC: Molly Harper of Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors (February 27 - February 29)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 82) (82 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Feb 26, 2012 12:11PM) (new)

Fran | 6857 comments Molly Harper, a Paranormal Romance and Women's Fiction author; will be joining us for a Q&A and book giveaway on February 27- February 29, 2012.

Meet Molly:

When Molly Harper was eight years old, she set up a “writing office” in her parents’ living room, complete with an old manual typewriter and a toy phone. And she (very slowly) pecked out the story of her third-grade class taking a trip around the world and losing a kid in each city. She had a dark sense of humor even then.

When Molly was considerably older, she headed for Western Kentucky University, where she majored in print journalism. After graduation, she landed a job with the Paducah Sun and married her high school sweetheart, David, a local police officer. After six years at the newspaper, Molly took a more family-friendly secretarial position at a local church office.

Her husband worked nights and Molly was alone with their small child in the “The Apartment of Lost Souls.” A big fan of vampire movies and TV shows, she decided to write a vampire romance novel. “I wondered what would be the most humiliating way possible to be turned into a vampire—a story that a vampire would be embarrassed to share with their vampire buddies over a nice glass of Type O,” said Molly.

Molly created Jane Jameson, a bit of an accidental loser. Jane is single, almost 30, and a librarian working in Half-Moon Hollow, Ky. She has become a permanent fixture on her Mama’s prayer list. And despite the fact that she’s pretty good at her job, she just got canned so her boss could replace her with someone who occasionally starts workplace fires. Jane drowns her sorrows at the local faux nostalgia-themed sports bar. On her way home, she’s mistaken for a deer and shot by a drunk hunter. And then she wakes up as a vampire. The Jane Jameson series–which includes Nice Girls Don’t Have Fangs, Nice Girls Don’t Date Dead Men, Nice Girls Don’t Live Forever, Nice Girls Don’t Sign a Lease Without a Wedding Ring—was released in 2009 and 2010. The series is fresh and funny, with lots of laugh-out-loud moments. Where else would you find a vampire named Dick Cheney, excerpts from The Guide for the Newly Undead, and information on the support group, Friends and Family of the Undead? Her latest book in the series, Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors will be released on February 28, 2012. Molly’s first non-paranormal trade paperback, And One Last Thing, a very funny, wife-gets-revenge-on-cheating-hubby novel, was released in July 2010. Her first werewolf romance, How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf, was released in February 2011, followed by The Art of Seducing a Naked Werewolf in March 2011.

Books: Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson, #1) by Molly Harper How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf (Naked Werewolf, #1) by Molly Harper Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men (Jane Jameson, #2) by Molly Harper Nice Girls Don't Live Forever (Jane Jameson, #3) by Molly Harper The Art of Seducing a Naked Werewolf (Naked Werewolf, #2) by Molly Harper And One Last Thing ... by Molly Harper Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors (Jane Jameson, #4) by Molly Harper

Giveaway: Molly will be giving away 3 signed copies of Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors. This giveaway is open to participants from the U.S. only.

message 2: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Feb 26, 2012 10:09PM) (new)

Fran | 6857 comments Welcome Molly, it's a pleasure to have you with us!

I hope you enjoy your time with our members; and good luck to you all!

GUIDELINES FOR AUTHOR AND PARTICIPANTS: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

Members, if you can please write the questions in bold; it would be easier for her to know that you have asked a question and less chance that it will be missed. Thanks!

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 8716 comments Eeeek! I wanted to join this chat, but I'll be 'tramping' the Milford Track when you all start chatting with Molly Harper!! :( I'm so disappointed to miss out...

I might leave some questions for you Fran...

Mimi | 5 comments Hey Molly, in your personal opinion... what makes your novels so successful and what makes them so unique or different from other novels? What inspires you the most?

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 1192 comments Hi, Molly, thanks so much for being here!

I was wondering, who would you describe as your most memorable character, and why?

thanks!

Juliana (julianabrian) | 2 comments I really enjoy reading this series. I'm wondering since Jane like kids, is it possible that she will want to have a child ( maybe an adoption one)?
Will you write a story about fairy since it's paranormal story?

Farrah (farrahyunisa) | 3 comments Hi Molly, do you find it hard to write a book about vampire? And if yes, what is the hardest part?

Christine (cdunbar) | 635 comments Hi, Molly! I love your books and I'm so looking forward to reading more of Jane's story!

If you could choose which supernatural being you could be, what would you choose and why?

Michelle (chelle90) | 51 comments Hi Molly! I have really enjoyed reading about Jane's (mis)adventure's as vampire. Thank's for the many laugh/giggles !

Anna (librarylessons) | 4 comments Hi Molly! I was hooked when I first heard Jane was a librarian and a vampire heroine. What a fun combo to read because I'm a librarian! Was there a librarian in your past that inspired you to read/write/create Molly?

message 11: by Heather (last edited Feb 27, 2012 07:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Heather (MessyBar) | 189 comments Thanks for answering our questions, Molly.
Although I have deeply loved your Jane Jameson and Naked Werewolf series, And One Last Thing ... holds a very special place in my heart. It was one of my top reads of 2011 and convinced several friends to read it too.
Any plans to re-enter the non-paranomal world with another book?

Julie | 56 comments Hello Molly,
I just read How to Flirt With a Naked Werewolf and found it hilarious yet it had enough emotion to make it a great read. I loved that the heroine confronted people and life around her with just the right amount of boldness and tenderness. Since it is the first book that I have read of yours, I'm looking forward to reading your other stories. I like that you used a snowbound situation to inspire the setting for your book. Do you find it easier to go with actual life situations and experiences to influence your stories?

Molly Harper (MollyHarper) | 31 comments Hey All! I will try to answer these in order, to prevent skipping. Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by.

Anne- There's no safe way to answer that one. :) I like to think it's the voice that attracts readers. And my take on vampires is a bit more humorous than the average paranormal romance, so that makes a bit different.

Molly Harper (MollyHarper) | 31 comments Sassafrass- Dick Cheney, and not just for his name. He's always been my favorite character, which is why he gets all the great lines.

Alycia | 152 comments I'm so excited for this new release.

Molly, Will there be more Jane Jameson books after this release or will the series wrap up? Love the character Dick, by the way :)

Molly Harper (MollyHarper) | 31 comments Juliana,

That's a great question. In the fourth Jane book, NICE GIRLS DON'T BITE THEIR NEIGHBORS, she ends up with a child of sorts. She has to turn a teenage acquaintance to keep him from dying, much like Jane herself was turned. He lives with her and, in typical teenage fasion, turns her world upside down.

Molly Harper (MollyHarper) | 31 comments Oh, and also, no, I won't be writing about fairies. The subject has never really appealed to me as a reader, so I don't think I'll try to tackle it as a writer. Unless I was writing a children's book.

Molly Harper (MollyHarper) | 31 comments Farrah,

Yes, it was at first. I had trouble with descriptions of biting someone and the taste of blood. But the longer that I've worked on the series, the easier it's become.

Molly Harper (MollyHarper) | 31 comments Christine, I would want to be a shifter, I think, because they seem to be able to live mostly normal lives. But they can still do some pretty fantastic stuff.

Molly Harper (MollyHarper) | 31 comments Thanks, Michelle!

Molly Harper (MollyHarper) | 31 comments Anne, in middle and high school, I spent a lot of time in the school library, so the librarians were pretty important to me. :) Also, I worked at a newspaper office right across the street from our local public library. I spent a lot of lunch breaks there, and got to know the staff well. I learned the lingo and some of the perks/quirks of the job. So when I started writing, I thought a librarian would make a pretty great vampire.

Molly Harper (MollyHarper) | 31 comments Heather, yes, I hope to make an announcement about that soon!

Molly Harper (MollyHarper) | 31 comments Julie, always! I have a t-shirt that says, "Careful, you may end up in my novel." Ans it's the truth. I'm pretty sure the only reason my family still talks to me is because they're gathering evidence for the inevitable lawsuit.

Iris (Ipro) | 276 comments Hi Molly and Welcome!

8 years old is pretty young. Did you ever want to do anything else, be something other than a writer?

message 25: by Molly (last edited Feb 27, 2012 08:49AM) (new) - added it

Molly Harper (MollyHarper) | 31 comments Iris - Yes, mad scientist was also an option. My mom got a big kick out of that. I didn't want to just be a scientist. I wanted to be a mad scientist. (I was nine.)

message 26: by Heather (last edited Feb 27, 2012 09:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Heather (MessyBar) | 189 comments Molly wrote: "Heather, yes, I hope to make an announcement about that soon!"

Thanks for the reply and this news is very exciting!
Are you a big fan of your audiobooks, and audiobooks in general? Pretty sure I've only read your work with Amanda Ronconi's voice in my head and she's amazing. Not sure I would enjoy them as much without her timing and voice.

message 27: by Dee, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 6978 comments hi Molly, thanks for joining us.

I have to admit that I loved listening to your Naked Werewolf series that was narrated by Amanda Ronconi - did you have any say in who was narrating your books and do you like how they turned out?

message 28: by Dee, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 6978 comments lol...heather and I were writing an audiobook question at the same time ;)

Heather (MessyBar) | 189 comments We must feel equal love for them. =)

Molly Harper (MollyHarper) | 31 comments Dee and Heather, Thanks! It was funny. I got to approve Amanda's voice before the recording. She was chosen as my narrarator by Audible without my speaking to the representatives, but she the way she inflects and pauses to let punchlines land is very close to the way I pictured Jane speaking. (Which is very close to the way I speak.) And she's done such a wonderful job with all of my characters, I can't imagine any one else voicing my books!

Iris (Ipro) | 276 comments We've heard from previous authors on both school of thoughts, but I'm interested in your process of writing. Do you outline your stories first or let the characters have free rein?

Lady Allison | 118 comments Hi, Molly! Thanks for taking the time to answer questions! I love your books & when I worked at the Public Library, I got as many people as I possibly could to read them :) I just finished Driving Mr. Dead yesterday & really enjoyed it! Will it become a series, or do you intend for it to stand alone?

Joanne | 5 comments Hi Molly. I really enjoyed the Naked Werewolf series. Any plans on adding to them? I haven't read the Jane Jameson series yet but plan to start it soon. Can't wait to read them.

Alycia | 152 comments I thought of another question, Molly does the relationship between Jane and her mother and Jane and her sister echo in any way in your own relationship? I couldn't help but to sympathize with Jane.

Macwolf01 [Elise] (Macwolf01) | 977 comments Hi Molly, I really enjoyed reading your stuff one of things like love most was the humor. Is it hard to write in humor or does it come naturally for you?

Molly Harper (MollyHarper) | 31 comments Iris, I am a combination "panster and plotter." I'm a shortster. I write the first and last chapters and have a rough idea of what happens in between, but sometimes, little plot elements pop up and surprise me.

Molly Harper (MollyHarper) | 31 comments Lady Allison, Thanks! It's a standalone. It was just meant as something fun to tide readers over until NICE GIRLS DON'T BITE THEIR NEIGHBORS.

Molly Harper (MollyHarper) | 31 comments Joanne, I hope to make an announcement about that soon.

Molly Harper (MollyHarper) | 31 comments Alycia, no no no. I'm very close to my mom and sister. I know it seems like I have huge mommy issues, but she's the reason I'm a romance writer. She had this huge closet full of romance novels, which I stole shamelessly and read when I was a teen.

Molly Harper (MollyHarper) | 31 comments Macwolf - That's the part that comes most naturally to me. Plotting is still a bit of a challenge.

Macwolf01 [Elise] (Macwolf01) | 977 comments Well I love your humor Thanks so much!

Areana | 2 comments Hi Molly I am very excited to meet you and I and I am neebie writer who shares you affinity for wolves =)

Have you found yourself falling for your were MC... or is that just me?

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, Molly! I'm embarrassed to admit that I had not been aware of you or your work until I got the email from Fran announcing your Q&A session here (Thank you, Fran!!). I knew the minute I finished reading Meet Molly blurb that I am going to LOVE your books!! Your sense of humor already has me laughing out loud and grinning from ear to ear :)

Did your sense of humor come from a family very diverse in the use of it, or did you develop your own through your sense of imagination? Also, were you a daydreamer as a kid, and did you get into trouble for it at school?

Nancy H | 411 comments Hi Molly! I just finished And One Last Thing and just loved it! It had me laughing out loud, and identifying in some ways with the main character. I have been recommending it to all of my friends, and they can't wait to read it. Are you planning more novels in that genre? (Please, please say yes!!)

message 45: by Kryptonite (last edited Feb 27, 2012 02:27PM) (new)

Kryptonite (SG34) | 17 comments Hi Molly, thanks for the Q&A.
What made you decide to become an author and why Paranormal?

wolf spirit | 22 comments Hello Molly

IN this book was the beginning hard to write or the end? did this book turn out to be what you wanted? Also did this book have any aspect on your life or experiences?

message 47: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 6857 comments Welcome Molly!

I've read How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf (Naked Werewolf, #1) by Molly Harper and And One Last Thing ... by Molly Harper and loved them both. I have Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson, #1) by Molly Harper on my ereader waiting for me. I look forward to reading your entire backlist :)

And One Last Thing ... was so full of humor but it's also such an uplifting story of a woman finding her way and herself. You turned the difficult topic of infidelity into a positive, moving story of growth.

I adored Emmett, Lacey's brother. Any chance of him getting his own book? Or maybe a short story on your website, or anything Emmett? That fabulous guy needs his story told, LOL.

Ruth Noemi Rojas (httpwwwgoodreadscomcollinss66) | 10 comments Hi Molly. Did you ever want to be an author when you were little?! Did you ever think you were going to become as famous as you are?! I <3 your books!!

Tina Theresa | 146 comments Hi Molly. Do you get to choose the book covers? Did you think of having the cartoonish covers? How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf cover was so different. When I went to the bookstore to look for your book, I remembered the cover and not your name.

Rachael (Rachiiebabes) | 4 comments Hi Molly. Thank you for joining us (and thank you Fran for the update).I was wondering who you've been reading lately and if you had any writers that influence your writing?

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors (other topics)
The Art of Seducing a Naked Werewolf (other topics)
Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (other topics)
Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men (other topics)
And One Last Thing ... (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Amanda Ronconi (other topics)