Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Books by Title/Title=topic name > God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut

Comments (showing 51-67 of 67) (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 2 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 51: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 4540 comments Joy H. (of Glens Falls) wrote: "Jim, I have finally taken the plunge. "

It is a bit scary to make such a global change, but I'm glad you did. Congrats. Getting over the fear of blowing up your computer is a major step.

I found that changing GR also changed my Gmail account, but for the worse, so I went back to the defaults. Some sites require I change the colors just for them, although I usually don't bother unless I'm very interested. Yellow writing on a light green background should be a hanging offense! ;-)

I forgot to mention making fonts larger, but I do that on some pages, too.

message 52: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 13154 comments Jim, I haven't yet noticed the effects my changes may have in other places online. I must say that the gray background is so much better on my eyes. And enlarging the print makes the text darker as well as larger. That helps too. BTW, what does GR stand for?

message 53: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4049 comments I didn't like it, so I changed mine back. It was too bright, busy-looking. I like the green/tan/black colors, sedate.

message 54: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Dec 15, 2008 08:05AM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 13154 comments Jackie wrote: "I didn't like it, so I changed mine back. It was too bright, busy-looking. I like the green/tan/black colors, sedate."

Jackie, what's green, what's tan, what's black? I'm trying to imagine how that looks. Is your background still white?

message 55: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4049 comments Background: White
Color of text in the posts: Black
Where it says 'message 54: by' that is in black, but where it says Joy H, that's in Olive Green, while the background of that is tan. And 'Moderator (last edited...) is in gray.
Links are in Olive green, same for 'previous' 'back to top' and 'add book/author'

message 56: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 13154 comments Jackie, your computer must be very different from mine. Some day I'll have to show you in person. It's too hard to explain. Well, I'll try. All of my background is gray (except the box while I'm composing, which is white). Your name "Jackie" and mine, "Joy H etc", are blue. All other visited links are purplish-pink.

I tried tan and it was too dark. I tried olive green and it was too light. You'll see when we get together one day.

message 57: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 4540 comments You can change all kinds of colors. Takes some fiddling.

GR = GoodReads

I may be leaving early. I made it in, but we're getting snow & ice, so The Boss said to come home early. She's off of school today. The snow & ice isn't much, but we're not set up for it very well. I was in 4WD for the first 15 miles this morning. The roads hadn't been touched.

message 58: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 13154 comments Snow and ice in Kentucky?
I'll have to check my map of the US. :)
Be careful driving, Jim.

message 59: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4049 comments I was at my sister's house in Kentucky for December 9years ago and it was cold, and it snowed too. I thought it would be warmer, but it wasn't.

message 60: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 4540 comments We're in the north central part of Kentucky, just north of the capital, Frankfort. The weather is about like it was in Maryland (I was in the north central part of that too, 5 miles from the PA line) & so we do get snow, but not a lot. Unfortunately, this morning we had ice first, then an inch of snow on top. The roads were untouched, so driving was interesting. A little too much gas going up a hill & I'd lose traction, even in 4WD.

We're supposed to get more as the day progresses. Whether it is snow or ice is anyone's guess. I think I'll take off an hour or two early, depending on how it goes. Probably not going to be a good time, but the less traffic the better.

message 61: by Jackie (last edited Dec 16, 2008 06:31AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4049 comments Jim,
How close (or far) are you from the Pendleton/Bedford area? If I remember correctly, it's in the northern part of the state.

message 62: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Dec 16, 2008 06:41AM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 13154 comments I see by the map that Kentucky is at the same latitude as Virginia. So it's not as far south as I thought it was.

Here's a map of Kentucky: ====>
http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/co...

I see that Frankfort is in the northern part of the state.

Here's a page with the current weather conditions in Kentucky: ====>
http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/co...
It shows Frankfort with 25 degrees F with light freezing rain at 9:36 AM.

message 63: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 4540 comments We're about 30 miles SE of Pendleton. They're closer to the river, on the other side of 71. Look up Bagdad, KY. I'm about 5 miles east of it on KY 12 & 2815.

My farm is on the SW corner of the intersection. If you look at a satellite view (old) you can actually see my house & 2 big barns. One barn is gone, 2 new ones are up. Our property goes from 2815 west to the county line & is about 3 times as long as wide. Satellite view is cool.

Here's a link:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?address=...
You'll need to pull the map up to see the southern part of our property. It goes down to the next lane.

message 64: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 13154 comments Wow, Jim, that's beautiful country!
No wonder you wanted to move there.
Yes, that's a great satellite view.
What a world we're in that we can see pics like that.

message 65: by Jackie (last edited Dec 16, 2008 07:55AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4049 comments Jim,
Nice. It is beautiful in Kentucky. Do you have horses? My sister does. She's selling a couple of them, finances not being what they used to be. It's sad, because owning horses has been her dream since she was a little girl.

Joy,
This Earth holds much beauty. We're very fortunate in the US; we have such diversity with our beautiful landscapes.
My husband laughs at me because I want to live in the southwestern desert AND in Alaska. Vastly differenty landscapes, yet beautiful in their own unique way.

message 66: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 13154 comments Jackie - See Jim's comments about his horses at: ====>
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

message 67: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 13154 comments I've started a new topic.
See it at: ====>
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

« previous 1 2 next »

Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater (other topics)
Welcome to the Monkey House (other topics)
Breakfast Of Champions (other topics)
Slaughterhouse-Five (other topics)
Venus on the Half-Shell and Others (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kurt Vonnegut (other topics)
Philip José Farmer (other topics)
Theodore Sturgeon (other topics)
Robert A. Heinlein (other topics)
Edgar Rice Burroughs (other topics)
More...