Life As We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1) Life As We Knew It discussion

Should I read?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 98) (98 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina and why?

Kelly YES. This is an amazing trilogy that will make you think about all of the conveniences that we take for granted. It will also make you want to hide in your basement and stockpile canned goods, but that's beside the point :)

Rachel Seigel Yes! The first two books are excellent and can be read independently of each other. One is the rural perspective, the other the urban perspective of life after a major disaster such as the one portrayed in the book. They are contemporary, and thought provoking, and the aftermath of the disaster will get you thinking. The third book ties the two stories together, but I didn't feel that it was as strong as the first two.

Carly Yes it was fairly good and worth your time, but i found the second book not so good because it's from a completely different perspective so i jumped right into the third book and was pleasantly surprised.

Allison Yes, but I would actually recommend The Dead and the Gone (the second book). While some might say that it's the difference between rural and city life, really there's a lot more to it than that. The Dead and the Gone is much darker and suspenseful. It's a great survival/apocalypse series and I really think you will enjoy it :)!

In case you're worried about reading in the wrong order, don't worry about it! I read the second book before the first (I didn't know it was part of a series) and I had no idea understanding the story!

Allison Rachel wrote: "Yes! The first two books are excellent and can be read independently of each other. One is the rural perspective, the other the urban perspective of life after a major disaster such as the one port..."

Absolutely. The third one was very weak, but it's nice if you really wanted resolution.

message 7: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina thank you! now i know what to look for

message 8: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia You should definitely read this book!!! It's interesting and suspenseful!

Patrick IMHO: No. I found it to be uninteresting and have a bunch of complaints with the story line. The characters alone were horrible.

Kolleen Fraser I read the first one so far & thought it was good. Not action packed but it kept me reading, Her last walk to town had me in tears. I finished it thinking it was great. Will read the rest just cuz I need closure ;)

Destiny Maldonado Read this book! =) The story keeps you feeling as though you are the character starving, in trouble, helpless. You won't even realize that it's just a book. I wanted everything to all of a sudden be okay, but it makes us realize that we need to stay strong in times of terror. =)

message 12: by Erika (new) - rated it 1 star

Erika No I couldn't stand this book! It was good in the beginning but then it got worse and worse and the ending was terrible. The only reason I read this is because I bought it and I had nothing better to read. I wish I hadn't and I told my friend to never let me finish the series because I might be tempted just because I like to finish series but I don't really care about what happens in the next two books.

message 13: by Dani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dani I really...enjoyed it...not sure that's the word for it. I found it hung over me while I was reading it, and I felt uneasy the whole time! It really caught me up...I thought the first book was far and away the best, although I enjoyed the next two as well.

message 14: by Diane (new) - rated it 1 star

Diane Capistran I read the first book did not care too much for it was kind of boring .I have the two othet books have not yet read them yet but I will ,I have to finish a book/series when I start it.

message 15: by Kris (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kris I have read the first two and enjoyed them both.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

If you want to be utterly depressed and scared out of you mind about an asteroid hitting the moon, go ahead, otherwise, I'd avoid this book. It was saddening and creepy. I never read the other ones, because I didn't care much for this book.

Abbey I also read this book and didn't care too much for it. It made me feel like I had anxiety (which I do not) the whole time I was reading it. Made me feel scared. I didn't like it.

message 18: by Jack (last edited Mar 11, 2012 07:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jack My sister read it after me, and now she's obsessed with preparing for apocalypses.

Just a warning.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't like it much, but that was because it's in journal format and I thought it didn't fit at all.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Jack wrote: "My sister read it after me, and now she's obsessed with preparing for apocalypses.

Just a warning."

It did freak me out and make me like oh god what if that did happen?!

Hannah Grace I LOVE this book. Everyone should read it. There are some really funny quotes in this book. I finished it in a day.

Casey Kelly wrote: "YES. This is an amazing trilogy that will make you think about all of the conveniences that we take for granted. It will also make you want to hide in your basement and stockpile canned goods, but ..."

I was thinking the same thing when I finished this book....
after my dad finished this book, he was acting even more worried about food storage for a little while. It was hilarious.

But you should read it. I enjoyed it. This book definitely caught my attention.

Angieleigh I preferred the first book to the second and third, but overall it was a good series that will DEFINITELY make you think about how much we take for granted and how life as we know it can change in an instant.

message 24: by Madi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Madi Yes, it is a great book that keeps you wanting to read more, and it's got great humor in it, you'll love it if you like Apocalyptic type stories, very suspenseful.

Sarah It is a great book! Read ASAP!

Chin123 I like the book, but I guess it is kind of slow though!
BUT still read!

:)

Jolene Yes deffinitly i looved it!!!!

Cassidy Ummmmm YES! it was great

Briana I read the first one and was scared because we had a really bad rain storm after and I thought the moon got WAY BIGGER after that and my mom was like'Stop it you're being paranoid!'. But is was god and I can't wait to read the second and third.

Janice I loved this series. I couldn't wait to read the next book to find out what happens next. I highly recommend.
Jan

message 31: by Liz (last edited May 10, 2012 03:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz So long as you can turn off the science part of your brain - suspend your disbelief, I'd really recommend it. The story's main focus is on the people and their struggles anyway, as any good post-apocalyptic tale should be. It's all about how the struggle to survive whittles people down to their bare essence, leaving behind all the trappings of civilization until there's nothing left but what it takes to get through one day to the next. I think this book, and "The Dead and the Gone" are good examples of this genre.

(It took me a while to find it, but if you're at all interested in why the science is appalling, here's a good opinion article: Review of Life As We Knew It, by: Marianne Dyson)

Steph YES YES YES!!!! It was such an amazing series, I wish she would make a fourth book so bad!!!! :)

message 33: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa Just dont finish it when the moon is full or when the 'super moon' is floating around. I always know a good book when I am secretly scared of the 'fictional consequnces' and I was totally checking out the moon for two days after finishing the first book!

Hannah Grace OMG YES!! This book is sooooo good. I finished it in about two hours. I couldn't put it down. Don't read the second one though. It's about some different boy and it's really boring.

Meenu yes of course you should read it!!!It was an amazing book and i loved it, but everyone has their own preferences, but i would recommend it to anyone.:)

Meenu Zanna wrote: "OMG YES!! This book is sooooo good. I finished it in about two hours. I couldn't put it down. Don't read the second one though. It's about some different boy and it's really boring."
I loved the second one, it was so good!! -_-

Katie-lyn Talbot Yes! It's a quick and easy read. But it really makes you think. It also leaves you feeling a little unsettled because natural events could cause a similar outcome. You'll also find yourself looking at the moon more often and wondering...

message 38: by Tasabih (new) - added it

Tasabih yes is an amazing book

Jessica no, kinda boring

Katie Yes, I really liked the first 2 but didn't like the last one.

Michael Burhans I thought the entire trilogy was excellent and should be read in order. I did not think the third book was weak either. Different, and a more morose tone, but not weak.

℘~®~i~ ツ ~ $☻L☺ ~ ☾ℜ€D€ℜ€  ♥ ~!! I really liked this one, and I just can't wait to read the other two sequels. It's a nice book and I like how the author has told it from a teen's point of view.

message 43: by Kana (last edited Jun 02, 2012 11:07AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kana It was a pretty good book! not amazing but definatley worth the read! (sorry i spelled definately wrong im terrible at spelling!)

message 44: by Andrew (new) - added it

Andrew Is this at all like One Second After? loved that book and have been looking for something like it

Michael Burhans Similar, just a different form of disaster Andrew. The entire set was very good. i really enjoyed the whole series.

Kendall Branton No not worth it

Kayla Some people have said that it's really boring, but I guess it depends on what kind of books you like. I really liked it. I've only read Life as We Knew it, not the rest of the trilogy, but I couldn't stop reading. It fascinated me!

message 48: by saz (new) - rated it 2 stars

saz yea, it bored me WAY out...

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I literally just read this book and really liked it. At the beginning I hated it though and put it down for a couple weeks but then I picked it back up again and read it in, like, two days. Its a really, really good book.

message 50: by Andrew (new) - added it

Andrew Hmmm...well the question now is, as a 23 yr old dude, would i enjoy it?

« previous 1

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Life As We Knew It (other topics)