1984 1984 discussion

Should I read?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 62) (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina is this book worth my time?

Nicole Of course! I can think of few books that are a waste of time. I read it in school and it has been a loooong while since then. I do remember somewhat enjoying it and not having to force myself through it.

message 3: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina My teacher recommended it but i wanted someone an opinion from someone else first. Thank you!

Kirby definitely...I do remember it being a little hard for me to get into it at the beginning, but I persevered and ended up loving it!

have you ever read animal farm by him? I loved that one, too, and it's a pretty easy read...

message 5: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina No, I've never read Animal Farm. What's it about?

Debbie Hazeleger Yes it is. It's dystopian fiction and something which will stay with you for a long time.

Animal farm is about animals on a farm taking control, attempting to build utopia, and then it allll goes to shit.

I personally love his work, but your milage may vary from mine. I can still recommend at least to try out. If you hit any snags/ don't get something, by all means talk with your teacher, I'm sure he'd be glad to help, or us :).

message 7: by Kirby (last edited Jan 25, 2012 12:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kirby well...it's about a farm in england where the animals (who can think and speak) overthrow their human masters, and develop a sort of animal-run utopia after they expel the humans- the story (and lesson) is then about what happens to their new society...orwell wrote it as a sort of commentary on communism.

I just really enjoyed the story and the characters, and it was a very quick, easy read. I had to read it in high school about 10 years ago, and then reread it just a few months ago...it's been a lot longer since I read 1984, though.

*edit*
sorry, I didn't see that someone else had already answered the question! :)

Shannon Nina: This book is worth your time because it is well written and it is a great social commentary that you will find yourself thinking about long after you have finished the book.

message 9: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina Thank you for your suggestions on both 1984 and Animal Farm

Jessica Yes, one of the best books in the world!!!

Pamela This is my favourite book, I would highly recomend it.

message 12: by Ana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ana It's important to read this book if only to understand all the allusions that are made on a daily basis to it-- in news articles, other books, etc. There are many terms and ideas from this book that have served as a launching pad for other books. It's one of those foundational books in modern literature. A good pairing would be 1984 and Brave New World.

Michelle YES YES YES!

Sandra I agree with Ana about reading both 1984 and Brave New World, they are great books.

message 15: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil Mathies There are a lot of other books and plays that I have read that are far more entertaining, but for me, 1984 is amongst a very few books that really opened my eyes and made me look at the world and our society in a different way. It's not just a good book; it's an important one.

Christos Tsotsos what books do you generally like to read?

message 17: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Finley This is a book that will realy make you think about where the world is going. Might even get you scared of where it's going. You should read it, though. I think everyone should. The book is more of a warning to the world than a story.

message 18: by K.l. (new) - rated it 5 stars

K.l. Dillon It's a simple answer: Yes!! I don't want to repeat what everyone else has already said (brilliant answers by the way). It's just one of those books that will stay with you forever. It's a book that will creep into your psyche, forever. So..read it!! And, I hope you enjoy :)

Richard if you haven't read it i'd say read We by Yegevny Zamyatam instead, it was the precursor to 1984 and is largely a better book. These days We is a very under read book as if you have read 1984 you have read We - which strikes me as a great shame for Zamyatams legacy - to be the guy that Orwell completely ripped off

so read We, then read 1984, and then decide if it is a work of genius or a work of plagarism

message 20: by E.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

E.P. Rose Yes, you jolly well should read 1984.
It's fantastic.

Stephanie Great book, worth the read; it took me a month off and on reading to get through it. It's worth the time and makes you look at how things are now and you can see the similarities to current events, scarry.

Sonora Do NOT read this book if you have strong opinions about how a main character in that kind of situation should act. Personally, I think the main character is a weak, compromising excuse for a man. Don't read it if you don't want that kind of character.

Stephanie Sonora, I agree, he is a bit weak; still a great novel.
I wish I would have read this book at a younger age.

message 24: by B.F. (new) - added it

B.F. Spaeth This is one of the most important books ever written. Orwell was a visionary. Everything that he predicted in this book has now come to poisonous fruition in the US.

DHRUVA  SHARMA Nina wrote: "is this book worth my time?"

Nina ,its one of the best book ..with every page it creates hidden urge to take it till the end ..and also gives you and insight to what extent can the govt or bureaucratic can exploit the common people to achieve their personnel goal...so go ahead and read

but first you should go through Animal farm by the same author ..then you will be compelled to read 1984.

Scott Yes, everyone should read this book, and The Handmaid's Tale, especially now.

Camille I remember reading this for school and I actually enjoyed it! I read it in a weekend because I couldn`t put it down. There are some parts that are kinda slow, but it`s all in all a very good book!!!

Frank It's all around you.

Inês I'm gonna use reference of this book on my group's job of Media (in the privacy title) because of that strong control that Big Brother has in everithing... i've just see the movie but I'm like you I didn't know if i should read it. I was undecided between Brave New World and 1984 but now i'm reading the first one

Ariel my teacher read that book and i was curious about what it was about. i was amazed because i didn't expect a story like that. to me that is an out of the ordinary book. besides the year 1984 has passed, but it is a classic.

message 31: by B.F. (new) - added it

B.F. Spaeth Anything seem familiar about this book to anyone? Can't put my finger on it...

Matthew Williams If this book isn't worth your time, none are! It'll change your life!

Neville Delaney Excellent book, worth keeping in mind the accuracy in which he predicted our modern society from a purely fictional perspective! Sometimes feels surreal, should finish with LOL .... Ironically

Han Thon Definitely worth reading. The story blew my mind when I first read it.

Marie-pier It's worth it, especially to be able to fully understand the extend of the expression :big brother is watching.

Kristin Definitely a must read! It's one of the most classic futuristic dystopian novels ever!

Marie-pier Does android dream of electric sheep is pretty good too

Kaitlyn Nina wrote: "is this book worth my time?"

Definitely!!!!!!! I loved it. (This coming from a girl who usually only reads teen fantasy/fiction books=IT WAS A GREAT BOOK!)

Kaitlyn Han Thon wrote: "Definitely worth reading. The story blew my mind when I first read it."

Same here. I've read it three times altogether and it's like being blown away every time.

Julia Absolutely worth reading. A little slow to start, but it's really a fascinating story.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Definitely! It will change the way you see cctv for start and with that you might wonder if freedom it's no more than a virtual concept.

message 42: by Peter (new) - added it

Peter This book is definitely worth reading then I suggest reading Huxley's Brave New World for a different slant on Dystopia.

Wilbert Apart from my agreement on ideology and vision, expressed in many earlier comments, I'd say this is not Orwell as fictionist at his best, for example, Coming up for Air is much better novelling ;-) That said, 1984 is a momentum in English literature.
Anyone triggered by 1984 or Animal Farm; please do read some of Orwell's diaries, or his novel Down and out in Paris and London.
Orwell is so much more than just the author of two great books. Just google his essay Why I Write....

Good luck and good fun to you all.

W.

Wilbert Perhaps I explain a bit more in favour of Orwell, or Eric Blair as he was in real life; he was a recognised journalist and had more than a bit to say in politics at the time.
My sympathy though was won by his crazy ways of getting stories. Before getting anywhere near a real job, Orwell almost literally explored the gutters to keep alive, this is what his book Down and Out... is about.
Even when established as a journalist, he would go undercover, act as a drunk, and get locked up; just to get a real life piece of how jail was in England, not so much fun....

Orwell always was allergic to false heroes and rewriting history in favour of the winning party. That is actually what much of 1984 is about.
He was a soldier in several wars and came to realise that true heroes never get mention and people who barely existed get invented as heroes afterwards.
And precisely that was his drive to always keep documenting, writing, and pressing to get the real picture out.

Sorry if I'm boring you here, my pleasure if it adds. I've heard before that reading fiction is for youth, and reading about the authors themselves is for old folks; I beg to differ ;-)

Gregg So... has the OP read it?

Kelsey This book is absolutely worth your time! A bit depressing and in all honesty frightening. However, I recommend this to almost anyone who expresses an interest in reading. I also recommend Anthem by Ayn Rand (another great dystopian novel).

Alyce Rocco When 1984 was 20 - 30 or more years in the future, it was a great book to read. Now that the year has been and gone, not so sure. I re-read it a few times; last time I found it difficult to read and boring.

Still, it may be worth you time to read it, to compare how much like the futuristic society has become reality and to become familiar with phrases such as "Big Brother is watching you" ~ think Homeland Security and U.S. government spying on its citizens, using "War on Terror" as reason to do so.

Chris easily one of my favorite books, definitely read it.

message 49: by Ala'a (new) - added it

Ala'a I guess. 1984 was one of the greatest books I've ever read. Books don't always need happy endings to be memorable

« previous 1

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

1984 (other topics)
The Handmaid's Tale (other topics)