Topeka & Shawnee Co. Public Library discussion

Hush Podcast Discussions > Best Books of 2011 with guest Stephanie Hall

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lissa (new)

Lissa (lissastaley) | 43 comments Mod
Our guest this episode is Stephanie Hall, Red Carpet Manager to chat about the best books of 2011 according to Goodreads, our library customers, and also our own reading tastes.

Listen here.

what were your best books of 2011? Have you read some of the 2011 best books we mention in the podcast?

message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 206 comments From the list I read:

The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins - I really enjoyed reading the trilogy but was disappointed in how it all ended. This series sucks the reader into District 9 and The Capitol.

Smokin’ Seventeen by Janet Evanovich - I enjoy this series. It is a light quick read. I just wish that Stephanie's bounty hunting skills would improve and that she would choose either Ranger or Morelli and try to make it work.

Bossypants by Tina Fey - Great insight to Tina Fey. This book makes me want to watch 30 Rock. She is smart and fun.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett - I read the book before I saw the movie and really enjoyed. I think I read it with a Southern dialect so it wasn't as quick of a read as I expected but hard to put down. The movie is as good as the book but the author and the director are childhood friends. If you enjoy this book then checkout The Sweet Potato Queens' Book of Love - I think these ladies could be Hildy and Elizabeth's daughters.

A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard - Jaycee is a survivor and an amazing woman. She tells her story how she remembers it, and is trying to satisfy the public curiosity about her while moving on with her life. She is an inspiration.

In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson - This is not my favorite book of his, but does explain why the USA did not jump into WWII. Larson tried to write from Ambassador Dodd's view, but his daughter Margaret kept trying to take over the story. Larson should have surrendered. While I didn't care for Margaret she kept life interesting while her father was very frugal.

message 3: by Jenee (new)

Jenee Rager (imsotired77) | 2 comments My favorite books that were published in 2011 were Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

and

When She Woke

both were outside of my normal style of books but kept me up late reading.

message 4: by Thad (new)

Thad | 31 comments Mod
I recently finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and really enjoyed it. The use of found photographs really added to the book. I assume there will be a sequel which I look forward to reading.

message 5: by Jenee (new)

Jenee Rager (imsotired77) | 2 comments There's definitely going to be a sequel. I found a discussion group that says it'll be out spring of 2013.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (other topics)
When She Woke (other topics)