SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Para-Themed TV Shows & Movies > Para-Fantasy-Themed Movies of 2012

Comments (showing 1-30 of 30) (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18177 comments Here are just a few of the para-themed movies scheduled to come out in 2012. I've included IMDB links, in case you'd like to learn more about them.

description
Chronicle | IMDB info
Release Date: 3 Feb
PG-13 Drama | Horror | Sci-Fi | Thriller

Three high school friends gain superpowers after making an incredible discovery. Soon, though, they find their lives spinning out of control and their bond tested as they embrace their darker sides.

Director: Josh Trank
Stars: Michael B. Jordan, Michael Kelly, Alex Russell, Dane DeHaan

description
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance | IMDB info
Release Date: 17 Feb
PG-13 95 min - Action | Fantasy | Thriller

As Johnny Blaze hides out in Eastern Europe, he is called upon to stop the devil, who is trying to take human form.

Directors: Mark Neveldine | Brian Taylor
Stars: Nicolas Cage, Ciarán Hinds, Idris Elba, Christopher Lambert

description
John Carter | IMDB info
Release Date: 9 Mar
PG-13 Action | Adventure | Fantasy | Sci-Fi

Transplanted to Mars, a Civil War vet discovers a lush planet inhabited by 12-foot tall barbarians. Finding himself a prisoner of these creatures, he escapes, only to encounter a princess who is in desperate need of a savior.

Director: Andrew Stanton
Stars: Taylor Kitsch, Lynn Collins, Willem Dafoe, Bryan Cranston

description
Mirror Mirror | IMDB info
Release Date: 16 Mar
Adventure | Comedy | Drama | Fantasy

An evil queen steals control of a kingdom and an exiled princess enlists the help of seven resourceful rebels to win back her birthright.

Director: Tarsem Singh
Stars: Lily Collins, Julia Roberts, Armie Hammer, Sean Bean

description
The Hunger Games | IMDB info
Release Date: 23 Mar
Action | Drama | Sci-Fi | Thriller

Set in a future where the Capitol selects a boy and girl from the twelve districts to fight to the death on live television, Katniss Everdeen volunteers to take her younger sister's place for the latest match.

Director: Gary Ross
Stars: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Elizabeth Banks

description
Wrath of the Titans | IMDB info
Release Date: 30 Mar
Action | Adventure | Fantasy

Perseus embarks on a treacherous quest into the underworld to rescue Zeus, who has been targeted for capture by his traitorous son, Ares, and his brother, Hades.

Director: Jonathan Liebesman
Stars: Sam Worthington, Liam Neeson, Rosamund Pike, Ralph Fiennes

[No poster available]
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World | IMDB info
Release Date: 20 Apr
R Comedy | Drama | Romance | Sci-Fi

As an asteroid nears Earth, a man finds himself alone after his wife leaves in a panic. He decides to take a road trip to reunite with his high school sweetheart. Accompanying him is a neighbor who inadvertently puts a wrench in his plan.

Director: Lorene Scafaria
Stars: Steve Carell, Keira Knightley, Melinda Dillon, Melanie Lynskey

description
Lock-Out | IMDB info
Release Date: 20 Apr
Thriller | Action | Sci-Fi

A man wrongly convicted of conspiracy to commit espionage against the U.S. is offered his freedom if he can rescue the president's daughter from an outer space prison taken over by violent inmates.

Directors: James Mather | Stephen St. Leger
Stars: Guy Pearce, Maggie Grace, Peter Stormare, Joseph Gilgun

description
The Avengers | IMDB info
Release Date: 4 May
Action | Adventure | Sci-Fi

Nick Fury and the international agency S.H.I.E.L.D. bring together a team of super humans to form The Avengers to help save the Earth from Loki & his various membered army.

Director: Joss Whedon
Stars: Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner

description
Dark Shadows | IMDB info
Release Date: 11 May
Drama | Horror | Mystery | Thriller

A gothic-horror tale centering on the life of vampire Barnabas Collins and his run-ins with various monsters, witches, werewolves and ghosts. Based on the cult TV series.

Director: Tim Burton
Stars: Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer, Eva Green, Helena Bonham Carter

description
Battleship | IMDB info
Release Date: 18 May
Action | Sci-Fi

A fleet of ships is forced to do battle with an armada of unknown origins in order to discover and thwart their destructive goals.

Director: Peter Berg
Stars: Alexander Skarsgård, Brooklyn Decker, Liam Neeson, Rihanna

description
Men In Black III | IMDB info
Release Date: 25 May
Action | Comedy | Sci-Fi

Agent J travels in time to MIB's early years in the 1960s, to stop an alien from assassinating his friend Agent K and changing history.

Director: Barry Sonnenfeld
Stars: Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, Alice Eve

message 2: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 5312 comments I'm impatiently waiting for The Hunger Games! Have to check out some of the others as well!

Julianne | 354 comments I am eagerly awaiting John Carter...mostly for Taylor Kitsch. :D

message 4: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18177 comments 2012 Para-Fantasy-Themed Movies of 2012
Continued

description
Snow White and the Huntsman | IMDB info
Release Date: 1 Jun
Action | Adventure | Drama | Fantasy

In a twist to the fairy tale, the Huntsman ordered to take Snow White into the woods to be killed winds up becoming her protector and mentor in a quest to vanquish the Evil Queen.

Director: Rupert Sanders
Stars: Kristen Stewart, Chris Hemsworth, Charlize Theron, Toby Jones

description
Prometheus | IMDB info
Release Date: 8 Jun

Action | Horror | Sci-Fi

A team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.

Director: Ridley Scott
Stars: Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, Patrick Wilson, Idris Elba

description
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter | IMDB info
Release Date: 22 Jun

Fantasy | Horror | Thriller

President Lincoln's mother is killed by a supernatural creature, which fuels his passion to crush vampires and their slave-owning helpers.

Director: Timur Bekmambetov
Stars: Benjamin Walker, Rufus Sewell, Dominic Cooper, Mary Elizabeth Winstead

description
Brave | IMDB info
Release Date: 22 Jun

Animation | Action | Adventure | Comedy | Family | Fantasy

Determined to make her own path in life, Princess Merida defies a custom that brings chaos to her kingdom. Granted one wish, Merida must rely on her bravery and her archery skills to undo a beastly curse.

Directors: Mark Andrews | Brenda Chapman
Stars: Kelly Macdonald, Billy Connolly, Emma Thompson, Julie Walters

description
Neighborhood Watch | IMDB info
Release Date: 27 Jul

Comedy | Sci-Fi

Suburban dads form a neighborhood watch group to get time away from their families, only to discover a plot to destroy Earth.

Director: Akiva Schaffer
Stars: Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, Jonah Hill, Billy Crudup

description
Total Recall | IMDB info
Release Date: 3 Aug

Action | Sci-Fi | Adventure | Thriller

As the nation states Euromerica and New Shanghai vie for supremacy, a factory worker (Farrell) begins to suspect that he's a spy, though he is unaware which side of the fight he's on.

Director: Len Wiseman
Stars: Colin Farrell, Bokeem Woodbine, Bryan Cranston, Kate Beckinsale

description
Warm Bodies | IMDB info
Release Date: 10 Aug

Based on Isaac Marion's book: Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

Drama | Horror | Romance

After a zombie becomes involved with the girlfriend of one of his victims, their romance sets in motion a sequence of events that might transform the entire lifeless world.

Director: Jonathan Levine
Stars: Nicholas Hoult, Teresa Palmer, John Malkovich, Analeigh Tipton

description
ParaNorman | IMDB info
Release Date: 17 Aug

Animation | Adventure | Comedy | Fantasy | Horror

A misunderstood boy who can speak with the dead, takes on ghosts, zombies and grown-ups to save his town from a centuries-old curse.

Directors: Chris Butler | Sam Fell
Stars: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Anna Kendrick, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Leslie Mann

description
The Odd Life of Timothy Green | IMDB info
Release Date: 17 Aug

PG Comedy | Drama | Fantasy

A childless couple bury a box in their backyard, containing all of their wishes for an infant. Soon, a child is born, though Timothy Green is not all that he appears.

Director: Peter Hedges
Stars: Jennifer Garner, Joel Edgerton, Cameron 'CJ' Adams, Common

description
The Apparition | IMDB info
Release Date: 24 Aug

PG-13 Horror | Thriller

A couple are haunted by a supernatural presence that is unleashed during a college experiment.

Director: Todd Lincoln
Stars: Ashley Greene, Sebastian Stan, Tom Felton, Julianna Guill

description
Sinister | IMDB info
Release Date: 24 Aug

Crime | Horror | Thriller

Found footage helps a true-crime novelist realize how and why a family was murdered in his new home, though his discoveries put his entire family in the path of a supernatural entity.

Director: Scott Derrickson
Stars: Ethan Hawke, Juliet Rylance, James Ransone, Vincent D'Onofrio

[No movie poster @ IMDB]
The Possession | IMDB info
Release Date: 31 Aug

R Horror | Thriller

A young girl buys an antique box at a yard sale, unaware that inside the collectible lives a malicious ancient spirit. The girl's father teams with his ex-wife to find a way to end the curse upon their child.

Director: Ole Bornedal
Stars: Natasha Calis, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Kyra Sedgwick, Madison Davenport

description
Resident Evil: Retribution | IMDB info
Release Date: 14 Sept

Action | Horror | Sci-Fi | Thriller

Alice fights alongside a resistance movement in the continuing battle against the Umbrella Corporation and the undead.

Director: Paul W.S. Anderson
Stars: Milla Jovovich, Sienna Guillory, Michelle Rodriguez, Kevin Durand

description
Hotel Transylvania | IMDB info
Release Date: 21 Sept

Animation | Comedy | Family

Dracula, who operates a high-end resort away from the human world, goes into overprotective mode when a boy discovers the resort and falls for the count's teen-aged daughter.

Director: Genndy Tartakovsky
Stars: Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Andy Samberg, Steve Buscemi

[No movie poster @ IMDB]
Dredd | IMDB info
Release Date: 21 Sept

Action | Sci-Fi

In a violent, futuristic city where the police have the authority to act as judge, jury and executioner, a cop teams with a trainee to take down a gang that deals the reality-altering drug, SLO-MO.

Director: Pete Travis
Stars: Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby, Lena Headey, Domhnall Gleeson

[No movie poster @ IMDB]
Looper | IMDB info
Release Date: 28 Sept

Action | Sci-Fi

A killer who works for the mob of the future recognizes one of his targets as his future self.

Director: Rian Johnson
Stars: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis, Emily Blunt, Paul Dano

description
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 (2012) | IMDB info
Release Date: 16 Nov

Adventure | Drama | Fantasy | Romance

After the birth of Renesmee, the Cullens gather other vampire clans in order to protect the child from a false allegation that puts the family in front of the Volturi.

Director: Bill Condon
Stars: Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner, Dakota Fanning

[No movie poster @ IMDB]
Gravity | IMDB info
Release Date: 21 Nov

Sci-Fi | Thriller

The lone survivor of a space mission to repair the Hubble telescope desperately tries to return to Earth and reunite with her daughter.

Director: Alfonso Cuarón
Stars: Sandra Bullock, George Clooney

description
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey | IMDB info
Release Date: 14 Dec

Adventure | Fantasy

Bilbo Baggins, a Hobbit, journeys to the Lonely Mountain accompanied by a group of dwarves to reclaim a treasure taken from them by the dragon Smaug.

Director: Peter Jackson
Stars: Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage, Andy Serkis

[No movie poster @ IMDB]
World War Z | IMDB info
Release Date: 21 Dec

Based on Max Brooks' book: World War Z  An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks

Action | Drama | Horror | Sci-Fi | Thriller

A UN representative, writing a report on the great zombie war, interviews survivors in the wake of World War Z.

Director: Marc Forster
Stars: Brad Pitt, Mireille Enos, David Morse, James Badge Dale

message 5: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18177 comments I apologize if any of my links are incorrect. That was a lot of cut & pastin'. :)

message 6: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18177 comments Judithe wrote: "I'm impatiently waiting for The Hunger Games! Have to check out some of the others as well!"

Me too!!

Josie | 1897 comments Me three!!
Also Battleship just because of Alexander Skarsgård ;)
I would've watched Snow White and the Huntsmen but since Kristen Stewart is the MC... well I'm just not anymore.

The Woman in Black is out this year as well, with Daniel Radcliffe as the lead. It's probably not going to be as good as in the theatre since it'll probably lack the atmosphere - a lot of people loved it, my sister included when she went to see it - but probably worth a look IMDb.
Oh and I'm also looking forward to the Wrath of the Titans cos I'm sad like that :P

Dana (Erato) | 922 comments Cool list! Thanks for this Steph. :)

(Quiet admission: I'm looking forward to Wrath of the Titans too Josie.)

I must admit too that Warm Bodies creeped me out entirely the fist time I saw it. I added it to my TBR a while back just b/c it seemed like such a wacko premise. I've actually shared the storyline with others as a 'can you believe this?' type of thing. This will either be awesome of the highest order or the B-est of B grade movies. I'm actually looking forward to it now...sick!

Julianne | 354 comments Josie wrote: "Me three!!
Also Battleship just because of Alexander Skarsgård ;)
"

I was going to say exactly that. I probably would have seen it anyway because I have boys but he just upped my interest significantly.

message 10: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18177 comments Definitely up for Battleship. And most definitely lookin' forward to more Alex. He's only in a tiny bit of the trailer, looks like he was hit in the face by a sonic boom or something. LOL! Still, I'm watching if he's acting!

Dana, I thought the exact same thing about Warm Bodies initially, but decided to read it and was pleasantly surprised. Thankfully, there's no zomb-human smexin'. Sorry for the spoiler, but I felt that needed to be said. That would have been too far fetched for me to stomach. I'm interested to see how the movie will be.

Hubby and I recently watched In Time and Immortals. Has anyone seen those? They were both decent. I liked In Time a bit better, maybe b/c of JT, but Immortals was kinda cool with all the chesty chesters (think '300') in it. ;)

Julianne | 354 comments I watched Immortals and enjoyed it...didn't love it though.

I just watched the trailer for Mirror Mirror, it looks really good. (watched the Snow white and the Huntsman one too but it was just meh). And Battleship looks really good. And yummy Taylor Kitsch is in that one too.

message 12: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18177 comments Same here, Julianne (enjoyed - didn't love)

message 13: by Josie (last edited Jan 25, 2012 03:52AM) (new)

Josie | 1897 comments Yeah I went to see The Immortals since it was directed by the same guy that directed 300 so I figured there would be lots of hot, sweaty, fighting, naked guys. Was not disappointed ;)
So on that basis I'd recommend but it wasn't the best mythological film I've ever seen but it was still ok like you said.
Warm bodies seems interesting although it sounds like it is not going to have a happy ending :/

message 14: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18177 comments Same (re: Immortals) >;)

WB, if it follows the book, will have an interesting ending. We'll see how they play it. Ya know how they can vary from their book counterparts.

Josie | 1897 comments Oh I'm all curious now! On the TBR it goes..

message 16: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 5312 comments It's spring break...I want to go see a movie, and checked out the listings at the ONLY movie theater in our town (used to be many...but signs of the times...) Nothing I want to see. The Hunger Games doesn't even have a Japan release date. I'm bummed. How soon til DVD????

message 17: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (last edited Mar 21, 2012 05:52PM) (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18177 comments Oh, I hope they show it here! I'm off to check our JP theater to see if they have it listed yet. No idea on the DVD. I'd say by Christmas, just b/c many come out during that time, but no idea.

ETA: They don't have it listed, at least not yet. I have to look at the picture b/c the entire page is in Japanese. They're showing: Time and one of the Star Wars movies. I'll have to keep an eye on it for HG!

message 18: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (last edited Mar 21, 2012 08:48PM) (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18177 comments SciFi Now's article (PDF) on Dark Shadows:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_Ji...
Has some pics of Johnny.

message 19: by Sandra, Winter is Coming ... (new)

Sandra | 12922 comments Wow, great list Steph, I didn't realize there were so many coming out this year.

message 20: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18177 comments Loads! :D

Just found this trailer for Stephenie Meyer's The Host (book-to-movie) due out 3/29/13: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpmk...

message 21: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (last edited Jun 08, 2012 08:58PM) (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18177 comments Has anyone seen "Mirror, Mirror" with Julia Roberts? We watched it last night. WTF was up with the Bollywood number at the end? That was the crap icing on a crap movie, IMO.

Lis | 2047 comments Judithe wrote: "It's spring break...I want to go see a movie, and checked out the listings at the ONLY movie theater in our town (used to be many...but signs of the times...) Nothing I want to see. The Hunger Ga..."

August 18th for Hunger Games DVD release date

message 23: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18177 comments YAY! I want to watch it again. Hubby and I were just talking about that yesterday. Thanks for the update, Lis.

Josie | 1897 comments I can't wait to watch HG again too!

I haven't watched it, Steph, although I find it weird that two Snow White films have come out roughly at the same time. I mean I really do dislike Kristen Stewart (and am worried she's going to ruin the film for me) but Snow White and the Huntsmen does look a much better film IMO.

message 25: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18177 comments Yeah, sometimes it's like that, yah? Two (or sometimes more) movies with the exact same storyline come out at the same time and one is okay/good while the other blows. LOL! Kinda like those two mall cop movies. That's the last ones I can remember.

Anyhoo, I agree. And, after watching Mirror, Mirror, I'm almost certain that, even with Miss-I-suck-at-acting-but-always-get-work, Snow White & the Huntsman will be 10x better. I really only watched M,M b/c of Julia. Love her.

Josie | 1897 comments I know! She's just so awkward, it's so uncomfortable to watch. Thank goodness for Chris Hemsworth ;)

message 27: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18177 comments LOL! Uncomfortable to watch nails it exactly.

message 28: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18177 comments TOR's article "We’re Glad The Avengers Didn’t Start This Way" includes a deleted opening scene on the DVD: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/08/were...

message 29: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (last edited Aug 30, 2012 04:06PM) (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18177 comments DREDD trailer: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/08/new-...=
Read somewhere that he never removes the helmet. Ok. That's one way to play it.

message 30: by Steph, Shhhh! I'm Reading! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 18177 comments Star Wars fans, Seth Green has a new animated cartoon show. The clip is a hoot: http://youtu.be/-yRNXFhboBI You can read TOR's article on it: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/08/how-...=

Love the JarJar line and follow-up. Definitely the WORST character ever to enter the Wars world.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Warm Bodies (other topics)
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War (other topics)