Kiss the Dead (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #21) Kiss the Dead discussion

Time to end this series?.

Comments (showing 1-50 of 110) (110 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Hitandmiss (last edited Jan 23, 2012 09:15AM) (new) - added it

Hitandmiss I started out loving this series But I honestly feel that we have jumped the shark, Shes beaten the nightmare of Vamps and is pretty much Queen of all Supes. There is no threat. Yet we are still getting books, So.....

How bad would this book have to be to get you to stop reading the series?
What would Anita have todo to finaly break her characters ideology?
Where could this series possibly go?

Marissa It is not time to end the book she still has to do so much and figure out what to do about the Ardeur, all her men, and her life in general.

message 3: by Hitandmiss (last edited Jan 23, 2012 10:49AM) (new) - added it

Hitandmiss Marissa wrote: "It is not time to end the book she still has to do so much and figure out what to do about the Ardeur, all her men, and her life in general."

Ardeur - she feeds it with her man army, what else needs to happen? that it goes away?
Her men - shes not going to choose, they are quite happy as they are.
Life in general - she has a job and theres no real threats cept for a serial killer were. hardly a threat after killing mother of all darkness.

So I ask you, How bad would this book have to be for you to not read anymore after this?

Gille you can't end it..you got the other council members and i'm going to assume the mother is coming back in anita's head or in some form to mess with her

message 5: by debra (new)

debra nooo - actually "you can't end it" because the author is a delusions-of-grandeur psycho queen who, having lost any TINY ability she ever had to write, now just preaches and pisses and moans and tells us in boringly graphic detail about all of her own sexual fetishes.

Sadly ( because I am still fond of JC, Nathaniel, Jason & especially Edward) these books are now embarrassingly bad in all ways. It's like the laughingly called "author's" complete lack of talent, of a sense of humour, of a functioning intelligence that isn't overrun by her crazy egocentric fantasy world - in which she is the first and the best fantasy writer -- EVER.- Anyway, it's like she is contagious. There are some glaring mistakes in all her books, basic names gotten wrong, stuff my kids would have avoided when they were writing their kindergarten stories.

The proof reader/editor/whoever else -- get out now !!!! You may still have a chance to regain some functioning intelligence ......

message 6: by Hitandmiss (last edited Feb 03, 2012 04:19AM) (new) - added it

Hitandmiss I heard she doesn’t have a proof reader and has 100% control over the books.

I just don’t understand the fans Who keep praising the work and giving it 5 stars when its clearly subpar, Go re read one of the first books, Remember who Anita use to be! Remember her personality, her hate for the monsters before they all turned into hunks with huge packages!

Remember when there was risk and danger; before she could one touch kill anything! Including the most dangerous threat that ever lived.

Remember when Edward was Cool and dangerous, before he was whiney family problems guy who does nothing for the story but run commentary on a case.

Remember when Anita use to raise the dead.........

I just don’t understand how fans could enjoy such a poor book and forgive it with "well at least she’s toned down the sex scenes a little so I'll give her 4 stars for effort!"

Ravyn I'm sorry you guys don't seem to like the series anymore. But if you don't like it, then why don't you just give it up? Anita Blake isn't your creation, it's the author's creation, and ultimately it is up to her how she wants to shape her story. Why people feel the need to diss the author personally is totally beyond me. As if she did you wrong somehow by writing her stories the way that she imagines.

There are plenty of people who still like Anita Blake and are fine with the direction the series has taken (me being one of them). Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and god knows, not everyone is going to like this series. And that's fine. But why people who seem to "hate" it so much keep coming back, book after book after book after book...just to write more hateful comments. Seriously? Get a life.

message 8: by Hitandmiss (new) - added it

Hitandmiss @Ravyn You seem to be taking this very personally, and thus are missing the point of the thread, This isn’t a hate fest, this is something I am curious about, I want to know how bad a series would have to go before people stopped liking it. I'm curious because I've been reading several series like this that start off great then get toned down and histories get forgotten/rewritten.

I feel like, if we were reading LOTR, we are at the point where the ring has been destroyed and everyone is safe, we expect to be reading about "everyone’s happily ever after" next, Except here we are now reading about how Frodo had to walk all the way back and there’s nothing really challenging or dangerous ahead, but here’s another 3/4 books about the return journey, cause that’s what came next.

So Ravyn, try to answer my question honestly, How bad would this book have to be for you to say "Ya know what, this needs to end now" where could this go now that Anita is a demi god?

message 9: by Ravyn (last edited Mar 04, 2012 10:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ravyn Hitandmiss wrote: "This isn’t a hate fest..."

Tell that to debra (message #5).

I don't take it personally when people dislike books that I have enjoyed. Different people have different tastes. That's the way life goes.

But it does bother me when readers criticize and berate authors personally for no real reason other than to be mean or sound cool or whatever it is that motivates them. It's vicious and hateful and totally uncalled for. It offends me as a human being that there are other human beings out there sitting in the comfort of their own homes, behind the anonymity of screen names, who get a kick out of saying the nastiest things they can think of about other people. It's online bullying, and it makes me sick.

It also tends to bother me when I see people going out of their way to spread their nastiness around. Just the other day, I noticed one user who had rated every single book by this one certain "popular" author at one star, plus wrote snarky little comments about how much the author sucked in every single "review." And it was all done in the same day! Somehow I doubt that person actually read all 10+ books from the same author if they despised her so much.

And then today I am looking at the page for the new Anita Blake book - which isn't even out yet for another 3 months - and ALREADY there are several "reviews" up about how much Anita sucks. If someone hates a series so much, why not just stop reading it? Why go out of your way to look up the new books and write nasty things about them? It drives me nuts when I see crap like that on Goodreads.

So yeah, I guess I did get a little riled up when I saw all that, then saw debra's vile comments in this thread. I'll never understand why or how people can be so mean.

[But just to be clear, my whole rant here wasn't in any way directed at Hitandmiss who started the thread. It's really just that one comment that I find offensive.]

Ravyn Hitandmiss wrote: "I feel like, if we were reading LOTR, we are at the point where the ring has been destroyed and everyone is safe, we expect to be reading about "everyone’s happily ever after" next, Except here we are now reading about how Frodo had to walk all the way back and there’s nothing really challenging or dangerous ahead, but here’s another 3/4 books about the return journey, cause that’s what came next.

So Ravyn, try to answer my question honestly, How bad would this book have to be for you to say "Ya know what, this needs to end now" where could this go now that Anita is a demi god? "

Now to actually answer your question...

Well, I'm not sure that I can actually answer it because I don't really agree with the premise that Anita's story is finished. I think she has a lot of things left to work out (reconnecting with her family, figuring out her role with the police and/or marshall service, learning how to actually control her powers, wrangling her harem, etc). I enjoy her adventures, and don't find them boring at all. I like that she is a super practically unkillable bad-ass, and I like that she is not the same person that she used to be, all whining about not being white enough, or hating all the monsters and fighting with herself constantly. She's grown and changed, just as other characters (like Edward) have grown and changed. I'm glad that Anita isn't just the same as she used to be when the series started. And I'm just fine knowing that Anita and her band of men are going to win in the end, because you know what, I like romances where I know the characters are going to triumph in the end. So anyway, for me at least, I don't think I'll ever get tired this series.

message 11: by Hitandmiss (new) - added it

Hitandmiss @Ravyn It seems you agree with me in a roundabout way, All the issues you raise are minor, they are issues that could be wrapped up in a novella where not much really happens just explains how things ended up, There’s not going to be a real plot line or interesting problems faced. The real issue here is, how is the next problem going to be a real threat, I mean "recently turned vamps"? She has sooo many powers the only way she could be put in danger is via some contrived plot line. (Kinda like the last book) This story line should of been done like 10-15 books ago, Then she could of seen a different view of vamps, and maybe developed her world view.

We all know the hero is going to win; the real skill of the book is making me believe that there is something on the line. When I read The Dresden Files, I know Harry Dresden will win, but reading about him solving problems he created and learning that his actions have unintended consequences is brilliant.

Anita has none of this, it’s just her Insta-winning now, and she has sooo many powers/friends the only real threat I can think of is that the whole human race declares war on all things non-human. Which would never happen.

Stephanie Hitandmiss wrote: "I started out loving this series But I honestly feel that we have jumped the shark, Shes beaten the nightmare of Vamps and is pretty much Queen of all Supes. There is no threat. Yet we are still ge..."

I'll read this when it comes out, if only to remember why I stopped *loving* the series. I'm not "eagerly anticipating" it, more like dreading that I won't like it. I keep holding out hope for a little return to what Anita really used to be about, and I do miss some of the guys....

How bad would this book have to be to get you to stop reading the series?
- If she adds one more person, man or woman, to her harem, I'm done. If she has sex with Edward, I'm done. If in this next book we don't spend more time with JC, Nathaniel, Asher, Edward, and/or Richard, I'm done.

What would Anita have to do to finaly break her characters ideology?
- Actually, I think she needs a time-out! She needs to do some serious thinking about priorities and how she can balance everything. Wouldn't make for good story telling, but she never seems to stop long enough to figure anything out. Maybe the loss of one of the guys will put things in perspective for her? Or some of her guys that she shares start having children? I think it would take something drastic for her to get to that next level- she is already "all-powerful" so there's no more character development left there... oh! maybe she could start losing powers? @Hitandmiss- I also remember those good ol' days of adventure and mystery and necromancy...

Where could this series possibly go?
- Nowhere. It's going downhill, maybe LKH is burned out and I wouldn't blame here! I really hope there's no nice, neat HEA though- that would be really out of character. Maybe a few more resolutions, but no white picket fence type of thing.

I just want a good story- a good supernatural problem to resolve. It doesn't have to be using all her powers, she doesn't always have to use them all, right? She needs to find herself again, that's all. I "cut my teeth" in urban fantasy/paranormal on this series, so it all just makes me a little sad.

message 13: by Suz (last edited May 01, 2012 05:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suz To answer the question in the subject line - No.

But you're welcome to forget about it if you like. In fact if I never again hear another person who is more comfortable with violence than with sex say they miss the frigid, emotionally unavailable, "bad ass," sociopath Anita of the early books I will be able to follow the series to whatever end LKH would like to give it more contentedly.

I realize that some folks just don't handle disappointment well. It's a lesson usually learned in adolescence but when growth is stunted in that stage then often people move into later stages of life with an inability to process change they are uncomfortable with. In the case of the Anita Blake series this particular phenomenon has given rise to the Love to Hate It demographic.

I have no problem with the Love to Hate It demographic, I just wish they'd at least grow up and own THAT much instead of continuing to mentally masturbate themselves and everyone else about the writing, the content, the morality, and every other excuse they can find to avoid the reality that they don't deal with change well and they are more comfortable with sociopathic violence than promiscuous sex.

It's boring, already.

message 14: by Hitandmiss (new) - added it

Hitandmiss @Suz

You seem to be adding subtext that doesn't exist here, I've no problem with sex/violence or any subject really, recently I read the Void city series, and loved it! (Its way worse than this series for sex and violence) I didn't love it because of the sex and violence though, I love it for how well the story and chars are written!

So for the purpose of debate I started this thread, as I honestly can't see where this series could go without rewriting itself. Anita has beaten all threats, She’s pretty much queen of everything now.

What’s left for her to accomplish?

Is there nothing the author could do that would put you off this series?

We all know the series will end one day, the question is how? Will it end at a high note or a low one? I can't see how the book could improve from here without opening itself up to plot holes and inconsistencies.

message 15: by Suz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suz You may be right, I may have added subtext. I'm kind of sick of attempting to have conversations with folks who are really just looking for love to hate it fodder.

I'd like to see the St. Louis supes create a new American Council and I'd like to see it be a multi racial council, not just a vampire council. That alone could create many books worth of drama and tension.

Anita hasn't beaten all of the Council, nor have they consolidated the powers in North America. There are tons of factions and potential in fighting on that front. The humans are still straddling the borderline on the acceptance front and that could blow at any time. Dolph is a prime example of human bigotry out of control.

What about Olaf? Is there any character with more squick than Olaf? And now he's a were lion and we don't know how that's going to resolve.

Why would I want to ponder what she'd have to do for me to walk away when there are still so many things I want to see? I don't feel finished.

message 16: by Hitandmiss (last edited May 05, 2012 10:52AM) (new) - added it

Hitandmiss @Suz

Here’s my problem with nearly all of those story lines,

She’s beaten the mother of all darkness,

Anita has enough powers and friends to be a Queen. She has all the powers and abilities to be "Father of tigers/days" and She has the power to be "Mother of darkness"

She could command the loyalty of nearly all supes as it is.

Olaf..... He’s a normal were tiger, almost nothing compared to Anita and her crew. LKH really blew this story line by not having it several novels ago, (Even then she’s beaten that Chimera dude. He was way stronger and scarier. I don't see how she could write a novel that would surprise a reader or a scene where we believe that Anita is in danger. She’s way out of his league now.
I really can't see a way you can successfully end this series now where all the plot lines and build ups integrate and flawlessly play off. All I see are huge plot holes and ruined threads, and the more LKH writes the worse it seems to get.

Here are a few Plot lines I thought would have come up and just got left behind;

Anita summoned the dead without protection and saw something creep into the zombie. This was never touched again.

Anita was contacted about possibly using zombies as world leaders. She should have gone up against another Necromancer who was “puppeting” a company/country/organisation.

Anita’s Chimera virus never really came to anything. She should have cured herself, we got way too many “I’m nearly changing, Help me control my beast!” scenes.

message 17: by Katharina (last edited May 05, 2012 10:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katharina SUZ and Hitandmiss, I´m with both of you. I mean I would like to read/know more about all the Plot lines you have mentioned.
But I like it when there is not just action but backround story. When a book not only concentrates on the the main charakter and the one story line, but also the people which happend to play a role in previous books.
I like to learn about the way the characters lives intersect and impact one another and books which focuses on those relationships.
So i´ve no problem with a dead Mother.. and Anita beeing the new biggest baddes what ever. Because there are so many smaller lines I would like to read. Whats with Olaf for example, importend is not that Anita is stronger them him but what will happend till she can find him, what she will do when she finds him and what happens after.

But back to your original question, what has to happen so that I would stop reading this (or an other) series. I would have to not recognize the people again. Like in a not explained change of charackter / way to write (not growing or deadening but suddenly beeing different). repeated decisions I can´t comprehend. Or just plain not liking in which direction the story is emerging (like Sookie S. beeing such a egocentric dumb-ass)
So LKH would have to not explain what happens to the council (european and american), forget longterm problems of previous books and write one sexscene after the next without further purpose as solution to everything. But dont get me wrong; cerulean sins,skin trade and the books inbetween are my favorites.

Sorry for possible errors but english is not my first language ;-)

message 18: by Krissykat (new)

Krissykat @Raven

I think a lot of the "jealous whiner babies" (to quote Hamilton) "diss" Hamilton because she makes such an obvious point of "dissing" anyone who offers her the slightest criticism or even asks questions about her choices.

I think most of us "haters" (again, quoting Hamilton) continue to follow this saga because she's providing us with a quite fascinating case study in how to alienate her earliest and long-time fans. Did you know that, according to Publishers Weekly, her sales have dropped by half since "Danse Macabre", her sales peak? That was the last book of hers I bought - obviously a lot of fans jumped ship at the same time I did!

Certainly, as you say Raven, there are still enough people who enjoy the series, or Hamilton wouldn't continue to be published. There wouldn't be any profit in it. And I understand your frustration with "us" - nobody enjoys having others rain on their parade. But please do us the courtesy of recognizing that our issues with the series are a little deeper than sex vs. violence.

Katharina @ Krissykat
I think criticism and asking questions about the authors choices is the privilege of every reader.
But I dont understand readers like you, who have stoped liking a series some books (and years ago) but are still reading and buying those books only to criticise.
I mean everybody can do what they want. I just dont understand it and the need of those to put others off these books.
If I definitively dont like a book /series I stop reading, buying and thinking about them

message 20: by Hitandmiss (new) - added it

Hitandmiss @Katharina I criticise because most authors write where the money is,

A vampire/fantasy/bdsm book does well… 101 authors write clone books on the topic.

When I see people still loving this series, I have to ask where they draw the line, I don’t come here to tell them "Hey this book is bad, your stupid for liking it" I ask them what would the author have to do to finally sink this series? Is there anything that would turn you off this series?

If you answer no, you will read anything she writes, well….
Then you’re not giving a serious answer or really thinking about what you are reading. If you were a honest fan, then you should be wanting more and more people to enjoy an authors work, and for them to get better you need to iron out the faults in a book/series.

Päivi I think that this was the last Anita Blake book that I bough and maybe this was the last book that I read about Anita Blake.

I miss the old Anita. Before all her men. When she was raising the dead and there really was a plot..
Less sex scenes was good but this book was like description of awarege day of Anita. Jump in time was too huge and thing were missing and nothing was explained. It was disappointment. Unfortunately.

Katharina @Hitandmiss
see above message 17
No, I won´t read everythink she writes. But when I stop reading i stop to bother with the series. (like with Harris Sookie, where I couldn´t understand why Sookie did the things she did)
The difference between us is, that I like the books after "obsidian butterfly" more then the early onces. So my problems are neccesary not equal to yours. And faults for you are not faults for me...

For example my review:
"It was a really great read. But I would had liked a better use of the arc of suspense. I mean more infos of what happend in the year between hit list and kiss the dead. Or not just end of the crisies = end of the book but a slower finishing.
because there is more to an amazing book (or sex); not just the crisis (or intercourse) but a bit foreplay and some cuddling afterward ;-) "

I am a fan of backround infos, thats why I don´t like crime-/ thriller or her early work. So I will stop to read Anita whenn there will only be Crimes / whose solution is all that happens and no privat life and politik in a book again

message 23: by Hitandmiss (new) - added it

Hitandmiss @Katharina

Just to be straight here, you thought the earlier books had no background information? That there was no political dynamics or personal life for Anita?

I have no problem with Anita having a harem; I have no objection to a book based purely on Anita battling political adversaries,

I just want it to make sense and be well written.
(I'll point you to Holy Terror's Review of Hit List A great example of how bad LHK writing is, or John Green's Review of Kiss the Dead)

The sad part here is people want to like her books, People (Like me) who loved the series and can't understand why she’s doing everything in her powers to ruin and sink this series, and when I read LKH denouncing her critics without even attempting to understand their criticism, I have to ask myself and others why?

***Tin Foil Hat on***
The only theory I have is that Anita Blake was Ghost written by some author who passed away, and rather than let the series die, LKH is writing them out of a missed place sense of loyalty to her fans, *I prefer to think the best of her rather then that she’s just doing it for the money*

message 24: by Katharina (last edited Jun 07, 2012 06:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katharina Okay, maybe you are right. Still I find re-reading the books 1-8 boring but love to do it with 9-19. So there has to be sth different in regard of my love for backroundstorys and privatlive.
And in relation to "well written"; english is my second language, to well written and i don´t understand it ;-)

message 25: by Blondietex (last edited Jun 09, 2012 07:21AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Blondietex First off, I'm not jumping on the "I absolutely hate but keep reading and commenting on LKH" bandwagon. I've never posted any comments about her work since I belonged to an LKH fan board about 13+ years ago (with Jim Butcher just before he was published. :) ).

I'm writing now because I've finally reached the end. While the whole "hisum" direction did seem to take the focus away from what brought me to the series (namely alternative universe, paranormal, mystery), I kept reading. The sex and violence didn't turn me away. I liked some of it. I also kept thinking the sex focus was LKH having Anita work through the ardeur and get a handle on it.

However, I've noticed the real decline in writing in the past few books. This one was the topper. It used to be that LKH was one of those authors I eagerly awaited the release date and then stayed up all night to finish the book. This one I struggled to finish.

The plot (what little there was) was secondary. Ridiculous amounts of time were spent on description -- which I know is LKH's style like Anne Rice but this time the overall plot didn't overcome the time spent on descriptions here. She repeats certain things, word-for-word, several times (like how/why Katie invited her, Micah & Nathaniel to a BBQ as just one example). The absence, without explanation, of key characters (Jason, Richard), the change in character's attitudes out of the blue happening "off-set" (Dolph, Larry), the final "crisis point" being resolved with little to no effort --these are just some of the issues that have brought me to finally giving up.

I think I've realized I've become like the readers of Danielle Steele and Mary Higgins Clark, paying for hardbacks of books merely because you fell in love with the author's work a while back and refused to accept she's just phoning it in (or has the power to avoid editing).

There's some awesome writing out there (paranormal, erotica, romance, fantasy...or a combination thereof). Those of you that still passionately defend LKH's current work either must not be reading it and so have no comparison to judge. You can't compare her current work to Jim Butcher, Illona Andrews, Chole Neill, C.J. Adams & Cathy Clamp, Marjorie Liu or Nalini Singh.

LKH was on my list for quite a while, but I think, at most, I can wait on the library hold list and not shell out money for her any more. But you won't find me lurking on chat boards just to say how much I hate her work. That would imply she still inspires passion in me. It's always sad to have something that once excited you as a reader finally drive you away.

I'm done.

Megumi I have a couple of things that would have to happen for me to stop reading this series.

1st one being Hamilton would have to completely change her style of writing. The way she describes a scene, the sarcastic thoughts running through Anita's mind, the way she gets everyone to fall in love with the main men all over again. In the end, I fell for the characters because of Hamilton's help.

2nd, everyone gets killed, or my favorite characters end up dying. It's one of the reasons I never finished Harry Potter (she killed one of the twins, but thats not the only reason).

I'm still thinking on the 3rd reason, but let me say this; I'm crazy loyal to a lot of things, the band I like, the movies I enjoy, the books I read. It boils down to the fact that I still enjoy reading about Anita and the guys, I may not like some of their choices but I'm not the one writing it.

message 27: by Missyb (last edited Jun 10, 2012 04:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Missyb I'd like for whatever is going to happen with the tigers to happen. I like that the books have returned to Anita's US Marshall work, but get a move on with the tigers.

I'll read the series until it ends, unless it gets so bad and confusing (I stopped reading Mary Janice Davidson's Undead Queen Betsy series because of Undead & Unfinished) that it's not worth reading. I do try to get it as a library book to read then buy it later as paperback or e-book when the price is better.

Ashley LKH should end it after Anita obliterates Olaf. I'm getting bored with the Anita books. I love her to death, but you can only write so many books about the same characters fighting the same bad guys and having the same sex.

message 29: by Jjab (new) - rated it 1 star

Jjab The stories are getting worn thin. There's getting to be too much whiny angst in the internal monologues. Anita needs to get into therapy and group counseling w/ all her beaus to get their issues worked out. How long has it been since she was dumped? My God, get over it!

message 30: by Dani (new)

Dani Ugh. I just finished reading Kiss the Dead and I'm so disappointed I don't know what to say. Before anyone jumps my bones- be aware that I've read EVERY single on of LKH's books. The Merry series and the Blake series, the Blake being my favorite and the Merry just filler until the next Anita novel.

I love this series so much I read 1-6 in the library, then went out and bought 1-21. Ever since I finished KTD i've been reading LKH's reviews online...it's good to know I'm not alone. The series has just gotten so bad,
As someone who aspires to be in the publishing/writing field, it's UNACCEPTABLE that she's allowed herself to become so pigheadedly big that she won't let her editor actually edit. No one is perfect, every writer needs to be checked, double checked, and triple checked before the book goes to press. Failure to do so is why fans, or should i say former fans can go through a book and find pages and pages of mistakes.

My God...how could LKH have ruined such a good series? I was all down for the male harlem thing. I'm pretty liberal and progressive. But that's when the Harlem included only ppl she loved/befriended.
When she started boinking random strangers and having 12 people/ 12 chapter long orgies I began to question the series. I love the old Anita who had morals and standards.

Have you ever heard the phrase "a hit dog will holler?" I think the reason why Anita as a character spends so much time defending herself for not being a whore/monster/immoral is because she as a character has become those things.
It's just not believable anymore (i know it's fantasy, so I mean it's not even in the realm of basic scientific possibility)
YOU CAN NOT LOVE THE 20 MEN YOU'RE SCREWING. ITS UNFATHOMABLE.

Maybe I could get over this issue if LKH cuts back on the gang of sex slaves, finds a way to beat the Ardur (sp) and gets a damn story line. Gets back to the old-school OButterfly Anita

Michele Crimson Kiss the Dead was the Kiss of Death for me with this series.

I don't know what LKH's vision for Anita's future is but I know that after the last two books I have no desire to be there for it. I have read all her books twice and have always been a huge fan but these last two books, for me, felt rushed and just thrown together to make a dollar and I got no enjoyment out of them.

When she turned the Mother of Darkness into a one chapter rushed ending after 10+ book build up it became obvious to me that the end was near, this book was the end for me.

♥♥Deborah♥♥ Is A Brian Kinney Groupie This is the only book in this series that I wasn't able to finish. I think its time this is over.

message 33: by Inti (new) - rated it 2 stars

Inti Krissykat wrote: "@Raven

I think a lot of the "jealous whiner babies" (to quote Hamilton) "diss" Hamilton because she makes such an obvious point of "dissing" anyone who offers her the slightest criticism or even a..."

I agree with everything you wrote. LKH has fallen off the deep end in more ways than one. This link really highlights the disconnect between her and her audience. http://karenknowsbest.com/2011/04/22/...

There was another pic with LKH and her assistant/hubby/and assistant's hubby standing around with leather and guns in the air I wanted to show, but I can't find it anywhere now. I think she really believes she is Anita to some extent. Like her badassery applies to her in some way. Perhaps it began when she started wearing a thigh holster and leather to the computer.

=^☺^=mskitty This was the end for me too. I have been a fan since the very beginning. I live in St Louis and loved reading about all the supernatural things happening in my own back yard. I read the first dozen so many times I had to replace the books.
The last few have just been so dissappointing, and this last one seemed LKH just cut and pasted things from previous novels...hell I could write her sex scenes they are all the same...just a different guy.
So I'm done.

Missyb maybe with Asher leaving a battle will be happening between his "new" city and Jean Claude's city. Could be made into the end of the series. I'm just sick of waiting for what's going to happen with the tigers.

message 36: by Tangled (last edited Jun 23, 2012 06:12PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tangled  Speculation I think everyone agrees there was a major change in the series around book 9. Some authors use different pen names for writing in different genres. The idea is that by branding the book with different names the readers will know what to expect. For example, Seanan McGuire openly uses Mira Grant when writing scifi so that readers know whether to expect fae (Seanan) or zombies (Mira) and then they know all that goes with the changes in how she writes the two types of stories. One problem seems to be that Anita Blake went from Urban Fantasy to Paranormal Romance in the middle of a series.

Change is hard. I liked the old way better, but I read on. I think there is a point where we wonder what next, even in terms of focusing on Anita's polyamourus relationships with some politics and action on the side. I do still wonder about Olaf and the tigers. I don't care so much about the SWAT team. I miss Edward.

I don't mind Anita's personal life in a moral sense, but in terms of story it seems played out. I see Asher as the new jealous Richard issues and Baby Tiger as the new squickier young Nathaniel issue rehashed. We saw Anita work through this already. Also, I just stopped caring about new characters--there is too many for me to love, even if Anita doesn't have that problem. I'd like for her to to adjust already on the home front and raise some zombies to solve new mysteries until we get the old plot threads tucked away.

I'll keep reading, but she should wind it up.

Paris        (kerbytejas) If the last book is a sign of how the books will be written - its time to end it now.. my review says it all

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Aussie bookworm Ravyn wrote: "Hitandmiss wrote: "This isn’t a hate fest..."

Tell that to debra (message #5).

I don't take it personally when people dislike books that I have enjoyed. Different people have different tastes. Th..."

well said i agree

message 39: by Pete (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pete W I think most of the complaining reader, including myself, were tired of Anita's moaning and bitching about the same issues for the last 12 books or so. Which is to say that Ms. Hamilton kept harping on the same Anita's personal issues that she either did not know how to move it along or couldn't come up with Anita who had settled down and more focused on enjoying it all or enjoying the works. Anita had became stagnant as a character. The kind that annoyed you like that real life friend who complains about everything but never do anything to fix it.

I also think that this latest one should have been edited, heavily, as many others had mentioned already.

message 41: by Dale (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dale Modisette In the audio book ver. the book are clearer

message 42: by Hitandmiss (new) - added it

Hitandmiss Dale wrote: "In the audio book ver. the book are clearer"

Could you expand on this?

Whats clearer exactly?

Did the reader change?

"It just giggled me, and I was starting to own the things that made me happy, not because it made sense, or was horribly important, but it was just a happy."

Paris        (kerbytejas) Hitandmiss wrote: "Dale wrote: "In the audio book ver. the book are clearer"

Could you expand on this?

Whats clearer exactly?

Did the reader change?

"It just giggled me, and I was starting to own the things that ..."

say what...LOL

Cherry This series should have ended a long time ago. Sadly I think Laurelle K. Hamilton got lost along the way and forgot what her story was even about. I was such a huge fan but every book she writes just makes me sad. Her writing has plummeted, and there are so many mistakes including names of main characters that I just cant stand by the Anita Blake Series anymore.
I feel like an idiot for continuing to hope that "this next book" will get things back on track and that "this next book" will reign it all in but the sad reality is that Hamilton has lost the creative spark and this story is long dead.

Paris        (kerbytejas) Cherry wrote: "This series should have ended a long time ago. Sadly I think Laurelle K. Hamilton got lost along the way and forgot what her story was even about. I was such a huge fan but every book she writes ju..."

wow - you gave it one more star then i did - yes i still have that hope but totally agree with you...time to say Anita Blake has left the building

Andrea @dale

I have listened to the audio books for the last two books. a)The reader is bad b)The books are still stagnant and go nowhere.
So, the Audio Book makes no difference.

This series used to be my favorite. I loved and identified Anita. What we are all angry about is that LKH took a character made her amazing, made us all fall in love, then just completely changed the character and the story surrounding it in one book,without notice. We all were left holding our books saying "Wait... What?".

The reason we keep reading is for our love of Anita and the world she lives in. And the small hope that MAYBE THIS book will be a return to the crime fighting badass Anita who has Edward as a back up.

As a long time reader, I do have to say this is the end for me. I vote with my wallet as most Americans do. So I'm voting NO. No more.

Paris        (kerbytejas) Andrea wrote: "@dale

I have listened to the audio books for the last two books. a)The reader is bad b)The books are still stagnant and go nowhere.
So, the Audio Book makes no difference.

This series used to b..."

i am very close to agreeing 100%..i know i did not like this last book, just need to find what will make me stop expecing them to improve

message 48: by Hitandmiss (new) - added it

Hitandmiss "LKH lost her way"

I keep hearing people saying this, What I can't understand is why she doesn’t see the plummeting sales numbers and reviews and realise that the changes she has made tanked the series.

I realise that people can have a passion for something and totally believe they can pull off something people say is impossible, Yet after 10+ try’s, Why does she keep doing this?

When I read the “haters” post, I really couldn’t wrap my mind round the level of disconnect you need to have to argue that your fans enjoy hating you. Rather than coming to the simple conclusion that you’re hated because you’re doing something wrong.

This is what really puzzles me about LKH, Why does she keep shooting herself in the foot.

I am really starting to believe that the first half of Anita Blake was ghost written and LKH was roped in when the author died.

Paris        (kerbytejas) "I am really starting to believe that the first half of Anita Blake was ghost written and LKH was roped in when the author died."

LMAO

message 50: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa I'm pretty sure it all went downhill after Obsidian Butterfly.

« previous 1 3

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Kiss the Dead (other topics)