Stephen King Fans discussion

Stephen King
This topic is about Stephen King
Dark Tower Series > Order of Series

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 631 comments Can someone tell me the order of the series? I have checked a few websites because I am trying to get all of the books. I already have one through four, and they are numbered. But, what is the order of the rest of the books in the series? A few websites I have looked at have them in different order. I just want to make sure I get all of them and read them in the correct order. Thank you!

message 2: by Becky, Ka-Tet (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 2671 comments It should be:
The Gunslinger
The Drawing of the Three
The Waste Lands
Wizard & Glass
(The Wind Through the Keyhole) - Not yet published
Wolves of the Calla
Song of Susannah
The Dark Tower

message 3: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 631 comments Becky wrote: "It should be:
The Gunslinger
The Drawing of the Three
The Waste Lands
Wizard & Glass
(The Wind Through the Keyhole) - Not yet published
Wolves of the Calla
Song of Susannah
The Dark Tower"

Thank you so much Becky!!! I really appreciate it!

message 4: by Becky, Ka-Tet (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 2671 comments You're welcome. :)

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 631 comments Do you know why he would publish/write The Wind Through the Keyhole after the others when its the fifth book?? Just curious?

message 6: by Becky, Ka-Tet (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 2671 comments The series was complete without it... and then it just called to him again and he knew he had to tell the story.

I am thrilled. I love the series and can't wait to read the new book. :D

message 7: by Kathryn (last edited Jan 22, 2012 08:15PM) (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 631 comments Becky wrote: "The series was complete without it... and then it just called to him again and he knew he had to tell the story.

I am thrilled. I love the series and can't wait to read the new book. :D"

I am reading 11/22/63 right now, and it will be my 6th book of his to read. I can't wait to start reading the Gunslinger series! I have heard so many great things about it.

message 8: by Becky, Ka-Tet (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 2671 comments 11/22/63 is really great. I hope you're enjoying it. There are a few references to the Dark Tower series in that one... A lot of his books have links to the DT series. You'll start seeing them everywhere once you've read the series and read through more of King's books.

One thing I will say about the DT series... many people find the first book to be dry, and hard to get into. Just be patient with it. The 2nd book in the series is amazing, and it will draw you right in and you won't be able to put it down. :D

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 631 comments So far, I'm only 30 pages into 11/22/63, and its already really interesting.

I have heard your same comments on the first book of DT, and to just hurry up and read it to get to the other books. I can't wait to start reading them.

I am a new King reader. Started in November, and I can't put his books down.

message 10: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 928 comments Here's the GR series page for The Dark Tower.

OK, so I'm kinda proud of that one. Heh...

message 11: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 631 comments Thanks Chris!!

message 12: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 928 comments You're welcome. It's great to see an enthusiastic new King fan. I almost envy you for that.

message 13: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 631 comments Chris wrote: "You're welcome. It's great to see an enthusiastic new King fan. I almost envy you for that."

Haha, like I said, I feel like I can't get enough. I wish I read faster than I do so I can devour them quicker.

message 14: by Becky, Ka-Tet (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 2671 comments Once you've read the series, though, the first book makes a lot more sense. It's just one of those books that throw you in the story and you either go with it or don't. But once you know the context... it's amazing.

Ask any DT fan... just the first line is enough to get us excited! LOL

Now I want to read these again! Drat! Chris, whose crazy idea was this no re-reads thing anyway??

message 15: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 928 comments I don't know, because I was just wanting to read them again too.

And It.

message 16: by Becky, Ka-Tet (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 2671 comments And The Shining! There's snow on the ground... it's perfect. *sigh*

2013. Must... be... strong...

message 17: by Erica (new)

Erica (BookPsycho) | 109 comments I never had an issue with the first DT book. Love them all.

message 18: by Chris (new)

Chris | 6 comments I started this series years ago. After reading Wastlands I kind of fell off the series. Been meaning to start it again, just never have. I was at a yards ale last weekend and found a copy of books 5, 6, and 7. I was really excited and went straight home and bought Wizard and Glass on my Nook. I'm all set to finally continue on.

message 19: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 631 comments Chris wrote: "I started this series years ago. After reading Wastlands I kind of fell off the series. Been meaning to start it again, just never have. I was at a yards ale last weekend and found a copy of books ..."

That's awesome Chris! I have been searching for the last three, and finally found them yesterday. I don't like starting a series without having all of the books, so now, I think I can finally start DT....once I finish The Stand. :)

message 20: by David (new)

David jones | 165 comments I've read the first and second, but I havent been able find 3,4,5,6,7 because I wanna own them all. But yea, the first is kinda bland and hard to get into, but the second one I was at the edge of my seat the entire time. I can't wait to finish the series.

message 21: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 631 comments David wrote: "I've read the first and second, but I havent been able find 3,4,5,6,7 because I wanna own them all. But yea, the first is kinda bland and hard to get into, but the second one I was at the edge of m..."

It took me just going around to different used bookstores to find them. (I live in a big city with a lot of Half Price Books stores in my area). I've always seen the first four. Someone gave me the first three. Number four, I found for a dollar at the bookstore in the clearance section. Then, five, six, and seven, I kept looking for, and none of the bookstores seemed to have them. Then, I went to a different HPB bookstore, just on a whim, because its newer and wanted to check it out, and they had five or six copies of each 5, 6, and 7 for 4.99 a piece. I definitely bought them! Also try Amazon.com. You can probably find them used for a couple of cents.

message 22: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 928 comments Kathryn wrote: "Number four, I found for a dollar at the bookstore in the clearance section...."

Best book deal ever.

message 23: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 631 comments Chris wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Number four, I found for a dollar at the bookstore in the clearance section...."

Best book deal ever."

I thought so!! I think even 4.99 for 5, 6, and 7 isn't too bad, especially because I couldn't find them before, and it easily completed my set, so, now once I finish "The Stand" I can start the DT series with a complete set. :)

message 24: by Chris (new)

Chris | 6 comments David wrote: But yea, the first is kinda bland and hard to get into,."

I agree with you. I haven't really found to many dull moments since the first one. I am almost halfway through Wizard and Glass, and I can't put it down. It's cutting into sleep time, and I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to pick this series back up.

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Amarante (Michelle_Amarante) | 3 comments Funny how some feel The Gunslinger was hard to get into. I had bought the book for my aunt, who was also a Stephen King fan, for her birthday and she didn't like it either. So I borrowed it from her after she was done with it. I was hooked from the very first sentence... And for me it's unforgettable. "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed." It started a decades long love for the Dark Tower series.

message 26: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 293 comments I have the old version of The Gunslinger from the 80s. I've heard that the revised version is much easier to read and flows better with the rest of the series.

message 27: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 928 comments Courtney wrote: "I have the old version of The Gunslinger from the 80s. I've heard that the revised version is much easier to read and flows better with the rest of the series."

It does, and he changes up some of the small details for consistency.

message 28: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 293 comments Could explain why I don't love that book like I do the rest of the series :)

message 29: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (NoisyReading) | 105 comments I have to re-read the first three. I haven't read them since they were first released in paperback. I really enjoyed them the first time and recently I have been gathering the rest of the series as I find them at thrift stores. I won't start to read them again until I find #6.

message 30: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2120 comments Chris wrote: "Here's the GR series page for The Dark Tower.

OK, so I'm kinda proud of that one. Heh..."

Odd that some of these books aren't showing as read on my book list!

message 31: by Jason (new)

Jason (Jokers_Knight_Out) | 22 comments I'm going to wait until TWTTK is out so I can read in order. Reading The Drawing of the Three alongside a few other books (Angel Time, Winterland, The Taking, and Corridor). Should give me plenty of waiting time for Wind to come out. Hopefully.

message 32: by Steven (new)

Steven Vore (StevenJV) | 3 comments The Gunslinger is *the* book that got me into reading King's books at all, many years ago (see http://steven.vorefamily.net/2005/08/...). It's the beginning of a series that I've re-read through several times, and I'm gobbling up TWTTK (received my copy last night and got almost no sleep).

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Corridor (other topics)
The Taking (other topics)
Winterland (other topics)
Angel Time (other topics)