THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB discussion

"I AM NOT SURE IF I SHOULD READ THIS BOOK..????"

Comments (showing 1-50 of 136) (136 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Rick (last edited Jan 22, 2012 06:54AM) (new)

Rick F. | 12783 comments Mod
I often come across books that look quite good- yet am not sure if I know enough about the book to actually "take the plunge" and read it. With all of our wonderful James Mason members, we have a deep sea of knowledge to draw from. I felt a great new topic would be a thread for those who are thinking of reading a book to list the book and those members who have already read the book can comment on whether they would recommend it or not. This will give real time feedback to those members who are on the ropes about reading a particular book, and would like to know what fellow members who have read it think.

I will start- I have recently bought a used copy of the following book- and would love feedback from those who have read it- good, bad or indifferent!

Hannah's Dream

Hannah's Dream by Diane Hammond

Vicki (vhadley) | 6 comments I just now put it on my "to read" list. It looks good!

Elizabeth It sounds great. I think you should read it. I have also put it on my "to read" list.

Elizabeth wrote: "It sounds great. I think you should read it. I have also put it on my "to read" list."

Seems like a great story- this thread is also great for alerting others to "new finds!"

Lisa James (sthwnd) | 80 comments But that's the FUN of it! I always just go ahead & take the plunge. What I might not know, I can sure look up :) Like this book of my daughter's, with 720 pages, LOL. It looked rather typically teenaged & "fluffy" to me, but I figured what the heck, I've been reading enough "serious" literature recently, I was due a fluffy chick lit/YA read for a change, LOL. And, well, I'm ashamed to admit that I think it's cute, the humor is very typically teen, & I can relate to the setting since it's set in Florida, & I live here.

Tamara | 1 comments I think this is a great idea! I am always looking for new books and author's and this seems like a fabulous way to share and get reviews on books. Thanks Rick! I also added the book to my "to read" list.

KOMET | 670 comments Rick,

If you're still unsure about reading the book, why not borrow it from your local library and read at least the first 100 pages? Should you enjoy the story at that point and feel that it's a "keeper", return the library book and buy a copy at your favorite bookstore.

Glenda Ricord (glenda-r) Rick wrote: "I often come across books that look quite good- yet am not sure if I know enough about the book to actually "take the plunge" and read it. With all of our wonderful James Mason members, we have a d..."

I'm not sure I could read this. I am particularly sensitive to books/stories about animals with any abuse or sadness involved. I had a hard time reading "Water for Elephants" for this reason. I'm anxious to hear input from the members on this book.

Glenda Ricord (glenda-r) I would like some thoughts from you members who have read Room by Emma Donoghue. I d/l this book for my Kindle several months ago about the time everyone was buzzing about it. I eagerly started it and immediately felt it was too dark for me at that time. This was during the Casey Anthony trial which I was keeping up with and I suspect that had some effect on my reaction to this book. I am thinking about picking it up again. What do you think?

Lisa wrote: "But that's the FUN of it! I always just go ahead & take the plunge. What I might not know, I can sure look up :) Like this book of my daughter's, with 720 pages, LOL. It looked rather typically..."

good points all!!

Tamara wrote: "I think this is a great idea! I am always looking for new books and author's and this seems like a fabulous way to share and get reviews on books. Thanks Rick! I also added the book to my "to read"..."

Thanks- I agree- and helps to increase our feeling of being part of a true online community!

message 12: by Rick (last edited Jan 22, 2012 05:34PM) (new)

Glenda wrote: "Rick wrote: "I often come across books that look quite good- yet am not sure if I know enough about the book to actually "take the plunge" and read it. With all of our wonderful James Mason members..."

KOMET wrote: "Rick,

If you're still unsure about reading the book, why not borrow it from your local library and read at least the first 100 pages? Should you enjoy the story at that point and feel that it's..."

Good point KOMET- yet there aresome books that I want to read because they seem like a great read and not sure if I want to spend time reading 100 pages to decide! Also love to hear what fellow members have to say about books-
Glenda- what appealed to me about the book was it seemed to have a reverse Greyfriar's Bobby theme- with the human taking the part of the loyal "Companion" - refusing to leave the elephant he looked after for so many years.

I picked it up from the library-used- for a buck based on blurbs/plot- seemed like a book that others may have read

Glenda wrote: "I would like some thoughts from you members who have read Room by Emma Donoghue. I d/l this book for my Kindle several months ago about the time everyone was buzzing ..."

I have not read ROOM- but my sister did and I asked her about it- said it was "Slow but emotional in a good sense" - whatever that means Glenda!

Another book I am thinking of- and yes!! I am one of the very very very few to have never read a Stephen King book!! yet one really interests me.. Under the Dome by Stephen King UNDER THE DOME- curious for some feedback- long book!! worth it!

Maggie | 101 comments Rick wrote: "Another book I am thinking of- and yes!! I am one of the very very very few to have never read a Stephen King book!! yet one really interests me..Under the Dome by Stephen King UNDER THE DOME- ..."

Do read - its excellent!

Lindsay (ltg584) It's pretty dark and twisted, as only Stephen King can be. Certainly a hefty read, but I did, in the end, enjoy it.

Brenda | 42 comments Glenda wrote: "I would like some thoughts from you members who have read Room by Emma Donoghue. I d/l this book for my Kindle several months ago about the time everyone was buzzing ..."

Glenda: I have read Room. I did not like it at all. I read it for a book club and only finished it because of that. For me, it seemed too sensationalist, as if it was only written for that reason and as an imagined perspective of horrors that have actually occured. I did not like the narrator at all - he did not seem believable for a five year old - lots of "cutesy" grammar which got very tiresome. I have to say though that I was in the minority at my book club - most of the members absolutely loved it.

Mallory Heart Reviews (Ever-Haunted_Ever-Reader) | 6 comments I just put Room on my Amazon wish list-I'll post my thoughts whenever I get it and get to it.:)
On Under the Dome, I read it at first publication in Nov. 2009, disliked it intensely (probably b/c I bawled through the final 91 pages or so), yet I don't think I have heard anyone else complain-except for a few who spoke of untended threads. I don't know that I would recommend it as a first Stephen King though:( That would be like recommending the unabridged The Stand! I would start with something like Dreamcatcher

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) The first Stephen King book I read was The Mist.....a novella rather than a full length book. I have never forgotten it!! It would also be a good start for the first time King reader.

Mallory Heart Reviews (Ever-Haunted_Ever-Reader) | 6 comments True! Anything that's less complicated than Dome and Stand (and less gory than Desperation)
Maybe 'Salem's Lot.

Lindsay wrote: "It's pretty dark and twisted, as only Stephen King can be. Certainly a hefty read, but I did, in the end, enjoy it."

Maggie wrote: "Rick wrote: "Another book I am thinking of- and yes!! I am one of the very very very few to have never read a Stephen King book!! yet one really interests me..Under the Dome by Stephen King UND..."

thanks- plot just facinated me- just got it based on both of your posts- my it is a big tome!!!!

Mallory Anne-Marie wrote: "True! Anything that's less complicated than Dome and Stand (and less gory than Desperation)
Maybe 'Salem's Lot."

love to know if you saw Salem's Lot- curious as James Mason had the pivotal role in film

Mallory Heart Reviews (Ever-Haunted_Ever-Reader) | 6 comments LOL! I also am one of the few on this planet, it seems, who loved 77 Shadow Street and The Hypnotist, hated Under the Dome, and refuses to read Stephenie Meyer.

Yes! I remember the film of Salem's Lot-I think:)

Mallory Anne-Marie wrote: "LOL! I also am one of the few on this planet, it seems, who loved 77 Shadow Street and The Hypnotist, hated Under the Dome, and refuses to read Stephen..."

another one who has not yet read any of the Larsson books- have me though!!

James Mason played the suave yet eeeeeevil!!! Antique Shop owner in Salem's Lot

Shannon (shayrp) | 47 comments I have been a Stephen King fan since my early teens and Salem's Lot is my favorite of his. I am reading Gerald's Game right now. A great Stephen King starter book, in my opinion, would be The Cell. It goes faster than most of his. I have not read Under the Dome yet. I have also read all of Larsson's books, am a huge Dean Koontz fan, and have read everything from Stephenie Meyer so far. Oh the Room was good but in this horrible admission; the little boy made me want to rip my hair out. It actually stressed me out a couple of times and I had to put it down, serious case of the grouchies.

Shannon (shayrp) | 47 comments BTW Hannah's Dream sounds good. I am always afraid I will cry if there are animals involved in stories but I read them anyway.

Robert Gray | 8 comments Rick, UNDER THE DOME is a fine novel, but it is a beast of a book. If you're new to King, try Full Dark, No Stars It's a collection of four novellas. All are good.

Cheryl Landmark (clandmark) | 221 comments The Stand is an excellent book by Stephen King, too. That, and Salem's Lot, are my two favourites.

Robert wrote: "Rick, UNDER THE DOME is a fine novel, but it is a beast of a book. If you're new to King, try Full Dark, No Stars It's a collection of four novellas. All are good."

appreciate that Robert- will check it out!!

Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King

Maggie | 101 comments My favourite Stephen King book is (and always will be) The Shining - one of the few books I'll read again and again. Absolutely hate the Kubrick film version though!

Emily | 35 comments I've been wondering if I should read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and its sequels.

Shannon (shayrp) | 47 comments I loved them Emily. A few friends complained about the first 50 or so pages of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo but once they got past that they really enjoyed it.

Bridget R. Emily wrote: "I've been wondering if I should read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and its sequels."

If you don't like violence, don't read this series. It's very violent at times, but the violence has a place in the story--it's not there for shock value.

Maggie | 101 comments I agree about the first 50 pages or so of TGWTDT - I very nearly gave up but am so glad I didn't - all three books are real page turners - and Salander WOW!

Brenda | 42 comments Emily: I agree about the violence of that book. It was way over the top. I did not enjoy TGWTDT at all.
(I have to say though that I was in the minority at my book club - most loved it).

Emily | 35 comments Thanks. I think I'm convinced now.

Paige Bleu (PaigeBleu) | 12 comments I love this idea Rick! Ok so nobody hate me please...I'm warning in advance Lol. I'm on the fence about reading the Hunger Games. I know, I know, everybody is raving about it. My nieces are 12 and keep bugging me to read it. All the reviews are good, and they just made it a movie. The thing is the 'concept'. I enjoy a dystopia enough, and I love paranormal and sci-fi...I'm just sorta wigged out by the premise. I have 2 kids and the whole theme of the book and what I've been told turns my stomach. I'm sure the writing is fabulous and interesting...but, just not sure. Thoughts? I would love opinions of those of you who have read it. Thanks

Miss.terri | 6 comments I was thinking the same thing about The Hunger Games. The violence was not as descriptive as I thought it would be....I was happy about that. The subject matter of the first book is difficult at best but was handled better than I thought. The story grabbed me. I am on the second book and not sure what it holds yet. It is well written and an easy read due to the writting style. If you have a difficult time with that sort of thing (violence, teens forced to murder by government, and such things) then the series is not for you.

Paige Bleu (PaigeBleu) | 12 comments I really apreciate your feedback Miss.terri, and BTW thanks even more for not hating me for questioning the 'beloved'! I can handle some violence, ie. vampires and stuff, but this just seems to real right now in light of current events. Not tryin to take myself too seriously, but I guess I am a bit sensitive when it comes to kidlets gettin hurt...specially by 'the man'. I think I'll hold off a while. Sounds like something that would give me nightmares at best! I'll stick to starting the Sookie Stackhouse novels as planned. That's my kind of blood. Thanks again...you rock ;-)

Paige wrote: "I love this idea Rick! Ok so nobody hate me please...I'm warning in advance Lol. I'm on the fence about reading the Hunger Games. I know, I know, everybody is raving about it. My nieces are 12 and ..."

Thanks- I really do feel we can make great use of the enormous resource of knowledge hereon making decisions on what to read!

message 41: by Rick (last edited Apr 01, 2012 02:24PM) (new)

I must admit I have not read The Hunger Games- with all the media about the film- is it a book that will appeal to one who does not usually read YA?

Shannon (shayrp) | 47 comments I had my hubby read it and he is a fan. He had read Harry Potter but didn't get into ya until after The Hunger Games. I also got him hooked on Darren Shan.

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 22 comments I'm jumping on the bandwagon and will read The Hunger Games. I'll pass on the movie though.

Rick, my sister absolutely loved Under the Dome. She recommended Exodus as a great book - she was right! Patrice is very discerning when it comes to reading and as eclectic as I am. Maybe we can read Under the Dome together?

Stacy (StacyMiller40) | 31 comments Rick wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "It's pretty dark and twisted, as only Stephen King can be. Certainly a hefty read, but I did, in the end, enjoy it."

Maggie wrote: "Rick wrote: "Another book I am thinking of- and ..."

I am curious to read this book now as well. Their is a YA series by Michael Grant that has a similar premise.

Stacy (StacyMiller40) | 31 comments Paige wrote: "I really apreciate your feedback Miss.terri, and BTW thanks even more for not hating me for questioning the 'beloved'! I can handle some violence, ie. vampires and stuff, but this just seems to rea..."

I have a friend who held off reading the story for the same concerns you have listed. She did just finish it and while It remained disturbing to her I don’t think she regretted reading it. It is a good place to start a discussion with people. I think a good dystopia novel holds a truth about society that we can recognize, which is why the future presented is so scary. It is something we see as a possibility. Now, I can’t imagine a world where we would ever let our children be murdered for entertainment, but our obsession with reality shows makes me wonder how far we will eventually go.

Stacy (StacyMiller40) | 31 comments Rick wrote: "I must admit I have not read The Hunger Games- with all the media about the film- is it a book that will appeal to one who does not usually read YA?"

My husband really enjoyed the Hunger Games.

Stephen King has two short stories that are similar in theme. The Long Walk and The Running Man. I remember enjoying both.

Judy Clemens (judyclemens) | 4 comments I an an adult who read The Hunger Games (and the whole trilogy). I especially liked the first book, and even if you are not a huge fan of the whole YA dystopian thing, this is a case where you might at least want to read the first one so you can be a part of the whole cultural phenomenon, and can talk about it. I have heard some adults criticize the concept of the book and whether or not kids should be reading it, only to find out they haven't read the book themselves! As with any book (or movie, or TV show, or whatever) it's necessary to be familiar with the content so you can have discussions about it. So sure, I think you should try it out, if only for those reasons. And who knows? You might love it!

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) I read YA books now and then (I got started as my kids grew and even when they were grown didn't stop, LOL). I read The Hunger Games back when it came out and liked it a lot. The problem (*****NOTE***** This is my take and my taste, so be aware of that. If you've read some of my reviews you might know whether you'll tend to agree or not, so... just a word.)

As I was saying before I sidetracked myself...for me the problem came in the third book of the trilogy. I liked the second book pretty well, thought it ran a bit hot and cold, but the third, Mockingjay I felt failed badly to fulfill the promise of the first book. Take it for what it's worth. Read my reviews if you want.

But, the first (Hunger Games) is a very well written, enjoyable book.

Anne (Booklady) wrote: "I'm jumping on the bandwagon and will read The Hunger Games. I'll pass on the movie though.

Rick, my sister absolutely loved Under the Dome. She recommended Exo..."</i>

<i>Stacy wrote: "Rick wrote: "I must admit I have not read The Hunger Games- with all the media about the film- is it a book that will appeal to one who does not usually read YA?"

My husband really enjoyed the Hun..."</i>

<i>Judy wrote: "I an an adult who read The Hunger Games (and the whole trilogy). I especially liked the first book, and even if you are not a huge fan of the whole YA dystopian thing, this is a case where you mig..."</i>

<i>Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "I read YA books now and then (I got started as my kids grew and even when they were grown didn't stop, LOL). I read [book:The Hunger Games
back when it came out and liked it a lot. The pro..."

Shay wrote: "I had my hubby read it and he is a fan. He had read Harry Potter but didn't get into ya until after The Hunger Games. I also got him hooked on Darren Shan."

I really appreciate all the great feedback! How wonderful is it to have such a great Community of readers/friends!!

Brandon West | 19 comments You are doing the right thing. The trilogy was fantastic. Well worth the hype.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hannah's Dream (other topics)
Room (other topics)
Under the Dome (other topics)
Dreamcatcher (other topics)
The Stand (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Emma Donoghue (other topics)