The History Book Club discussion

ARCHIVE - 50 BOOKS/100 MOVIES > JUDY TANGUAY'S 50 BOOKS READ IN 2012

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jul 20, 2012 09:08AM) (new)

Bentley | 31635 comments Mod
Judy, here is your new thread for 2012.

Our Format:

JANUARY

1. My Early Life 1874-1904 by Winston Churchill Winston ChurchillWinston S. Churchill
Finish date: March 2008
Genre: (whatever the genre of the book happens to be)
Rating: A
Review: You can add text from a review you have written but no links to any review elsewhere even goodreads. And that is about it. Just make sure to number consecutively and just add the months.

message 2: by Judy (last edited Jul 21, 2012 06:06AM) (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments JUNE

1. Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle by The Countess of Carnarvon The Countess of CarnarvonThe Countess of Carnarvon
Finish date: June 2012
Genre: History, Biography, England
Review: After getting hooked on the Downton Abbey series on PBS, I was motivated to search out the real story of the family, and this book is definitely a must-read for any fan of the show. Letters, diaries, newspaper stories, photos and other primary sources are all compiled to give a thorough picture of the Countess, her family and the disappearing years of Edwardian England.
My favorite aspect of the book was the description of Lady Almina's wartime efforts to create a long-term care hospital and rehabilitation center for wounded soldiers at the castle. Her methods of nursing soldiers and training nurses are instructive and relevant even today.
Even if you haven't seen the PBS series, you'll find this book an easy, enjoyable read.

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Glad to see you using the thread. Thank you for following the required format.

message 4: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments JULY

2. Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland Susan VreelandSusan Vreeland
Finish date: July 2012
Genre: Historical Fiction, Art, Audiobook
Rating: B
Review: Historical fiction that follows the imagined path of a Vermeer painting from the brush of the painter into the hands of the Nazis. The details of the settings and characters bring to life each historical era the author delves into. The author has written several novels that take the reader into the fictional backstory of famous artists and their works. The "B" grade comes from a comparison with her other novels, because this one has some uneven development, even taking into account the collection of short stories organization.

The audiobook adds a different dimension to the reading experience because each scenario is narrated by a different voice, matching the imagined character's gender and dialect.

message 5: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments 3. The Possessed Adventures With Russian Books and the People Who Read Them by Elif Batuman Elif BatumanElif Batuman
Genre: Memoir, Literary Criticism
Review: I thought this book would be mainly literary analysis of Russian authors, but it is actually more of a memoir/travelogue of the author's graduate study. And it was quite entertaining! She writes with such a deadpan sense of humor about her travels and how they relate to her studies that I found myself carried along through the book and learning something about the authors and books along the way.

It's a hard book to categorize because it isn't strictly a travel memoir, nor is it a scholarly analysis of Russian literature. However, I would say that I'm more likely to read some of these Russian authors simply because I was intrigued by the little-known facts and history surrounding their writing, all developed by this author in this book.

message 6: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Good progress Judy.

message 7: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments 4. An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor Patrick TaylorPatrick Taylor
Genre: Historical Fiction
Review: A cozy historical novel that follows a young, just-graduated medical student to his first apprenticeship with a general practitioner in Ballybucklebo, Ireland. This is the first book in a series that follows Dr. Barry Laverty in his medical mentorship and the ways of Irish country life in the mid-1960s. I especially liked the detailed descriptions of rural doctoring and diagnosing as practiced during this era.

I listened to this on audiobook and the narrator did all the accents and pronunciations with a believable Irish voice. I think this made the book more enjoyable for me because I would have stumbled over all the unfamiliar Irish speech and spellings. I'll probably look for the rest in the series in audiobook for this reason.

message 8: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments 5. A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute Nevil ShuteNevil Shute
Rating: B+
Review: An all around good, satisfying read that didn't turn sappy when a bit of a love story came into the plot. I found the myself pretty interested in the details of how rice is grown and harvested, or how Australian outback stations are run, or how a town can be grown out of pretty uninspiring beginnings. I wasn't surprised to read that the author was an engineer. :-)

I wasn't aware of the WWII battles in Malaysia, and the roles Britain played there. This book's historical detail opened my eyes.

The book is definitely dated with some pretty crude attitudes toward aborigines, women and other cultures. But, I really came to like the main character and initiator of all progress in the book, a strong woman named Jean Paget.

message 9: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments AUGUST

6. Scenes from Village Life by Amos Oz Amos OzAmos Oz
Finish date: August 2012
Rating: A-
Review: Enjoyed this set of slightly connected stories of people living in a small Israeli village, yet didn't quite know what to make of the odd twists and dream-like narrative that popped into the stories. But, the effortless ebb and flow of the writing amazes me and I didn't really care the I didn't "get it". He writes a character's thoughts in such a way that you feel you are inside that person's head.

I will be looking for and reading more from this author and would suggest this book to people interested in deep character-driven writing and Israeli/Jewish historical and cultural topics.

message 10: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments 7. The Checklist Manifesto How to Get Things Right by Atul Gawande Atul GawandeAtul Gawande
Genre: Business, Leadership
Review: I happen to be one of those people who gravitate towards checklists in any shape or form, and love to create them myself. So, this book was preaching to the choir. :-)

The usefulness and applicability of checklists, even by people who think they don't need or would use checklists, is well represented through the author's experience and research. Everyone can find exceptions to the idea, but in general, I would love to see his research taken into other fields, especially education.

Read this book if you're interested in how the aviation and construction industries have capitalized on the use of checklists, the history of checklist adoption, and the idea of discipline as a professional trait.

message 11: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments 8. Clara and Mr. Tiffany by Susan Vreeland Susan VreelandSusan Vreeland
Genre: Art History, U.S. History-1900s
Review: Nice introduction to the art nouveau movement in the early 1900s as well as the art glass design pioneer Louis Tiffany. Clara was an unacknowledged key player in the design of Tiffany lamps and other art glass crafts. A side plot describes the plight of immigrants and women workers during a time when neither group had a voice or power over their working and living conditions. The highlights of the book for me were Clara Driscoll's thoughts about how nature informed her design process and how necessary the freedom of creativity was to her sense of well-being.

The extensive historical research the author completed to write such a convincing portrayal is evident, from descriptions of the various Tiffany lamps and stained-glass panels, to the setting and mood of a Lower East Side immigrant slum. If you're interested in early 1900s New York City history or the art nouveau movement, you'll find this book well worth your time.

message 12: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments 9. Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin Tom FranklinTom Franklin
Genre: Mystery
Review:
Well-crafted mystery that relies on deep, multi-layered characters and their thoughts and actions to drive the plot, rather than a roller coaster of violent crime or chase scenes.

I felt like I was living in rural Mississippi and seeing firsthand a cycle of poverty and despair that was beyond my own experience. Depressing reminder of flawed choices and their effects, no matter what the circumstances might be.

message 13: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments 10. A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving John IrvingJohn Irving
Genre: Literary Fiction
Review: A book meant to stay with you for long after you read it. Deeply complex characters that you meet as children and live with as they grow, a suspenseful story that at times seems so ridiculous that you can't imagine an author actually making it up, and a strong sense of reality in place and time, all combine to create a novel that makes you think about the value of friendship and if there is such a thing as destiny.

Once I got into this book, I felt swept along with the story, almost like watching a movie. While I know it's not a book for everybody, I think it's a good novel to stretch your reading comfort zone. I also found myself looking at America's involvement in the Vietnam War from a very different perspective than the one I was raised with, which makes me feel the book was well worth the time.

message 14: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments SEPTEMBER

11. In Patagonia (Penguin Classics) by Bruce Chatwin Bruce ChatwinBruce Chatwin
Finish date: Septemeber 2012
Genre: Travel, South America
Review: Written in my favorite style of travel writing, with personal anecdotes and unforgettable descriptions of people and places, so I enjoyed the time I spent with this book. Sometimes I found it hard to follow his train of thought and a lot of the historical references were unfamiliar to me, but I just kept reading because he writes so well.

The book has sparked my interest in the area and the history, so I count it as well worth the read.

message 15: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments 12. Before You Know Kindness by Chris Bohjalian Chris BohjalianChris Bohjalian
Finish date: September 2012
Genre: Fiction, Animal Rights, Gun Control
Rating: C
Review: This book just didn't stay with me like Bohjalian's books usually do. It started out strong, but fizzled about 1/2 way through.

While he allowed each character in the story to be a narrator for a time and excelled in creating personalities that rang true, by the middle of the story, I was bored. The intricacies of the legal arguments and all the dialogue between the lawyers just didn't strike me as interesting enough to follow.

message 16: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments 13. Bel Canto by Ann Patchett Ann PatchettAnn Patchett
Genre: Fiction, Opera
Rating B-
Review: I've never thought of myself as someone who would like listening to opera and I mostly just like reading about the history of opera, but this book has actually encouraged me to try listening to the music. The author wrote so beautifully about the way the music makes both the singer and the listener feel, that I'm intrigued. However, the plot was somewhat melodramatic with the love stories and the foreshadowing of the unhappy ending, which is why I gave it the 3 stars.

message 17: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments 14. Falling Angels by Tracy Chevalier Tracy ChevalierTracy Chevalier
Genre: Fiction, Victorian England
Review: Interesting treatment of London society during the turn of the century, just after the death of Queen Victoria and the Victorian age was passing. Three children from different social classes are the main characters, with their parents, siblings and community members also forming the story. The story is told from shifting points of view as each person becomes the narrator for a time. The story follows the changing social and cultural attitudes as the children grow into young adults, leaving or clinging to Victorian sentimentalism in different ways.

I enjoyed the book, but it wasn't on the same level as some of her other books. Possibly too many characters to shift between or the unconvincing maturity in the dialogue of the young children combined to make the book a little disappointing.

message 18: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Military Hist L/Global NF/Eur/Brit/Music (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 11491 comments Mod
You are moving right along, Judy. Thanks for your insightful reviews.

message 19: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments 15. Your Best Just Got Better Work Smarter, Think Bigger, Make More by Jason W. Womack Jason W. WomackJason W. Womack
Genre: Self-Help, Time Management
Rating: A+
Review: I've been a follower of Jason's podcasts for over a year and was so glad when he finally wrote a book that compiles so many of the personal and professional self-management tools he's shared in the past. I credit his book for a lot of positive habits I've introduced into my day recently, especially the habit of writing down the chatter and mental lists cycling in my head that used to cause me so much anxiety and overwhelm.

It's well-organized and has lots of actionable ideas to take away with just a little time spent reading. Nothing overwhelming or time-consuming, just some good ideas and encouragement to just try a few adjustments to what you do in a day.

message 20: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments 16. Sonoma Rose by Jennifer Chiaverini Jennifer ChiaveriniJennifer Chiaverini
Genre: Historical Fiction, US History--1920s, Prohibition
Rating: C-
Review: I've been reading this author's Elm Creek Quilts series since the beginning and have enjoyed the historical research combined with authentic, fascinating characters the majority of her books have highlighted. However, this last one just didn't measure up to her previous work. While the information about Prohibition and wine making in Northern California during the 1920s was pretty interesting, the characters were flat and the plot predictable and rushed. The whole idea of having quilts and quiltmaking as a thread binding the series together was broken with this one. I think quilts were mentioned once or twice, and there are references to quilts from other books, but it definitely wasn't strong enough to feel part of the theme.

I'd suggest people who have already been engaged with this series to read it, just for continuity, but skip it if this is might be your first acquaintance with the author's books.

message 21: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments 17. Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides Jeffrey EugenidesJeffrey Eugenides
Review: What if you could spend some time inside the mind of a person who was neither fully male nor fully female? Reading this book takes you into that experience and creates a three-generation history leading up to the birth of Calliope, or Cal--a child born with ambiguous genitalia, but the anomaly is not discovered until puberty.

I found this book fascinating on many levels, not only the questions of genetics and gender identity, but also the historical background of 1920s - 30s Detroit, the Greek immigrant experience, and the roots of the Nation of Islam. All these elements come into play as you read, and I found the entire story absorbing and honest.

message 22: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments 18. Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler Anne TylerAnne Tyler
Review: A lonely, single, 60-year-old man, recently laid off from an disappointing job as a history teacher at a private school, is randomly attacked in his new apartment and left with no memory of the assault. The memory loss is so upsetting that he starts investigating ways to somehow recover the episode, in a variety of unobtrusive ways, but ends up stumbling into a relationship that forces him to re-evaluate his entire life. He's always just bumbled along, avoiding confrontation and living only half-aware of the world and people around him. But this relationship makes him pull his head out the sand and attach some meaning to the memories he's avoided for so long.

A wandering, superficially aimless story, but it still expresses some understated life lessons that seem quite relevant to people who are going through transitions, or who feel like they are just going through the motions of living.

message 23: by Judy (last edited Oct 08, 2012 08:37AM) (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments 19. The Little Guide to Your Well-Read Life How to Get More Books in Your Life and More Life from Your Books by Steve Leveen Steve LeveenSteve Leveen
Finish Date: September 2012
Genre: Nonfiction, Books and Reading
Review: Very short, well-written little book about creating *your* lifetime reading list, not simply a list of books someone else has deemed worthy of your time. I especially enjoyed the encouragement to write in your books as a way to interact with the author, and a helpful way to review books you've enjoyed in the years to come. Read it if you'd just like a little comforting reassurance that there are other bibliophiles out there just like yourself, who think about books and how they enrich your life on a daily basis.

message 24: by Judy (last edited Oct 08, 2012 08:37AM) (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments OCTOBER

20. The Language of Baklava A Memoir by Diana Abu-Jaber Diana Abu-JaberDiana Abu-Jaber
Finish Date: October 2012
Genre: Memoir
Review: I found myself easily caught up in the narrative voice and language of the author's Arab-American heritage. Using the actual recipes of ethnic foods to add meaning (and flavor) to family anecdotes works for the most part, but sometimes it felt like an unnecessary stylistic distraction.

If you're a foodie and like to read lists of spices and exotic preparation techniques, you'll enjoy this book.

message 25: by Judy (last edited Oct 08, 2012 08:36AM) (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments 21. The Gifts of Imperfection Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are by Brené Brown Brené BrownBrené Brown
Genre: Personal Development
Review: Quick to read, but a lot to learn from this book. This "shame researcher" outlines ten guideposts and ways to dig deep, allowing vulnerability to become an emotion and attitude you embrace because it brings you courage, compassion, and connection with yourself and with others.

Search for the author's TED talks on "The Power of Vulnerability" and "Listening to Shame" for deep insights on two topics most people struggle with. They make a great addition to reading the book.

message 26: by Bryan, Honorary Contributor - EMERITUS (last edited Oct 08, 2012 07:07AM) (new)

Bryan Craig | 11631 comments Mod
Great job, Judy, keep it up :-) Don't forget to add the word Review right before your it.

message 27: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments 22. The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey Eowyn IveyEowyn Ivey
Genre: Fiction
Review: Combining the magical themes of an old Russian fairy tale with the harsh realities of homesteading in the Alaskan wilderness in the 1920s, this novel manages to sweep the reader into the sights, sounds and feelings associated with the experience of snow and the other-worldliness a snowy landscape can evoke. The characters in this novel are wonderfully imagined and fulfill the job of moving the story forward despite a familiar plot. Although I knew this was inspired by a children's fairy tale, the story is told in a way that makes it universal. I found myself wrapped up in the theme of the significance of family and friends, how essential these aspects of life are especially when you are in survival mode.

message 28: by Judy (last edited Oct 21, 2012 02:48PM) (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments 23. On Writing by Stephen King Stephen KingStephen King
Finish date: October 2012
Genre: Nonfiction

Review: Great book to read even if you have absolutely no plans to write anything creative. It was part memoir, part discussion on his writing process and what you might take away from his story. Like sitting around a living room and listening to him chat about what makes him tick. Finding out how much rejection and reality hounded him, but he kept at it and learned to be himself. Anyone who has dreams that seem to keep getting further and further away might find some inspiration while reading this book.

message 29: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments 24. Thinking the Twentieth Century Intellectuals and Politics in the Twentieth Century by Tony Judt Tony JudtTony Judt
Genre: Intellectual History, Political Philosophy

Review: I was moved to begin reading this after I read an essay about the author written by his wife after his death from ALS at the age of 62. The book is a compilation/transcription of a series of conversations between the author and Timothy Snyder, each prominent historians, but of different generations. I consider it one of the top 5 books I've read this year. A challenging book to read if you're European history-challenged, like myself, but I could follow the line of reasoning and argument despite the unfamiliar territory.

The book follows Tony's development from his early years growing up in a Marxist family, through his experience with Zionism and his education as a French intellectual. The Cold War years through the fall of the Berlin Wall all contribute to his exploration of liberalism and social democracy ideas, and he has become well-known for his brilliant and, at times, controversial historical writing. He puts each period of his life into a context of what was happening politically, economically, and socially, then discusses with Snyder the questions he was seeking to answer at that time and where his answers led him. Snyder does the job of drawing out and getting clarification for these ideas, and we are treated to a real sense of two amazing minds playing off each other.

I'm glad I read this book just for the glimpse into what being a historian is like, the purpose of history and what's possible with good scholarship and writing. I'm also thrilled that I was introduced to both these authors, and they have other books for me to check out.

message 30: by Jill, Assisting Moderator - Military Hist L/Global NF/Eur/Brit/Music (new)

Jill Hutchinson (Bucs1960) | 11491 comments Mod
Thanks for that very informative and insightful review, Judy. It sounds like a book that I need to read.

message 31: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments 25. Wild From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed Cheryl StrayedCheryl Strayed

Review: While I did give this book 2 stars for hooking me right into the story, after the first third of the book, I found myself rolling my eyes at some of the overwritten, hit-you-over-the-head "profound" connections she makes to events in her past history.

The last third of the book read like she was trying to make the book longer by adding a bunch of hazy off-trail experiences to match the time it took her to hike the last leg of the trail. It felt like I was reading a reality TV show, planned out to astound you with the senselessness of a person's thoughts and actions so you could maybe feel like at least you're not THAT bad.

I had higher expectations for the book as a whole, but at least I did find out about the Pacific Crest Trail--a trail system I had no idea about.

message 32: by Judy (last edited Nov 30, 2012 12:41PM) (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments NOVEMBER

26. The Hour Between Dog and Wolf Risk Taking, Gut Feelings and the Biology of Boom and Bust by John Coates John CoatesJohn Coates
Finish date: November 2012
Genre: Economics; Biology

Review: Pretty creative application of research in both economics and neurobiology, two scientific fields that are generally separate from each other in terms of research questions and experimental models. The author makes the case that high testosterone drives a lot of the risky and/or intuitive leaps the financial trading floor is known for, and that introducing different rewards and motivations might be a step towards making the financial markets less volatile and more rational. While the book is centered on financial markets, the research the author explores has applications to many other environments.

If you're interested in how these two scientific fields might complement each other and possibly drive some public financial policy changes, this might be a book to read. But it is also an example of good scientific writing for anyone curious about our basic human need to be certain, even when it's impossible.

message 33: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments 27. The Willpower Instinct How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do to Get More of It by Kelly McGonigal Kelly McGonigalKelly McGonigal
Genre: Psychology, Personal Productivity

Review: I've read a lot of books on procrastination and improving personal productivity, so I was pretty skeptical of this book having anything new or surprising to reveal. But, I was wrong. What I appreciated about this book was the reassuring tone and the ideas for cultivating an attitude of self-compassion as a concrete step towards tackling your willpower challenges.

Since the book was developed from the author's wildly popular continuing education course at Standford, the format and progression of the chapters lends itself easily to planning your own "willpower challenge" project.

message 34: by Donna (new)

Donna (drspoon) | 681 comments Judy wrote: "25.Wild From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl StrayedCheryl StrayedCheryl Strayed

Review: While I did give thi..."

I was thinking about reading this one - sounds like I would be better off to skip it. I had read other reviewers who were disappointed that the book was more about the author's "inner life" than hiking experience.

message 35: by Judy (last edited Dec 05, 2012 07:31PM) (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments 28. Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali Ayaan Hirsi AliAyaan Hirsi Ali

Review: A courageous and eye-opening autobiography detailing the life of an extremely strong, articulate woman and the trials she experienced as she fled Islamic oppression in Somalia, Saudi Arabia, Kenya and Ethiopia.

Reading this book revealed many aspects of Islamic life that I had never known or considered before, but it also got me thinking about immigration, culture and welfare states in general. Ayaan's story crosses into many social arenas--human rights, freedom of speech, culture wars, etc., so readers experience these abstract dilemmas in a much more personal way through her eyes.

message 36: by Donna (new)

Donna (drspoon) | 681 comments Mmm, I was thinking about reading this one, too. Think I'll put it on the list.

message 37: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) | 93 comments DECEMBER

29. The Angel of Darkness (Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, #2) by Caleb Carr Caleb CarrCaleb Carr
Finish date: December 2012

Review: I really enjoyed the author's first book, The Alienist (Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, #1) by Caleb Carr, and had great expectations for this sequel, but I was quite disappointed. I know it can sound picky, but I wanted to go through the book with "search and replace" on my computer to change every instance of "what" coming from Stevie's narration into "that". The attempt to stay true to an early New York City slum dialect read as very contrived and even patronizing to me, as the reader, and it just didn't work with the characterization of Stevie as narrator (a secondary, though interesting character in the first book) in general.

The plot and psychological elements were interesting and unusual enough to keep me reading through to the end, but the climax involving the chase for Libby Hatch (the psycho mom/villain) was written like a half-hearted attempt to get the book finished and wrapped up, and tie in a little historical ambiance. Huge disappointment.

If you read the first book and liked it and were intrigued by the characters and the developing science of forensics and psychology during the era, I would still suggest this book. But this book just doesn't ring true in the narration or in the character development, so don't expect it to give you even half of the connection the first one did.

message 38: by Peter (new)

Peter Flom | 1066 comments Judy wrote: "DECEMBER

29.The Angel of Darkness (Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, #2) by Caleb CarrCaleb CarrCaleb Carr
Finish date: December 2012

Review: I really enjoyed the author's first ..."

I remember not liking the 2nd book as well as the first, but I forget why....

message 39: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (MsTaz) | 5516 comments I too LOVED his first book and heard through a friend that the second one was not nearly as good so have not rushed to put it on my list. Thanks for your review Judy. I'll still look at other works this author produces, but probably not this one.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

My Early Life, 1874-1904 (other topics)
Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle (other topics)
Girl in Hyacinth Blue (other topics)
The Possessed: Adventures With Russian Books and the People Who Read Them (other topics)
An Irish Country Doctor (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Winston S. Churchill (other topics)
Fiona Carnarvon (other topics)
Susan Vreeland (other topics)
Elif Batuman (other topics)
Patrick Taylor (other topics)
More...