Q&A with Dreamscape Covers discussion

About Cover Art > Types of Cover Art

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dreamscape Covers | 66 comments Mod
Cover Art may seem one dimensional, but actually has an entire world of options!

When deciding a cover for your book, you need to ask yourself what type of cover suites your book? What will captivate readers and convince them that your book is worth buying?

Horace Ponii (HoraceTPonii) How does the cover art process work? That's not a very good question, but I guess what I'm asking is if there is a process in place? Does it start by asking for a mood -whether it is serious or funny? Or do you start with basic colors? Do colors have an effect on the mood?

I never gave this any thought before & now I find a whole world of subtle possibilities opening up. It actually gets confusing.

J.D. Stroube | 17 comments Mod
The process is different with every artist. When designing a cover, it's important to know the genre, target audience, and have a feel for the book itself. Each of these shapes the type of cover that will be needed. Then you need to find the root of the book, but will be appealing when it's translated into art. Color, focal point, the authors taste, etc. also play a large role.
In my case, I start with the basics (genre, target audience, plot) and get a feel for what the author is drawn to. Then it's important to generate several ideas and pose them to the author. Once an idea is chosen, it's a matter of choosing how to really make the cover stand out with that idea in place.
Once all of that has been decided, the entire process relies on communication between the artist and author. Sending frequent updates to make sure the cover is on the right track is important, just as the author being honest about their opinion is. It's really a dance between two individuals to create the perfect choreography to suit the book & make it sell. :)

unread topics | mark unread