Fantasy Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group business and info > Introductions - tell us a little about yourself

Comments (showing 251-300 of 3,694) (3694 new)    post a comment »

message 251: by Henry (last edited Mar 08, 2009 05:43PM) (new)

Henry Leslie wrote: "Hello to all the new members! I noticed a few people mentioning they are either currently into RP gaming or are retired RP gamers. I'm in the latter category--just not enough time for it these days..."

Lol Leslie, you gave me a big smile. I am 30 now, and work as an accountant. I still play D&D, and I hope I get to be twice my age and still play. (I look to the late Gary Gygax as an example...). The group I am fortunate to run my game for are all around my age and include a guy with an economics Phd., a librarian and an IT professional (who plays on a band on weekends). It's always good to meet fellow gamers. Oh, anyone that's bored, check out my group's website: http://landsofashesandshadows.wikidot...

Tell me if I am been too hard on the guys...I think they are all afraid to say something (I am a nice guy I swear!).

message 252: by Heather (new)

Heather Hi everyone,

My name is Heather and I'm from the Pacific Northwest, although I moved to Brooklyn recently. I've been a devourer of books my entire life, especially science fiction and fantasy.

Some of my favorite scifi/fantasy authors are:

Orson Scott Card
Steven Brust
Illona Andrews
Kim Harrison
Neil Gaiman
Charles de Lint
Sherwood Smith

I'm looking forward to reading along with all of you.

message 253: by Karen (last edited Mar 11, 2009 10:08AM) (new)

Karen  (Primos) Hiya I'm Karen from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I'm working at a college temporarily as a Counsellor and for every one of my breaks, I always have a book tucked in my hand bag for 30 minutes of pleasure.

My favourite Fantasy Writers & Series:

Raymond E. Feist

Robert Jordan
(Wheel of Time series...still not finished with it)

David & Leigh Eddings
(Redemptions of Althalus, Belgarion, Mallorean, Tamuli, Elenium)

c.s. Lewis (Chronicles of Narnia)

I'm always looking for something new to read and any recommendations is always welcomed!

message 254: by Brandy *Ahviel* (new)

Brandy *Ahviel* (ahviel) Henry wrote: "Hi all. My name is Henry. I have lived in the Caribbean, North Carolina (while in the US Army) and currently live in the area around Boston, MA. I have read and loved fantasy through most of my lif..."

Welcome..... The Black Company was one of my favorite books as well

message 255: by Brandy *Ahviel* (new)

Brandy *Ahviel* (ahviel) Adrianna wrote: "What role plays do you participate in Tanya? I role play too! Just love it. I participate in some groups on IMVU, and I have one on Yahoo. "

RPG's are fun..I to get into them online. I also grew up with Dungeons and Dragons, back in the day :)

message 256: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 834 comments Welcome, Karen and Heather....

message 257: by Amanda (last edited Mar 13, 2009 08:38PM) (new)

Amanda (Amandahandiamhen) Um, hi. This is probably the first time I've made a post in this group for the whole month I've been a part of it. The discussions just fly by so rapidly I can't keep up with them. Anyways, thats not much of an introduction. *ahem*

I am Amanda Greene, avid book reader and adorer of Fantasy and Science Fiction/Futurism. I'm currently reading quite a few books right now and as are follows.

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
Voices by Ursula K. Le Guin
Mistborn The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

Some of my favorite books include:

The Hobbit Or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Giver Series by Lois Lowry
The Ranger's Apprentice Series by John Flannagan
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

I also really like to write FAntasy as well. Well, now I feel like I'm realy part of this group.

message 258: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 834 comments Welcome to the group, Amanda....

message 259: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (sabrinafaire) OK I'm finally getting around to posting this. I've been a member here for awhile and just keep putting this off. I'm Sabrina, I live in Omaha and I'm from Chicago. I've always loved the fantasy genre since I was a kid. I remember times as a little kid my dad getting my brother and me up at 4AM to watch The Hobbit cartoon on PBS. Back in the days before most people could afford a VCR!

Fantasy I've Read:

Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley (my fav book of all time)
Wheel of Time (I'm currently re-reading this in preparation for Book 12! I'm half way through The Dragon Reborn right now)
Game of Thrones
Mistborn
Lord of the Rings (I actually did not enjoy reading these books but I like the movies)

I would also like to read The Sword of Truth series after I'm done with WoT. I've been watching The Legend of the Seeker TV show and I do like it, though I'm guessing the books are better.

message 260: by Iamthatis (new)

Iamthatis I'm from Wisconsin, and I'll let my name on this site stand for itself. It's a reference to my favorite fantasy series..wot, wot. I'm an elementary teacher, teaching Third Grade this year. My wife is a romance reader, and a paraprofessional in our school. Two of my four children enjoy books. The other two enjoy avoiding them.

I'm really enjoying the Ink trilogy. Others from the past include Dragonlance Chronicles (which I've reread)and Legends, Lord of the Rings (and of course, The Hobbit), Donita K. Paul's Dragon stories-great reads. Oh, and the two books that really started me on this genre-A Wrinkle in Time, and Watership Down.

On a more juvenile level, I've really liked the Artemis Fowl series, and the Charlie Bone series.

message 261: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 629 comments OMG Iamthatis - we share a lot in common! I'm also reading Inkheart. And Wrinkle was my first "fantasy book" - I loved the witches and the various planets the 2D one always scared me and the children all bounding their balls together. Watership Down is one of my favorite all time books. In fact I just did a re-read on it after about 25 years from last read and it is still so great. I love just about all the characters but especially Hazelrah!

Welcome to the group!

-- Robin (13 days until Avempartha)

message 262: by Angie (new)

Angie Hello all, I'm Angie from Jakarta, Indonesia. I work as a part time lecturer and a fantasy reader in my free time.
My first fantasy book would be LOTR (and The Hobbit), and Harry Potter after that. I just begin book two of WoT series, already in loved with this series since book one no matter how long it'll be.

Some of my favorite authors are:
Robert Jordan
J.R.R. Tolkien
J.K. Rowling
Jonathan Stroud (The Bartimaeus Trilogy is awesome)

Nice to know all of you, and thanks for the great recommendations.

message 263: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 834 comments Welcome, Sabrina, Angie, and Iamthatis.....it's great to see the group growing

message 264: by Leslie Ann (last edited Mar 19, 2009 05:57PM) (new)

Leslie Ann (LeslieAnn) | 224 comments Pardon my ignorance, but who and/or what is Iamthatis and what book is this character from?

Oh, and welcome to all you newcomers!

Leslie Ann, author of Griffin's Daughter and Griffin's Shadow

message 265: by Iamthatis (new)

Iamthatis Robin-That's almost creepy. I just re-read Watership Down last year after 25 years or there abouts. Last year was a big year of re-reads for me.

Leslie-It's a reference to a Redwall character whose real name is Matthias. The letters in his name, when rearranged, spell I am That Is. I'm pretty sure Matthias is in the original story, but I'm not 100% certain of that.

message 266: by Iamthatis (new)

Iamthatis Hadn't thought of that one. Amanda mentioned The Giver series. Great books! I didn't like The Messenger as much as the other two, but it was good to see Matt again.

message 267: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann (LeslieAnn) | 224 comments Thanks for the explanation Iamthatis!

message 268: by yellowbird (new)

yellowbird I've always hated this kind of thing, but here goes...
Hi, everyone! (waves) I'm from a town near Chicago, am temporarily unemployed, and have been reading ever since I got my first pair of glasses when I was five. (You see, I've been a geek ever since I was just a little thing!) I'm happily married to a wonderful man who claims he really doesn't mind the books piled up untidily all over the house, or the tendency I have to disappear when we're in a bookstore, so that he has to call my cellphone to find out where I am.

I read almost anything, but fantasy is my favorite genre.
Some of my favorite fantasy writers:

Terry Pratchett
David Eddings
Neil Gaiman (mostly, although some of his stuff just doesn't work for me)
Lawrence Watt-Evans
Jack Whyte
Sergei Lukyanenko
Connie Willis
Robin Hobb
Glen Cook

and lots of others, I'm afraid. And now that I've been on GoodReads for a week or so, I've found a lot of other books that I'm going to have to check out. (Sigh. My husband will soon be sorry that he told me about this site...)

And one of these days I'll finish my profile and find an icon. Probably. Although I'm an awful procrastinator, and the weather has been really nice lately...

message 269: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (TiffanyAK) Hello everyone,
My name is Tiffany. I'm from Alaska, and I've been an avid reader since before I started school. I especially enjoy fantasy (obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be here), but read just about anything. It's my good luck that I stumbled across this group when I already own one of this month's books to read for discussion, so hopefully I'll be able to read it before the end of the month. Cheers!

message 270: by Leslie Ann (last edited Mar 20, 2009 11:13PM) (new)

Leslie Ann (LeslieAnn) | 224 comments Welcome Yellowbird and Tiffany!

Hey Yellowbird, your handle just happens to be the name of a prominent character in my sci-fi novel-in-progress!

Griffin's Daughter (Griffin's Daughter Trilogy, Book 1) by Leslie Ann Moore
Griffin's Daughter

Griffin's Shadow (Griffin's Daughter Trilogy, Book 2) by Leslie Ann Moore
Griffin's Shadow

message 271: by Miryam (new)

Miryam Hi! I'm brand new to goodreads, so I hope you don't mind me introducing myself.
My name is Miryam; I'm a grad student in Ohio. I read a lot of theoretical and factual stuff for my program, so in my free time I load up on fiction, especially fantasy. I'd be hard-pressed to come up with all my favorite authors, but among others I really like:
Ursula K. LeGuin
Patricia McKillip
Robin McKinley
Steven Brust (mostly his older stuff)
And I have to admit, the reason this group caught my eye was The Princess Bride. What a fun book!

message 272: by Darkangel (new)

Darkangel (Darkangel88) i am new to gr and to this group. I hated to read when i was in highschool until jk rowling came out with the harry potter series i got into reading alot. What I found out is that if i can see the book play out while i am reading then i can't put it down. If i can not get pass the first few pages then i wont read it. I am from Northern Ohio married and have 2 daughters.

message 273: by Mediks (last edited Mar 24, 2009 06:39AM) (new)

Mediks Hi, my name is Dave. I live in Ontario, Canada and work as a Primary Care Paramedic. I work in a rural area so I find that I have a lot of time on my hands to read while at work. Yeah for me! I fell in love with fantasy in about grade four when my late older sister purchased the first 3 novels of Xanth by Piers Anthony for my older brother. After he devoured them, I took them for my own and have yet to give them back! Since then, it's been my genre of choice.
My most read authors include...

Terry Brooks
David Eddings
Terry Goodkind
Guy Gavriel Kay
Robert Jordan
Robin Hobb
Raymond E Feist
Steven Erikson

to name a few!

I enjoy these clubs as I am always on the search for a new author to read and enjoy! Looking forward to sharing ideas and exploring new worlds.

message 274: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wtonga) Hello everyone... I just stumbled onto the Bartimaeus Trilogy at a bookfair at my job today and then when I went to update "MY Books", I stumbled across this group. It sounds like I can get way too many ideas for my next book to read but that's a good thing...

I live in Mesa, AZ and am a commercial construction customer service rep for a local power company here. I help businesses get power to newly built buildings.

I was introduced to the Hobbit by my 7th grade teacher when I was 11 (yes 11 is correct.. I skipped a grade from third to fifth). I had been a book geek since I was about 4 yrs old. This was my first experience with fantasy but that's almost all that I read now. I especially like the YA fantasy because I don't like smut.

I really like the following Authors:

Brandon Mull: Fablehaven series
Stephenie Myers: Twilight Series (I have THE HOST but haven't started that one yet)
Wayne Thomas Batson: The Door Within Trilogy
Christopher Paolini: Inheritance series
Alison Croggon: The Books of Pellinor

Cinda Williams Chima: The Warrior Heir, The Wizard Heir and The Dragon Heir. She's coming out with another series and I look forward to reading it as well. I really like Cinda.

JK Rowling
Angie Sage: Septimus Heap series
The Inkheart Series (I actually didn't know this was a series when I read the first one but I've recently found the other two that are now "To Be Read")

Whew.. anyways... I'm glad to see this group. I am usually reading one to books at the same time so it will be fun to read the book of the month with the rest of y'all.

message 275: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wtonga) I have one more question... Has anyone read the books by Obert Skye?

message 276: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 834 comments Welcome, Tiffany and yellowbird, Miryam, Dave, Darkangel and Wendy....

Oh, and Wendy. I lived in Mesa, AZ when I was 11 or 12, and that's when I was introduced to The Hobbit....

message 277: by yellowbird (new)

yellowbird Leslie wrote: "Welcome Yellowbird and Tiffany!

Hey Yellowbird, your handle just happens to be the name of a prominent character in my sci-fi novel-in-progress!

[bc:Griffin's Daughter|1362888|Griffin's Daugh..."

:)
How weird! And is Yellowbird a hero or a villain? Hopefully it's a character of great importance, who takes part in memorable and moving dialog, and doesn't get killed off by giant mutant slugs or something demeaning like that... (well, you did say sci-fi, right?)
You'll have to let me know when the book is about to come out, so I can add it to my ever growing TBR shopping list, along with Inkheart and Poison Study and all the rest.

message 278: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 629 comments Wendy wrote: "Hello everyone... I just stumbled onto the Bartimaeus Trilogy at a bookfair at my job today and then when I went to update "MY Books", I stumbled across this group. It sounds like I can get way too..."

Welcome Wendy - I loved Bartimeus and sorry haven't heard of Obert Skye. Welcome to the group!

message 279: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann (LeslieAnn) | 224 comments Yellowbird,

My Yellow Bird is a shaman and the chieftess of her tribe. She is a very powerful and wise woman. I know this sounds more like a fantasy novel character, but in fact, this novel is pure sci-fi. It takes place on a planet colonized a thousand years previously by humans from Earth.

In the meantime, I invite you to check out my two books I have out now, which are #1 and #2 in a fantasy trilogy, Griffin's Daughter and Griffin's Shadow. The first book is an award winner, and the second book has been getting excellent reviews so far.

message 280: by John (new)

John Beachem | 373 comments Welcome aboard, Wendy and Dave. Look forward to chatting with both of you. If you're looking for authors to read I always, always start by recommending George R.R. Martin. Truly one of the finest authors in the industry.

message 281: by yellowbird (new)

yellowbird Leslie wrote: "Yellowbird,

My Yellow Bird is a shaman and the chieftess of her tribe. She is a very powerful and wise woman. I know this sounds more like a fantasy novel character, but in fact, this novel is p..."

Interesting...especially since I just read a bunch of books on Native American legends last year. I can't wait to see the society that evolved from them, and if there were any alien critters that got adopted into their mythology. If that's the direction you've gone with this. Maybe I should just shut my mouth and wait for the book, hmmm?
I hereby promise I won't fish for any more information...except maybe the release date.

message 282: by John (new)

John Beachem | 373 comments Welcome to the group, Jeff. I'm right there with you on the matter of good and evil. It's why I prefer George R.R. Martin and SM Stirling to, say, Robert Jordan or David Eddings.

message 283: by Derek (new)

Derek Hi, all. I'm Derek, and my main claim to fame is my ability to leave 2+ minute voicemails that say very little in a variety of repetitive ways. Sadly, my introduction appears to be similar...

Since I have read all 297 previous posts in the last couple of hours, I have about a zillion things that bubbled through my consciousness, but I'll try to restrain myself at least a little.

I grew up near Seattle, went east for college, and have been back on the west coast for the last 16 years (for grad school and my career as an engineer). My early fantasy was Oz, Narnia, and Xanth, but I also read Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, and the Three Investigators, so it's probably safe to say that I enjoy series. Somewhere among the HS years, I moved into "softer" Sci Fi like Isaac Asimov (Foundation), Orson Scott Card (Ender), Dan Simmons (Hyperion), and Frederik Pohl (Heechee), as well as more fantasy (LOTR, Pern, & Thomas Covenant). (Jiminy Christmas, do I ever read anything that isn't a series?!?!?) In college I moved away from the center onto the Fantasy side of the Fantasy/SciFi divide, but I'm only 90% ensconced there.

I still read as often as possible, but that has become harder over the last 8 years since I met my wife, who, shockingly enough, DOES NOT believe that 400+ fantasy paperback books constitute a "library" or deserve to be prominently displayed in our living room! (Other than these rather huge flaws, she's damned near perfect, though, and so far out of my class that I can't believe she said yes to the first date, never mind the marriage question...but that's a topic for another day. :-))

My favorite all-time authors are Guy Gavriel Kay, Robin Hobb, Orson Scott Card, Lois McMaster Bujold, and Stephen R. Donaldson. (Apparently, I have a predilection towards authors that use a middle name or initial. I think I'm learning more about myself than you are!) I also have enjoyed Steven Brust, J.K. Rowling, Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind, George R. R. Martin, Raymond Feist, and David Farland's Runelord series.

Recently, I've been reading some of the authors mentioned frequently here - Brandon Sanderson (Elantris has singlehandedly restored my faith in the stand-alone book!), Maria V. Snyder, Neil Gaiman, and Steven Erikson to name a few. I'm also enthralled by the Dark Tower saga from Steven King, intrigued by Harry Dresden from Jim Butcher, and (for the people looking for fantasy romances) I enjoyed Sharon Shinn's Twelve Houses series.

Well, I suspect that's enough. If you made it this far, I'm extremely impressed...but then again, we ARE all readers. :)

Cheers,
--derek

message 284: by John (new)

John Beachem | 373 comments Welcome aboard, Derek. Look forward to chatting with you. Your intro said quite a bit about your reading habits, which is the most important thing around here ;-).

Thanks for the tip, Jeff. I'll add it to my "to read" list.

message 285: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 834 comments Welcome Jeff, Derek, and Amy....

ooo, Amy...looks like you're researching "Gandalfs"

message 286: by Robin (new)

Robin Wiley (ThursdayNext) | 29 comments Todd wrote: "I'm Todd. I live in Maryland.

I just got interested in sci-fi/fantasy in the last couple of years after reading lots of mysteries and thrillers. I still enjoy them, but after a while, they were ..."

Isn't Sanderson the guy finishing the Jordan series? I've been wanting to check him out. I completely LOVE Rothfuss and Lynch. How does Sanderson compare?

message 287: by Robin (new)

Robin Wiley (ThursdayNext) | 29 comments OK, here's where I'm at. I LOVED the following:

Martin - Song of Ice and Fire
Rothfuss - Name of the Wind
Lynch - Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas...
Keyes - Thorn and Bone Series (ALL of his, really)
Novik - Temeraire series
Gilman - Thunderer

Here's where I'm struggling -

Abercrombie's - The Blade Itself.

I think I made a mistake reading Locke Lamora first because Abercrombie can't match that kind of action and humor level. I'm reading Robin Hobb's first Soldier Son book. I'm doing OKAY with it. I think I really like it but I'm not wanting to shout my love from the rooftop (like with Locke), so I feel kinda bummed. It's a rebound book, but is really good and doesn't deserve to be a rebound book. Is anyone else having Locke Lamora Letdown Syndrome? Can you recommend any books with similar action, humor, inventive new worlds so I can get over my funk (Do not recommend Jordan, please)?

I will try Abercrombie again, later. I'm going to keep working on Hobb right now, and I want to try Erickson's Garden of the Moon. Hobb is more like Novik, and Erickson seems more like Martin. But I'm really jonesing for more Lynch.

message 288: by Elise (new)

Elise (ghostgurl) | 589 comments Robin wrote: "OK, here's where I'm at. I LOVED the following:

Keyes - Thorn and Bone Series (ALL of h..."

I'd recommend The Crown Conspiracy by Michael Sullivan for something like Lynch. We're also going to be discussing it next month, so good time to get it read. :)

message 289: by Robin (last edited Mar 27, 2009 10:53AM) (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 629 comments Woohoo - Always fun to come to a thread and seeing someone recommend The Crown Conspiracy - word of mouth is so important - Thanks Elise! I'm glad you liked it enough to tell others ;-)

message 290: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 6 comments Hello everyone!
I chimed in on the Welcome Wagon thread, but thought I probabably should introduce myself over here as well.

I'm Jennifer and I see there is another fantasy-holic here. (Hi Robert) Fantasy has been my favorite genre for some time. I tell people that I live in reality and therefore don't want to read about it. I cut my fantasy teeth on Weis/Hickman and still go back to Dragonlance novels periodically.

I enjoy many authors previously mentioned in numerous other posts so I won't bore you with a list (although I did list a few of my favs on the welcome wagon thread). I stumbled upon this group as I was wandering around GoodReads trying to see what else it had to offer (aside from trivia questions that I seem woefuly inept at answering).

I look forward to chatting more with everyone on various threads/discussions and I'm very excited to find others who enjoy this genre as I have a hard time finding others in my immediate vicinity who enjoy this type of literature.

message 291: by John (new)

John Beachem | 373 comments Welcome aboard, Jennifer. Looking forward to chatting with you :-).

message 292: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann (LeslieAnn) | 224 comments Hello to all the newcomers!

Amy, your thesis topic is terrific. You've got so many excellent examples of 'guides' to write about, from the quintessential Gandalf to Dumbledore and many others in between. Who knows--you may decide to turn your thesis into a book. I'd certainly be interested in reading it!

message 293: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 27, 2009 06:39PM) (new)

A big welcome to all the new members who have recently joined our group!

Am pleased to see Amy from the Sunshine Coast University join us as we both study at the same Uni. She was mentioned to me by a staff member who then invited her to our group. I known she received a Honours on a thesis she wrote on Good and Evil in Fantasy. So look forward to her postings and questions in our Book Club.

message 294: by Laini (new)

Laini Hi all! My name is Laini Taylor and I write fantasy for middle-grade and young adult readers (though sophisticated enough for adult crossover). My first book, Dreamdark: Blackbringer comes out in paperback in May, and I have two new books coming out in fall, so it's a very exciting year for me! (I'm also having a baby, minor detail :-) Favorite fantasy authors include adult and YA authors: Philip Pullman, Garth Nix, JK Rowling, PJ Lynch, Pat Rothfuss, Naomi Novik. Tolkien, of course.

I highly HIGHLY recommend D.M. Cornish's Monster Blood Tattoo series -- YA out of Australia but definitely great reading for adults. One of the most imaginative and wonderful fantasy worlds I've come across -- wish I'd thought of it myself!! Two books in the trilogy are out already, and the third is in the editor's hands, so hopefully won't be TOO long a wait.

I also just read The Steel Remains, the first fantasy title by [adult:] sci-fi writer Richard K. Morgan, and I thought it was fantastic. First in a trilogy. Some of the best action-scene writing I've read, combined with great character development and a fascinating world.

Cheers! I'm sure I'm forgetting lots of authors here. My mind goes blank.

message 295: by Jed (new)

Jed (specklebang) As a child, I was deeply scarred by reading the Hobbit. It was so utterly tedious (like the Dune series after book 1 and The Garden of the Moon and Name of the Wind all of which I despised). Then I met Locke Lamora and my life changed. Total masterpiece. Locke Lamora was one of my rare 5 star ratings for any book.

For the Locke Lamora experience,investigate this short, short list.

Richard K. Morgan - Altered Carbon (SF) and The Steel Remains (F). Both these books have sections that are beyond R rated but for sheer, breathless excitement....

Neal Asher - The Skinner & The Voyage of the Sable Keech (the 2 books of the Spatterjay series) as well as anything this guy writes (read his series in order or you'll get really confused). These are all SF rather than Fantasy but...

Max Barry - Jennifer Government (very funny as well)

Jack Chalker - Midnight at the Well of Souls

China Mieville - The Scar or Perdido Street Station (considered Steampunk)

William Gibson - Mona Lisa Overdrive (early Cyberpunk)

Rudy Rucker - Software, Wetware, Freeware because they will make you laugh as well.

Robin wrote: "OK, here's where I'm at. I LOVED the following:

Keyes - Thorn and Bone Series (ALL of h..."

message 296: by Roshio (last edited Mar 28, 2009 05:29PM) (new)

Roshio | 26 comments Hello, i joined good reads a few months ago but i only just found out you could join groups. so this is my first one and prob my favourite one. I'm a big fan of fantasy, mostly epics like george r.r. martin's a song of ice and fire however i dabble in urban fantasy as i am into good vampire books, mixed in with werewolves and anything else really, however no i am not into twilight. More of a laurell k. hamilton fan although that fire isnt burning as bright as it used to. I'm also a big richelle mead fan mostly for the Georgina Kincaid series. other fave authors include trudi canavan, terry goodkind, robert jordan, jacqueline carey. everytime i walk into a bookshop i hope to find a new series better than the last. so i'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone else is reading and what the recommend. i dont read just fantasy because sometimes it gets too much, when that happens i'll read anything from crime to your everyday chic lit (i'm a sucker for romance) but i stay grounded with some good non fiction. thats me really.

message 297: by Marc (new)

Marc (AuthorGuy) | 363 comments I would like to point out to new members that they can add the links to the books they recommend using the 'add book/author' button right above the comment box. Not necessary for the very-often-referenced books, but for the little-known titles it can be really helpful.

message 298: by Geediez (new)

Geediez Hey there, I’m Zbyszek (bet you can’t spell that) and I live in Toruń, Poland. I’m 27 at the moment and work as a IT specialist (a lot of it-guys here, have you noticed?)
I like to think of myself as a mature fantasy lover, however that may sound. What I mean is that prefer more complex and dark, even brutal books like Erikson or Bakker, than a simple fairytales where everything shines with happiness. I think I’ve read quite a lot of those books in the past, and although I try myself in some other literature nowadays as well, fantasy still remains my true and only love.
I do realize that I have lacks in classics – I haven’t read any of Eddings, Jordan, Zelazny, McCaffrey, Lackey, Bujold or Silverberg and only passed through the first parts of Erikson, Asimov and Herbert. It’s not that I didn’t like them, because I did, but there’s always something “new and great“ getting published and I just have to buy it, to be able to discuss it with others. This way there’s no time for me to read the classics which is pretty frustrating.
From what I’ve read I have to say that my absolutely favorites are:
Tolkien (of course) , U. K le Guin – two authors that I grew up on, and then went on to read:
Jack L. Chalker – “The Wheel of Souls” - which was good for a 12-year-old, but then I wanted something more… mature, so I’ve decided to read:
Glen Cook – “The Black Company” series, which left me quite stunned and after which people told me to read:
G.R.R. Martin – which was insanely and beautifully unpredictable, leaving me with going for the Erikson or:
R. Scott Bakker – of which I think of as a most underestimated fantasy writer of, like… all times

I’ve tried with couple others – E. Haydon, E. Moon (some liked, some not), N. Gaiman, G.G. Kay. And with the new stars: B. Sanderson (so sweet that it made me puke), J. Scalzi or P. Rothfuss, S. Lynch (it’s not that funny at all) but didn’t like them that much. There are couple of authors that I watch out for. They go by the name of Joe Abercrombie and Jeff VanderMeer. I’ve read “The blade itself” and await the second part of the series to get translated into Polish which seems to take forever.
I hope I’ll find some good friends here, those that will point me some good new authors that weren’t publish in Poland yet. And maybe I’ll try myself at reading the original instead of waiting for the Polish publishers to pick books for me. I probably make a lot of mistakes in English but it’s been years since I’ve learned it, so please point out any mistakes that you’ll happen to find in my posts.

p.s. I’m just reading all your posts in this topic. God, there are so many authors that you like, that I’ve never heard of... I blame the Iron Curtain.

message 299: by John (new)

John Beachem | 373 comments Welcome aboard, Geediez. I hope we can point you toward some more great authors. It sounds like you've got a pretty good foundation. If you liked Chalker's "The Wheel of Souls", have you tried his "The Four Lords of the Diamond" series? It's sci-fi more than fantasy, but you might enjoy it.

message 300: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 834 comments Welcome to the newest wave of additions......

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Wrinkle in Time (other topics)
The Hobbit (other topics)
The Lord of the Rings (other topics)
Robinson Crusoe (other topics)
The Amorous Umbrella (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

R. Scott Bakker (other topics)
Jack Vance (other topics)
Jacqueline Carey (other topics)