Basically Books! discussion

Ultraviolet (Ultraviolet, #1)
This topic is about Ultraviolet
Former Group Reads > Ultraviolet (Ultraviolet #1) by R.J. Anderson (February 2012 Group Read)

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥)  Bell (tjchocolate) | 1626 comments Mod
GoodReads Description

Once upon a time there was a girl who was special.

This is not her story.

Unless you count the part where I killed her.

Sixteen-year-old Alison has been sectioned in a mental institute for teens, having murdered the most perfect and popular girl at school. But the case is a mystery: no body has been found, and Alison's condition is proving difficult to diagnose. Alison herself can't explain what happened: one minute she was fighting with Tori -- the next she disintegrated. Into nothing. But that's impossible. Right?

Feel free to talk about the whole book but please use the spoiler brackets where necessary.
< spoiler > write your message here < / spoiler >
(without spaces)

M.G. Wells (goodreadscomMGWells) | 19 comments I've read this book as well and will share more later. PS: It's a very interesting book.

M.G. wrote: "I've read this book as well and will share more later. PS: It's a very interesting book."

Ohh i can agree on that :) i loved it

M.G. Wells (goodreadscomMGWells) | 19 comments Me too and NO SPOILERS until later :0)

IF do go to spoil just use the html code which hides it.

message 6: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
This may come as a surprise *cough*... but I've got this upstairs. ;) Haha.

Roger (RogerG) | 9 comments It does sound interesting. Something my older girl would probably like.

DJ  (DJCummings) I already read too and it's very interesting.

Renee | 8 comments I marked this one to read as well. I hope I can get through it.

Kevin  (KevinJ) | 10 comments This sounds creepy. Did they make a movie out of it yet??

I do not think so, i feel if there was i would of saw it. hehe :D

message 12: by Rea, Ghost (new)

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
Tara! Would have seen! :p

The book was only released in 2011. I'm not sure whether the film rights have been acquired by anyone but I don't think there's a film in the works.

There was a film called Ultraviolet released a few years ago. But that was based on another book: Ultraviolet by Yvonne Navarro

Sorry Rea. :P

Demi (DemiM) Synopsis is very interesting.

Renee | 8 comments Just got Ultraviolet and so looking forward to it. The first chapter is mesmerizing.

As soon as you have read please tell me your thoughts :)

RedMum | 14 comments I'm am reading this book because I cannot sleep well. It's kind of confusing. I think I will have to start over.

Sue (jimsueh) | 7 comments I'm towards the end. It's turning into something I didn't quite expect. The whole feel of the book has changed and I definately don't like it as much.

Thats sad to hear :( I liked the whole book.

Foxfire | 12 comments Ultraviolet is a well written and story about a girl called Alison who has a strange mental disorder called synethesia. This is a weird disorder and one I'm glad I don't have. The story started out really interesting in the first part. It's written in three parts and felt like three separate stories to me. There were many twists and turns, yet I felt the book was often confusing to follow. Regardless, it is one of the most unusual books I've ever read and hope the author does a follow up.

Sue (jimsueh) | 7 comments Having now finished the book I have to agree with Foxfire. It was well written, and I enjoyed the first 1/2- 3/4. I liked reading about the different relationships she had with the people in the hospital and with her parents, and of course learning more about synethesia. Its when she left the hospital and the book took a turn towards the paranormal that it lost me. This may be more about me and the types of books I like to read (Almost NEVER science fiction/paranormal), I just couldn't relate to the characters at that point and what was going on in the story. I felt like it all wrapped up pretty quickly, and at that point I was kind of happy about it!

RedMum | 14 comments This was a confusing book for me. I enjoyed the writer's words, I just did not like the way the story was put together. I realize the main character has a rare mental condition, which is something I could not relate to due to her strange manner of perceiving life.

Its sad to see this book getting 3 stars, where i rated it 5.. but i do realise why you all thought this. I am an easy reader to impress so that is why most of my books or either 4 or 4 stars.

I'm glad that people are honest :)

message 24: by Marie (last edited Feb 21, 2012 11:38AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Marie (mmariem) mmm...not sure...the book seems to be playing to every stereotype imaginable. Controlling Psychiatrist who does not understand his patients, uncaring nurses. Folks held against their will in psychiatric hospitals ....still have around 1/3 to read so will wait 'till I have finished before I say any more.

The third section of the book was not enjoyable I had to force myself to read it (I don't like leaving books unfinished). It seemed like the author had run out of ideas....poor finish.

Also synaesthesia is NOT a mental health problem , it is a disorder of the senses - 1/25 people have synaesthesia. For most it will be a mild mixing of the senses - few have serious problems with synaesthesia and many use the disorder to their advantage ..lots of great musicians are synaesthetic ..Mozart/Billy Joel/Duke Ellington/Steve Wonder and so was Marylin Munroe.

Pigletto The author doesn't say it is a mental health problem but as Alison doesn't talk to anyone about how she perceives the world (except Faraday) everyone else thinks she is suffering from hallucinations. I think the psychiatrist would have picked up on it if she hadn't hidden so much from him.

I don't think we saw the hospital or the other characters in their true light. Instead we get Alison's opinion which is biased. She doesn't like the doctor for keeping her there so she sees everything he does being against her and that he is only looking out for himself.

I wasn't keen on the ending as it felt rushed and out of place. It confused me as I can't understand why the author needed to cover that bit so quickly and wrap everything up if this is going to be a series.

Demi (DemiM) Marie wrote: "mmm...not sure...the book seems to be playing to every stereotype imaginable. Controlling Psychiatrist who does not understand his patients, uncaring nurses. Folks held against their will in psychi..."

Thanks for the post. I don't know much about synesthisa? Sounds like a chemical brain imbalance...almost like one suffering from it is on a permanent acid trip.

Marie (mmariem) Demi wrote: "Marie wrote: "mmm...not sure...the book seems to be playing to every stereotype imaginable. Controlling Psychiatrist who does not understand his patients, uncaring nurses. Folks held against their ..."

Synaesthesia is not a chemical imbalance - it's not a mental health problem...this is one of my reasons for rating the book as I did. Although the book never says synaesthesia is a mental health problem , the way the story unfolds it can be read as if it is . Several people have alluded to synaesthesia as a mental health problem in these posts.

Synaesthesia is a problem with the senses - not the brain. I think authors need to take care when dealing with their subject matter - they need to research adequately. Sorry to go on , but I feel very strongly about misinformation being given out -as you probably guessed! There are lots of people with synaesthesia all around you!!!!!!!!

Pigletto It would have been good if she had written more about it in her note at the end.

Another issue is that she gives Alison pretty much every type of synaesthesia there is. It makes it look much more confusing and overwhelming than it is.

M.G. Wells (goodreadscomMGWells) | 19 comments I really enjoyed this book. It was beautifully written, highly original and I felt much compassion for Alison. At times, it is extremely confusing to follow. I do hope to see RJ's next book. Such a fantastic storyteller.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ultraviolet (other topics)