Goodreads Feedback discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Announcements > Goodreads 2.0 preview

Comments (showing 1-50 of 53) (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Michael, Problems Architect (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) | 1978 comments Mod
zomg otis this new redesign is awesome!

message 2: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (danielt) | 10 comments It's a very attractive redesign, Otis. It keeps the uncluttered, elegant look GoodReads already had, while adding some nice improvements. I especially like the pull-down menus for "explore" and profile and account information. Good job.

message 3: by Michael, Problems Architect (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) | 1978 comments Mod
no half stars yet :(

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 4592 comments It is pretty... Although, I don't think there's anything wrong with the current site. *shrug*

Heres my feedback:
The wider site does seem to make it easier to fit everything in, and makes the site look much cleaner without having to change too much of the lay-out.
I like the bookshelves in a column on the "My books" page. I also like the new profile page set-up, and the group page.

However, I don't particularly like seeing the "friends of friends" screen when logging in. I much prefer seeing my "home" page when I open the site. Although, if this is only going to show up directly after we sign in, I won't worry about it because I never actually log out.

I kind-of like the idea of having the explore area previews on the recent review page, but, it feels like a heck of a lot of scrolling to get to the actual reviews. I would prefer to have the preview areas either much smaller or at the bottom of the page, or included in the explore drop-down.

And finally, I'm sure that this is being worked on, but just in case, I'll mention it. The little bubbles that pop-up when hovering over a book in the preview area of the explore page only show up correctly for the bottom row of books. The bubble for the top row appears behind the bottom row books.

So, theres my two cents. Do with it what you will! :)

message 5: by Dottie (last edited Nov 21, 2008 06:59PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 336 comments On the "my books" page, I do like the column of shelves but then my books show up way down at the bottom of that column -- all the space to the right of the column of shelves is just nice white wasted space -- I don't think that's supposed to happen.

And the little drop down from my user name disappears and won't let me click on my profile -- I can get the cursor over "my account" but haven't clicked to see if it actually takes me there. When I try to go on down to "my profile" the box snaps closed.

message 6: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 (isisfg) | 521 comments I really like the wider layout...I've got a widescreen monitor which with the current site layout leaves a lot of empty, wasted space. So this makes much better utilization of space.

message 7: by new_user (new)

new_user | 447 comments Hm, not bad. I thought the fonts were changing too, no?

message 8: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 336 comments Wait a minute -- if I click my name it goes to the profile so what's the my profile in the drop down supposed to do?

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8516 comments Dottie, We've had 3 places to click to get to our profile as it is. On top, in the box on our icon or on profile. I assume there's more than one choice with the new design too?

Otis,

I like the look, although as others have said I like the current look too.

I do really miss the recent updates when I click explore. Are they still at some link I am not seeing?

It does look really nice. I was afraid of the widescreen because I don't want to have to scroll from left to right the way I do from up to down but, at least with the preview, I don't have to do that.

When will it be up, do you think?

Will we have to sign out and back in to get the new design when it's up?

Thanks for all the work!

message 10: by Becky (last edited Nov 21, 2008 07:42PM) (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 4592 comments Lisa, the recent reviews are still there, they are just below all of the previews.

message 11: by Lisa (last edited Nov 21, 2008 07:44PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8516 comments Becky, Thanks! Apparently, I didn't even want to scroll down. ;-) I see them.

Otis, It looks good!

message 12: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 336 comments Otis, do you think both the shelves loading at the bottom of the column of shelves on the my books page and the non-functioning profile link in the drop-down are related to IE?

message 13: by Ubik (new)

Ubik | 53 comments Yeah Ive got the same problem Dottie has just so you know there are more than one of us out there with the disappearing drop box problem. And yes, Im using IE.

message 14: by Ubik (last edited Nov 21, 2008 08:40PM) (new)

Ubik | 53 comments Whoa, I dont like the author and book page layouts at all. The author pages are "stacked" vertically. It looked way better before.

And I liked the rating information where it was. THe book information bubbles should only be for factual information and not for anything so subjective as ratings...

Although I do like the fact that the other editions are now higher than they were before.

message 15: by Becky (last edited Nov 21, 2008 09:17PM) (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 4592 comments Is it just me, or are there are a lot less reviews on the new recent review page as well? I think that there used to be 50, but now it seems that there are only 10.

I definitely like more reviews there, since there is no option to "rewind" and see reviews that have been pushed off the page.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8516 comments There is a more link. But I do miss having more reviews just show.

message 17: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 4592 comments So there is... Thanks Lisa!

I second that wish for just having the reviews show right on the initial page, though. Maybe I am being nit-picky, but it seems like a lot more work to see recent reviews... =(

message 18: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 2037 comments I like the bookshelves on the left side of "my books", but I have long names for bookshelves, so they intersect with the main text. And I used underscores in the names, so they don't naturally wrap. Love to see that column wider.

If it matters, my screen resolution is 1152x864.

My longest shelf looks like it is 35 chars:

__1001_books_to_read_before_you_die

The bookshelves on my profile page also squish together, but they look fine on the "home" page.

Also, under "I'm Currently Reading" one of my books is indented for no reason I can see.

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8516 comments Otis, What I love best and really appreciate is that on my profile page, my bookshelves and the number of books on each show without being cut off. That I love. Thanks.

message 20: by Kisholi (new)

Kisholi | 4 comments I sort of like the new layout, especially with the shelves on the left because man, I have a lot of shelves and this makes things a little easier to find. I also like the new author/book pages, especially the book page, where there is, IMHO, a significant improvement via the tighter stacking.

One minor niggle is that I feel the "inbox" link should be swapped with the "hi whoever" link. I don't know what the majority opinion will be, but I almost never use inbox but need to click through to my profile quite often.

message 21: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 427 comments For the most part, I like the new book page layout.

I'm trying to find the book data part that used to be in the upper right hand corner where the editions is now.

It was convenient to see, quickly and at a glance, what the average rating was, how many ratings there were and the link to the bar graph of ratings.

message 22: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 427 comments Scratch that. I see that you moved it to the first line of the book information box. My mistake. :)

message 23: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleym) | 47 comments I think it looks great! I especially love that the bookshelves are on the left of the "my books" page, it makes things seem a lot less cluttered and easier to view.

message 24: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 1928 comments I also like this new look, but I'm with mlady_rebecca in having a layout problem with long shelf names -- and I'm not the only one, since most of my friends use long descriptive names as well. (I use + instead of _ for spaces so they wrap, but it doesn't look nice at all.)

message 25: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 1928 comments The grey boxes used all over the site have been replaced with a cool brown header.

I still see them on the "combine editions" page.

message 26: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5402 comments I like the look but I prefer the current look - I like the shadow bar - kind of classy. I also prefer the font on the current site but I like the absence of tabs on the new one. I like the reversal of the bar of books at the top on the new site but to me it looks a bit squashed and could do with just a little extra white space between the tallest books and what is inevitably the cluttered bar of the browser.

I like the idea of the best books - but not the actuality. Yet more Twilight.... Also I did wonder how the Book of Mormon was your choice for second best book ever. Really it is? What about a newly-released or first-time-on-the-popularity-charts section so that we could see new books and not have the charts dominated by the same old same old that will inevitably appear month after month.

Maybe you could feature the newest, best or some other criteria of Goodreads' authors' books?

Since I am on Goodreads for its content and interaction I don't really mind how the site looks - it works brilliantly and that is the main thing.

message 27: by Christina (new)

Christina | 74 comments I really like the new layout - especially the My Books section with the shelves on the left.
I agree with Kisholi that the inbox link and the hi me link should be swapped but otherwise I think the new layout is a bit more user friendly and has made goodreads even easier to use :-)

message 28: by S.G (new)

S.G | 18 comments Anything for us "non-readers" = audiobook fans? Like rating for the production? Narration?? Maybe a slot for the running time?

Or is that all for 3.0?

message 29: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 2037 comments Otis,

Unfortunately, instead of wrapping, the long shelf names are now truncating.

Screenshot.

I'm using Firefox, not IE, if that makes a difference.

message 30: by Maria (new)

Maria Elmvang (Kiwiria) | 375 comments I'm unfortunately not a fan of having the shelves on the left side of "My books". I have a lot of shelves, and I liked being able to see them all at a glance, instead of having to scroll. A small thing, I know, and one I could easily live with, but thought I'd just voice my thoughts.

On the other hand I really don't like the layout on the author page. There's a lot of wasted white space, which is completely unnecessary.

Other than those two items, I like it :)

message 31: by Ubik (new)

Ubik | 53 comments Otis, it looks like Kiwiria is having the same issue that I am. I know how to take a screenshot, but I dont currently have word or know of any way of showing you what I (we) see. The "author profile" bubble will appear where it should be (used to be) for a split second, then jump down underneath the advertisement. So it goes: pic, spamstuff, author profile bubble, and finally "books by" all stacked vertically and there is over 50% of white space to the right of that.

JG (The Introverted Reader) | 541 comments I haven't played with it yet, but here's the most important question (for addicted GR fans, anyway)--can we expect some major downtime while this is being implemented? :-)

JG (The Introverted Reader) | 541 comments I really like that the links stand out more in the redesign. We were always missing cool new features by not noticing the link!

I like that I can remove books from my update feed if I accidentally post them there. Has that always been an option that I missed?

This might be something that's better brought up in the to-do list, but I'll mention it here. On the main "explore" page, it starts with listopia and popular shelves, and then goes down to giveaways and most-read books, etc. I would like a different order to that. Would it be possible to let us customize that page? It's not a huge deal, but it would be pretty cool. My page on the msn home page lets me choose what headlines I want and what order I want them to appear in. That would be really awesome on the explore page.

I like the way the "my books" page looks now. It's much neater (to me anyway) to have my shelves listed down the side. A much better use of space.

I like the book page too. I had to look for the average ratings, but once I found it, the layout made sense. I like that the other editions show at the top too.

I'm not crazy about the author page. I'm seeing a picture of the author, some google ads, then the bio and all the "normal" stuff below it. I liked the old layout better. Or is this the bug that Ubik mentioned?

When I hover over "hi JG" and then try to click on "my account", the box disappears before I can click on it. Is this intentional in the preview or a bug?

Mostly I'm thrilled with it! This was already a great site, but this new redesign looks a little cleaner, a little more user-friendly, and a little more "grown-up." Thanks, as always, GR team!

JG (The Introverted Reader) | 541 comments I just sent a screenshot of the author page I'm seeing. It does sound like the same thing Ubik is describing.

message 35: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 11777 comments Mod
I like the way the "my books" page looks now. It's much neater (to me anyway) to have my shelves listed down the side. A much better use of space.

I like the book page too. I had to look for the average ratings, but once I found it, the layout made sense. I like that the other editions show at the top too.

Agreed.

When I hover over "hi JG" and then try to click on "my account", the box disappears before I can click on it. Is this intentional in the preview or a bug?

A bug -- I'm not having that problem at all.

This was already a great site, but this new redesign looks a little cleaner, a little more user-friendly, and a little more "grown-up."

Also agreed. :)

I sent in screenshots too, of a weird thing that was happening for me on the front page (but only in FF, not IE).

message 36: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 4592 comments "I like that I can remove books from my update feed if I accidentally post them there. Has that always been an option that I missed?"

Yep... There's an X in every update, so you can remove whatever you want from your update feed.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 947 comments I'm not crazy about the author page. I'm seeing a picture of the author, some google ads, then the bio and all the "normal" stuff below it. I liked the old layout better. Or is this the bug that Ubik mentioned?

I assume this must be a bug that only some people are seeing. I'm looking at a bio page on both the new and old website, side by side, and they are almost identical in content layout. In fact, the new page has less white space than the old page.

That was under Firefox. I then viewed both pages in IE and found the difference. IE isn't stacking the DIV's correctly under the new layout (a fairly common problem/discrepancy between IE and Firefox).

message 38: by Liz M (last edited Nov 23, 2008 09:53AM) (new)

Liz M | 172 comments Ooooh, pretty new looks for many pages. Overall, I love the new look, especially the removal of the gray frames on most pages. Like others, I love the "my books" page with the shelves on the left. Yes, the scrolling is a bit of a pain, but it's so much easier to scan down a list for a particular shelf than across a line with the vertical dividers & parenthesis.

Groups page:
I miss the gray bars for the folder headers. It's a little more difficult to see where one ends & the next begins. Can we have an option to collapse a folder & just see the title so it's easier to find the threads we want to follow? Or since there seems to be plenty of space to the right, indent the topics a little further?

Book Page:
"Discuss this book" no longer shows the group name with the topic. I liked knowing which group was discussing a book at first glance. It seems weird to see two or more "what are you reading" topics under a book with no differentiation.

My profile:
The bookshelves appear to be listed first by the three default shelves, then in order of the number of books on a shelf. This makes no sense for my shelves, many of which are for century/decade published or for the booklist divided into two shelves (fiction & non) which I would like to be listed next to each other. Can we please please please either have them alphabetical or be allowed to choose our own order?

My Books page:
Print view is not displaying correctly (browsing with Firefox)--the list of books is showing up at the bottom, under the shelves list (will send screen shot as soon as I can find the email address to send it to....).

message 39: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 4592 comments Liz, as far as I can recall, the shelves on the profile page have always been in order by the number of books on each shelf.
I just compared my profiles on the "old" and "new" site, and they are in exactly the same order.

Although, I agree with you. I would LOVE the ability to sort them as I want.

message 40: by Liz M (last edited Nov 23, 2008 11:27AM) (new)

Liz M | 172 comments Edit: see post #50, this post is irrelevant (but left here to preserve the discussion).

On the old site the my profile page lists my shelves in the following order (reading across):
all (1789) | read (793) | currently-reading (3) | to-read (819) | failed-to-read (32) | might-not-read (142) | --to-read-bookclubs (13) | 1001 (354) | 1700-or-earlier (99) | 1701-1800 (35) | 1801-1900 (116) | 1901-1910 (38) | 1911-1920 (31)

The new my profile page lists (reading down):
read (793)
currently-reading (3)
to-read (819)
own (542)
500-women-all (508)
1001 (354)
1981-1990 (243)
1991-2000 (234)
lifetime (231)
theater (192)
might-not-read (142)

But you're right, the alphabetical order appears to have only applied when viewing my own profile. For everyone else, it is (and was) in order by the number of books on a shelf. I never noticed that before.

message 41: by Alias Reader (new)

Alias Reader (AliasReader) | 182 comments I see the font size as 10, which I think is hard on the eyes. Couldn't we have a 12 or 14 option?

message 42: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 4592 comments Liz, just to clarify, are you looking at your profile page, or your book page?

Your "my books" page should list your exclusive shelves first (Read, To Read, and Currently Reading) and then list non-exclusive shelves in alphabetical order going across.

Your profile page lists them in number of books order, going down.

message 43: by Liz M (last edited Nov 23, 2008 11:30AM) (new)

Liz M | 172 comments Darn heck. Too many windows open. *blush* I was comparing the "my books" page on GR 1.0 with the "my profile" page on GR 2.0.

Sorry for the confusion I've created.

message 44: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 4592 comments Happens to us all!

message 45: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Generally, I like the new design, but I don't like having my shelves to the left of my books. It feels wrong--like they're demanding my attention when I really want to look at the books. To the right would be okay.

message 46: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 1928 comments The more I look at it, the more I dislike having the shelves listed vertically -- when you have long shelf names, it's impossible to distinguish the start and end of each shelf. Perhaps there could be more of a break between each shelf, or perhaps an indent at the beginning of each line?

(You can take a look at my shelves in preview if you want to see my typical shelf name lengths -- almost half of them wrap at least one line!)

message 47: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

You can tell if you mouse over them -- an entire shelf will be highlighted at once. I agree that it's somewhat awkward with long shelf titles, though.

I still like it better than horizontally.

message 48: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 2037 comments Cait, I'm having the same truncation issues, but I still like how much easier it is to find the bookshelves with them listed vertically. I'm hoping they'll widen the bookshelf column but, worst case scenario, I'm willing to start renaming shelves to shorten them.

Here is my preview, if you want another example.

message 49: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

It would be great if the width of the various components were customizable -- if we could drag the lines to change the relative sizes of the shelves, for example.

message 50: by Brenda (b) (new)

Brenda (b) (Brenda_b) | 189 comments On the individual book's page, I love having the other editions list at the top instead of having to scroll down to it. To me, it fits that it should be nearer with the book info rather than the reviews.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread