Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

Nook - The Technical Side > Don't ever buy a new charger.

Comments (showing 1-50 of 108) (108 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Meg ♥ (last edited Feb 04, 2012 08:32AM) (new)

Meg ♥ (n00kl0v3r) | 25 comments This topic has me a little annoyed, but slightly happy as well. I have had to buy 3 new charger cords for my Nook, and trust me when I say I'm careful with it. My grandma also has had to buy 2 in a year. They just are poorly made and bad quality. Finally, it seems Nook has realized this and they told me on the phone that they are replacing any cords for free if you call them. No matter if your 1 year warranty is expired or not. So call them, don't buy another faulty Nook Charger. Hope this helps anyone save some money and frustration.

For those who wanted to know the problems click below for reviews of many other users who have complained about the chargers.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the tip. =)

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) Yes!

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan | 23 comments Wow. I didn't realize there was a problem with them.
Thanks.

message 5: by Matt (new)

Matt (patches_mcmatt) Care to elaborate some more on the problems with the charging cable? I've had my Nook now for about 7 months and have not noticed any problems with my cable.

message 6: by willaful, dedicated nookworm (new)

willaful | 411 comments Mod
They're also ridiculously expensive for what's essentially a standard charger that you can buy cheaply elsewhere.

message 7: by Nina (new)

Nina (MarshNina) | 60 comments I have not had any problems with the charger. What is happening?

message 8: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments I have had between all my Nooks for some more than a year...what seems to be the problem with yours? I have yet to have a problem. Also my Nook charger is out in the living room in case my mom is in there and wants to charge hers. I have never had a problem.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (lboyd5900attnet) | 355 comments I have had my 1st generation Nook for over a year and have not had any issues with the charger. I wonder If I should get an additional one for a backup. As with everyone else, I will be interested in hearing what issues you are having.....

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) I never had any problems with mine, either. I'm curious - which Nook was it?

But I'm glad to know they replace it!

message 11: by Dorota (new)

Dorota (readinggirl91) | 8 comments I've had my Nook color for over a year now and I've never had any problems with the charger, but I'm glad to know that if I do I don't have to pay for a new one. Thanks for sharing.

message 12: by Anne (Booklady) (last edited Jan 16, 2012 07:51PM) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 12 comments I have had to replace my UBS cord (charger cord). It just stopped working. It was really weak and bent, so I moved my plug to the bedroom away from the cats. So far, so good.

message 13: by JK (new)

JK (eimajtl) My charger didn't really work initially when I got it - the wall part of it at least. I never bothered with one of their chargers since the Nook has the standard mini USB slot. I use either my phone charger for it or a Duracell charger that I have.

message 14: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah Crain | 85 comments I have a friend who has a nook color and his charger just up and quit a few weeks before Christmas. He didn't even think it was the charger but it was, and they just handed him a new one at the BandN customer service counter. His system works like a charm again. Strange how it went out so suddenly, but glad they resolved the situation easily.

message 15: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (ChristineUS) | 18 comments My LG phone charger fits the Nook, so I have used the charger for the 2 items interchangably. I didn't have a problem with my Nook charger, but I have the first generation Nook -- can't speak towards Nook color

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee (pianoteacher) | 1 comments My dogs knocked my Nook Color onto the floor about 10 days ago (no injury to the Nook--floor has carpet, and it only fell about 2 ft.). The part of the USB cord that goes into the Nook bent a bit. I was horrified, but, as I live a distance from any Barnes and Noble store, I tried bending it back. It went right back, and I haven't had any problems (knock on wood). I am keeping my eye on it, but everything seems to be okay. It is nice to know that B&N will replace the cord for free.

message 17: by Vera (new)

Vera (verareads) | 2 comments I've had my Nook Color for a little over a year, and I've had 3 cords. My original cord never charged very well, and finally quit working at all, so I got a new one, which worked, but very slowly. It would charge but it would take hours. I got another one, which is what I'm still using, which charges much quicker than either of the first 2. I never thought about contacting B & N, but now I know. If I have any more problems I will let them know.

message 18: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Thorn (farmaciajt) | 2 comments I am on my 2nd one too! Yep don't ever buy one yourself!

message 19: by Diane (new)

Diane (Dyniy) | 9 comments I've had my Nook Color for about a year & I'm on my 4th. My 1st one broke in less than a week. I am not a child by any means so I know how to take care of my things. I've seen so many complaints about these I can't believe they haven't taken care of it long ago. Do they think that Kindle is not a threat? Thanks for the heads up Meg, I'll definately give them a call.

message 20: by Glenna (new)

Glenna | 2 comments I've had mine just over a year and I just broke my second one, I was trying to be soo careful. The plug bends just where the metal meets the plastic. Thats what I get for trying to read while it charges. Thanks so much for the advice!

message 21: by Katya (new)

Katya | 22 comments I quickly realized that my cell phone has the exact same chord as the Nook and I was able to pick up an extra one for about a dollar on ebay. (cell phone chord that is) and it works fine with both Nook 1st G and Nook simple touch.

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy (AmyJSmith) | 3 comments I thought it could damage the Nook to use a non-nook charger with it? It tells you specifically in the directions to only use the charger it came with.

message 23: by JK (new)

JK (eimajtl) Any instruction manual for electronics with a charging cable will tell you that, they want you to stick with their overpriced accessories.

message 24: by Meg ♥ (new)

Meg ♥ (n00kl0v3r) | 25 comments Matt wrote: "Care to elaborate some more on the problems with the charging cable? I've had my Nook now for about 7 months and have not noticed any problems with my cable."

I've had 3 that simply fell apart at the top. The part that plugs into the Nook has also bent and broke off, and like I said I don't misuse mine and if B&N is handing them out for free they know about the problem. I'm glad I'm not the only one here and I'm glad I can help ensure nobody else wastes money on them like I have.

Look at the bottom of this page for the reviews. Many other customers have stated better what happens

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-...

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow! I am really surprised. I have 2 Nooks and 2 chargers. One for over 2 years and 2 over a year. Neither have EVER given me a problem and I do not use extra care with them.

message 26: by Nina (new)

Nina (MarshNina) | 60 comments I've had my Nook since the first of July and have had no problems.

message 27: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) Me, either. Never had a problem with any of my chargers.

message 28: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read (SherriH95) I've had 2 Nooks and never had a problem with the chargers on either.

message 29: by Karen (new)

Karen | 3 comments My charger also went dead a few days before Christmas after owning it for about 6 months. I bought a car charger and now use that cord for my wall outlet as well. I don't think this cord will last very long either, since it came out of the box even more badly bent from being wrapped around itself too tight. I've heard this has been happening to alot of people. Thanks for the info!

message 30: by Maritza (new)

Maritza | 50 comments Ive had all the nooks so far....i did have a problem with my nook color charger. Always having to jiggle it so it would charge. sometimes the slightest vibration would make it stop charging. I have heard alot of folks complain about the nook color charger for various reasons. mostly that it stops charging.Some have complained of it getting extremely hot. I never had the problem with the 1st generation nook and havent had any with the tablet charger. I think its the nook color charger that gives the most problems.If you havent had a problem then you got a good one. BN will replace the charger with no problem.

message 31: by RaRa (new)

RaRa | 2 comments My charger works fine, but my nook color doesn't seem to hold a charge. I charged it last night and spent a good portion of today reading, and the battery went down to nothing. I know I didn't read 9 straight hours. I can't see where a new battery would go, so I dont know what to do. I just got this Nook Color for Christmas.

message 32: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) Robin wrote: "My charger works fine, but my nook color doesn't seem to hold a charge. I charged it last night and spent a good portion of today reading, and the battery went down to nothing. I know I didn't re..."

I think you should call their tech support, or go to your local BN store.

message 33: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (JamBurr) | 10 comments I replaced 2as well and they still suck! i had to through a fit and they finally sent me a new nook color! and it was a huge fight! the problem was not the chager it is inside the female portion of the nook. when u plug in the male adapter it is breaking inside the nook. but they sent me a new nc and its fantastic!

message 34: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 221 comments i got my Nook Color in October and have nothing but trouble with the cord when trying to connect it to the computer. I took it to a B&N store and of course it connected fine, but the guy told me that when it happens next to call the help line while it's happening. After reading these posts I think I'll call and ask for a new cord.

message 35: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1 comments I've had my first gen nook for about two years now and I've gone through three cables, two of which were replacement cables. I just got off with customer service and they refuse to replace the cable as I am outside of my warrant. Needless to say I'm supper frustrated and annoyed. Who did you talk to? lol maybe they'll replace their awful product.

message 36: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 28 comments I have had to replace my nook color charger twice, the cord at the nook end frayed and BnN replaced it for free. 2nd time it was the wall part that just stopped working.

message 37: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethlil) | 4 comments I too replaced the charger after a year and have not had any problems since and I keep plugging and charging all the time. I just figured I'd worn the first one out

message 38: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine (JJElizalde) | 142 comments I've had my Nook since November with no problems. I was surprised yesterday when I discovered that my new phone uses the same charger. I guess I now have a spare.

message 39: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read (SherriH95) I'm betting Jeanine that it won't charge your Nook, if you have a Color or a Tablet.

message 40: by Lonnie (new)

Lonnie Jeanine wrote: "I've had my Nook since November with no problems. I was surprised yesterday when I discovered that my new phone uses the same charger. I guess I now have a spare."

My Nook classic, Android Smartphone and my wife's Blackberry all us the same type of miniUSB charger cable. Comes in handy to have cords all over the house.

message 41: by Sue (new)

Sue Morris Robin wrote: "My charger works fine, but my nook color doesn't seem to hold a charge. I charged it last night and spent a good portion of today reading, and the battery went down to nothing. I know I didn't re..."
The charge last longer if you turn the wireless off, when not using it...hope this helps

message 42: by Autumn (new)

Autumn Higgins (the_memorykeeper) | 5 comments I have a gen1 Nook and I have had it a little over a year and the only issue I have had with the charger is how loose the connector is and it falls out if I don't put it in the right way. Good to know I can get a new one though! My cell charger, charges it too though!

message 43: by Richard (new)

Richard | 22 comments I never had problems with my charger. Guess I'm lucky.

message 44: by Madilynn (new)

Madilynn Ive had three nooks and no problem with the charger

message 45: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 1 comments I am getting ready to request my 2nd replacement in as many years for my nook color. Good to know they are still replacing for free.

message 46: by Peggy (last edited Aug 27, 2012 03:27PM) (new)

Peggy Coffey (megthered) | 7 comments I have a Nook color (that I have had for about 1 1/2 years) and now when I hook up with usb to the computer it starts decharging. I asked BN about it and no one had ever heard of that happening. I have 3 cords and chargers and have found that the only one that actually charges the Nook is the original, the one that came with the Nook. The others discharge. I don't know what is happening.

message 47: by Ava (new)

Ava Wells | 3 comments I'll be glad to tell you the problem.
I have had to buy two new charging cables, and, the newest one is acting up.
After finding out the B&N will replace them, I won't buy another one.
Also, the one that came with the Nook broke.
It does some crazy things. It either won't charge at all, or it charges some. It also will come on by itself while charging. In the middle of the night, the light is a bit bright, when you are expecting it to be offl
They must be extremely flemsy.
I love my Nook.
I do know something which might help. If the charging portal was on top, instead of the bottom, it wouldn't get bent so easily. I rest mine on my abdomen when in use, and I am sure it probably, over time, isn't good for it.
On the last cord, I took tooth picks and tape and splinted the cable so it wouldn't get bent. Broke just as fast as the other two.

message 48: by Ava (new)

Ava Wells | 3 comments Linda wrote: "I have had my 1st generation Nook for over a year and have not had any issues with the charger. I wonder If I should get an additional one for a backup. As with everyone else, I will be interested ..."

message 49: by Ava (new)

Ava Wells | 3 comments yeah, get four. That might do you a year.

message 50: by Tiphanie (new)

Tiphanie (tiphanierichelle) How do we go about getting it replaced for free?

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread