Bound Together discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives - 2012 > Here's what to do.....

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deb, Queen Bee (last edited Jan 15, 2012 02:34PM) (new)

Deb | 2168 comments Mod
I'm starting things a little early this month since I won't have much free time to do so the next couple of weeks.

1. Member's Choice for February is SANDI!

Sandi please list your 3 books that you want us to vote on. A poll will be posted for us to vote on your selections.
Remember, you can nominate books for the monthly categories too.

2. Written by a celebrity
Nominate up to 2 books written by someone we've all heard of. "Celebrity" can be someone on TV, in the movies, in music, in politics, a religious figure, etc.
The book can be fiction or nonfiction, just as long as the majority of people have heard of this person.

3. February is Black History Month
Nominate one book with the subject of black history.

Books nominated do not have to come from your TBR list. But they can!
Please check our bookshelf to be sure the book you nominate has not already been read by the group.

All nominations are due by Tuesday at 8PM EST.

Happy Nominating!

Michele | 115 comments Books by a Celebrity:

Bossypants by Tina Fey and Through My Eyes by Tim Tebow

Black History:

The Color Purple by Alice Walker and Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

♥ Sandi (TakingTime) | 6877 comments I have so been waiting for this ...Thank your miracle fingers Deb...LOL !!!! I am so excited!!!

Let's see...which of the 3000 TBR books, I have, should I pick ?!?!?! Oh well I'll just go for it..LOL !!!

How about

The Boy in the Suitcase (Nina Borg, #1) by Lene Kaaberbøl The Boy in the Suitcase and

Home Safe Home Safe by Elizabeth Berg and

The Sisters  A Novel by Nancy Jensen The Sisters: A Novel

Had to check the books already read to see if one of these had been read, but nope I am safe.

Thanks again Deb.

message 4: by Kim B (last edited Jan 15, 2012 04:01PM) (new)

Kim B (kysaibar) | 221 comments Black History: The Warmth of Other Suns  The Epic Story of America's Great Migration by Isabel WilkersonIsabel Wilkerson

Celebrity: Dreams from My Father  A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack ObamaBarack Obama

message 5: by Diane S. (last edited Jan 16, 2012 10:55AM) (new)

Diane S. | 3607 comments Black History: Leaving Atlanta

Michelle | 237 comments Does this count for celebrity...this story has been very publicized... Gabby  A Story of Courage and Hope by Gabrielle Giffords Gabby: A Story of Courage and Hope

and, this one written by Portia de Rossi (aka Mrs. Ellen Degeneres) Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi Unbearable Lightness

Black History: Native Son by Richard Wright Native Son

message 8: by ☮Karen (last edited Jan 15, 2012 05:26PM) (new)

☮Karen | 3435 comments Celebrity: An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin by Steve Martin and Lunatics  A Novel by Dave Barry by Dave Barry, Alan Zweibel

Black History: Leaving Atlanta by Tayari Jones
Leaving Atlanta

♥ Sandi (TakingTime) | 6877 comments Okay here are my other picks...

Black History...Death of Innocence: The Story of the Hate Crime That Changed America Death of Innocence  The Story of the Hate Crime That Changed America by Mamie Till-Mobley
and for Celebrity ( this one kinda fits both Celebrity and Black History) Dear Senator  A Memoir by the Daughter of Strom Thurmond by Essie Mae Washington-Williams Dear Senator: A Memoir by the Daughter of Strom Thurmond

and Alan Alda's

Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself by Alan Alda Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself

Maureen Black History: Fraternity by Diane Brady.

Melanie | 18 comments Celebrity 1: Jeannie Out of the Bottle by Barbara Eden

Celebrity 2: Slash by Slash

Black History Month: The Learning Tree by Gordon Parks

DAN My vote for #2 is Dreams of my father by Barack Obama.

My vote for #3 is Native Son, by Richard Wright

Deb wrote: "I'm starting things a little early this month since I won't have much free time to do so the next couple of weeks.

Sandi please list your 3 books th..."

Jen | 60 comments Celebrity choice
My Point...And I Do Have One by Ellen DeGeneres

message 15: by Karenm (last edited Jan 15, 2012 07:47PM) (new)

Karenm | 34 comments celebrity My Life in France by Julia Child

One More Timeby Carol Burnett

Reina Williams Some of these look great! I second anything by Steve Martin for celebrity and Happy Accidents by Jane Lynch

message 18: by Patty (last edited Jan 15, 2012 09:43PM) (new)

Patty | 5 comments Black History: The Warmth of Other Suns  The Epic Story of America's Great Migration by Isabel Wilkerson

Celebrity: Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson

Bess W (Bessw) I can only think of one for the Celeb category right now. My Lucky Life In and Out of Show Business by Dick Van DykeMy Lucky Life In and Out of Show Business

I love him SO much and have had this book on my to-read list since I first found out about it.

Bess W (Bessw) I totally forgot about Native Son by Richard Wright Native Son! I second that!

DAN wrote: "My vote for #2 is Dreams of my father by Barack Obama.

My vote for #3 is Native Son, by Richard Wright

Connie (cjcreads) | 1081 comments Deb wrote: "I'm starting things a little early this month since I won't have much free time to do so the next couple of weeks.

Sandi please list your 3 books th..."

AAGH...I am still finishing All the Pretty Horses...and just got The Sugar Queen, now I have to think of another!!!!!!!!

Alena (AlenaM) | 1326 comments Celebrity picks:
Stories I Only Tell My Friends  An Autobiography by Rob Lowe or Then Again by Diane Keaton, both of which look great.

Balck history is tough. I am tempted to nominate something by Toni Morrison because the is marvelous, but I have been wanting to read Leaving Atlanta by Tayari Jones ever since I read her outstanding Silver Sparrow last year, so I'll go with that.
Great idea Deb.

Nicole (pinkrain718) Celebrity:
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)(Enhanced Edition) by Mindy Kaling
A Little Bit Wicked  Life, Love, and Faith in Stages by Kristin Chenoweth

Black History:
A Slave in the White House  Paul Jennings and the Madisons by Elizabeth Dowling Taylor

Alicia (amalley71) | 11 comments Sandi wrote: "I have so been waiting for this ...Thank your miracle fingers Deb...LOL !!!! I am so excited!!!

Let's see...which of the 3000 TBR books, I have, should I pick ?!?!?! Oh well I'll just go for it....."

The boy in the suitcase sounds very intriguing.

☯Emily Alicia wrote: "Sandi wrote: "I have so been waiting for this ...Thank your miracle fingers Deb...LOL !!!! I am so excited!!!

Let's see...which of the 3000 TBR books, I have, should I pick ?!?!?! Oh well I'll ..."

I agree that The Boy In The Suitcase sounds like an interesting read.

message 26: by Alicia (last edited Jan 17, 2012 06:47PM) (new)

message 27: by Deb, Queen Bee (new)

Deb | 2168 comments Mod
Celebrity:
Bossypants by Tina Fey
The Time of My Life by Patrick Swayze I actually want to listen to this one because he narrates it too :(

Black History:
Growing Up in Slavery  Stories of Young Slaves as Told By Themselves by Yuval Taylor

message 28: by Deb, Queen Bee (new)

Deb | 2168 comments Mod
Melanie and DAN....just a reminder to add either the link or cover for your nominations, otherwise they are not included in the list that prints out
thanks!

Cathy | 107 comments Celebrity:
My Life in France by Julia Child
Personal History by Katharine Graham

Black History Month:
The Warmth of Other Suns  The Epic Story of America's Great Migration by Isabel Wilkerson

Brenda Surin (BrendaSurin) | 34 comments Black History Month
Roots  The Saga of an American Family by Alex Haley

Brenda Surin (BrendaSurin) | 34 comments Celebrity
Then Again by Diane Keaton
Bossypants by Tina Fey

Connie (cjcreads) | 1081 comments Black History Month, I 2nd Brenda for Roots  The Saga of an American Family by Alex Haley
For Celebrity, Autobiography of Mark Twain  The Complete and Authoritative Edition, Vol. 1 by Mark Twain...though I understand the whole autobiography has not been published? I think he counts as a celebrity!

message 33: by Kirsty (last edited Jan 17, 2012 06:06AM) (new)

Kirsty Turner (KirstyTurner) | 7 comments For black history I nominate The Color Purple by Alice Walkerand for celebrity I nominate I am Ozzy by Ozzy Osbourne

message 34: by Malinda (last edited Jan 17, 2012 10:54AM) (new)

Malinda Bollinger (MBoll) | 193 comments I recommend The Warmth of Other Suns for Black History. The Warmth of Other Suns  The Epic Story of America's Great Migration by Isabel Wilkerson

Elise | 9 comments For black history, The Color Purple by Alice Walker.

For celebrity: An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin

Sarah (SarahEllwood) | 9 comments Black History: The Warmth of Other Suns  The Epic Story of America's Great Migration by Isabel Wilkerson

For Celebrity: Autobiography of Mark Twain  The Complete and Authoritative Edition, Vol. 1 by Mark Twain

Alicia (amalley71) | 11 comments Connie wrote: "Black History Month, I 2nd Brenda for Roots  The Saga of an American Family by Alex Haley
For Celebrity, [bookcover:Autobiography of Mark Twain: The Complete and Authoritative Edition, Vol. 1..."

Thanks. I added Mark Twain to my "to read" list.

message 38: by Deb, Queen Bee (new)

Deb | 2168 comments Mod
I will post the polls tonite, just can't get to it today, so I will close this topic for now because I have the list for nominations printed.

message 39: by Deb, Queen Bee (new)

Deb | 2168 comments Mod
Polls are open!

My 6 year old niece did the pickin tonite, she's got the magic touch, gonna be tough to choose!

You have 2 days to get your votes in, polls close late night Friday.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.