Cozy Mysteries discussion

Members Reading/Challenge Lists > Emmajane's Cozy Challenges

Comments (showing 1-27 of 27) (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma | 106 comments I apologize if this is not the right place to post this, this is my first challenge and not exactly sure what the proper protocol is. I would like to give the Sherlock Holmes challenge a try since I am obsessed with Conan Doyle and have never done a challenge before, what a great place to start!

Challenge Description:
Sherlock Holmes Challenge
Based on the life and events of the fictional character Sherlock Holmes written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Challenge Start Date: January 14, 2012

1. Sherlock Holmes – Read a book with a detective or private eye as a main character.

2. Dr. John H. Watson – Read a book where the person solving the mystery has an assistant or helper.

3. 221 B Baker Street – Read a book with an address in the title, or mentioned somewhere in the book. Or there is a character named Baker, or Baker is in the title, or is part of the author’s name.

4. London – Read a book that takes place in England.

5. Books - There are 4 novels and 56 short stories that make up the Sherlock Holmes original works. Read any one of those, or you may read a book that is based on Sherlock Holmes in any way.

6. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle – Read a book by an author with a 3 word name, the author is knighted (Sir or Dame), Or “Arthur”, “Conan” or “Doyle” is found in the authors name (including Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, if you wish to read another book by the author himself).

7. Smoking – Holmes smoked a Meerschaum pipe, and occasionally cigarettes and cigars. Read a book where there is a pipe, cigarettes, or cigar either on the cover, in the title, or used by a main character in a book.

8. Drugs – Holmes had a habit of using cocaine and occasionally morphine as a stimulant. Read a book where drugs are part of the story or someone uses a stimulant (including caffeine).

9. Deductive Reasoning – Holmes was famous for this. Read a book where a mystery is solved by following and interpreting clues.

10. Disguise – Holmes frequently disguised himself. Read a book where, for whatever reason, someone wears a disguise or costume.

11. Forensic Science – This was used frequently by Holmes. Read a book where some type of forensic science is mentioned. It could be anything from fingerprints to CSI type lab work.

12. Deerstalker hat & cape – This was what Holmes is usually pictured wearing. Read a book where someone wears either a hat or a cape, of any kind, at some point in the book. (Police officers, cowboy, etc.)

13. Dr. Moriarty – He was Holmes’ archvillian. Read a book where there is one major villain.

message 2: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) | 1541 comments Mod
Welcome to the challenges. I moved your thread into the member's area where everyone stores theirs. :)

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma | 106 comments ஐ Briansgirl "Book Sale Queen"ஐ wrote: "Welcome to the challenges. I moved your thread into the member's area where everyone stores theirs. :)"

I knew I was going to put it in the wrong space :/. Sorry about that!

message 4: by Emma (last edited Feb 04, 2012 12:32PM) (new)

Emma | 106 comments While I posted this about 3 weeks ago, I actually just remembered that I wanted to start it. So, alas, I am behind. But I am sure I have read some books recently that would fit somewhere in here as I have been on a mystery kick since the beginning of the year. Here we go!

7. Smoking – Holmes smoked a Meerschaum pipe, and occasionally cigarettes and cigars. Read a book where there is a pipe, cigarettes, or cigar either on the cover, in the title, or used by a main character in a book.
Witches' Bane Witches' Bane (China Bayles, #2) by Susan Wittig Albert.

China is involved in yet another murder mystery. In this one, she frequently mentions the sheriff and his unlit cigar. If it were just mentioned once, I wouldn't use it, but she mentions it frequently throughout the book, at least 4 times, which to me, kind of sounds excessive, but it works in my favor!

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma | 106 comments 1.Sherlock Holmes – Read a book with a detective or private eye as a main character.

The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: A Shocking Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher A Shocking Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective by Kate Summerscale. Absolutely loved this book! Mr. Whicher is one of the first detectives and not the best at that. This was nonfiction that read like fiction and gave the background on the development of the "detective novel" (Collins and Dickens).

message 6: by Emma (last edited Feb 04, 2012 12:32PM) (new)

Emma | 106 comments 2. Dr. John H. Watson – Read a book where the person solving the mystery has an assistant or helper
Hangman's Root Hangman's Root (China Bayles, #3) by Susan Wittig Albert.
In this mystery, China is acting as "investigator" to her old law school friend, The Whiz, and Ruby is China's assistant. Not sure if China or Ruby is considered the helper here, but either way, it works!

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma | 106 comments I am new to challenges and hope I am on the right track. If I am making some key errors, please let me know! I am hoping this won't be my last challenge so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma | 106 comments Cozy Themes

1.British - English - Books that take place in the United Kingdom countries of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

2. Historical/Period - Any book that takes place prior to 1940.

3. Animals - Any book with an animal as a main character, subject of the book, book takes place in a pet shop, stable, etc.

4. Culinary/Cooking - Food themed mysteries.

5. Paranormal - Anything centered around the occult, witches, vampires, werewolves, Psychics, ghosts, etc.

6. Vacation Mysteries/Exotic Locations - Any book that takes place outside the United States and/or outside the country in which you live.

7. Holidays - Any holiday themed mystery.

8. Hobbies - Any mystery that centers around a hobby, craft, sport, etc.

9. Professions/Careers/Jobs/Occupations - Any mystery that centers on or highlights a particular job. Doesn't matter if the job is that of the person murdered, or that of the amateur slueth.

10. Senior Sleuths - Read a mystery where the sleuth is 50 or older

message 9: by Emma (new)

Emma | 106 comments Sherlock Holmes – Read a book with a detective or private eye as a main character. .The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: A Shocking Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective

2. Dr. John H. Watson – Read a book where the person solving the mystery has an assistant or helper.Hangman's Root

3. 221 B Baker Street – Read a book with an address in the title, or mentioned somewhere in the book. Or there is a character named Baker, or Baker is in the title, or is part of the author’s name.

4. London – Read a book that takes place in England.The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

5. Books - There are 4 novels and 56 short stories that make up the Sherlock Holmes original works. Read any one of those, or you may read a book that is based on Sherlock Holmes in any way.

6. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle – Read a book by an author with a 3 word name, the author is knighted (Sir or Dame), Or “Arthur”, “Conan” or “Doyle” is found in the authors name (including Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, if you wish to read another book by the author himself).

7. Smoking – Holmes smoked a Meerschaum pipe, and occasionally cigarettes and cigars. Read a book where there is a pipe, cigarettes, or cigar either on the cover, in the title, or used by a main character in a book.Witches' Bane

8. Drugs – Holmes had a habit of using cocaine and occasionally morphine as a stimulant. Read a book where drugs are part of the story or someone uses a stimulant (including caffeine).

9. Deductive Reasoning – Holmes was famous for this. Read a book where a mystery is solved by following and interpreting clues.

10. Disguise – Holmes frequently disguised himself. Read a book where, for whatever reason, someone wears a disguise or costume.

11. Forensic Science – This was used frequently by Holmes. Read a book where some type of forensic science is mentioned. It could be anything from fingerprints to CSI type lab work.

12. Deerstalker hat & cape – This was what Holmes is usually pictured wearing. Read a book where someone wears either a hat or a cape, of any kind, at some point in the book. (Police officers, cowboy, etc.)

13. Dr. Moriarty – He was Holmes’ archvillian. Read a book where there is one major villain

message 10: by Emma (new)

1.British - English - Books that take place in the United Kingdom countries of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

2. Historical/Period - Any book that takes place prior to 1940.

3. Animals - Any book with an animal as a main character, subject of the book, book takes place in a pet shop, stable, etc.

4. Culinary/Cooking - Food themed mysteries.

5. Paranormal - Anything centered around the occult, witches, vampires, werewolves, Psychics, ghosts, etc.

6. Vacation Mysteries/Exotic Locations - Any book that takes place outside the United States and/or outside the country in which you live.

7. Holidays - Any holiday themed mystery.Valentine Murder

8. Hobbies - Any mystery that centers around a hobby, craft, sport, etc.

9. Professions/Careers/Jobs/Occupations - Any mystery that centers on or highlights a particular job. Doesn't matter if the job is that of the person murdered, or that of the amateur slueth.

10. Senior Sleuths - Read a mystery where the sleuth is 50 or older

message 11: by Emma (new)

Emma | 106 comments Just an update, more for myself that anything else. I feel very unorganized going into this first challege.
January 14, 2012-April 14, 2012

1. Sherlock Holmes – Suspicions of Mr. Whicher

2. Dr. John H. Watson – Hangman's Root

3. 221 B Baker Street –

4. London – Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

5. Books -

6. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle –

7. Smoking – Witches' Bane

8. Drugs –

9. Deductive Reasoning – The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag

10. Disguise –

11. Forensic Science –

12. Deerstalker hat & cape –

13. Dr. Moriarty –

5/13

message 12: by Emma (last edited Mar 03, 2012 01:15PM) (new)

Start Date: February 19, 2012
Anticipated End Date: May 19, 2012

1.British - English -

2. Historical/Period -

3. Animals - This Pen for Hire

4. Culinary/Cooking -

5. Paranormal - The Trouble with Magic

6. Vacation Mysteries/Exotic Locations -

7. Holidays - Valentine Murder

8. Hobbies -

9. Professions/Careers/Jobs/Occupations -

10. Senior Sleuths -

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma | 106 comments Since I am on a cozy role I decided to widen my challenge scope and try a monthly one. I have seen these in the threads almost daily and always wanted to try. So why not?!

March is National Craft Month - Read a book with any crafting theme.

March 2 - Old Stuff Day - Read your oldest TBR (to be read) Cozy Mystery

Mar 3 - If Pets Had Thumbs Day - Read any book with an animal on the cover, in the title, or is a significant character in the book.

March 10 - Middle Name Pride Day - Read any author who uses their middle name on their published works.

March 12 - Plant a Flower Day - Read any book with a flower on the cover or in the title.

message 15: by Emma (new)

Emma | 106 comments 1. Sherlock Holmes – Suspicions of Mr. Whicher

3. 221 B Baker Street –

4. London – Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

5. Books -

8. Drugs – The Trouble with Magic

10. Disguise –

11. Forensic Science –

13. Dr. Moriarty –

message 16: by Emma (new)

Emma | 106 comments 1. Sherlock Holmes – The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: A Shocking Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective

3. 221 B Baker Street –

4. London – The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

5. Books -

8. Drugs –

10. Disguise –

11. Forensic Science – Fatal Fixer-Upper

13. Dr. Moriarty –

message 17: by Emma (new)

Emma | 106 comments March is National Craft Month -

March 2 - Old Stuff Day -

Mar 3 - If Pets Had Thumbs Day - Fatal Fixer-Upper

March 10 - Middle Name Pride Day -

March 12 - Plant a Flower Day -

message 18: by Emma (new)

Emma | 106 comments 1.British - English -

2. Historical/Period -

3. Animals - Fatal Fixer-Upper

4. Culinary/Cooking -

5. Paranormal - The Trouble with Magic

6. Vacation Mysteries/Exotic Locations -

8. Hobbies -

10. Senior Sleuths - Skating on Thin Ice

3/10

message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma | 106 comments March is National Craft Month - Pleating for Mercy

March 2 - Old Stuff Day - Still have to look through and see what my oldest mystery is.

March 10 - Middle Name Pride Day - The Titanic Murders

March 12 - Plant a Flower Day - Rosemary Remembered

message 20: by Emma (new)

Emma | 106 comments 1.British - English - ]A Red Herring Without Mustard

2. Historical/Period - River of Darkness

4. Culinary/Cooking - A Catered St. Patrick's Day

5. Paranormal - The Trouble With Magic

6. Vacation Mysteries/Exotic Locations - Trouble at High Tide

8. Hobbies - Still not sure

10. Senior Sleuths - [book:Skating on Thin Ice|8511625

message 21: by Emma (last edited Mar 26, 2012 11:41AM) (new)

Emma | 106 comments 1.British - English - A Red Herring Without Mustard

4. Culinary/Cooking - A Catered St. Patrick's Day

8. Hobbies - A Charmed Death

9. Professions/Careers/Jobs/Occupations - Pleating for Mercy

Completed 5/10 so far

message 22: by Emma (new)

Emma | 106 comments March is National Craft Month - Pleating for Mercy

March 2 - Old Stuff Day -And Then There were None

March 10 - Middle Name Pride Day - The Titanic Murders

March 12 - Plant a Flower Day - Rosemary Remembered

Completed: 2/5

message 23: by Emma (new)

Emma | 106 comments Didn't complete the March challenge, but it was my first time trying so I suppose 2/5 isn't so horrible.

For the Cozy Themes:

1.British - English - A Red Herring Without Mustard

3. Animals -Fatal Fixer-Upper

4. Culinary/Cooking -

8. Hobbies - A Charmed Death

9. Professions/Careers/Jobs/Occupations -Pleating for Mercy

Completed 7/10 so far

message 24: by Emma (last edited Sep 11, 2012 12:09PM) (new)

Emma | 106 comments You'll have 3 months to complete the challenge.
July 1 - Sep 31

Red: Where Serpents Sleep Where Serpents Sleep (Sebastian St. Cyr, #4) by C.S. Harris

Orange:The Ghost and the Dead Man's Library The Ghost and the Dead Man's Library (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #3) by Alice Kimberly 9/11/12

Yellow: Why Mermaids Sing Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr, #3) by C.S. Harris

Green:The Fleet Street Murders The Fleet Street Murders (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #3) by Charles Finch 7/15/12

Blue: The September Society The September Society (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #2) by Charles Finch 7/10/12

Purple/Violet: Silent on the Moor Silent on the Moor (Lady Julia, #3) by Deanna Raybourn 7/31/12

message 25: by Emma (new)

Emma | 106 comments You'll have 3 months to complete the challenge.
July 1 - Sep 31

Red: Where Serpents Sleep

Orange: The Ghost and the Dead Man's Library (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #3) by Alice Kimberly (my cover is actually very orange, not yellow as this one appears).

Yellow: Why Mermaids Sing

Green:The Fleet Street Murders 7/15/12

Blue: The September Society 7/10/12

Purple/Violet: Silent on the Moor 7/31/12

message 26: by Emma (new)

Emma | 106 comments Read the season:
W-- A Wee Christmas Homicide by Katheryn Dunant
I
N
T-- Tressed to Kill by Lila Dare
E
R-- Mistletoe, Merriment,and Murder by Sara Rosett

I'll have to look through some lists to find the rest.

message 27: by Emma (last edited Dec 31, 2012 08:03AM) (new)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: A Shocking Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective (other topics)
Witches' Bane (other topics)
Hangman's Root (other topics)
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (other topics)
Valentine Murder (other topics)
More...