Movies We've Just Watched discussion

LISTS, LISTS, AND MORE LISTS > Movies you're most looking forward to in 2012?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 140) (140 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Robert (last edited Jan 11, 2012 12:48PM) (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) I just found this buried in Rope of Silcon's top 40 most anticipated movies of 2012... and it immediately shot to #1 on my list.

Rust and Bone
TBA 2012

I had no idea who Jacques Audiard was until I saw and was floored by A Prophet back in 2009 when I placed it #1 on my top ten list that year. I promptly watched the director's 2005 feature The Beat That My Heart Skipped after that and have awaited his next film ever since. As it turns out, 2012 just might be the year we finally get to see it.

Rust and Bone stars Marion Cotillard and is an adaptation of Craig Davidson's 2005 collection of short stories (buy it here) said to be take place in a savage world populated by fighting dogs, prizefighters, sex addicts, and gamblers. The title story involves an afflicted boxer whose hand never properly heals after a bone is broken. The fighter's career descends to bouts that have less to do with sport than with survival: no referee, no rules, not even gloves.

I don't know much more about the story and obviously Cotillard isn't the central figure based on that description. Additional known members of the cast include Matthias Schoenaerts, Bouli Lanners and Celine Sallette. The film presumably completed filming in November and if you're trolling sites like TMZ you probably saw those naked pictures of Cotillard as she was filming a scene for this specific project.

Audiard's A Prophet was a big hit at Cannes where it won the Grand Prize in 2009 and I can only assume they would love to have him back this year, but can he finish in time?

Okay, Craig Davidson, Jacques Audiard, and Marion Cotillard... I'm not really seeing any way this could possibly go wrong.

[edit: #9 is a new Michael Haneke movie. [jumping up and down waiting for it to open in Cleveland]

message 2: by Sashana (last edited Jan 11, 2012 05:51PM) (new)

Sashana I can't wait to see The Iron Lady. Larks, I need to see it now! But will most likely end up waiting for the DVD :(

message 3: by Sashana (last edited Jan 11, 2012 05:58PM) (new)

Sashana (Off the top of my head) These are some of my personal most anticipated of 2011:

◈Albert Nobbs (really excited for this one!)
◈Pina (technically this one is already out but it's limited release so I have to wait to see it)
◈The Vow
◈The Secret World of Arrietty
◈Brave
◈The Dark Knight Rises
◈Albatross
◈Red Tails

message 4: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 8325 comments Robert wrote: "I just found this buried in Rope of Silcon's top 40 most anticipated movies of 2012... and it immediately shot to #1 on my list...."

nice - i liked A PROPHET ... sounds good. marion cottilard is just about enough to draw me in on her own merit.

message 5: by Phillip (last edited Jan 11, 2012 07:35PM) (new)

Phillip | 8325 comments i've already communicated this on these threads, but i'm most excited to see paul thomas anderson's adaptation of the thomas pynchon novel, INHERENT VICE. words can not express ...

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) oh man, if you haven't seen The Beat that My Heart Skipped, hie thee to the video store now. It's Audiard's remake of Toback's Fingers, and it's phenomenal.

message 7: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 8325 comments saw it ... loved it.

message 8: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (LaurinLooLoo) I'm interested in seeing One for the Money. I enjoyed the book, and I want to see how they modernized it.

message 9: by Tom (new)

Tom | 3664 comments Phillip wrote: "i've already communicated this on these threads, but i'm most excited to see paul thomas anderson's adaptation of the thomas pynchon novel, INHERENT VICE. words can not express ..."

It looks like that's going to wait until after the Scientology drama, THE MASTER, with the unspeakable Mr. Hoffman.

message 10: by Robert (last edited Jan 12, 2012 05:12AM) (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Tom wrote: "It looks like that's going to wait until after the Scientology drama, THE MASTER"

[shudder]

Both RoS and Mubi say they've got wind it's coming this year, but IMDB still lists it for 2013. No time is too late, I says.

[edit: but then, to this day, I can't see the appeal of PT Anderson... tried to watch both Hard Eight and Magnolia back in the day, had to shut both off after less than half an hour whilst falling asleep.]

message 11: by Tom (new)

Tom | 3664 comments Robert wrote: " I can't see the appeal of PT Anderson... tried to watch both Hard Eight and Magnolia back in the day, had to shut both off after less than half an hour whilst falling asleep..."

I saw BOOGIE NIGHTS when it was first released, and loathed pretty much all of it -- a beautifully acted film of appalling ugliness and stupidity, with the most outrageously opportunistic use of graphic violence I've ever seen. Then along came MAGNOLIA, which I saw only because a lot of friends had some high regard for it, and it was certainly better than BOOGIE NIGHTS (few films aren't better than BOOGIE NIGHTS, fwiw) but way too cutesily clever for its own good. MAGNOLIA is another of those Altmanesque Multi Plot Marathons with lots of expertly intercut multi-strand climactic moments when a lot of people are shown having crises at the same time, which was interesting the first couple of times but eventually wore out its welcome as it became apparent that I was just watching Julianne Moore doing a lot of choking back the tears, over and over and over and over and over.

I remember describing Anderson at some point as being a handy purveyor of Big Scenes For Actors -- they get to scream, cry, commit suicide, have sex on camera, beat each other up, choke back the tears, wildly over-act and/or carefully under-act up a storm. The problem was that he didn't really do much to shape these moments into anything valuable or even interesting. I skipped PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE, or whatever it was, and have just never felt the need to see it.

No one was more surprised than I at how much I enjoyed THERE WILL BE BLOOD, still for me the best film of the last 12 years. There's no way I'm going to subject myself to P.S. Hoffman onscreen ever again, so I'll sit out THE MASTER or whatever they call it. We'll see what he does with INHERENT VICE, if it ever happens.

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Caswell | 2 comments I'm looking forward to:
The Woman in Black
Big Miracle
Star Wars 3D
Mirror Mirror (I think)
The Hunger Games
The Avengers
Men in Black 3
Brave
The Hobbit
And I'm looking forward to the last Twilight movie coming out so I can stop seeing commercials and promotions for it!!!

message 13: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) I like the idea of The Woman in Black (planning on doing an opening-night double feature with The Innkeepers, actually), but every time I see the trailer I have a problem buying Harry Potter in that role. At least twice I've referred to it as "the new Johnny Depp film" accidentally because he desperately needs to replace whatsisname...

message 14: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Laurin wrote: "I'm interested in seeing One for the Money. I enjoyed the book, and I want to see how they modernized it."

So am I. In the trailer Stephanie said, "You kissed me at my wedding." I don't believe she was married in the book- one inconsistency already.

message 15: by Sooz (new)

Sooz | 1023 comments loved The Beat That My Heart Skipped ... so yeah, i will be looking forward to a new one by Jacques Audiard too. my respect for Michael Haneke seems to increase with each movie i see of his. i'd definitely be keen to see a new one by him.

the trailer for The Woman in Black looks good ... and, as i never watched the Harry Potter movies i am spared the comparison.

The Hunger Games - i love the genre (dystopian / soft sci fi) AND i have great respect for the lead actress Jennifer Lawrence who was so good in Winter's Bone.

Ridley Scott's Prometheus comes out this summer and i will definitely want to catch it on the big screen. i know they are down playing the Alien connection but i hope Scott gives us something of that calibre even if the story isn't directly related.

i am hugely curious about a film adaptation of David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas. it's one of those books that does not easily lend itself to film, and if the directors can pull it off it will be amazing. it already has one strike against it (in my book) as Tom Hanks is in it. it's directed by Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run) and the Machowski(?) siblings who did Matrix.

message 16: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (LaurinLooLoo) Sashana wrote: "Laurin wrote: "I'm interested in seeing One for the Money. I enjoyed the book, and I want to see how they modernized it."

So am I. In the trailer Stephanie said, "You kissed me at my wedding." I..."

In the book, she is divorced, so that is correct. They changed the name of the store that she worked at to Macy's. It makes sense though, I've never heard of the other store.

message 17: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 8325 comments Tom wrote: "It looks like that's going to wait until after the Scientology drama, THE MASTER, with the unspeakable Mr. Hoffman. ..."..."

grrrrr ... don't want to hear that.

message 18: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Laurin wrote: "Sashana wrote: "Laurin wrote: "I'm interested in seeing One for the Money. I enjoyed the book, and I want to see how they modernized it."

So am I. In the trailer Stephanie said, "You kissed me at ..."

Damn. Now I'm going to have to reread the book before seeing the movie. I didn't remember that so imagine all of the other thing I forgot.

message 19: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Ion Cinema just finished posting their 100 most anticipated 2012 releases... a mix of the "can't wait to see this" and "what the hell are you thinking?", as usual. Starts here:

http://www.ioncinema.com/news/id/6860

message 20: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (LaurinLooLoo) Sashana wrote: "Laurin wrote: "Sashana wrote: "Laurin wrote: "I'm interested in seeing One for the Money. I enjoyed the book, and I want to see how they modernized it."

So am I. In the trailer Stephanie said, "Yo..."

I only remembered it so distinctly because I read the book fairly recently.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 11 comments I can't wait to see Les Misérables. It comes out on December 14th.

message 22: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Just caught a trailer for KILLER JOE. William Friedkin reunites with Tracy Letts? Yes, please.

message 23: by Julie (new)

Julie (brontesister) | 730 comments Robert wrote: "Ion Cinema just finished posting their 100 most anticipated 2012 releases... a mix of the "can't wait to see this" and "what the hell are you thinking?", as usual. Starts here:

http://www.ioncinem..."

I haven't had a chance to go through the whole list, but the Sally Potter film, BOMB sounds promising. I loved her film, ORLANDO.

message 24: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 8325 comments Robert wrote: "Just caught a trailer for KILLER JOE. William Friedkin reunites with Tracy Letts? Yes, please."

niiiiiiiice.

message 25: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 8325 comments Julie wrote: "I haven't had a chance to go through the whole list, but the Sally Potter film, BOMB sounds promising. I loved her film, ORLANDO. ..."

yeah, ORLANDO was something special ... why is that film not in my collection???

message 26: by Tom (new)

Tom | 3664 comments I understand that Martin McDonagh has a new film coming out this year, with the interesting title SEVEN PSYCHOPATHS.

message 27: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 8325 comments hmn. is that the guy that directed IN BRUGES?

message 28: by Tom (new)

Tom | 3664 comments Yup -- love me some Martin McDonagh.

message 29: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 8325 comments i have since looked up SEVEN PYSCHOPATHS ... i'm intrigued!

message 30: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany McFly (tiffmcfly) Phillip wrote: "i have since looked up SEVEN PYSCHOPATHS ... i'm intrigued!"

I only want to see it because Tom Waits is in it!

message 31: by Julie (new)

Julie (brontesister) | 730 comments Phillip wrote: "hmn. is that the guy that directed IN BRUGES?"

IN BRUGES was so good. Colin Farrell is going to be in this one too, so I'm looking forward to it; he was really funny in IN BRUGES. And it also stars Sam Rockwell--another bonus!

message 32: by Chloe (new)

Chloe | 10 comments Julie wrote: "Phillip wrote: "hmn. is that the guy that directed IN BRUGES?"

IN BRUGES was so good. Colin Farrell is going to be in this one too, so I'm looking forward to it; he was really funny in IN BRUGES. ..."
Did you guys ever seen Red dawn Its an odd movie but real good.Their is also called Outsiders

message 33: by Sooz (new)

Sooz | 1023 comments Chloe wrote: "Julie wrote: "Phillip wrote: "hmn. is that the guy that directed IN BRUGES?"

IN BRUGES was so good. Colin Farrell is going to be in this one too, so I'm looking forward to it; he was really funny ..."

the only movie i know called Red Dawn is an old one with Patrick Swayze...... i'm guessing that is not the movie you are talking about!

message 34: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Sooz wrote: "the only movie i know called Red Dawn is an old one with Patrick Swayze...... i'm guessing that is not the movie you are talking about! "

There was a remake last year. That it exists is the extent of my knowledge about it.

message 35: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany McFly (tiffmcfly) I am excited for Silent Hill: Revelations 3DHere Comes The Boom and Seven Psychopaths.

message 36: by Tom (last edited Sep 12, 2012 07:55AM) (new)

Tom | 3664 comments I'm interested in seeing THE MASTER, with Joaquin Phoenix, mainly to see how Paul Thomas Anderson follows up THERE WILL BE BLOOD. I do wish Anderson had worked a little harder and found another actor instead of the unfortunate Phillip Seymour Hoffman, who is usually a total deal breaker for me, but the trailers and the buzz around this film have me interested, so I won't let Hoffman's participation deter me from seeing the film. This one time.

Spielberg's film of LINCOLN, well, I guess I'll go to see Daniel Day-Lewis, and Sally Field as Mary Todd Lincoln is a definite draw, but I just can't forget that this is a Spielberg film, after all, and that's never really good news.

There's a new film called LEAVE THE LIGHTS ON that is getting a lot of attention, I'll be seeing it this weekend, I think. I'm also glad to be seeing FINDING NEMO in 3-D, and some upcoming revivals of THE BIRDS and LAWRENCE OF ARABIA.

message 37: by Sooz (new)

Sooz | 1023 comments The Master is getting good reviews at Toronto Film Festival.

so is a new version of Anna Karenina.

message 38: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Tom wrote: "There's a new film called LEAVE THE LIGHTS ON that is getting a lot of attention, I'll be seeing it this weekend, I think."

Paprika Steen? I'm in.

message 39: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Kyle ~The Rebel Leader~ wrote: "I'd like to see LAWLESS, THE WORDS, SNOWMAN'S LAND, SMILEY, V/H/S AND HALLOWEEN 3-D, EVIL DEAD 3."

The Words has been getting absolutely horrific reviews. Never sure how much I trust reviews, but, you know.

V/H/S has been getting some buzz. Hoping it's the surprise flick at this years Twelve Hours of Terror.

message 40: by Julie (new)

Julie (brontesister) | 730 comments Tom wrote: "I'm interested in seeing THE MASTER, with Joaquin Phoenix, mainly to see how Paul Thomas Anderson follows up THERE WILL BE BLOOD. I do wish Anderson had worked a little harder and found another ac..."

Did you mean KEEP THE LIGHTS ON? That one sounds very good.

I want to see THE MASTER too. Great cast and director and interesting storyline. I like the actors, even Phillip Seymour Hoffman! I usually like his films. Joachim Phoenix and Amy Adams too.

I love Daniel Day-Lewis but don't think I want to see another film about Lincoln. Lewis would be the only reason to see it.

The recent film THE CONSPIRATOR wasn't a very good film, but that was mostly about Lincoln's assassination and subsequent trial.

message 41: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany McFly (tiffmcfly) There's a movie called Mama coming out in January 2013, and it looks uh-may-zing! Completely.

While watching the trailer I was like, "Aw, it's the story of two neglected children cut off from civilization and trying to cope with out world..." but then that quickly turned into, "This is some scary looking shit." lol

message 42: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) I think I got that figured out from the trailer... if I'm right, should be a fun ride.

Just caught a trailer for The Bay... holy crap, BARRY LEVINSON of all people is making a crazy-killer-cockroach movie? YES, PLEASE.

message 43: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 8325 comments here's a little blurb on the upcoming paul thomas anderson production of pynchon's INHERENT VICE

Film News

Posted: Thu., Jan. 24, 2013, 12:45pm PT
Joaquin Phoenix, PTA reteam on 'Inherent Vice'
Actor in talks to star in stoner detective tale set in 1969
By JUSTIN KROLL

Joaquin Phoenix is looking to reteam with Paul Thomas Anderson as "The
Master" star is in talks to star in Anderson's "Inherent Vice."

Anderson will write and direct the pic which follows stoner detective,
Larry "Doc" Sportello who tries to solve a case in 1969 Los Angeles.

The project originally had Robert Downey Jr. linked to it but it now
looks like Phoenix will step into the shoes of Sportello.

No start date has been set yet.

The film would mark Thomas Anderson's first venture into comedy and
would also mark Phoenix's first comedic turn in sometime with the last
one being the 1995 black comedy "To Die For" starring Nicole Kidman.

He is repped by WME and Sloane, Offer, Weber and Dern.

Contact Justin Kroll at justin.kroll@variety.com

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118...

message 44: by Tom (last edited Jan 25, 2013 07:40AM) (new)

Tom | 3664 comments Phoenix's turn in TO DIE FOR wasn't especially comedic, as brilliant as it was.

I'd much rather see Robert Downey Jr. as Sportello. Damn.

We'll see. I'm hoping INHERENT VICE doesn't mark a return to the kind of BOOGIE NIGHTS/MAGNOLIA frantic frenetic crap that Anderson had so blessedly gotten away from.

message 45: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Phillip wrote: "here's a little blurb on the upcoming paul thomas anderson production of pynchon's INHERENT VICE"

I'm kinda suspicious (for exactly the same reasons as Tom, really...Anderson's Magnolia-era material just drives me bonkers).

message 46: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 8325 comments we'll just have to see ... don't shoot the messenger! i was also thinking robert downey junior could bring the right comic elan to the role. but we will see what mr phoenix does with it - he's a very talented actor - could bring something totally unexpected.

message 47: by Sooz (new)

Sooz | 1023 comments soooo... it is 2013 and there are more films to look forward to! here are a couple i am curious about and i know there will be others (Baxter, Robert, Phillip come to mind)who have a deep appreciation for these two ...

we can look forward to a new film from The Host’s Bong Joon-ho later this year called Snowpiercer, and one by Oldboy director Park Chan-wook’s out soon (!!) called Stoker. and they are both in English. i don't know .... but i guess we'll see what happens when they make that transition. fingers crossed.

message 48: by Steve (new)

Steve | 957 comments Stoker is now playing. Have heard very mixed reviews, one saying it was horrible and another saying it's great.

message 49: by Guitar Chick (new)

Guitar Chick (GuitarChick) | 312 comments I'm really looking forward to the new adaptation of The Great Gatsby. Little iffy on Dicaprio, but Carey Mulligan playing Daisy makes up for just about everything I'm iffy on.
Ender's Game comes out in November. I actually got to see a bit of the sets while I was in New Orleans and it looks pretty accurate. It's one of my favorite noevls, so I would be excited anyway. The cast seems especially great.

message 50: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Sooz wrote: "soooo... it is 2013 and there are more films to look forward to! here are a couple i am curious about and i know there will be others (Baxter, Robert, Phillip come to mind)who have a deep apprecia..."

I have been hearing really good things from the set of Snowpiercer. Wish someone would translate the manga into English. I should probably check the scanlation sites...

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread