Well Trained Mind Readers discussion

What are you reading this week?

Comments (showing 1-33 of 33) (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (tttiggerrr) | 11 comments I'm still slowly working my way through Horns. It's OK, but the story moves slow. My church started a Read the Bible in 90 Days challenge on Sunday so I'm getting bogged down with that...and a newborn. :)

message 2: by Cleo (new)

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 274 comments I'm reading:
The Picture of Dorian Grey The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

I can't say that I'm enjoying it yet. I can only describe both Basil and Sir Henry as slimey and Dorian appears spoilt and petulant. Sigh! I'm only on the second chapter, so perhaps it will get better ....

message 3: by Letizia (new)

Letizia (camilaletizia) | 5 comments Cleo wrote: "I'm reading:
The Picture of Dorian Grey The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

I can't say that I'm enjoying it yet. I can only describe both Basil and Sir Henry as slimey and Dorian appea..."

I was reading the same novel but I stopped 'cuz I dont like to read for too long through the computer screen..my eyes start hurting after a while. But I do believe the story is quite interesting, Dorian Grey is funny sometimes. I am in chapter 5 but hopefully as soon as my closest library has it available I will go and get it!

message 4: by Letizia (new)

Letizia (camilaletizia) | 5 comments To answer the topic question..
I just finished the book "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".
Such a book was pretty good, I loved the middle part but the beggining and the end is not so interesting. I am waiting for the movie and hopefully start the next 2 books. I also have close to me the book "The Hunger Game" which I am hoping to read tonight. Several people have highly recommend it and besides is an educational book according to scholastic.

message 5: by Robyn (new)

Robyn Groth (RobynGroth) | 3 comments I'm mostly reading Ranger's Apprentice 4. I plan to finish that one this week.

message 6: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 4 comments I admit, I'm still reading A Passion for the Impossible this week. I'm also reading The Incredible Journey as a read aloud with the kids, but I don't think I get to count that in the 52 in 52 weeks, as we started before the New Year began. We are almost finished with it, though. a Passion for the Impossible has been interesting, but I think I would enjoy it a lot more if it was written more from Lilias' perspective. I don't really feel like I'm getting to know her as I read, more like I'm reading facts about her.

message 7: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (tttiggerrr) | 11 comments I finished Horns! It's my first official book for the 2012 challenge. :) Now on to Freedom for my book club.

message 8: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (tttiggerrr) | 11 comments GABY wrote: "To answer the topic question..
I just finished the book "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".
Such a book was pretty good, I loved the middle part but the beggining and the end is not so interesting. ..."

I read that last year. :)

The Hunger Game series is AWESOME!!!

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments Just finished The Paris Wife and I both loved and hated it. It was a great story but it showed the truth about one of my literary heros and that was a bummer.

message 10: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 1 comments I'm reading Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger. It's a little creepy, but I'm enjoying it.

message 11: by Cleo (new)

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 274 comments I finished The Picture of Dorian Gray (both loved it and hated it, like Heather with The Paris Wife) and now I'm reading:

Anna Karenina Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy by Leo Tolstoy

Has anyone else read this book and, if so, did you enjoy it?

message 12: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (tttiggerrr) | 11 comments Cleo, I haven't read it, but it's been on my "I should sit down and read this!" list for a while. What do you think of it so far?

message 13: by Cleo (new)

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 274 comments Lesley wrote: "Cleo, I haven't read it, but it's been on my "I should sit down and read this!" list for a while. What do you think of it so far?"

Hi Lesley, I'm about 20% of the way through and I am enjoying it but, so far, I have to admit it is not as wonderful as I expected. To be fair though, the book is almost 850 pages long and I get the feeling Tolstoy is still "setting the stage", so to speak.

You have a "I should sit down and read this!" list too? I wonder whose is longer? Hee hee! ;-)

message 14: by Stacia (new)

Stacia | 5 comments I'm currently reading (& loving) "In a Strange Room" by Damon Galgut.

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (onepageatatime) | 1 comments I just finished up "All the Pretty Horses" today and just posted a review on here. Still reading "The Sugar Queen" this week too--very light and easy which I needed after the last couple tougher reads.

"Anna Karenina" is on my long-term goal list...hopefully someday!

message 16: by Cleo (new)

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 274 comments Adding to Anna Karenina Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy:

The Iliad The Iliad by Homer by Homer and
The Defense Speeches of Cicero Defence Speeches (Oxford World's Classics) by Marcus Tullius Cicero by Marcus Tullius Cicero (of course!)

Surprisingly I'm enjoying Cicero's speeches MUCH more than I thought I would. He is a master!

message 17: by DPieper (new)

DPieper | 1 comments I don't know! I have too many books going. I think I'm going to . . .yeah, I don't know. Check out my bookshelf and I'll let you know what I finished reading next week LOL!

message 19: by Letizia (new)

Letizia (camilaletizia) | 5 comments I am now reading Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell.. sincerely for me has been a little boring I cant find get the message of the author it confuse me a little bit.
But if you are studying pscycology or philosophy you might like it. It has a lot of it.

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Chumley (KathleenMayC) | 2 comments Hi all,
I'm floridamom on the WTM boards, and followed a link from the 52 books thread on the General board.

I just finished The Broken Token, an historical mystery. I'm currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo for an online bookclub.

I read most books on my Kindle, unless the book I want isn't available for the Kindle.

message 21: by Apryl (new)

Apryl (AprylH) | 1 comments I'm reading

Faith and Other Flat Tires: Searching for God on the Rough Road of Doubt

This was for a review, and it is pretty decent so far.

I also just finished The Kite Runner wow...

message 22: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Hello - I'm new here, saw the group from the boards and decided to jump in.

I just finished reading The Brother Gardeners: Botany, Empire and the Birth of an Obsession. I read little nonfiction (unrelated to homeschooling) so it was a real treat.

Staring The Street of a Thousand Blossomstonight. I love Gail Tsukiyama!

message 23: by Karin (new)

Karin I'm just popping in somewhere to say I'm reading the book for the March discussion by CS Lewis.

message 24: by Cleo (new)

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 274 comments That's great, Karin! I almost missed this post. It's wonderful to have a few more voices for the discussion!

message 25: by Karin (last edited Feb 18, 2016 05:57PM) (new)

Karin Cleo wrote: "That's great, Karin! I almost missed this post. It's wonderful to have a few more voices for the discussion!"

Now that Shelfari is closing, I have more reason to be here and can read with old WTM friends (and perhaps some I didn't know the years I was on there). I think, Cleo, you were there all the 11 years I was, and perhaps still are. I remember you from those pre-2007 boards and then the forums.

message 26: by Cleo (new)

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 274 comments I was around the WTM forums for quite a few years and sometimes go back there now and again. I was wondering if we even met one time. I met a Karin on the Sunshine Coast once, which was kind of fun. But I knew about 3 Karin/Karen's from the WTM so I'm not sure if it was you .....???

message 27: by Karin (new)

Karin Cleo wrote: "I was around the WTM forums for quite a few years and sometimes go back there now and again. I was wondering if we even met one time. I met a Karin on the Sunshine Coast once, which was kind of fun..."

I met someone from WTM on the Sunshine Coast, but I don't remember her name being Cleo. That's where I'm from originally, but I live in the States now. I thought you were Cleo from Quebec, and the person I met had grandparents from the Sunshine Coast and I thought lived in BC or something like that (they'd owned this place in Halfmoon Bay). Now I am very confused. The Cleo from Quebec had a daughter and a son as I recall.

So, now I'm confused. But there was only one person on the WTM forums starting in 2007 who was simply Karin as I am here because it only allowed one user to have a name. I was first active on the Accelerated Learners, and later on the high school forums.

message 28: by Cleo (new)

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 274 comments Ha, ha! That's so funny! I'm not the Cleo from Quebec, but the Cleo that you met! Surprise for both of us! It's so nice to reconnect! :-) I'm still laughing at the coincidence.

Oh, and just so you know, I also had another WTMer think that I was Cleo from Quebec (do you remember Eliana?), so it's not just you ..... ;-)

message 29: by Karin (last edited Feb 21, 2016 03:24PM) (new)

Karin Cleo wrote: "Ha, ha! That's so funny! I'm not the Cleo from Quebec, but the Cleo that you met! Surprise for both of us! It's so nice to reconnect! :-) I'm still laughing at the coincidence.

Oh, and just so you..."

I wasn't actually sure you were her, and had forgotten you were both Cleos now. I DO remember Eliana, who did so MUCH great reading and wrote so well about it. She's the person who motivated me to read Anne Bronte.

But I do remember meeting you!

But then, mixing up names is common. I never mix up Karins and Karens because to me they are different (or Kristens with Kristins), but I have mixed up one and 2 l Michelles, etc.

message 30: by Cleo (new)

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 274 comments Karin wrote: "But then, mixing up names is common. I never mix up Karins and Karens because to me they are different (or Kristens with Kristins), but I have mixed up one and 2 l Michelles, etc. ..."

For it's the avatar. If you had a picture on GRs of a child at the beach (with a life jacket, I think), then I would have known you immediately. ;-)

Eliana is on Goodreads. We've been looking for Ester Maria though. Do you remember how amazingly smart she was? We've both been trying to find her, both here and on the WTM forums, with no success.

message 31: by Karin (last edited Feb 24, 2016 10:02AM) (new)

Karin Cleo wrote: "Karin wrote: "But then, mixing up names is common. I never mix up Karins and Karens because to me they are different (or Kristens with Kristins), but I have mixed up one and 2 l Michelles, etc. ......"

Yes, that was my WTM avatar, but my daughter HATES that photo now, so I have stopped using it anywhere else. If I ever try to get a new password for WTM and am still there, I'll keep it there. I've been thinking about it so see if there are any "where are they now?" threads on the high school or college forums.

Yes, Eliana was bright and excelled in literature. She read so much. I hope she's okay; as I recall she had health issues which is why she had so much reading time.

message 32: by Cleo (new)

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 274 comments I recognize a few WTMers on the forum from the "old" days but there are lots of new members and tons more curriculum.

Eliana is on the forums 52 Books in 52 Weeks weekly posts. I tried to join in there but wow, there are so many posts that I simply couldn't keep up with reading them all.

message 33: by Karin (last edited Feb 25, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Karin Cleo wrote: "I recognize a few WTMers on the forum from the "old" days but there are lots of new members and tons more curriculum.

Eliana is on the forums 52 Books in 52 Weeks weekly posts. I tried to join in ..."

Yes, she was always active in that. I used to be once upon a time before my password quit working and my last child argued their way into a brick and mortar school.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Horns (other topics)
The Picture of Dorian Gray (other topics)
Freedom (other topics)
Anna Karenina (other topics)
Defence Speeches (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Leo Tolstoy (other topics)
Homer (other topics)
Marcus Tullius Cicero (other topics)