The Women's Mystery Club discussion

A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1)
This topic is about A is for Alibi

Comments (showing 1-27 of 27) (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Pasta (pasta26mc) | 333 comments Mod
I just finished this book. It's always a great read. A lot of people are critical of it. But it's the first of a series and such it's not required to be perfect. Kinsey is a tough nut to crack open. This is the first investigation we get to go on with her. As a result it's not spot on, she made mistakes. It show's she's human. She solved her case where the homicide cops didn't. I'm still shocked at who the killers were. That it was one revenge murder and a double homicide to cover embezzlement. Quite an exciting ending.

Leah Madsen (PrincessLeia) | 17 comments I figured it out too fast. I thought it wasn't very well done. However I continued reading the series and the books get better and better. I can't wait for W.

I haven't read the newest one yet. I'm rereading through the series to build up to it again.

Leah Madsen (PrincessLeia) | 17 comments I that's what I did when I bought J is for Judgement and realized it was part of a series, I think it is the best way as you understand the characters more.

I totally agree. Every time I reread I find something new that makes it worth it.

Debbie | 3 comments I have all the books and have read all but the last one. Love the series. Sad that it will end in a couple letters. :(

It won't...she was interviewed a few years back and said when she ran out of letters she's switch to numbers.

Debbie | 3 comments Well then, I guess we'll have to see how she does those . . . something to look forward too.

Oh yeah..I still haven't read V either...I started rereading the series again.

Susan Have just started this, as I finished this months book, but came to the group after you had already finished The Surgeon (which I have already read) and A is for Alibi, which I hadn't. Seems a fun read and I am enjoying it so far.

message 11: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah Madsen (PrincessLeia) | 17 comments Her boks are amazing. The ones I didn't really care for was A(as i figured it out to fast), D(parts I felt were too sad), and L (storyline and conclusion didn't sit well with me).

Susan It's always nice to find a new author, isn't it?

Michael (DrummerGuy) | 1 comments I have read all of Sue Graffton's "Alphabet" series except the last one, "V is For Vengeance". Just started it. Have enjoyed the whole lot of mysteries. Following Kinsey Malone through all her trials & tribulations.

Susan Series books are quite comforting I think - you get to know the characters, etc. I teach reading and I often encourage children just beginning to read fluently to find a series they enjoy, as the fact they know the names, the general idea of what will happen, etc give them some security and encourage them to read on.

Awesome Susan. I did the same thing when I teaching. But the kids already had a series they loved...Harry Potter. They got me hooked.

Susan I think I have the only children that never liked Harry Potter, lol!

Linda Boyd (lboyd5900attnet) | 19 comments Since I signed up to Goodreads, I decided to listen to the audio versions of the alphabet series. They are a fun read, I am at the letter F

message 18: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (YoungMama22) I just joined this group and have considered reading this series for awhile now, didn't know anyone who read it before to get some insight. I'm glad I found this group so now I have a bit of detail on it. Thanks!

message 19: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah Madsen (PrincessLeia) | 17 comments F was good, the end was surprising.

Linda Boyd (lboyd5900attnet) | 19 comments I'm looking forward to listening to the letter F, I have picked it up from the library - have a few to listen to before I get to it.

message 21: by Liz (new)

Liz Read this book years ago when it first came out. Back then there were very few books featuring female detectives. I have since read and loved everyone of the series. About once a year I go back and read my way through the series again. It's always fun to revisit.

message 22: by Jojo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jojo Nicholas (Mystichaze) | 7 comments i just started this book not to long ago i am hoping to catch up to the group soon.

message 23: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa | 5 comments I just joined this group and this was my first read in an attempt to catch up. It didn't drag me in like a lot of other books I've read. Looking at the reviews, it seems this is a slow starter to a great series? How many books before they get good? Wondering if I should stop now or attempt another. . .

They are a slow starter series but they are good. Each book has a different pace. She does lots of character development. You really get to know the characters. They don't drag for long. Only the first couple are a tad slow. Don't give up! :)

Jessica | 11 comments All right I think I am going to give this series a try. I am interested to see how it goes.

Jessica | 11 comments I finished the first book a fee days ago and I am really liking the character of Kinsey. Can't wait to see the character development.

France (kittyk4att) | 3 comments Same here. I really like Kinsey's character, and I found the story entertaining. I was quite happy with the way the story went. I thought for a long while that Grafton was gonna go with Scorsoni the same way J.D. Robbs did with Roarke in Naked in Death, but I'm happy she didn't (not that I don't like the In Death series, but I don't want to read the same things over and over again in different series).

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Naked in Death (other topics)