75 Books discussion

Archive (2012 Challenge) > Verona's 75 in 2012

Comments (showing 1-50 of 70) (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Verona (last edited Jan 17, 2012 07:33AM) (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments Hi all, I was delighted to see a "75" group. I had a goal of 52 last year and ended with 56, I think 75 will be a challenge but I have a stack of Shel Silverstein's that can boost my numbers if things get really bad.

I started the year with the (1)The Night Circusby Erin Morgenstern which I loved... If every book could be like that then this could be a great year. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone else's choices too. Thanks for letting me join your group!!!

message 2: by Angie H (new)

Angie H | 258 comments Welcome to the group Verona! Good luck on your challenge!

message 3: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 643 comments Welcome! Good luck hitting your goal!

message 4: by Verona (last edited Jan 17, 2012 07:36AM) (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments Thank you Angie and Charleen.

2. Wishin' and Hopin' Wally Lamb. I needed a quick cheery funny read and this did the
3. A Darkness More Than NightMichael Connolly (Harry Bosch #7)
I never thought crime novels were my thing but now I'm hooked and have to keep going till I get through them all ( dotted throughout the year).[

message 5: by Christy (new)

Christy (miss_c_3) Welcome to the group! Glad to hear you loved the Night Circus. I'm waiting for my copy from the library now.

message 6: by Verona (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments Thanks christy, well I just returned it to my library so maybe that will bring you some quick news from yours. The book was great and I'm dying to chat to people about it but not too many have read it yet. But the author is definitely talented and talk about creating a visual for the reader.. Some of those pieces are just so beautiful..... Let me know when you read it.

message 7: by Verona (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments 4.The Story of Beautiful Girl. By Rachel Simon.

message 8: by Verona (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments 5. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane SetterfIeld.
I couldn't put it down but I must be a witch as I anticipated most of the twists! Overall I really enjoyed it.

message 9: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 643 comments Verona wrote: "5. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane SetterfIeld.
I couldn't put it down but I must be a witch as I anticipated most of the twists! Overall I really enjoyed it."

I loved The Thirteenth Tale! I may need to re-read this one soon.

message 10: by Verona (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments 6. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChBosky 4/5 stars.
I'm not sure on whose list I saw this but it caught my eye and added it ( so thank you whoever just read this!!!!) The story is told by the main character sending letters to a friend sharing his life. Sweet, thoughtful, honest. I just loved it.

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2604 comments Mod
A belated welcome to the group Verona! I'm so glad that you found us, please let me know if you have any questions. I can see that you are off to a great start!

message 12: by Verona (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments 7. The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt. 3/5 stars
So over the holidays I had a 5 hour drive to and then back again to St. Louis from Chicago. I downloaded this book for the drive. Maybe that im not used to listening to books but lordy, I suffered through this one. And eventaually reverted to singing Christmas carols ( and 80's music!!!) so I wouldn't drive my self into oblivion. Well I just finished the book today. Might the the last one I listen to vs. read for a long time.

And thanks for the welcome Andrea, I'm thrilled I found you guys too.

message 13: by Verona (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments 8. The Lady of Bolton Hill by Elizabeth Camden. Simple book with a moral... Not my kind of book

message 14: by Verona (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments 9. The Leftovers by Tom Perotta 3/5
I enjoyed this book but found it sad and depressing at the same time. But it opened my eyes to how people react when they are left behind/leftover! Not trying to be cryptic but wouldn't want to ruin it for anyone, however, the book definitely left me thinking. Not for those who like things wrapped up in a bow at the end.

message 15: by Verona (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments 10.American Gods by Neil Gaiman. 3.5/5 I had read Neverwhere by this author previously and really liked it, this one I like too. He definitely understands fantasy and is very creative. I have been reading this book since early January but would read others in between as it isn't my favorite genre.... But I always wanted to know what was going to happen next so it kept me coming back.... Ok, on to the next one.

message 16: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1467 comments Mod
Verona wrote: "10.American Gods by Neil Gaiman. 3.5/5 I had read Neverwhere by this author previously and really liked it, this one I like too. He definitely understands fantasy and is very creative...."

Gaiman is always INTERESTING . . .

message 17: by Verona (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments 11. Signed, Mata Hari by Yannick Murphy.

message 18: by Verona (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments 12. The Tiger's Wife byTéa Obreht 3/4 stars.

message 19: by Verona (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments 13. Every Last One by Anna Quindlen 3 stars- maybe 4.

message 20: by Verona (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments 14. City of Bones by Michael Connelly? Yes I'm still on my Michael Connelly stint. Who knew I like crime writing so much??

message 22: by Verona (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments 16. The WaveWalter Mosley 1 star. Help I need a decent book to read. Last books that I loved were The night circus and cutting for stone..... Anyone got suggestions??????

message 24: by Andrea (new)

verona, I have The Leftovers by Tom Perotta right next to me, we'll have to chat after I read it!

message 26: by Verona (new)

message 27: by Joy (new)

Joy (joyful_reader) | 1054 comments Wow! You are really showing this challenge who's boss!

message 28: by Verona (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments Joy wrote: "Wow! You are really showing this challenge who's boss!". Thanks Joy, I was definitely on a good run. I'm reading now instead of tv.. So good not to be watching for the sake of it.

message 29: by Verona (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments 21. Echo Park byMichael Connelly
22. Defending Jacob: A Novel byWilliam Landay. Really enjoyed this one 4/5 stars although it did stress my out while reading it.

message 30: by Angie H (new)

Angie H | 258 comments Verona wrote: "21. Echo Park byMichael Connelly
22. Defending Jacob: A Novel byWilliam Landay. Really enjoyed this one 4/5 stars although it did stress..."

I have Defending Jacob sitting on my table right now waiting to be read.. I don't think it is my typical read but it looks REALLY good! Glad to see you enjoyed it! =)

message 31: by Verona (new)

message 32: by Verona (last edited Apr 16, 2012 08:30PM) (new)

message 34: by Verona (last edited May 16, 2012 09:14PM) (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments 32. Tricked by Kevin Hearne. I love love love me some Iron Druid..not as good as Hounded or Hexed but love the running dialog between Atticus and Oberon.

message 35: by Verona (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments 33. Sick Puppy by Carl Hiaasen 3ish stars, started out good but.....not sure, overall a decent read however was excited to move onto my next book. I suppose I can't gush about every book.

message 37: by Verona (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments 35. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout. This book had been on my to be read for a long while. I wanted more from this book. 2-3 stars.

message 38: by Verona (last edited Jun 03, 2012 06:40PM) (new)

message 39: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1467 comments Mod
Verona wrote: "36. Nemesis byJo Nesbø 3 stars
37. These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf
38.The Mill River Recluse by Darcie Chan"

Verona, I read "The Mill River Recluse" this year, too. What did you think of it?

message 40: by Verona (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments Kay wrote: "Verona wrote: "36. Nemesis byJo Nesbø 3 stars
37. These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf
38.The Mill River Recluse by Darcie Chan"

Verona, I read "The Mill River Recluse" this year, too. What di..."

Hi Kay, I liked the book overall and gave it 3 stars. I think I was waiting for something bigger to happen in it though. Plus her life made me sad which is what the author was trying to evoke. I suppose it's mean of me to say I wanted there to be more, but I felt a lot of it was predictable except the revelation ( won't say more so as not to spoil for others).. What did you think?

message 41: by Verona (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments Out of order but who cares except for my OCD self........

39. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn 4 stars.
Loved how this book was written.

40.The Magicians by Lev Grossman 3 stars

41. The Devils Star by Jo Nesbø 2 stars- disappointing.

message 42: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 643 comments Verona wrote: "Out of order but who cares except for my OCD self........

I've been hearing lots of good things about Gone Girl, but I have a question: how did you like the characters? Because I read another book by Flynn (Dark Places) and while I thought the story was good, I hated every character. I think I'd be more willing to give Gone Girl a chance if I thought I'd be able to connect with the characters more.

message 43: by Verona (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments Charleen wrote: "Verona wrote: "Out of order but who cares except for my OCD self........

I've been hearing lots of good things about Gone ..."

Gosh Charleen, what a great question. I have to say, I didn't like all the characters in this book, with the main ones I really feel that the author was gong for exactly that feeling. They annoyed me at times, weak at others, manipulative, blah, sad and of course the odd reflection where I said - give me a break. I have some much more to say about the book but really don't want to give anything away. A couple of unexpected moments but another where I was like - come on!!!!!!! But I really liked the writing, and for me, that gives me a big smile!!!!! Give it a go, I sucked it down in a couple of hours over a few days... I didn't love every aspect of the book, but any book that makes me not want to put it down so I can sleep - has got to be half decent...and considering I've read a few crap ones- its nice to read a book and be happy I picked it up. V.

message 44: by Andrea (new)

Verona, you are reading a lot of the books on my wish list!!! I'm going to have to come back and reread your comments when I get to the book.

message 45: by Verona (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments Andrea wrote: "Verona, you are reading a lot of the books on my wish list!!! I'm going to have to come back and reread your comments when I get to the book."

Andrea, I'm always looking for good suggestions, so I will have to keep up with your books since we are on a similar wavelength!!!
Hope all is good with you. V

message 46: by Verona (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments 42. The Snowman by Jo Nesbø 3 1/2 stars.

message 47: by Verona (new)

Verona (Irish2703) | 62 comments 43. On the Jellicoe Road byMelina Marchetta. I gave ths book 3.5 stars. I wasn't able to make sense of the first couple of chapters easily for some reason. But as I got into the book a little more, I really enjoyed it. I shed quite a few tears too.

message 49: by Verona (new)

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Story of Beautiful Girl (other topics)
The Thirteenth Tale (other topics)
The Perks of Being a Wallflower (other topics)
The Sisters Brothers (other topics)
The Night Circus (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Téa Obreht (other topics)
Anna Quindlen (other topics)
Michael Connelly (other topics)
Walter Mosley (other topics)
Louise Erdrich (other topics)
More...