Book Loving Kiwis discussion

Author Corner > Authors - Design a Thread

Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (new)

Angie (Seren-Lucy) | 1146 comments Mod
I have set this folder up for the amazing authors within our group.
Simply, make your own thread (let me know if you would like me to do this for you) and use it how you like.
Maybe you can list your books in it, let us know of your upcoming books, tell us about your writing history, answer questions, tell us how to track down your books...
Promote away!

message 2: by Harris (new)

Harris Tobias (harristobias) | 2 comments Hard core with a heart.
A Felony of Birds, The Greer Agency and other titles by a bright new author. Please check out my books only 99¢.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/Harri...
A FELONY OF BIRDS

message 3: by Angie (last edited Jan 14, 2012 08:12PM) (new)

Angie (Seren-Lucy) | 1146 comments Mod
Harris wrote: "Hard core with a heart.
A Felony of Birds, The Greer Agency and other titles by a bright new author. Please check out my books only 99¢.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/Harri......"

Hi Harris,

Would you like me to set up your personal thread for you? Check out Colleen's one below and let me know if you are interested.

All authors...
To make your own thread: Click on 'new' at the top of the Discussion Board. Enter your name as the title and save in the 'Author folder.
Don't be shy!

message 4: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1397 comments Er.. right, I'll give this a go but I am so darned busy I can't even keep up with the blog!

message 5: by Marita (last edited Aug 15, 2014 06:38PM) (new)

Marita Hansen (MaritaAHansen) | 152 comments Hi, Angie. I got a new book out (published it 2 days ago). Although I love writing about New Zealand, it wasn't getting me anywhere in my writing career, so I've written a mafia thriller/romance story (my Italian degree is finally useful for something, lol). Anyway, it's doing really well on the Amazon Countdown. It's now a hot new release in their Organized Crime category at number 3, and is number 4 and 6 in other Organized Crime categories. This is the book:

RICARDO (The Santini Brothers #1) Ricardo (The Santini Brothers, #1) by Marita A. Hansen

It's my first commercial venture as I was sick of losing money with writing. Here's the Amazon US link:

http://www.amazon.com/Ricardo-Santini...

Thanks!

message 6: by Alison (new)

Alison Cubitt (httpgoodreadscomlambertnagle) | 47 comments Marita wrote: "Hi, Angie. I got a new book out (published it 2 days ago). Although I love writing about New Zealand, it wasn't getting me anywhere in my writing career, so I've written a mafia thriller/romance st..."
Hi Marita,

I met you on Authonomy and loved your teenage fiction book set in South Auckland. I loved the language and the authentic voice of the characters. I'm sorry to hear that books set in NZ weren't getting you anywhere. But I agree it's hard when competing with American writers on the Amazon US site.
Alison (Lambert Nagle)

message 7: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1397 comments Yes, this marketing lark really can kill a book!

message 8: by Alison (new)

Alison Cubitt (httpgoodreadscomlambertnagle) | 47 comments P.d.r. wrote: "Yes, this marketing lark really can kill a book!"

I was clueless about book marketing when I first indie published as I'd never had to do it before as my publisher took care of that. Am still learning, two years on.

message 9: by Marita (new)

Marita Hansen (MaritaAHansen) | 152 comments Alison wrote: "Marita wrote: "Hi, Angie. I got a new book out (published it 2 days ago). Although I love writing about New Zealand, it wasn't getting me anywhere in my writing career, so I've written a mafia thri..."

Hi, Alison, good to hear from you. Thanks, I haven't been on Authonomy for quite a while. Wish I could write more New Zealand books, because I like them better than my mafia series. Unfortunately, the mafia ones sell considerably better. One of my mafia series is being translated into Italian now. The ironic thing is it's the one I least liked writing! I really do need to get back to the NZ series, regardless of whether it loses me money.

message 10: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1397 comments The problem is very simple. Amazon is putting out 1,000,000 books a year. The chances of making money as an author the old way are remote. You can either do a 50 Shades of Grey or other commercial type SF or Romance which do sell more than the other genres or simply accept that selling 200 copies is pretty good.

Of course if you can write two books a year every year and short stories as well and get them all out Indie published you will eventually make money!

It's a bit hard for those of us who write literary or more 'serious' novels! But the pro full time author is fast vanishing. Writers are now people who have to change!

message 11: by Marita (new)

Marita Hansen (MaritaAHansen) | 152 comments P.d.r. wrote: "The problem is very simple. Amazon is putting out 1,000,000 books a year. The chances of making money as an author the old way are remote. You can either do a 50 Shades of Grey or other commercial ..."

I managed to write 5 books (three of them are collections of 5 episodes each at about 100,000 words per collection) in about 14 months. But I'm working all hours of the day to do it so I can attempt to make a living. It's seriously burning me out.

message 12: by Alison (new)

Alison Cubitt (httpgoodreadscomlambertnagle) | 47 comments Marita wrote: "Alison wrote: "Marita wrote: "Hi, Angie. I got a new book out (published it 2 days ago). Although I love writing about New Zealand, it wasn't getting me anywhere in my writing career, so I've writt..."

Well done with the mafia book btw! I've put it on my To Read shelf. Have you done a giveaway on Goodreads yet?
And I do hope you do get back to writing what you enjoy most.

message 13: by Alison (new)

Alison Cubitt (httpgoodreadscomlambertnagle) | 47 comments P.d.r. wrote: "The problem is very simple. Amazon is putting out 1,000,000 books a year. The chances of making money as an author the old way are remote. You can either do a 50 Shades of Grey or other commercial ..."

I imagine that to it's harder to sell literary fiction in the digital age and that being stocked in bricks and mortar stores is still very important.

Although, as a reader, I am reading The Luminaries on Kindle, iPad and in print. And far from preferring the print copy as I thought I would, iPad does it for me as I like to be able to digitally underline and bookmark.

message 14: by Marita (new)

Marita Hansen (MaritaAHansen) | 152 comments Alison wrote: "Marita wrote: "Alison wrote: "Marita wrote: "Hi, Angie. I got a new book out (published it 2 days ago). Although I love writing about New Zealand, it wasn't getting me anywhere in my writing career..."

Yeah, I've done the giveaways. Though, I'm not sure they work that well.

message 15: by Alison (last edited Dec 03, 2014 02:42AM) (new)

Alison Cubitt (httpgoodreadscomlambertnagle) | 47 comments Marita wrote: "Alison wrote: "Marita wrote: "Alison wrote: "Marita wrote: "Hi, Angie. I got a new book out (published it 2 days ago). Although I love writing about New Zealand, it wasn't getting me anywhere in my..."

You're probably right. I still like doing them, though. Although it's expensive to post books everywhere in the world I find that in countries where English books are really expensive readers seem more grateful to receive them and might be more likely give you a review. I found one of my books on the UK eBay store not long after one giveaway!

message 16: by Marita (last edited Dec 03, 2014 02:47AM) (new)

Marita Hansen (MaritaAHansen) | 152 comments Alison wrote: "Marita wrote: "Alison wrote: "Marita wrote: "Alison wrote: "Marita wrote: "Hi, Angie. I got a new book out (published it 2 days ago). Although I love writing about New Zealand, it wasn't getting me..."

I've only had one person who'd won a giveaway review one of my books, probably the one you read on Authonomy: Behind the Hood. She went onto reading the sequel, so that was good. I haven't noticed any other ones, but the reviews could've slipped past me.

I think I have some books on eBay, but I don't think they were to do with the giveaways for me.

message 17: by Marita (last edited Dec 03, 2014 02:48AM) (new)

Marita Hansen (MaritaAHansen) | 152 comments I was only referring to the paperback giveaways on here. I've given away eBook copies, and have had much more reviews via that avenue.

message 18: by Alison (new)

Alison Cubitt (httpgoodreadscomlambertnagle) | 47 comments Marita wrote: "I was only referring to the paperback giveaways on here. I've given away eBook copies, and have had much more reviews via that avenue."

I really was ignorant about the need to get review copies out before I published. It took a while for the penny to drop that marketing isn't something you tack on at the end and then just cross your fingers and hope it works!

message 19: by Marita (new)

Marita Hansen (MaritaAHansen) | 152 comments Alison wrote: "Marita wrote: "I was only referring to the paperback giveaways on here. I've given away eBook copies, and have had much more reviews via that avenue."

I really was ignorant about the need to get r..."

It took me a while too.

message 20: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1397 comments Seriously you need to start marketing PR at least nine months before the book is out. You need to spread out over a lot of sites where your readers might gather and start the buzz with asking readers to comment on cover samples, then on openings. You use Pinterest to show costume and places, Twitter to chat about book progress as you pass on tips, reviews or good sites to visit. It takes at least three years to build relationships.

message 21: by P.D.R. (last edited Dec 04, 2014 02:09AM) (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1397 comments Angie, I did put up an author thread but it seems to have vanished. In fact quite a few threads have gone missing.

Am I allowed to start another one or am I banned!

message 22: by P.D.R. (last edited Jul 04, 2016 12:51AM) (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1397 comments If you want to see how to sell on Amazon kindle there's a good blog article at www.readersintheknow.com following a sales experiment. Simon and the author set it up carefully and give all the stats. It's worth reading.

message 23: by Peter (new)

Peter King (piwakawaka) | 24 comments A thread for my Writers Island radio show would be nice. It's a show for New Zealand indie authors. website is http://writersisland.sitey.me/
for the podcasts. cheers

Lesley~aka Ella's Gran | 1515 comments Peter wrote: "A thread for my Writers Island radio show would be nice. It's a show for New Zealand indie authors. website is http://writersisland.sitey.me/
for the podcasts. cheers"

I've set a thread up under the Author folder. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Hope this is what you had in mind. If not let me know what alterations your want to the introductory message. After that it's all up to you and fellow authors and readers to populate the message boards.
~~Lesley

message 25: by Marita (new)

Marita Hansen (MaritaAHansen) | 152 comments Someone, who has recently read the ARC for Broken English, has described Dante as a male Lolita. I suppose in a way he could be related to her, though he could also be compared to Mena from American Beauty, since he's such a provocative character.

BROKEN ENGLISH is the tale of a young English teacher who falls in lust with one of her students - Dante Rata. It's a transgressive story, because Dante is not only a student, but is also fifteen years old. The story is told from both his viewpoint and Clara Hatton's, his teacher, giving two very different ways of seeing the world.

Clara Hatton is a twenty-four-year-old middle-class woman, who is excited about starting her first full-time job as an English teacher. She is married, but her husband is still in England, so she is alone in New Zealand, starting a new job in a rough South side neighbourhood.

Dante Rata is a fifteen-year-old drug-dealer, and one of the most troublesome students at Wera High. He has a shocking past, which has shaped who he is. He lives alone with his father (a patched gang member), who he helps support, since his father has a tendency to skip work.

There is also a good sized cast of supporting characters, who show just how multicultural New Zealand is, with people who are Maori, Scottish, English, Croatian, and just plain Kiwi (New Zealand). And as the title says, some of them speak in a broken form of English. I play with language in this book, from the dialect used by the different characters to the actual discussions in and out of the English class, where words are misconstrued. There is also some poetry in the book, three pieces of writing, since Dante is an urban / rap poet.

If you wish to know more about BROKEN ENGLISH don't hesitate in asking me questions. It's due out August the 2nd on Amazon.

Please note that the book's genre is literary fiction.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Felony of Birds (other topics)
Ricardo (other topics)
Behind the Hood (other topics)
Broken English (other topics)