Short Story Contests discussion

Weekly Contests > Week Four (Nov. 17- Nov. 23) DONE

Comments (showing 1-19)    post a comment »
dateUp_arrow    newest »

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 311 comments CONGRATS!

message 18: by Clare D' Lune, Is temporarily out of commission... (new)

Clare D' Lune | 900 comments Mod
Calioppe wins! Congrats Calioppe!

message 17: by Clare D' Lune, Is temporarily out of commission... (new)

yup if its over 2,000 words...

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 311 comments i can post it in the 2 week contest????

SWEET!

message 15: by Clare D' Lune, Is temporarily out of commission... (new)

idc if you put it in the two week contest, just put that word in there somewhere... lol : D

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 311 comments That sucks I went 700 words over the limit though. Maybe i should have stayed under, maybe i could have posted mine. Oh well ill try again next week.

*sigh*

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 311 comments ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

message 12: by Clare D' Lune, Is temporarily out of commission... (new)

I'm sorry Chandani... : ( Its time to post the poll... I guess you'll have to save that story for the next time it fits into the topic....

Please stop posting stories, and go vote for this weeks story winner!

message 10: by Clare D' Lune, Is temporarily out of commission... (new)

awesome!

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 311 comments COOOL!!!

Im working on mine right now!!! YAY!

message 8: by Clare D' Lune, Is temporarily out of commission... (new)

whoa!

message 7: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

Arthur | 554 comments Mod
Words aprox. 1220

Not Repeated

RUMMAGE SALE
WILLING REASONABLE
PRICES
NOT REPEATED
NOV. 17 – 21

I was rummaging. I’m moving to Miami. This being here was my last resentful week. My dog died on Tuesday. It’s not true; he could not really ever speak properly. That’s why he developed that urine problem. He’d stare at the back of door instead of calling. Then I’d come around in the middle of the night to let the whinier out. The doctors figured maybe it was a good thing Fluffy went quietly in his sleep.
But that wasn’t my fault. And either was moving to Miami. I can’t wait though. Will I get another dog? I haven’t decided on one yet. But I’ll miss Fluffy the little whinier. All day I spent digging out boxes. Some are old I can’t tell the story. “Why all these boxes?” I remember myself asking out loud. I wasn’t worried someone hearing. Even the neighbors were welcome to come over and share in this dividing of what need go to Miami and what just go. So I stacked a huge wall of everything I was getting rid. I’m not sure what made me stop and decide all these things were actually worth some money. But I’d rather ditch these boxes than go through them. Really I couldn’t really remember what was in most of them.
Like as if I really buried an old check book or something in here. But I was tempted to just unload it all. Maybe I could? A charity? They’d find what they’d want and destroy the rest, right? But if in my fears maybe something would have had value, and I’m not certain about any sentimental value neither. I mean, I need to let go of this collection. I’m moving to Miami.
My senses of distinction was blurred I admit. Fluffy died. And my brother’s call. Well? Yes, after ten long years separated. I thought he was dead. I mean where in the world had he been for ten years? It turns out on skid row. Served him right. I loved that man I admit. But when he split leaving me holding onto debts. Dollars, and scrutiny. I couldn’t deal with, well. I mean I looked for him for two years. I know, he is my brother and I shouldn’t give up. But what if he was dead? And now I learned he was in an asylum.

My sister, and Mysable her uncanny girlfriend arrived, showing up wanting to help unpack or pack my treasure belongings. After all I couldn’t just leave without telling my sister. Could I? No. But she brought Mysable along. Probably hoping to dump her on me for she’d also have some friend in Miami. I mean Mysable is attractive. She has nice teeth. She smiles a lot, especially like a dumb blonde, but brunette, for a woman with bright tops and gothic shoes, they matched on her, but not on grandma.
“Hey where’s Fluffy?” Mysable asked.
“I really can’t believe you’d remember that lazy mutt.”
“Really? I don’t forget a face.”
“Fluffy died. I’m shook up about it. But the doctor was happy about the silent signs that it was a good death.”
“Lord, Max I’m sorry. Yeah, your sister never gives me the right preps before she invites me to places.” She through a quizzical look at her. “and then she drags me out whether I’m willing to go sometimes.”
She was smiling. I really loved her smile.
Text was ambling towards the rows of boxes now. Wondering with concern how to destroy that hill of garbage.
She shot me cross signs of concern that made my nose glow red.
“So Tex, you dragged Mysable along to do your work here? I thought you two were best friends?” that was a retarded joke, I know, but it was all I could think up.
“we’ll help together, Max.” she pointed to the rows.
I needed help, that was certainly true.
Mysable proved helpful. She flipped lids off boxes, unfolded boxes in dozens in inspection. Text had taken out contents. Then she had a bright idea.
“A rummage!” she suggested.
Where could I go wrong?
Within the day, we were back inside drinking beer. Only one thing happened to make me regret doing the work. The portfolio that was in a box marked, “Rods” I suggested I forgot the ‘a’, eh? Anyway, there was some old music I had written, and Mysable pulled them out, dancing in glees. After all, we share stuff. She was pretty, and I wasn’t ashamed. She began singing the lyrics, as I grinned. She loved them. Man I was so wasted when I wrote these.

Ice Scream
The werewolf came
I hope it sweats
I hope it dripped water
I hope it showered all over
Written 10_10 1998

(Ok, that wasn’t good work. But Mysable laughed.)

Dark Star
black tunnel of emeralds and love
passion frenzy that I drove
beloved by a helpful honey
a lovely action of bending

I once wished upon a dark star
It became true in real life
My wish becoming a success
I was awake all night as I waited
I forgot why I wished for my success
And then the dark star lighted true
And transformed me into a dark reality

I felt the ties and twines grow around me
covet gentle taking my hands in vines
my willingness spreading from head to toe
I felt life’s new promises and fate natural
My head ache and there was no real pain
Feelings dissolved into the branches
And then this lichen spoke my name

I made a promise with all my might
On this impossible night to seal a deal
to seek a dark star and bring it to a stop
the turmoil of the space it divides
and the energy it gave and holding
within my strength to give it rest in water
and it willingly will grant my wish
Written 9_10 1998

“That’s nothing but an original song Max!” she said giving me a bear hug. Not the one hug you would get from your girlfriend and tell everyone you were ashamed. With her smiling teeth, her excitement startled me. I questioned her for another minute until I pretended I needed to go answer another telephone call inside.
I fixed myself a drink. It was a lonely kitchen without Fluffy. My nerve was worn on an edge. After all, I can remember writing those lyrics, didn’t I? And even though, after all it was all in my mementos? I traveled on those roads? I made my riches at the side of my bickering crazy brother? Hum?
My brother was in Miami. So I took a chance and went down. I brought Fluffy making it a family trip. It was an asylum. And not one somebody could get out from. Not in possibilities. Probably ever. It was a bad shame, I knew. But how could I explain the complications of his nature? I’d just seen him wrapped up drooling. Now I remember lyrics I couldn’t afford to lose again. Important sheets of music I could share. Or couldn’t? Mysable was encouraging me on. The road my brother and I once were on was a success until he disappeared. I was alone for years looking for him. Now we emerge.

Kali (KaliScott) | 23 comments WORDS: 641

The first shimmering drop falls from the sky. I outstretch my arms and a huge smile devours my face.
It's finally happening.
I have never seen rain before.

I am not talking about that clear water falling to the ground that makes you cold and wet, that I've seen. I'm talking about the rain here in Strange Town.
I've heard that when the rain falls everyone stops, looks at the sky, excitement coursing through them. When the drops fall it seems like a rainbow. Blue, red, green, yellow, and every color that you can think of falls from the sky. When they hit the ground the color splashes everywhere and recolors the things that it touched.
People are no exception. If you get hit by a drop you instantly become that color. Everyone in Strange Town is a color.
Except for me, of course. But today is my day to fit in.

I watch as a maroon drop falls from a cloud and lands on a bus, instantly turning it maroon also.
Another drop falls onto the street, recoloring it green.

I wonder what color I will become. I hope that it is purple. That's my favorite color.
I have never seen rain before because I just moved here. Let me say, Strange Town is way more interesting then Miren City.
Miren City was colorless. Every building was grey, brown, or black. The school buses weren't even yellow.
If you stood out in the rain there, you would get sick and be sent to a bored doctor who tells you to stay out of the rain next time, and you listen to him because the rain just made you cold and you didn't have any fun at all.
The ground was concrete, no grass, and if you found a plant it was often dead.
In Strange Town there are plants everywhere. You can spend a whole day looking at plants and find a new one every two minutes.
The lakes, rivers, and streams are colored like a rainbow. If you go swimming in them you will become mixtures of colors, but only if you have been touched by a rain drop at least once.
The clouds break open and drop a million colors from the sky. I'm too amazed to move. People that have come to see the rain cry out in delight as the rain drops sink into their skin.
People are dancing around the streets and singing joyous tunes while the rain splatters to the ground. Vibrant colors are splashing all around me.
Then I notice that I haven't felt a drop of rain. I look at the sky and no rain is falling above me. I look at the ground and notice that the ground around me is dry. I step out of my circle of dryness and into the colorful rain but the rain stops falling where I stand.
I bite my lip to hold back tears. What's going on?
The dancers on the street stop dancing and look at me sadly. Some have confused looks on their faces.
I look at the sky, a betraying tear running down my face. Why won't it rain on me?
Another raindrop appears out of the clouds. It falls to my face and splashes against my skin.
It feels warm and wet.
The people are still staring at me.
I look at my hands to examine my color. I gasp in surprise.
I have gold skin. No one, in the history of Strange Town, has ever had gold skin before.
Rainbow drops start to fall on me but my skin does not change.
My friend grabs my hands and starts to dance with me as the rain splashes against us.
The street is a rainbow of happy people.
I laugh and dance my heart out.
I have finally seen rain.

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 311 comments yeah i know i was just trying to use some of the HTML stuff. Thats just a random site that i posted.

XD

message 4: by Clare D' Lune, Is temporarily out of commission... (new)

cool, but I'd perfer you post your story directly onto here... That will make it easier for people to read and keep strait, etc...

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 311 comments TESTING!

My story is going to be good ITS GUNNA BE GREAT!

I have already started

BOLD AND STRONG!

the book i am reading is called The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

LINK!
http://www.goodreads.com>http://ww...

message 1: by Clare D' Lune, Is temporarily out of commission... (new)

Instructions:
Please do not use a story previously used on goodreads. After the week's contest, you are welcome to put it on your profile writings, but please refrain from using stories you have already put on there.

You have until Saturday afternoon to post a story on here. Please post it directly onto this topic, rather than posting a link. Also, please do not discuss stories on here. You must go to Weekly Short Story Contest Discussion (http://www.goodreads.com/topic...) for that. This will avoid any clutter and confusion, so that people can simply come on here and read the story, without having to read comments on the story.

This week's Topic is Water. If anyone has any objections to this topic, please go to the Objections post. The rules are pretty loose. You could write about a the ocean, a lake, swimming, tears, or just have the word water in the story.

Weekly stories must be at least 500 words long to 2,000 words long. (if the whole story won't fit in one post, divide it into two)

Good luck!

Clare

P.S. PLEASE say if you would like to have your story on Short Story Galore, if you win. This way it wouldn't take me ages to get your consent afterwards. This includes adding a link to your stories. If you want to have your story on the Short Story Galore, but not the link, just say so.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mark Twain (other topics)