Graceling Realm discussion

Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1)
This topic is about Graceling
Books > Graceling

Comments (showing 1-50 of 69) (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Matthew (last edited Jan 05, 2012 03:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew (matydee) | 54 comments Mod
The first book in the series. I think I liked this book better because of the action scenes in it. It was more intense then Fire.

Becky | 72 comments I found it lacking the emotional and more moral intensity that Fire had as a book, but having said that I do like all the whoop-ass is this book too.

Becky wrote: "I found it lacking the emotional and more moral intensity that Fire had as a book, but having said that I do like all the whoop-ass is this book too."

I did too. I know a lot of people who don't like some main girl characters because they think they are to wimpy and play "damsel in distress" all the time. It wasn't the case with Katsa though.

Becky | 72 comments I know that personally I hate books with weak female characters, thats why I don't read romance books. But you're right, Katsa is the total opposite of the whimpy damsel in distress, that girl can kick some ass!! Unlike Fire, who can kill at long range with a bow but at hand to hand fighting she still needs someone else to do her killing.

Lizzy | 7 comments YES! in- short, I voted for Katsa In "best kick ass character" on those booklist things.

Becky | 72 comments what booklist thing? who else was on there? sorry just thinking of all the kick-ass characters in the books i read

Becky wrote: "what booklist thing? who else was on there? sorry just thinking of all the kick-ass characters in the books i read"

I think this is the link to it: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/14... Hope it works!

Becky | 72 comments ah cool, thanks!

Lizzy | 7 comments yeah they are the listopia votes or whichever

Becky | 72 comments Yeah I remember now, I voted on that, but I don't think Katsa was at the top...she was near the top, but not actually at the top

Lizzy | 7 comments yeah I think she's like third or somethinnnn

Re-reading soon!!!

So I just re-read like half of Graceling then skimmed the final half and I so need to change my four star rating to a 5. I can relate to Katsa a lot.

Samantha The Escapist (GreatEscapist) | 26 comments I think to compare Graceling and Fire based on writing quality I'd have to pick Fire, she wrote Graceling beautifully but she was just a tad more practiced in Fire and the plot had a lot more going on.

I also liked Fire the character a little more, I really connected to her sadness and I'm a pretty content person, it's rare for a book to pull that out of me.

But Katsa's terror at falling in love was such a physical thing that I can't help but see Graceling as a triumph :P Plus little Bitterblue (or Littleblue) was such a great character! And I hate children :P

Allie | 3 comments If I had to compare Graceling to Fire I think I would choose Fire. But then I love Graceling. It's such a hard choice to make.

I liked how Graceling had more action but then I like Fire's romance. How she slowly falls in love with Brigan.

Sinistmer | 2 comments I really liked Katsa! I relate a lot to some of her personal struggles, so Graceling is a favorite of mine.

I haven't actually read Fire because I didn't find I could relate to some of her problems. However, since she showed up in Bitterblue, I am planning on reading Fire.

Becky | 72 comments It's totally worth it! It's more psychological than Graceling but I find it better for it.

message 18: by Samantha The Escapist (last edited May 30, 2012 04:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Samantha The Escapist (GreatEscapist) | 26 comments Sinistmer wrote: "I really liked Katsa! I relate a lot to some of her personal struggles, so Graceling is a favorite of mine.

I haven't actually read Fire because I didn't find I could relate to some of her proble..."

If you liked graceling even a little bit for the writing style it shouldn't matter so much that you don't relate as much to the character in Fire.

But then I choose most of my books by the author first, THEN by story. If you enjoy books most when you relate to the character this may not be the case for you :P

But Fire just stopped me in my tracks with the story and the emotion in it. A lot of people reference the romance in Fire which really is a cut above most of what I've read, but Fire won me over on the character herself to whom I cannot relate all (problem-wise) Well, except how she internalizes things and introspects.

Alexa (Tooka10) | 2 comments I like Graceling a lot more then Fire.

Becky | 72 comments Loads of people say that but I really did enjoy Fire more. I wonder if it has anything to do with the order of reading...strange thought but I have found that I always like the first book in a series the most. With these books I read Fire first then Graceling, then Bitterblue.

Samantha The Escapist (GreatEscapist) | 26 comments Becky wrote: "Loads of people say that but I really did enjoy Fire more. I wonder if it has anything to do with the order of reading...strange thought but I have found that I always like the first book in a seri..."

I read them in order and I loved the second most :)

But I know what you mean, people have a tendency to imprint on whatever they first experience in books and movies - I think it's loosely related to how much our real lives tend to change. We lose relationships we wanted to keep, we lose friends or groups of friends we had so much fun with, we have to move somewhere because of a job etc. In books things are supposed to be happy and for the purpose of escapism so when they author (rightfully) tries to put in some realism by having the heroin realize the super-cute bad boy is bad for her and she needs to find someone better it causes the readers to dig their heels in because that's just one more change they can't handle (and thought they wouldn't have to handle)

That's why I still want Bitterblue to end up with Saf because when I was 17 and in love with my highschool sweetheart I thought we'd be together forever and although I've learned how wrong I was there is still a small piece of that me hiding away in my mind and whenever I read a book with a first love like that she peeks her head out and sniffs the air tentatively.

So I think that's why a lot of people are in love with Graceling and Katsa - she was their first experience with Cashore - and dislike Fire because they resented her for not being a book about the first two.

Becky | 72 comments Maybe I'm just a bit weird because the more realistic they are the more I love them.

Kylie カイリー Yay Apocalypse KATSA AND PO FOREVER!!!!!

Becky | 72 comments HELLS TO THE YEAH!

Becca Becky wrote: "I found it lacking the emotional and more moral intensity that Fire had as a book, but having said that I do like all the whoop-ass is this book too."

Fire was brilliant in the raw emotions that ran through the book the entire time, and as you say the moral intensity, and for that reason, I think I like it a little better than Graceling. But Graceling did definitely have a lot more action, and a less typical (not calling Fire typical, just more typical) heroine, and at times that seemed to make the book more fun.

Becky | 72 comments I don't know, I would have said that Katsa was more typical than Fire. A lot of fantasy books similar to Graceling and Fire seem to have more Katsa like characters, it might just be the books I read.

Becca Becky wrote: "I don't know, I would have said that Katsa was more typical than Fire. A lot of fantasy books similar to Graceling and Fire seem to have more Katsa like characters, it might just be the books I read."

I guess you're right - maybe Katsa and Fire are more like the examples of the two kinds of heroine that you can get - just depends what books you read - but they are both also very unique in their own way.

Becky | 72 comments definitely. Cashore is amazingly good at creating a whole cast of unique people that build up her world and round of the story.

Becca Becky wrote: "definitely. Cashore is amazingly good at creating a whole cast of unique people that build up her world and round of the story."

Exactly. Do you have a favorite character in any of the books?

Becky | 72 comments Fire. I love her internal struggles and morality and I love Po with his almost soft nature, and Brigan for his...just...I don't know I just love him! And Hannah, and Roen and ooh I love Raffin!

Becca Becky wrote: "Fire. I love her internal struggles and morality and I love Po with his almost soft nature, and Brigan for his...just...I don't know I just love him! And Hannah, and Roen and ooh I love Raffin!"

Haha, my sentiments exactly. And I do love Archer as well - at times :). What do you think of Giddon? I didn't like him very much in Graceling, but I loved him in Bitterblue, absolutely loved him. I wanted him and Bitterblue to get together :'(.

Becky | 72 comments I hated Giddion in Graceling, I thought he acted like a child most of the time, same with Archer actually, although I cried like a baby when he died. But Giddion really showed himself as a gem in Bitterblue and I really, really wanted Bitterblue and Giddion to get together. He was so supportive of Bitterblue and really helped her come into her own.

Becca Becky wrote: "I hated Giddion in Graceling, I thought he acted like a child most of the time, same with Archer actually, although I cried like a baby when he died. But Giddion really showed himself as a gem in B..."

I didn't ever hate Archer or Giddon - although I was often annoyed at them because of their childishness. But despite all the jealously and mistakes Archer made, it was still so obvious he cared for Fire, and was still a caring person. I cried so much when he died, it was heartrending. Giddon was wonderful in Bitterblue - I had hoped there was something more between them than deep friendship. And I felt so unbelievably sorry for Giddon who had stood up for what he believed in, and then had his lands that he loved razed to the ground. It was so cute when they were all relieved that the puppies got out of the fire!

Becky | 72 comments I will admit to crying when I found out that Giddion's land was burnt. He cared so much for his people and his land and I think he cared for Katsa but he wasn't prepared to listen to what she really wanted.

Caraline | 5 comments yeah I agree - if Bitterblue ended up with Giddon I definitely would've been ok - he was so sweet and good to her.... Saf was kinda a jerk, but, whatever.... :) I loved Graceling!!!! And Fire and Bitterblue!!!

SO GOOD :) !!!!

Becca I was crying so much over Giddon in this book! He was so sweet, and Saf was such a jerk! I kept waiting for Blue to end up with Giddon... and it never happened. :'(

Becky | 72 comments maybe it will happen if she writes more books about Bitterblue and the seven kingdom's relationship with the Dells

Caraline | 5 comments oh I hope she does!!!! :) I would be so happy!!

Katsa+Po
Fire+Brigan
Bitterblue+Giddon

4ever

Becca *nods* That would be super-awesome. :)

NamChi (lilmisslovely) | 8 comments OH MY GOSH, HAS ANYONE HEARD ABOUT THE NEWS ON GRACELING BEING TURNED INTO A MOVIE?! :D I'm actually so exciteddddd. What are your thoughts about this? Yay or nay? xD

message 41: by Matthew (last edited Apr 26, 2013 07:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wha... ugh. To be honest I'm worried. It is exciting news though. Thanks so much for telling us about it NamChi! Time to start another movie dream cast I guess. Even though stuff set in a time area similar, like Game of Thrones, is really popular right now.

Becca WHAT!?!? Wow, if that's true, I'm going to be sooooooo excited - assuming they do it right, of course. :) And if they do do it right, I hope Fire comes next!!!

Becca wrote: "WHAT!?!? Wow, if that's true, I'm going to be sooooooo excited - assuming they do it right, of course. :) And if they do do it right, I hope Fire comes next!!!"

http://kristincashore.blogspot.com/20... Fire as a movie would be amazing.

Tenzin Lhamo (SimplyTenzin) | 3 comments NamChi wrote: "OH MY GOSH, HAS ANYONE HEARD ABOUT THE NEWS ON GRACELING BEING TURNED INTO A MOVIE?! :D I'm actually so exciteddddd. What are your thoughts about this? Yay or nay? xD"

ARE YOU SERIOUS!! woah! that would be so awesome! where'd you get the sources?

NamChi (lilmisslovely) | 8 comments Matthew wrote: "Wha... ugh. To be honest I'm worried. It is exciting news though. Thanks so much for telling us about it NamChi! Time to start another movie dream cast I guess. Even though stuff set in a time area..."

Hahha yeah I know. But I can't afford to think that. I mean you're totally right about the whole GoT series. Clearly they have the technology to make Graceling appear as realistic as possible. I'm pretty sure if the movie was done right and followed the book as much as possible, it'd be a really good movie. But I'm just being a bit too giddy beause I've always dreamed of these series becoming a movie haha xD

NamChi (lilmisslovely) | 8 comments Tenzin wrote: "NamChi wrote: "OH MY GOSH, HAS ANYONE HEARD ABOUT THE NEWS ON GRACELING BEING TURNED INTO A MOVIE?! :D I'm actually so exciteddddd. What are your thoughts about this? Yay or nay? xD"

ARE YOU SERIO..."

On her blog! :D If it was anywhere else, I wouldn't have believed it for a second haha.

Samantha The Escapist (GreatEscapist) | 26 comments woohoo. Imdb page is up now! just made the first ever comment on its board. (this is a big deal for me - I've been on imdb for years)

Becky | 72 comments NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! They'll just ruin it like every adaption of every book I've ever seen (bar LOTR)!

Samantha The Escapist (GreatEscapist) | 26 comments Becky over the years I've come to appreciate movie adaptations as a creature of their own. I admire them for entirely different features than I do for a typical movie OR book and honestly, it's pretty fun that way.

In the end it only made sense to take that mindset with them though since movies and books are the two things I'm most into. The world where both of those concepts marry is basically my home - even if they're usually bad.

God bless you for being positive about this NamChi. We will need fans like you when the going gets tough. I loved the book so much that the thought of it becoming a movie didn't even cross my mind. I totally like and agree with your mind set Samantha on viewing movie adaptations as a creature of it's own. I used this same mind set while viewing Beautiful Creatures and I actually enjoyed the movie quiet much. I hope the producers work closely with Cashore and do this series justice.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread