The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations & Voting > January Nominations...

Comments (showing 1-35 of 35) (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 1996 comments Mod
Hi all... since we've had several months of classic selections what with our themed months and all, how about we go with modern for January? I'm not sure if we want to go back to two books a month or stay with one, so let us know your opinion on that. Nominating will end around the 22nd. Cheers.

Anna (annabananafish) | 4 comments Hi I'm new here! Is there a link to the list that we're selecting from?

message 3: by Angie (last edited Nov 17, 2008 03:48PM) (new)

Angie | 511 comments Personally I like one book. I just have so many books to read so I have been enjoying one book myself. So I don't know if I should nominate a companion book? If you saw this before I had classics and changed it to moderns. Oops I didn't read the directions so now my nominations are:

Nominations:

1. The Red Tent
or
2. The Fortress of Solitude

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 17, 2008 12:38PM) (new)

I am fine with both one and two books as I am not sure if I'll have the chance to read anything until I graduate in May. (Still packed with exams till Christmas, then I'll have to hand in my research paper at January 30th, another round of exams in February and March and on May 1st, my graduation exams start : (()
I'll still try, though, and I am very much looking forward to reading something modern.
Do the books have to be on any other shelf apart from the "modern" one?
My nominations: (Thanks for the clarification, Heather.. means, I'll have to "un-nominate" one)
(Everything Is Illuminated: A Novel (on "modern" and "bests-for-rory")) <-- Deleted due to list issues ; )
The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath ("modern", "original WB list")
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time ("modern", "original WB list")
As far as I remember, we tried to read the original WB list first... Or did that apply only to classics?
Anyway, if there's something wrong with my choice, tell me and I'll change it : )

message 5: by Arctic (last edited Nov 18, 2008 02:43PM) (new)

Arctic | 571 comments Anna - Hi! and Welcome. We're choosing modern books from the original wb list.

I'm finding that I prefer one book a month, as I'm having a heck of a hard time keeping up with two, and one gives me time to read non RGBC books. I'm lucky to get through 2-3 books total per a month these days. my 2p anyway.

my nomination:

Howl by Allen Ginsberg, because there's a movie about it coming out next year starring James Franco(!) and Paul Rudd (!!). Plus it's also a good romantic lead up for February (Rory/Jess).

geez I suck at this nomination thing. maybe we should have two books afterall so I can read these books I keep nominating that aren't on the list... Actually it's not a terrible idea, the more I think about it. one book from the WB list and one bonus book not on the WB list, sort of an optional read for those who have the time and want to do it. And that way I don't feel like I'm falling behind on the group's official reading if I don't get to it.

anyway as an alternative, how about:

The Bell Jar

since it's a good Catcher followup.

Anna (annabananafish) | 4 comments What about Howl and Kerouac's On the Road? That's one that's from the list, one that isn't, plus they're very similar (both Beatnik) and Howl is short enough it won't be too much extra to read in a month.
And I love James Franco :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I love all your suggestions so far... Howl, On the Road and the Bell Jar are all books I've recently become so interested in : )

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments I'm all for one book. I'm still not caught up yet ;)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) ooh ok..so this was my first time nominating..and i think that mine is not valid..so if its not..I choose:

Songbook by Nick Hornby

orStiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach

Danyiel | 10 comments The Virgin Suicides.

Arctic | 571 comments good grief! I cannot even follow my own directions. The Bell Jar is listed as a classic as well. and so is On The Road

Let's try again.

how about...

Oryx and Crake...since January is still winter.

Gwynne | 63 comments The Secret Life of Bees
or
The Kite Runner: Film Tie-in Edition

Both are books I really should have read by now.

I'm OK with one book or two. Honestly, I usually only have time to read one, but then I get a choice.

Meghan | 76 comments The Fortress of Solitude? It seems like it'd be a good Catcher tie-in (and still modern).

or

The Virgin Suicides

message 15: by Monique (last edited Nov 20, 2008 08:51PM) (new)

Monique (MoniqueReads) | 9 comments I think that I will nominate these two. I plan to read the first one in January (anyways)

1) The Lovely Bones
2) The Secret Life of Bees

I edited my post of reflect the rules. I have a problem with reading instructions

Kristi (KristiLarson) I would like to nominate:

1) Eva Luna
2) The Namesake

Perhaps January would be a good month to read George W. Bushisms : The Slate Book of The Accidental Wit and Wisdom of our 43rd President? A nice way to wrap up Dubya's presidency?

message 17: by Dottie (last edited Nov 19, 2008 10:56PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments I'm breaking my pattern in this group by nominating books this time around.

1.When the Emperor Was Divine

2.The Song of Names

3.The Kitchen Boy: A Novel of the Last Tsar

Jessica | 100 comments
1. Life of Pi

2. The Kite Runner

I have been wanting to read Life of Pi for a while now. :-) I think that one book sounds good. I have so many other books that I want to read.

message 19: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Nov 20, 2008 07:07AM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
These are Rory books that I already own...

1. Reading Lolita in Tehran
2. Bel Canto
3. The Kitchen Boy

Just a reminder: Everyone make sure their book is on THE ORIGINAL WB LIST (click on book shelf, then click on original-wb-list). Thanks.

Angie | 511 comments So no companion books right?

message 21: by Elizabeth (last edited Nov 20, 2008 04:44PM) (new)

Elizabeth Hi All!
These are books that I already own and haven't read yet but I plan to fit them in soon. All are on the original WB-List and are also listed as "Modern".

Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books
My Sister's Keeper
The Red Tent

I'm fine with reading two books in January. Thanks!

message 22: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Ummmmm...It looks like one for January. If we want to start back with two in February, we can. January is a big "recovery" month for a lot of people (and we all have to get back in the gym for a few weeks...then we can start to slack again :>)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Middlesex

How to Breathe Underwater

Rescuing Patty Hearst: Growing up Sane in a Decade Gone Mad

Angie | 511 comments Thanks Alison! I enjoy just one book myself.

Lauren Virgin Suicides OR

The Secret Life of Bees

One bok is nice since that way I can be sure to finish it and maybe a couple others from my TBR pile in each month.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd like to add my nomination: How to Breathe Underwater OR The Secret Life of Bees

Shari (shariluna) Here are my suggestions in no particular order:

1. Me Talk Pretty One Day
2. Wicked
3. Please Kill Me

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

We already read Me Talk Pretty One Day and Wicked, Shari.

message 29: by Dini, the master of meaning (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
Is it time to vote? No pressure or anything, I'm just always excited to vote ;) Thanks a bunch, moderators!

message 30: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Nov 30, 2008 03:21AM) (new)

I messaged Michele. I'm pretty sure the nominating is over. Hang in there...

message 31: by Dylan (last edited Nov 30, 2008 06:22PM) (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) My nominations are:

1) 1984-George Orwell

2) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest-Ken Kesey

3) Secret Life of the Bees-Sue Monk Kim

I have all of these on my shelf to read. :D

message 32: by Angie (last edited Nov 30, 2008 06:19PM) (new)

Angie | 511 comments Dylan! I am so glad you joined us, you are so fun in groups!

Since you are new... the way the nominations work in this group is that the books are selected from the original WB list. So go to this group's bookshelf and pick from there. And this month we are doing modern books so you can look at the original WB list and see which books are modern books. I don't think Blindness or Schindler's List are on there.

Dylan (dmfriend26) Oh, o.k. thanks Angie. I'll do that. :D

Dylan (dmfriend26) I updated my nominations.

message 35: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 1996 comments Mod
Nominations are closed.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.