Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

What We're Reading > What We're Reading in the New Year

Comments (showing 1-30 of 30) (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa What is your first book for 2012?

The first one I finished was The Leftovers, which I really liked.

Last night I stayed up way too late reading Replay--kind of like "Groundhog Day," only the main character keeps reliving that last 25 years of his life, then meets someone else who is also replaying.

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments I don't know if I should count CHOSEN by Chandra Hoffman as my last of 2011 or my first of 2012 as it was a carry-over. I'm hoping to get more reading time now that I'm settling back into a familiar routine after the holidays. Relieved ...

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather Doherty | 96 comments So far I've read The Sisters Brothers and Run.

message 4: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (Mercy20) How to Survive a Horror Movie: All the Skills to Dodge the Kills and In the Path of Falling Objects are the two books I /technically/ finished first in 2012, but they were both started in 2011. My first full 2012 read will be Ready Player One which I just started today.

message 5: by Caroline (last edited Jan 04, 2012 01:30PM) (new)

Caroline  (Caro7) Let the Right One In (are you guys sick of me mentioning this book yet? :D ) is the first I will finish this year, though I started it in December. I'm not sure what to read next. I am debating among The Unthinkable: Who Survives When Disaster Strikes - and Why, We Need to Talk About Kevin, and Hurry Down Sunshine. I have so much trouble deciding what to choose sometimes!

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather Doherty | 96 comments Caroline wrote: "Let the Right One In (are you guys sick of me mentioning this book yet? :D ) is the first I will finish this year, though I started it in December. I'm not sure what to read next. I a..."

We Need to Talk About Kevin is fantastic! It is one of those books that is disturbing to read but stays with you for a long time. I recently heard that a movie is in the works too.

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather Doherty | 96 comments Vicky wrote: "I finished Orange is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison. I am now reading Sister. I am still waiting patiently for a hold for The Night Circus..."

I'm sure I'm not the first person to recommend it, but I wish I had bought The Night Circus instead of waiting for it. As it is, I waited and now I will have to buy because I want to read it 3 more times.

message 8: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Just finished One Day, working on Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog, up next The Darkest Night: The Murder of Innocence in a Small Town. Kind of excited to get to this last one. Ture story that happened in my own community!!

message 9: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 453 comments Mod
I haven't finished anything, in fact I've been reading The Snowman for a month! I'm in a serious reading slump and it couldn't come at a worse time. My 1st book club meeting is on Monday and I've only read 20 of 540 pages :(

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments 20/540 of Cutting for Stone?? Do you not like it?? This reading slump stuff is SO not like you! And for your first book club meeting, no less! I'm seriously concerned ... I think you need to take your temperature!

message 11: by Stacey (new)

Mary wrote: "20/540 of Cutting for Stone?? Do you not like it?? This reading slump stuff is SO not like you! And for your first book club meeting, no less! I'm seriously concerned ... I think you need to ta..."

I know! This completely stinks. It's been a long time since this happened to me. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

message 12: by Melki (new)

Melki I have to read Cutting for Stone for next month's book club. I keep putting it off due to the length and tiny print.

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments Cutting for Stone has been screaming my name for quite a while now, but I've been resisting for exactly the same reason, Melki. I'm going for it early this year ... for sure!
Stacey, get slump-free SOOON! I can't stand this!!!!

message 14: by Annika (new)

Annika My first book of the year was Save Me. It was a quick read but just okay. I hear you about the slump, Stacey. I've been in one for most of this schoolyear. I'm working waaaay more than ever before (well, at least since having kids), so I've been attributing it to that. I had to really struggle to come up with my top 10, cause I just didn't read that much. Also, re: The Snowman - I started one of Jo Nesbo's earlier books last year and really struggled with it. I don't know if it was the book or my slump, but I gave that up to move on. Good luck!

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather Doherty | 96 comments Stacey, I just looked at your TBR and top-rated books to see if I could suggest something to help you break your slump. I recommend State of Wonder and The Hunger Games from your TBR list. State of Wonder is a beautifully written compelling story and Hunger Games is just a fun page-turner. I also highly recommend The Night Circus because it is so original and descriptive. Good luck!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (SquirrelsEnd) Read 3 so far Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk, Magical Crimes by Chris Dolley and Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton. All were new authors for me too. Going to read more new authors this year.

message 17: by Sarenna (new)

Sarenna (djsthree) | 16 comments I'm reading The Concrete Blonde by Michael Connelly. Never read anything by him before. I just wish I had started with #1 instead of #3.

message 18: by Stacey (new)

You guys are so great!

Thank you Heather for the suggestions :) I'm going to give Cutting a good honest start because of the book group on Mon. I'm so curious about The Night Circus(all 3 actually).

Annika, I put The Snowman aside for now. It's not that it wasn't good, but with the holidays, husband, and kids home, I think I had too many distractions. Kids go back to school on Monday.

message 19: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Reading slumps are the worst, Stacey. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I finally broke my year-long one with The Leftovers. I breezed through Replay, which held my interest, and now I'm fascinated by another time travel novel, The Revisionists.

message 20: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (Caro7) Stacey, The Hunger Games will get you out of your slump. I can 99.9% guarantee that. :]

message 21: by Sam (new)

Sam (Ecowitch) | 157 comments My first read of the year was Gorgeous Cakes for the Ultimate Sweet Sensation and I finished The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection From the Living Dead by Max Brooks the other day too.

I'm now reading Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales, which I am thoroughly enjoying and I plan to make a start on The Fry Chronicles tonight too.

message 22: by JZ (new)

JZ NJ (JZNJ) | 33 comments Just chiming in here, regarding Stacey's difficulty with Cutting For Stone.
I read this in the spring, for an online book discussion, and I, also, had trouble being drawn into the story.
It took awhile, but totally worth it because the book turned out to be an excellent book for discussion, one I liked much more after the discussion.

And, agreeing with everyone's advice- The Hunger Gamesis a page turner !

message 23: by Stacey (new)

I think I'll be consumed with Cutting for Stone today(hopefully!) Only 480 pages to go, lol.

Up next...Hunger Games!

message 24: by Dan (new)

Dan Raymo (dan_raymo) | 22 comments Reading through some Christmas gifts.

Just finished, The Art of Fielding ... didn't care for it. Seemed to be verbose simply for the sake of verbosity, and the characters were as dull as dishwater.

Now in the middle of The Night Circus. Beautifully written. Not really a subject matter that would normally interest me, but if you like fantasy at all, I would highly recommend it.

message 25: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (Miranda_D) I've started and stopped a couple of books already this year! I got Bossypants for Christmas, so started it, but had some library books that needed my attention. I got The Ask because it's about a fundraiser in a College, and I'm a fundraiser at a University but didn't like it at all. So now I'm reading The Butterfly Mosque: A Young American Woman's Journey to Love and Islam which is wonderful and so interesting!

message 26: by Heather (new)

Heather Doherty | 96 comments Dan wrote: "Reading through some Christmas gifts.

Just finished, The Art of Fielding ... didn't care for it. Seemed to be verbose simply for the sake of verbosity, and the characters were as ..."

The Night Circus is unique and lovely.

message 27: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laureljean) Still finishing last year's, but I know what this year's will be: Brave Girl Eating and Nomad Diaries.

message 28: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Fly I haven't posted in a while but I drop in frequently to see what you all are reading! My New Year's Resolution is to post here more. :)

So far this year I have read The Ninth Wife which I didn't really care for and The Bookseller of Kabul which I found interesting. I'm currently reading What is Mine and hoping the next book I choose is better!

message 29: by Kate (new)

Kate | 21 comments Mary wrote: "Cutting for Stone has been screaming my name for quite a while now, but I've been resisting for exactly the same reason, Melki. I'm going for it early this year ... for sure!
Stacey, get slump-fre..."

I loved "Cutting For Stone".

message 30: by Heather (new)

Heather Doherty | 96 comments Kathy, I checked your TBR shelf and I recommend When God Was a Rabbit. I couldn't put it down and it made me very emotional!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Leftovers (other topics)
Replay (other topics)
Run (other topics)
The Sisters Brothers (other topics)
How to Survive a Horror Movie: All the Skills to Dodge the Kills (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Devon Monk (other topics)
Rosamund Lupton (other topics)
Chris Dolley (other topics)
Max Brooks (other topics)