Young Adult Book Club discussion

Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, #3)
This topic is about Isla and the Happily Ever After
Anna and the French Kiss > Isla and the Happily Ever After

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Angie | 2691 comments Mod
Are you excited for Ms. Perkins new book?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't wait for the release! I finished Anna and the French Kiss in about 24 hours and am going to read Lola and the Boy Next Door when it comes in at the library. I've only read one book by Stephanie Perkins, but she is now one of my favorite authors.

Amber (jubilantdusk) | 14 comments Between enjoying Anna, and hearing such good things about Lola, I'm very excited for Perkins's newest book. I'm going to have to make sure I read Lola before this new one is released.

message 4: by Aria (new) - added it

Aria (stuckinwonderland) I definitely am very excited! :D
When will it be released?

message 5: by Dianne (new) - added it

Dianne (melove_books) | 12 comments i read stephanie perkins's blog and isla's date of release is moved, it will be on 2013.. i can't believe i have to wait that long.. but it's ok i understand she has some struggles to go through..

Karis (YA Litwit) Jacobstein (YALitwit) | 15 comments Dianne wrote: "i read stephanie perkins's blog and isla's date of release is moved, it will be on 2013.. i can't believe i have to wait that long.. but it's ok i understand she has some struggles to go through.."

It's hard to be even a little mad after reading her post. She's such an awesome person! She is so nice and down to earth. When I went to a signing with her, the line was over 3 hours long, and she never stopped smiling despite the fact that she was probably going to miss her flight. I think it will be worth the wait!

message 7: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (SweetBookReviews) I cannot wait for Isla and the Happily Ever After! Both Anna and Lola deprived me of sleep, just couldn't stop squealing like an 8 year old girl. I was overwhelmed with immense cuteness! Let's just hope the world doesn't end in 2012, because I cannot die happily without reading Stephanie's next book.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

OH no! What happened to Stephanie?? Why can't it get published in 2012? AHHH! How can I wait that long!!!?

message 9: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Angie | 2691 comments Mod
Here is what Stephanie said about the book being pushed back:

Isla and the Happily Ever After is officially a 2013 release. Much of the novel is written, the cover has been shot, people are excited, but . . . it is not yet ready for the world. I could give you the book this fall, and it would be a good book, but I do not believe that it would be a great one.

It's still missing the heart, the love, the passion. I haven't had the opportunity to do the research that I enjoy. To do the multiple drafts and critiques and daydreaming and brainstorming. Those things that make good books great, those things that require time.

I spent much of last year feeling pained and disappointed in myself that I am not a fast writer. My original career goal was to release one book a year for my first five years, and after that I would become an every-other-year author.

But my brain doesn't work like that.

I am not happy when pushed to such extremes. My rigorous schedule turned something I love into something that made me miserable. I remember telling my editor last spring that if the process of writing Isla was anything like the process of writing Lola, then Isla would be my last book. I couldn't and wouldn't go on like that.

The good news is that this sort of over-dramatic sentiment, while true, is the sort that escapes one's lips when one is simply tired. When one needs time to heal.

I made a promise to myself, a resolution, to NEVER work to that extreme again. And, because of it, I have been healing. And I'm falling back in love with my craft.

I'm not sure what month in 2013 that Isla will be published. Again, time will tell. But I am so grateful for my husband, my agent Kate, my editor Julie, my friends, family, and everyone at Dutton and Penguin for being so supportive of this decision. It was not an easy one to make. I absolutely feel as if I am disappointing you, my readers.

So I want to take this opportunity to state very, very clearly: I was the one who pushed back my release date. Not my publisher. They have only been kind and understanding. I made the decision.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I hope — in time — you'll understand.

Happy New Year. I hope 2012 brings you happiness and good books.

xoxo,
Steph

message 10: by Dianne (new) - added it

Dianne (melove_books) | 12 comments Karis (YA Litwit) wrote: "Dianne wrote: "i read stephanie perkins's blog and isla's date of release is moved, it will be on 2013.. i can't believe i have to wait that long.. but it's ok i understand she has some struggles t..."

I agree. I admire her for that. She's nice and honest that she wants to give the best to her readers. Very few authors admit how hard the writing process is. and being the writer of a bestseller put a lot of pressure on anyone..

Tatiana (tatiana_g) I am a little sad that I will have to wait an extra year to read Isla and the Happily Ever After. But at the same time, I'd rather wait an extra year and read a great book than read something half-baked early.

Jessica-Robyn | 19 comments See, this is just another reason why she's such a great author. I don't really mind when I get to read it, as long as I get to read the book that she wants me to read. I totally trust her judgment and I love that she gave an explanation. Although, I don't think she needs to sound so repentant in her blog, she knows that her fans appreciate it.

I shall remain super-duper psyched till 2013, no problem! :D

message 13: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (Rand0m0sityxX) | 10 comments I liked Anna and the French Kiss, and I can't wait to read Lola, which I will be starting once I add it to my kindle. I can't wait for this one to come out! I understand her waiting to release it tho, and it give me a book to look forward to then =] there's so many coming out this year I want!

message 14: by Theo (new)

Theo | 115 comments Does anyone know what the plot line is? I'm assuming it's the same Isla from SoAP. (view spoiler) (The spoiler tags are for a question that may spoil Anna and the French Kiss).

message 15: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine Marie | 147 comments I still need to read Lola and the Boy Next Door but am looking forward to this.

message 16: by Alice (new)

Alice Wells | 1 comments Stephanie PerkinsIsla and the Happily Ever AfterI can't wait!its going to be perfect!

✩ Enna ★ [ ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ᴅʀᴇᴀᴍɪɴɢ sᴀᴠᴀɢᴇ ] (bluewithpinkglassesandamoustache) | 17 comments Was anyone disappointed by this book? Because no one has commented. I devoured the sample, since it was so funny and quick to read and cute. I actually started obsessing over it and reading it over several days in a row. Naturally, I bought the book. Unnaturally, I didn't like the book that I bought.

Veronica | 42 comments isla and happily ever after was not as good as anna and french kiss. it was cute but not amazing.

message 19: by Neha (new)

Neha miraj (nehamiraj) | 18 comments i haven't read this book yet is it good

✩ Enna ★ [ ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ᴅʀᴇᴀᴍɪɴɢ sᴀᴠᴀɢᴇ ] (bluewithpinkglassesandamoustache) | 17 comments Veronica wrote: "isla and happily ever after was not as good as anna and french kiss. it was cute but not amazing."

... Wow. Veronica, I must be extremely judgmental, haha, because you put it so nicely. I thought it pretty much sucked. I actually struggled through that book, and it wasn't nearly as sweet as either Anna or Lola. And I used to think that there wasn't something that defined them as a couple. (view spoiler) I forget who, but someone said Isla was basically just all hormones. I didn't hate the entire thing--I squealed over a lot of scenes, actually--but it seems basically nothing compared to Anna and Lola. And I'm aware that Perkins was suffering from depression and still recovering from it while writing Isla; that's why I thought maybe it could be the best one of the series, because it was while she was struggling and so something new might have come out of it. A lot of good stuff comes from how you cope with bad things, you know? But it wasn't. I think it might have been because she was pressed for time. I hate when that happens, when a writer is so pressured under deadlines that the full potential of a story can't be brought out. I feel like Isla could've been as great, if not better, than both Anna and Lola if more time had been invested in it, despite the impatience of the readers.

Neha wrote: "i haven't read this book yet is it good"
HOWEVER, it is not 100% terrible. There are little moments that I loved, like there usually are in her books. There are a lot of these moments, they're worthy of squealing out loud like I did. It's just, as a whole, the story didn't connect very well. You will ship these two, though, absolutely. It's just the way the story was carried out and how it flowed... that, I didn't like. However, if you have standards (sorry if this is offensive to some people) like Eleanor and Park, I think you'll be set for some disappointment.

Veronica | 42 comments @ Enna
I agree with you. I said it was not amazing because isla was poorly developed. Her emotions were not defined. Her only expression to any situation is to cry. Sadly, Josh was underdeveloped too. But I let that slide because etiene was quirky when it came to relationship too.
Isla though was too doubtful and clingy. The kind of jokes that St Clair made were the highlights in Anna and French kiss. This book was extremely mushy.

✩ Enna ★ [ ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ᴅʀᴇᴀᴍɪɴɢ sᴀᴠᴀɢᴇ ] (bluewithpinkglassesandamoustache) | 17 comments Ugh, sorry, I just realized that I sound really offensive in that post. I didn't mean to sound that condescending or annoying.
I know you agree with me--it's just, you said it so shortly, and I'm like, "I have so many complaints, though!!"
(This is a pretty big spoiler) (view spoiler)

Veronica | 42 comments Enna wrote: "Ugh, sorry, I just realized that I sound really offensive in that post. I didn't mean to sound that condescending or annoying.
I know you agree with me--it's just, you said it so shortly, and I'm l..."

You are right in complaining that this book had shortcomings. What did you think about the ending? (view spoiler)

✩ Enna ★ [ ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ᴅʀᴇᴀᴍɪɴɢ sᴀᴠᴀɢᴇ ] (bluewithpinkglassesandamoustache) | 17 comments (view spoiler)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Isla and the Happily Ever After (other topics)
Lola and the Boy Next Door (other topics)
Isla and the Happily Ever After (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephanie Perkins (other topics)