Here Be Magic discussion

Welcome! > Introduce Yourself

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 61 comments Mod
Three quick questions & anything you want to tell us about yourself.

1. What is the first fantasy book you remember reading?

2. Which fictional character would you like to meet?

3. How do you steal time from your day to read?

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 61 comments Mod

I can't remember which one it was exactly, but it was one of Enid Blyton's Folk of the Faraway Tree series. Then in my teen years I really got hooked on fantasy: Lloyd Alexander, C S Lewis's "The Horse and His Boy", Alan Garner, "Mind Call" by Wilanne Belden, and so many more.

Granny Weatherwax from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Yes, she'd be scary, but life-changing. I do like Granny.

I've been known to read through breakfast. So pretty much any downtime is potentially reading time. I'm generally happy to read instead of watching TV, though that's not true when "Sherlock" is on. I love that show and can't wait for the second series to show here in Australia.

Shawna Thomas (ShawnaThomas) | 8 comments Mod
Hi Everyone! It's great to see you all here! : )To the questions.

I remember sneaking into my uncle's room to borrow his Tolkien books. I was about 8 and had a huge crush on Aragorn. Hmm. Still do. ; )

That's a hard question! Just one?

3. How do you steal time from your day to read? Sometimes I lock myself in my bathroom to read. I read while the shower is warming up, I read while I'm waiting for the kids to walk out of the school gates, I read while I'm stirring something on the stove. In short, any chance I can get.

Cindy Pape | 2 comments Mod
I'm thrilled to be part of such a vibrant group of authors.
1) My first fantasy book? Well it was a book of fairytale bedtime stories so old and well-loved it didn't have a cover by the time I came along. (Belonged to my older brothers first.) Even most of my early children's books were about magic or dragons, so I've been hooked from the very beginning.

2)For a fictional character to meet, I'd have to go with Susan from Pratchett's Discworld. I totally admire the governess who beats up boogy men with a poker.

3)I tend to read at night when I should be sleeping.

Natasha Hoar | 7 comments Mod
Hello, all! :D And a big thank you to the moderators for setting up another fantastic place for me to spend time, er, researching between writing. Yes ... researching ...

I grew up on a steady diet of fantasy, starting with Disney story books and fairy tales, so no one particular book stands out. However, the Chronicles of Narnia, Cloud's Rider (I know, it's SF, not fantasy), and a book about a group of people with abilities similar to mutants in the Marvel X-men universe (in particular a man without eyes that still had 360 degree vision) are a few stories that come to mind.

Oooh, from literature only, or can we delve into TV land as well? If we're including TV characters, then the (tenth) Doctor. Book characters ... off the top of my head I'd say Aslan from Chronicles of Narnia. (And if we're allowed to pick movie characters, Gandalf. ((He has to be deisgnated a movie character for me as I still haven't read LoTR.)) )

3. How do you steal time from your day to read? I try read before or after dinner, usually while waiting for my favorite shows to come on TV. If I'm not too tired, I read before bed. Sometimes it isn't stealing so much as thumbing my nose at the world and saying, "Right, I need five minutes to read, dammit!" ;D

Cindy Pape | 2 comments Mod
Oooh, I hadn't thought about the Doctor! Though I'd go for either the 9th (LOVED Christopher Eccleston!) or the 5th. Peter Davison was just yummy.

Shawna Thomas (ShawnaThomas) | 8 comments Mod
Natasha wrote: "Hello, all! :D And a big thank you to the moderators for setting up another fantastic place for me to spend time, er, researching between writing. Yes ... researching ...

1. What is the first fant..."

Aslan... yup, can I steal that for my fiction character I'd like to meet?

message 8: by Natasha (last edited Jan 03, 2012 12:28PM) (new)

Cindy wrote: "Oooh, I hadn't thought about the Doctor! Though I'd go for either the 9th (LOVED Christopher Eccleston!) or the 5th. Peter Davison was just yummy."

My introduction to Dr Who was via David Tennant, so he'll always have a very special space in my fan-girl-heart (I SOBBED when he said "I don't want to go." as he regenerated). I had to watch all of Chris' episodes in sequence (I'd watched them higgeldy piggeldy previously) before I like him. I haven't seen any of the Doctors before him, and er, very little of the 11th Doctor. (Although we do share a like of custard and fish sticks. Yes, I'm serious. :) )

Shawna wrote: Aslan... yup, can I steal that for my fiction character I'd like to meet?

Yeah, sure! The more the merrier! :D

Barbara Longley (goodreadscombarbara_longley) | 8 comments Mod
First fantasy: Anything by C.S. Lewis, then Tolkien. I'd love to meet Legolas, the archer in Lord of the Rings. I have...research questions. :0)
I work from the moment I get up, to the moment I go to bed. Or, at least that's how it feels, but I do love being busy. What settles me down is reading. I generally read just before falling asleep.

PS. I need someone to invite me to be a moderator.

Barbara Longley (goodreadscombarbara_longley) | 8 comments Mod
How about paranormal? What was the first paranormal you ever read?
If time travel counts, I'd have to say Diana Gabaldon's series, if not, Everything/anything with shape shifters. Nothing specific comes to mind right now.

Barbara wrote: "How about paranormal? What was the first paranormal you ever read?

I can't remember my first paranormal story, specifically (I probably just classified it as fantasy in my mind) ... Does Anne Rice's vampire series count?

I can absolutely remember my first paranormal ROMANCE (mainly because it was also my first romance novel) - The Dark Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning. That book had a HUGE impact on me - it made me want to try writing (paranormal) romances. :)

Regan (ReganSummers) | 13 comments Mod
Hi, All!

I think the first fantasy book I remember has to be A Wrinkle in Time. I would love to meet Sherlock Holmes (especially if he bears any resemblance to Robert Downey Jr.).

Sadly, I don't have a chance to read everyday. Definitely weekly, though sometimes it's a few stolen moments while brushing my teeth. :(

Tia (TiaNevitt) | 3 comments Mod

The Once and Future King by T.H. White. But I didn't really consider it fantasy, it was -- ahem -- literature. The first fantasy was the Dragonlance Trilogy. No denying it that time!

Fizban.

3. How do you steal time in the day to read.

By taking it from my writing time. Did I say that? But you really cannot write unless you read a great deal, so I don't feel guilty.

Sheryl Nantus | 1 comments Mod
*waves hello*

The Hobbit. Which spoiled me forever for any other books/authors/characters.

It's a tossup between Mercy Thompson and Frodo Baggins. I mean, shapeshifter and hobbit... hmm...

3. How do you steal time in the day to read:

My book pile in the bathroom threatens to kill me daily. If it falls over I'm done for.

XD

Veronica Scott | 2 comments Mod
1. What is the first fantasy book you remember reading? The one that stands out in my most wasn't the first precisely but Year of the Unicorn by Andre Norton, in her Witch World series.

Depends on the day, on my mood - either Eomer from LOTR or maybe any of the shifters in Nalini Singh's Psy Wars series!

I read at lunchtime at the day job, or any other spare moments I have when I'm too tired to be writing!

Jody Wallace (jodywallace) Hi, everyone! I'm Jody Wallace, and I have been reading fantasy and fantasy romance a lot longer than I've been writing it :)

Fairy tales. Tolkien. Andre Norton. Edgar Rice Burroughs. Anne McCaffrey. I consider the Pern books as much fantasy as they are SF.

Hm, probably none of them, because it would mean I was officially bonkers. Barring that, I'm reading the Kate Daniels series right now by Ilona Andrews, and I would love to see what it's like when magic "shifts" across Atlanta!

I read at night after I go to bed. Some nights I go to bed earlier than others :)

Tia (TiaNevitt) | 3 comments Mod
Hi, Sheryl, Veronica and Jody! Sheryl, you made me think of another fictional character I want to meet--Samwise Gamgee!

unread topics | mark unread