Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2012! > Beth's 50 for 2012

Comments (showing 1-43 of 43) (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments Achieved in effortlessly in 2010....failed by a good margin in 2011.....trying for success again in 2012!!!

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 1)Life as it Should Be ~ loved that it takes place on Mt Desert, Maine - one of my favorite places in the country!!

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 2) Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness by Alexandra Fuller
~ beautifully written

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 3) Toast by Nigel Slater
I thought this book was disturbing & sad, but well-written, frank and sometimes outright hilarious.....

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 4) The Next Always by Nora Roberts ~ a total fluff book....like a fairytale

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 5) The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 6) Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah ~ the first half of this book was slow-going for me, but I'm glad I hung in! The second half was wonderful.

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 7)Once Upon a Secret: My Affair with President John F. Kennedy and Its Aftermath by Mimi Alford this was a quick read and I found it a very open and honest book.

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 8)A Happy Marriage by Rafael Yglesias - this book was so hard to read at times, but I really liked it. It was heartbreakingly honest and written in a very blunt style that was laugh-out-loud funny and also brought me to tears. It is a very honest look at a marriage coming to an end because of terminal illness. I'm so glad I read it.

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 9) My Week with Marilyn by Colin Clark - I found this book hard to believe. I've read a great deal about Marilyn Monroe over the years and this book seemed a little off somehow. I'm going to read his other book next and see what I feel then.

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 10)The Prince, the Showgirl, and Me: Six Months on the Set With Marilyn and Olivier by Colin Clark. I liked this book better than My Week With Marilyn. It was all about the behind-the-scenes of the making of the movie that Colin kept track of in his diary. It was a slow read, but I did find it interesting.

message 13: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 12)Spare Change by Bette Lee Crosby - a gem of a book! I loved it!

message 14: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 13) The Giver by Lois Lowry - this was a re-read for me since I'm using it for my daughter's LA class this year. I never read the second & third books in the trilogy. I'm going to do that this year. It's quite an interesting read!

message 16: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 15) Iron Lace by Emilie Richardson

message 17: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 533 comments was the marilyn monroe book any good? ive heard about it.

message 18: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments Alison wrote: "was the marilyn monroe book any good? ive heard about it."

I really didn't like it that much. It took me a long time to read and I didn't find it very believable. The Prince, the Showgirl and Me was more interesting, but focused on the making of the film, so there were a lot of technical details. My Week with Marilyn seemed like a fabrication in parts. I wouldn't really recommend reading either, but that's just my opinion!

message 19: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 16)What Caroline Knew: A Novel by Caryn James ~ a quick read with an interesting premise set during the 1920's

message 20: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 17)Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry....a companion to The Giver. I loved it!! Can't wait to read the final story in the trilogy

message 21: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 18)The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf ~ not one of my favorite reads. The characters were hard to believe and to relate to. I skimmed a lot of the chapters trying to get to the story.

message 22: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 19) My Extraordinary Ordinary Life by Sissy Spacek ~ a lovely memoir

message 24: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 21) Defending Jacob ~ I liked this book at the beginning, but found it very disturbing and dry as I worked my way through it. I never really connected to the characters. The ending really threw me and made me think....I had to go back through the book to look for tie-ins and suggestions of the final event. Overall, I thought this was just an "okay" read.

message 25: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 22)The Shoemaker's Wife: A Novel by Adriana Trigiani ~ this was the first book I've read by this author although I've heard good things about her other books. This was a pleasant story. I enjoyed all of the history throughout since a lot of it was about NYC when so many Europeans were coming to our country through Ellis Island.

message 26: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 23) A Life of Bright Ideas by Sandra Kring

message 27: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 24)A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray ~ an okay young adult novel. I won't be encouraging my daughter to read it. I liked the idea of it, but it was under-developed and ended very quickly.

message 28: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 25)Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn ~ a very disturbing read. The first part of the book was better than the last half..... not one of my favorites by far.

message 29: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 26)Roses by Leila Meacham ~ wonderful story spanning several generations

message 30: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 27) There's Cake in My Future by Kim Gruenenfelder ~ a fun chick lit read

message 31: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 28) Home Front by Kristin Hannah

message 32: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 29)My Mother Was Nuts by Penny Marshall~ a very frank memoir about being in the entertainment industry. I loved it.

message 33: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (LindyLee) | 3 comments Remember that are a lot of Seniors like me, cna't afford to buy books, hae to use the library and prefer clasic reads no vampires, witches, or anything strange

message 34: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 30) The Sweetness of Forgetting by Kristin Harmel ~ loved it!!!

message 35: by Beth (last edited Nov 01, 2012 11:36AM) (new)

Beth | 272 comments 31) The Last Letter from Your Lover by JoJo Moyes ~ great story!

message 36: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (LindyLee) | 3 comments Being up to 253 I am done

message 37: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 32) One Breath Away by Heather Gudenkauf ~ a suspenseful page turner!

message 38: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (LindyLee) | 3 comments I am now at 257, you dont' want the whole lsit do you???

message 39: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 33) Chai Tea Sunday by Heather A. Clark

message 40: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 34) Crossing Over by Ruth Irene Garrett ~ terrible book....poorly written and not much of a story

message 41: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 35) Sea Change by Karen White ~ a new one for my favorites list. I loved this story!!

message 42: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 36) Miss Dreamsville and The Collier County Literary Society by Amy Hearth Hall - I thought this novel was very forced. The characters were quite under-developed and the story was forced.

message 43: by Beth (new)

Beth | 272 comments 37)The Little Bookstore in Big Stone Gap by Wendy Welsh by Wendy Welch ~ I enjoyed this book for the most part, although it was a little long-winded at times. Nevertheless, this bookstore is now on my list of "to-visits" when next I'm in Virginia. It sounds wonderful!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Once Upon a Secret: My Affair with President John F. Kennedy and Its Aftermath (other topics)
A Happy Marriage (other topics)
My Week With Marilyn (other topics)
The Prince, the Showgirl, and Me: Six Months on the Set With Marilyn and Olivier (other topics)
Sleeping with Patty Hearst (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mimi Alford (other topics)
Rafael Yglesias (other topics)
Colin Clark (other topics)
Mary Lambeth Moore (other topics)
Bette Lee Crosby (other topics)
More...