Beyond Reality discussion

The Magician King (The Magicians, #2)
This topic is about The Magician King
Previous Books of the Month > 2012-01 THE MAGICIAN KING: finished reading (*SPOILERS*)

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss, Moderator (last edited Jan 01, 2012 12:24PM) (new) - added it

Candiss (Tantara) | 752 comments Mod
Here's a general topic for people who have finished reading The Magician King by Lev Grossman.

Caution: spoilers highly likely!

message 2: by Christine (last edited Jan 01, 2012 06:13PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Christine | 248 comments I don't remember hating the first book so was surprised at various readers' reactions here. I was disappointed in this book, tho. It seemed to me that both Quentin and the author were lost for much of the book.

Sarah | 110 comments The Magicians was marketed to mainstream audiences as an adult version of Harry Potter and Narnia. I remember getting the distinct impression that Grossman was an unabashed fantasy fan, but also that he was somehow allowed to have his cake and eat it too: to write a book that blatantly synthesized familiar elements and call it satire, tribute, and sincere effort all at once. By writing a sequel (and now a third) I feel that he declared his intention to go the sincere route. And I'm not sure he's as good at the sincere route.

Kernos | 241 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "...he was somehow allowed to have his cake and eat it too: to write a book that blatantly synthesized familiar elements and call it satire, tribute, and sincere effort all at once. By writing a sequel (and now a third)..."

Possibly. I certainly found Magicians more interesting than King, read it without any knowledge of hype and thought it satire with quite a few LOLs. The sequel was average and lost all the special interest for me, IIRC.

What is the "third" you mentioned?

Sarah | 110 comments Kernos wrote: "What is the "third" you mentioned? "

Grossman has said he's starting a third and likely final volume.

Helen | 597 comments Finished it earlier (was racing my dying battery!). I enjoyed it, although totally left hanging. I still like Quentin, although there are definitely touches of him growing up.

David Lawson | 10 comments I just finihed this book this morning. Unfortunately, while seeing if I wanted to read this book I neglected to realize that it was a sequel, but that didn't seem to make a difference, but forgive me if it seems I'm missing some inside joke about the series.

The book seemed to be really hit and miss for me. Sometimes, I hated everything about it and only wished the worst for the characters, while other times everything seemed great and I would love the book and the characters (out of all the characters, Julia seemed to do this the most). Sometimes it seemed that it was written by multiple authors with different writing styles.

mark monday (happyendoftheworid) | 64 comments the book was also hit or miss for me. there was a lot that i really enjoyed. A LOT. Grossman has a great imagination. but that same snarky, pretentious tone was still there. it's not just Quentin's voice - it is author's voice, his way of describing pretty much everything and everyone. i love the imagination (5 stars!) but i really loathe that voice. and i will still read the third novel, even though the experience so far has been alternately enjoyable and frustrating, in equal measures.

Carly (WildCityWoman) | 29 comments Christine wrote: "I don't remember hating the first book so was surprised at various readers' reactions here. I was disappointed in this book, tho. It seemed to me that both Quentin and the author were lost for much..."

Well, I didn't hate it - if I did, I wouldn't have read the second - life is short - I don't spend one hour reading books I don't like.

I liked the first story, but I like this follow up better - seemed to have more guts to it.

It's interesting to see the characters mature.

Carly (WildCityWoman) | 29 comments Oh, I'm on for the third - bring it on Lev!

Carly (WildCityWoman) | 29 comments Ya know what - don't worry if you dislike characters - if an author can make you dislike/hate somebody in his book - or love somebody in particular then he's done his job.

A book where you like all the characters would be terribly boring.

Like one of those pious Christian books where everybody knits and none of 'em say 'shit' even if they've got a mouthful.

Life is real - and so should life in our books be real - you can't like everybody.

Michele | 31 comments I just read this last week. I loved it! I found it less depressing than The Magicians. I like both books intellectually, but I found it difficult to really warm up to anyone in the first book. The last quarter of The Magician King really sucked me in...after they meet Penny and realize the significance of the quest. I love that this is a fantasy novel which is also about fantasy.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Magician King (other topics)
The Magicians (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lev Grossman (other topics)