Romance Audiobooks discussion

What Are You Listening To? > 2012! January Romance Listening POST TO FEBRUARY

Comments (showing 1-50 of 87) (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brenda (last edited Jan 01, 2012 10:27AM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments I'm listening to Laura Lee Guhrke's Wedding of the Season. I was pleasantly surprised at a Historical time period that includes an early automobile. Horses are still the normal mode of travel so I can imagine the wariness at the concept of a car - driven by a woman no less. :)

message 2: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 196 comments I'm listening to the same book. Not sure if I'll get the others or not -- depends on how things work out. So far I like it, but I'm not in love with it, and I want books I'm in love with.

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1771 comments I read Wedding of the Season and it was a DNF in print. I'm hoping for more in audio. However, the second in the series, Scandal of the Year, did hold my interest quite well in print and I'm looking forward to it in audio. As to the third, Trouble at the Wedding, I'll be trying totally in audio since it was released with the print version.

I am a big Guhrke fan but I don't think these will rank as high as a few of her older titles. Never can tell though - I haven't tried the third in the series yet.

message 4: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 124 comments I'm listening to The Winter Sea The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley, I started the physical book but waited until the last minute and had to turn it back into the library. No way could I have finished by the due date. Now I'm listening to the audiobook. Going over stuff I've already read.

message 5: by D.G. (last edited Jan 01, 2012 02:29PM) (new)

D.G. | 987 comments I'm listening to Scandalous Desires and it's been so booooring. I'm almost halfway through the book and I don't know anything new about the characters that I didn't know before I started listening this book.

A lot of people have liked this book and that's why I'm still listening. Otherwise, I'd DNF it.

message 6: by paula (last edited Jan 02, 2012 09:45PM) (new)

paula (paula_) | 212 comments Just started a re-listen of Dream of Me by Josie Litton

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1771 comments Paula wrote: "Just started a re-listen of Dream of Me by Josie Litton"

Love that audiobook! The first romance I ever read so the print version holds a special spot as well.

message 8: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 987 comments Hey Lea - Did you listen to Scandalous Desires?

The version I have (which I got from the library) cuts the first love scene - I know because I checked on Google Books. I want to know if this a problem with the library version or with the audiobook in general.

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1771 comments The version I purchased through Audible didn't cut anything. I feel fairly confident in saying that since I had read the book only weeks before. I have to think that is part of the reason you thought the book boring. I have read opinions that either Mick was unlikable (with his past actions) or Silence too passive (and AAR gave it a C but the reviewer was new to Hoyt) but I don't recall boring being high on the list of reasons. Possibly that missing scene was instrumental in the setup of the love story.

But this begs me to ask a bigger question - do library editions regularly leave out love scenes?! I've never even considered that as a possibility. Do they tear out love scenes from their print books?!!

message 10: by D.G. (last edited Jan 04, 2012 11:22AM) (new)

D.G. | 987 comments LOL about your question! As you say, it boggles the mind that they would do this on purpose. I don't listen to much romance in audio but I've gotten several audiobooks from the library with spicy love scenes so I don't know what's the deal with this book. Also, this is a NYC library and this is the last place I would expect books being censored for content.

The first love scene is in Chapter 14 (which is in the last third of the book) so my comments about the book being boring refer to pretty much the first half the book. I thought it was just full of filler - we didn't learn anything about the characters that we already didn't know from the previous books. Also, I didn't like at all that the villain of this book is the same one as the previous book. Seemed lazy to me, although now I know that the story is more complex than it seemed at first.

But I haven't finished it yet. As soon as I realized the scene was missing, I stopped listening.

message 11: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1771 comments D.G. ~Shameless Hussy~ wrote: "LOL about your question! As you say, it boggles the mind that they would do this on purpose. I don't listen to much romance in audio but I've gotten several audiobooks from the library with spicy l..."

Oh well, I tried to defend it! :) I can see your points exactly however.

Can you direct me to the place where you were told that a scene was deleted for the library copy? I'm serious about looking into this! Are they thinking about rating audiobooks like movies?! Sorry - a little appalled here...

message 12: by D.G. (last edited Jan 04, 2012 01:06PM) (new)

D.G. | 987 comments I complained to Overdrive and they are looking into it so I'm thinking that it was weird mistake.

Part 8 (Chapter 14) end of section 2, beginning of 3:
In the end of section 2, she has his...ahem...member in hand and thinking that she will have it inside her soon and then when it goes to the beginning of 3 and it switches to:

Mick woke from the nightmare...

At the beginning I even thought...was he dreaming? But then I listened to a few minutes and he mentioned how they had made love and that's what made me suspicious. Hoyt always writes sexy love scenes so I know she wouldn't shy away from showing one, specially when there's been such a buildup.

message 13: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1771 comments That sounds much better and more likely - thanks!

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 949 comments Mod
does anyone maybe have it from audible and could see if that version is like it as well...maybe its an error in the recording when everything was put together

message 15: by Vikisha (last edited Jan 04, 2012 06:29PM) (new)

Vikisha (lafemmetopaz) | 19 comments Sizzling (Buchanans, #3) by Susan Mallery
Finished this book and I absolutely loved it. I found out of Susan Mallery later than most but I"m on the bandwagon now. I love this series.

Tempting (Buchanans, #4) by Susan Mallery
Will be starting this one soon.

Currently listening to,
Again The Magic (Wallflowers, #0.5) by Lisa Kleypas

message 16: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1771 comments After hitting a few duds in the contemporary category, I started SEP's Dream a Little Dream. Ahhh - a true comfort listen.

I never get tired of this one or It Had to Be You or Kiss an Angel or Match Me If You Can or This Heart of Mine or Natural Born Charmer or Nobody's Baby But Mine. There are other SEP's that I enjoy as well but these seven are my absolute favorites and they always provide me with a completely good time...did you hear me say "Ahhhhh"?

message 17: by paula (new)

paula (paula_) | 212 comments Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "Paula wrote: "Just started a re-listen of Dream of Me by Josie Litton"

Love that audiobook! The first romance I ever read so the print version holds a special spot as well."

I forgot how much I loved this series & am enjoying these even more the second time around! Hard to go wrong with big fierce Vikings!

message 18: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 124 comments I finished That Camden Summer by LaVyrle Spencer, didn't care for it. I'm now listening to Bleachers by John Grisham and at first wasn't sure I'd like the author narrating the book but he's actually doing a fantastic job.

message 19: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1771 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "I finished That Camden Summer by LaVyrle Spencer, didn't care for it. I'm now listening to Bleachers by John Grisham and at first wasn't sure I'd like the author narrating the book but he's actua..."

I've wondered about That Camden Summer since there are so few Spencer books in audio. But I've never talked myself into giving it a try. Was the story boring or did you not care for the characters?

message 20: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 124 comments I think the narration reflected on the characters. I usually like David Dukes but he made all the women pretty much the same, Maine turn of the century stick up the butt sound matriarchs. It was an abridged version and at first I thought that was a bad thing, but I was glad when it was done. I didn't like the heroine, she was constantly yelling at or over people. And the romance, I didn't see where it even sparked.

I read/listened to a more modern Lavryle Spencer (1980s) that I liked more.

message 21: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1771 comments Okay - my reservations now seem warranted. Can't bear one stick-up-the-butt character but more than one - I'm running fast the other way!

message 22: by Naima (new)

Naima (nearhere) | 15 comments Yesterday was a good day at audible. I got One Night of Sin (Knight Miscellany, #6) by Gaelen Foley and Lothaire (Immortals After Dark, #12) by Kresley Cole!!

message 23: by Dee (new)

see, I like LS historicals more than I ever enjoyed her contemporaries...but then I read them, so I don't know if that has influenced my opinion of them...i haven't done any of the audios

message 24: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 296 comments So far this month I've listened to Holiday in Death, Sylvester, Footsteps in the Dark, and Regency Buck.

I'm now listening to my first SOA Listening Challenge book of 2012, An Infamous Army. I chose the Listen by the Number challenge, so this counts as one of the four in the Historical/American Historical group.

message 25: by Diana (new)

Diana (dnneal) | 69 comments I almost finished Pride Mates, the first in Jennifer Ashley's Shifters Unbound series. I am following Track Four (Spread Your Listening) of the 2012 SOA Listening Challenge and this is one of the paranormal categories.

Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound, #1) by Jennifer Ashley

message 26: by paula (new)

paula (paula_) | 212 comments Naima wrote: "Yesterday was a good day at audible. I got One Night of Sin (Knight Miscellany, #6) by Gaelen Foley and Lothaire (Immortals After Dark, #12) by Kresley Cole!!"

I agree! I was excited to see Lotheire added & am tickeled to find Gaelen Foley (one of my favorite HR authors) finally on audio! I am currently listening to One Night of Sin (Knight Miscellany, #6) by Gaelen Foley and it is very good so far.

I see that Audible also just added Lord of Ice (the third book in Foley's Knight series).

message 27: by Lea's Audiobooks (last edited Jan 13, 2012 06:14AM) (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1771 comments I'm going to start off the morning with the scream I felt coming on last night as I finally gave up on the narration of Gaelen Foley's Lord of Ice. I REALLY like this one in print and have read it several times over the past ten years.

From the first moment I heard the hero's voice as well as his brother Lucien's, I told myself "Don't overreact - give the narrator a chance." Well, I did for two hours and finally gave up.

The problem? The men's voices - particularly those given to Damien and his brother - but since this is Damien's book, I'll concentrate on the narrator's interpretation of his character. At this point, it's the one I need to hear performed according to the written character. The heroine's voice is actually deeper than the hero's and his is not only high but whiny! Even when the book states that he bellows, it's only a begging sort of feminine voice. Sort of a "Ahhh, come onnnn, you don't' want to talk like that to me??? Please???" So, so far from the Damien I read about in print. Wish I could post an audio clip of that passage...

Greatly disappointed. As far as I can see, this is the narrator's first project and she doesn't understand romance if she believes both Damien and Lucien should be so completely emasculated with her characterizations.

I may go back and finish - slowly - as I was planning on writing a review for SOA. Fortunately it's not an official review book so I don't have to but I may. Some things just need to be said.

message 28: by Naima (new)

Naima (nearhere) | 15 comments Aw man, that really stinks that the narration is off for Lord of Ice.

I've been listening to Lothaire and am having a hard time with the narration of the heroine's Appalachian accent. It's fake and high pitched, sounds off and irritates me.

I tend to listen to the text to speech on my kindle and for all it's drawbacks, at least the man's voice has a nice pitch.

message 29: by Diana (new)

Diana (Saschakeet) | 116 comments Oh Lea, I'm so sorry but appreciate the early warning.

I see there is a new Diana here. Welcome! It would help if you add an initial to your name and a profile picture so people can tell us apart.

message 30: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1771 comments Yes, I wondered if you had rejoined Diana - couldn't figure it out. I thought Goodreads would automatically take care of that. I'll ask her to add an initial.

And welcome to the new Diana!

message 31: by Dee (new)

started listening to Breathless (The House of Rohan, #3) by Anne Stuart while at work

message 32: by Diana (new)

Diana (dnneal) | 69 comments I fixed it! I'm working on getting a picture now. I want one that doesn't show me dressed like an Eskimo...

message 33: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1771 comments Thanks Diana N!

message 34: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 987 comments Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "The heroine's voice is actually deeper than the hero's and his is not only high but whiny!"

Yikes! That sucks, Lea!

message 35: by Tara (new)

Tara | 17 comments I just took on the Women's Murder Club Series by James Patterson. I enjoyed the earlier books when the focus was on the mysteries, but in the middle books when there was a lot of relationship stuff and a lot of mysteries to solve they got weak and disjointed. The latter books got better, but they are having trouble recovering from the romances. I just think the writing team isn't so good with romance.

message 36: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Interesting point Tara, which brings up a question.

Has anyone here ever read/listened to a romance they really enjoyed that was written by a man?

I'm drawing a blank as I try to think of one and I don't see any in my library.

message 37: by D.G. (last edited Jan 18, 2012 08:48AM) (new)

D.G. | 987 comments I don't know any romances written by a man (although I wouldn't be surprised if there were men writing romance with a female pen name.)

I know people seem to like the Ilona Andrews team (husband and wife) but that's UF, not strictly romance.

message 38: by Dee (new)

Leigh Greenwood is a man, but I don't know if any of his books are available in audiobook

message 39: by Brenda (last edited Jan 18, 2012 11:18AM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments I know people seem to like the Ilona Andrews team (husband and wife) but that's UF, not strictly romance.

I love the Andrews books, Kate Daniels is UF with a thread of romance that takes it's time to get going. Their On The Edge series is romance but you still get a lot of the UF angle.

I wonder how much Gordon contributes to the romance angle of the stories?

message 40: by Dee (new)

of course, right as i'm at a super sexy scene on Breathless, a co-worker comes by...I was totally squirming in my chair...lol! thankfully they didn't know what I was listening to

message 41: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Too funny - I bet we could do a poll on "how many times have you been thankful for headphones and tiny screens" :D

When my Kindle Fire came in I did not know that as soon as it connected to my account my whole "cloud" of book covers would be on the scrolling carousel in vivid color. I had handed the Fire to my 13 year old grandson who was checking out the Apps. He turned the Fire back towards me and said "Do you read THESE books?" with a shocked and slightly horrified look on his face. LOL

message 42: by Tara (new)

Tara | 17 comments I've read m/m romances written by men that I liked (although even in that genre, a lot of the writing is done by women).

The thing about The Woman's Murder Club books, is that I was perfectly happy the first few books. The first had a romance element to it but it that was secondary to the mystery (and there was only one main mystery. ) Plus it set the premise for the "Woman's Murder Club" which is 4 women making a splash in a man's world. It was simple but effective. Jame Patterson wrote that one alone from what I could tell. The next 2 were still good. It followed the same formula, one big mystery, somewhere in the book was one shocking death, the woman together talked about the cases using the knowledge from their particular fields and Lindsay caught the bad guy. And balanced against that was Lindsay's personal life where she repaired old relationship or started new ones. Again it was all very simple and clean.

Starting with book 4 there was a female coauthor and that's when the series started to go downhill for me. Now instead of just one big mystery, there were 3 or 4 and they weren't connected and there was very little pay off for them. Sometimes they are solved halfway through and you keep waiting for that spectacular revelation about the guy or why he did it, but there weren't any. She just caught the bad guy and he was a sicko. Next Case. Also with the female author addition is when the romance element spiraled out f control. It became too important to the point where I realized all my comments were about the romances not the mysteries. Plus the author's tried to shoehorn a love triangle into the storyline that made the main character come off overemotional sometimes, sometimes like a total crazy person, and other times like a big cheater.

The "Woman's Murder Club" went from being smart awesome women solving crimes together to a club that meets at the same restaurant every week, drinks margaritas and gossip.

I think the male authors were actually doing better. Once the woman joined the series became over dramatic and too focused on the romance element and I picked up James Patterson because I wanted to read a mystery. I don't feel like every book I read needs to be a romance. And I also feel like a book can have romantic elements without being a romance.

message 43: by Tara (new)

Tara | 17 comments Not that I have an opinion or anything! Sorry that is a very long comment.... :/

message 44: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Tara what's the violence level in the first three? I'm a pansy when it comes to overly descriptive violence, I have to skip those sections and I need to know ahead of time. :)

message 45: by Tara (new)

Tara | 17 comments Hi Brenda,

Well, the first 3 have pretty splashy murders and the detective and medical examiner talk about what they see. They describe blood (amounts and patterns) , and stabbings and shootings (locations on the body and what that probably did to the person), and occasionally they describe the scene of the actual murder pretty thoroughly. You also get the perspective of the criminal leading up to the crime at times as well. Does that help?

message 46: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Thanks Tara, that is just what I needed to know.

message 47: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 296 comments I'm finishing up Then Came You and while I'm enjoying the story, I don't care for Rosalyn Landor's narration. I'll get the second book of the series in print.

I think I'm out of luck for Lisa Kleypas on audio because I'm not fond of Susan Duerden's narration, either. I know I'm in the minority on that, but her voice comes across as so affected and has a strange sing-songy modulation. My daughter doesn't mind it, and says she sounds like a typical BBC newsreader, but I find it too distracting.

message 48: by Dee (new)

i think I have mine 'til midnight in audio and I stopped listening after about 15 minutes, because I hated how Cam sounded...he was supposed to be this sexy gypsy and he sounded like an uptight british toff

message 49: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1771 comments Just finished Jeaniene Frost's Halfway to the Grave - a definite success and while I was waiting to purchase the second in that series, One Foot in the Grave, I started a relisten of SEP's Call Me Irresistible. It's better the second time since I'm not as bothered by all the secondary characters from 4 previous books.

I'm leaving on a trip and plan to start One Foot in the Grave today while on the road.

message 50: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1771 comments Carrie wrote: "I'm finishing up Then Came You and while I'm enjoying the story, I don't care for Rosalyn Landor's narration. I'll get the second book of the series in print.

I think I'm out of luc..."

I couldn't bring myself to listen to Then Came You, one of my favorite Kleypas books. If a survey had been taken two years ago on historical romances I most wanted to see in audio, it would have been on that list. But I won't even consider listening to it - I can't let Landor ruin my vision of Alex.

I saw the audio version of Then Came You referred to as a serious book and while it does have a serious side to it, I remember it as "laugh out loud" with the back and forth between Alex and Lily.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Winter Sea (other topics)
Dream of Me (other topics)
Sizzling (other topics)
Tempting (other topics)
Again the Magic (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

James Patterson (other topics)