Fantasy Book Club discussion

What are you reading in... > What Are You Reading in January 2012?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 101) (101 new)    post a comment »

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 564 comments New Years, new goals, new challenges, new thread, and new books to be read. I'm wondering what everyone has plan on their plates for the beginning of a brand new years, as the slate is reset, wiped clean for a fresh new years.

message 2: by Kevin (last edited Jan 01, 2012 05:48AM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 564 comments To start off, I'm reading Clan of the Cave Bear. I'm hoping to read all six books in the series sometimes this year.

Helen | 458 comments I'm starting with various group reads - Night circus, Mad Ship, Magician King, Part 3 & 4 of Riyria, not sure if I'll have time for anything else.

Jean Hontz (Majkia) I've begun Iagoby David Snodin and Black Lung Captain.

Traci I'm finishing Malazan. Started Dust of Dreams this morning. I plan to read Theft of Swords. And then on to some Tolkien. Been in the mood for The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Going to read The Silmarillion and The Children of Húrin for the first time.

This new year my plan is to read favorites and finish/start series I meant to last year. I'm being a little more picky.

Katie Stewart (Katiewstewart) | 19 comments As part of the Australian Women Writers Challenge, I'm going to be reading Foxmask by Juliet Marillier. It's the sequel to Wolfskin which I read last year and really enjoyed.

Stephen | 164 comments Finally got started on A Dance With Dragons. The plan to read The Wise Man's Fear and get back into the Malazan series. Up to book four, House of Chains, hope to get through the series this year. Happy New Year to all.

Sandra  (Sleo) | 2229 comments Man, y'all are up early this New Year's Day! Happy New Year everyone.

I've been reading David Weber's Honor Harrington series and feel like I've eaten too much popcorn. About to finishes Ashes of Victory and then am taking a break with Seabiscuit: An American Legend for a little dose of reality.

Am listening to The Tiger's Wife and it is quite good so far.

Becky (groundhawg) I am on Book 3 of ASOIF series, and half way through the Color of Magic.

I plan on starting the year by reading The Giver, which had a huge impact on me as a child. It was the Kindle Daily Deal and I thought it woudl be interesting to see my reaction to the book 15ish years after reading it the first time.

After that I am probably going to take a small break from fantasy and read some more history books. Poor things got a bit neglected in 2011, and I do love them!

Series I intend to finish in 2012: ASOIF, Mistborn
Series I want to start reading: Joe Abercrombie, Deeds of Paksenarrion.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been slamming through the Fever series and am currently on book 3, Faefever. These books are addictive! I plan to start Stephen King's new one, I downloaded it to my kindle already. Plus I'm reading Getting Things Done so hopefully I will have a more productive and stress free new year!

message 11: by Elise (last edited Jan 01, 2012 12:15PM) (new)

Elise (ghostgurl) | 567 comments The other day I finished Green Rider by Kristen Britain. I found it very enjoyable. I loved the adventurous aspect in the first 1/4 of the book. :)

Now, I've just moved on to the next in the series First Rider's Call. I may just read this series straight through on my Kindle. I don't normally read series straight through, but on the Kindle it's quicker. We'll see how that works out...

I don't make plans for what I read usually unless one of my favorite authors has a new book out. Then I usually bump it to the front. So, I'm planning to read The Alloy of Law (which I received for Christmas) after I finish The Omen Machine.

This year I plan to continue juggling books like I usually do, as I can never read only one book at a time :P

Kate | 54 comments I really like the Green Rider series! I hope you enjoy the rest.

I'm re-reading Harry Potter for the 5000th time :)

Helen | 458 comments Becky, you can't read all the series of ASOIF as it isn't finished. You'll have to join the large crowd of us waiting an ending.

Faith McKay (faithmckay) | 5 comments I'm reading Temple of the Winds (the 4th Sword of Truth), Kindred by Octavia E Butler, Anansi Boys, and The Night Circus--which I am SO excited to finally read.

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 564 comments Faith wrote: "I'm reading Temple of the Winds (the 4th Sword of Truth), Kindred by Octavia E Butler, Anansi Boys, and The Night Circus--which I am SO excited to finally read."

How do you like Goodkind? I know there are a lot of dislike for his books.

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 564 comments I'm reading Valley of the Horses, and Bag of Bones, which I just picked up.

Becky (groundhawg) Helen,

Lol I know, but I will be happy to reach the end of what there is :). Besides finishing sounds better than "left hanging" haha.

Helen | 458 comments I was gutted when left hanging as I'd read thinking it was a trilogy! I'm waiting for the end now and starting from scratch.

Alex Ristea (alexristea) | 63 comments I'm going to finish the Malazan series, though I'll probably read a few stand-alone novels in between some of the books.

I'm planning to read The Lies of Locke Lamora and the new Brent Weeks book, though I probably won't be able to squeeze them in January.

Paul | 46 comments I am currently reading The Stars, My Destination by Alfred Bester following it up with Asimov's The End of Eternity. I may then finish up the Ray Feist trilogy (the one that started with Flight of the Nighthawks).

Joseph | 764 comments First up is the Hunger Games trilogy, which should be pretty fast going -- I'm about 100 pages from the end of book 1. Plans for the future include but are not limited to Joe Abercrombie, James Enge, Mark Hodder and Sam Sykes. And probably a Tolkien reread which, like Traci, starts with The Silmarillion in my case.

And I reserve the right to change any or all of that upon my slightest whim . . . My only firm goal is to read 52 books this year.

Elizabeth Baxter (smallblondehippy) | 96 comments Kevin wrote: "To start off, I'm reading Clan of the Cave Bear. I'm hoping to read all six books in the series sometimes this year."

Ooh, I'd be interested to know what you think of it. I really struggled with the whole series, but I know it's very popular generally.

Elizabeth Baxter (smallblondehippy) | 96 comments I'm planning on finishing the Malazan series now that the last book is out. I'm currently re-reading and am on House of Chains. Then I'm hoping to finish A Song of Ice and Fire, although I suspect I'll need to re-read that too because it was sooooo long between books.

Also want to start reading more indie authors on my brind new shiny Kindle!

Soumi (TheBarbieQueen) | 9 comments I finished my ARC of Incarnate (Newsoul, #1) by Jodi Meadows
here is my review http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
now reading Everneath (Everneath, #1) by Brodi Ashton

Joseph | 764 comments And The Hunger Games is finished and I segued directly into Catching Fire.

Ann-Marie | 4 comments I just started The Return of the Black Company & I will finish this series for sure. I am leaning towards the Malazan series next but I have heard good things about the Inheritance books so they are on the list also.

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 564 comments The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Krista, Ambassador of Shimmy (FindYourShimmy) | 55 comments In audio, I just finished Rebel Angels. While waiting for the final book in the series (The Sweet Far Thing) to arrive via interlibrary loan, I'm starting Garden Spells.

In Kindle, I'm reading Fifty Shades of Grey, which requires regular set down and walk away moments due to the steamy nature. ;o) I'm also starting Neverdark for the breaks from the Grey book.

In physical, I'm still slowly progressing through the short stories in Nightmares and Dreamscapes. I'm also reading Sister Citizen: Shame, Stereotypes, and Black Women in America for a book club, and when I finish it I need to start Reality Bites Back: How Guilty Pleasure TV is Making Us Sexist, Shallow, and Socially Irresponsible for the same club.

It's funny, I used to be a one book at a time kind of person. Now I find it fairly easy to juggle the different books at the same time without getting overly distracted by one or confusing the story lines. I'm guessing it helps I do them in different formats (audio vs reading) and in differing subject matter.

Chris (ThatChris) I'm currently reading The Rift Walker. I really enjoyed the first book and the second has been a fun read so far.

Tish | 52 comments I just finished Will Grayson, Will Grayson in audio and Assassin's Apprentice and am now awaiting Royal Assassin, Daughter of Smoke and Bone and Hogfather from the library. Started Orange Petals in a Storm on my Kindle while I wait.

Veronika | 3 comments I'm currently reading The Magician's Apprentice by Trudi Canavan. I like it so far, although some people say it's a slow paced book, but I like these kinds of books :)

D.G. I'm listening to Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor which is simply fantastic.

Then I'm also hoping to listen to Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling (I'm reading the series for the first time) and something by Brent Weeks.

I think that will be my fantasy for the month. :)

message 36: by Josh (last edited Jan 05, 2012 09:41AM) (new)

Josh Jordan | 17 comments Finishing The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8) by Robert Jordan

Then going to start A Time to Kill by John Grisham. Grisham is not my favorite, but the book is required for one of my classes, so I figure I would finish it before school ever started.

message 37: by Sunny (last edited Jan 05, 2012 03:49PM) (new)

Sunny | 3 comments I just finished The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins and Light of Eidon (Legends of the Guardian-King, Book 1) by Karen Hancock. I am currently reading The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson which has been slow reading for me because I find Stephenson to be bombastic. I am about to start on The Gateway (Harbinger of Doom, #1) by Glenn G. Thater.

Joseph | 764 comments Wrapped up Catching Fire (which was mostly good but I had some reservations) and went straight into Mockingjay -- thank you, Amazon Prime Lending Library!

Clint (Northwoodsdork) | 11 comments I am reading vintage Sci-Fi this month. At the moment I am reading The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Then I think Journey to the Centre of the Earth

Joseph | 764 comments Finished Mockingjay and just for something completely different, started Dawn by H. Rider Haggard. I've read several of his books in the past, mostly the usual suspects (She, King Solomon's Mines, etc.). Dawn is, I believe, his first novel and doesn't have any of the adventure or lost race elements he later became known for; we'll see how it turns out . . .

Josh Jordan | 17 comments Just finished Child of God

Started Blood Meridian

Jacinta Hoare | 21 comments Happy New Year to everyone.

I have just finished the first instalment of the Malazan series and while it was an ordeal to wade through I am advised that subsequent instalments are better therefore I am going to persist with the series this year.

I also have The Blade Itselfqueued up ready to go.

My main aim this year is to keep my purchases of actual hard copy books to a minimum. I had to declutter at the end of last year and getting rid of books just breaks my heart every time. I figure that if I buy ebooks or borrow from the library I might just avoid the misery of decluttering later on.

message 43: by Kevin (last edited Jan 09, 2012 04:55PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 564 comments A Fire Upon the Deep and Armor

message 44: by Traci (last edited Jan 09, 2012 07:53PM) (new)

Traci Jacinta wrote: "Happy New Year to everyone.

I have just finished the first instalment of the Malazan series and while it was an ordeal to wade through I am advised that subsequent instalments are better therefor..."

I just finished the whole series and loved it! The next two are easier to understand and keep up with. You should know if it's for you then. Good luck. (I'm actually planning to reread them all in a few months...or sooner. Lol.)

But for now I started The Hobbit and the second half of Theft of Swords.

Kelly (Kelly_) | 3 comments Happy New Year

I just finished A Feast for Crows, and started Wide Sargasso Sea for a book club. After that I think I'll try the Fionavar Tapestry as I haven't read any G G Kay yet.

Candace (cprimackqcom) | 29 comments Im reading The Night Circus, Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Theft of Swords, The Marriage Plot, and Persuasion. What a great month so far!!

Jenny (JennyK89) | 111 comments I'm reading Room. I finished after the quake and Dead as a Doornail. I really enjoyed them both.

Kate | 54 comments Reading The Night Circus and listening to Howl's Moving Castle. Both good so far!

Skut L | 27 comments I finished the third book in The Books of the South: Tales of the Black Company

And am nearly done with Ravenor: The Omnibus

After which I will probably start reading The Victorian Underworld
I plan to mine it for ideas while I write.

« previous 1 3