THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB discussion

AUTHORS-FORUMS- CHECK OUT ALL! > 2013- BOOKS YOU ARE MOST EAGER TO READ IN NEW YEAR..CLASSICS AND NEW!!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 77) (77 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Rick (last edited Nov 25, 2012 04:19PM) (new)

Rick F. | 12747 comments Mod
As we close in on 2013..we look forward to reading those books we have yet to get to in the previous year.
Lets here what books are 2012 must-reads for you in the next month...before the Ball Falls!!
For me
1. The Food of the Gods - HG Wells
2. The Monk - Matthew Lewis
3. The Bridge of San Luis Rey- Thornton Wilder

Kathy G. I have a huge list---
but--
The Eye of the World- Robert Jordan
Pride and Prejudice- Jane Austen
Great Expectations- Charles Dickens
Black Heart - Holly Black (Coming out in April)
Brisingr and Inheritance- Christopher Paolini
Inkspell- Cornelia Funke
A Wizard of Earthsea- Ursula K. Le Guin
The Merchant of Death- D. J. MacHale
Incarceron- Catherine Fisher
Kidnapped- Robert Louis Stevenson
The Housekeeper and the Professor- Yoko Ogawa

Just to name a few at the top of my list :-)

Jessi | 68 comments I really want to read The Help, The Historian, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs The Queen's Dollmaker, and finish the two arthur series I am reading as well as Philippa Gregory's Tudor series. I'm sure I will be reading lots more ;)

evie (ecie) Firstly finish and review English Passengersby Matthew Kneale
Then 1 Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis
2 True History of the Kelly Gang By Peter Carey
3 Last Orders By Graham Swift
so hard to narrow down the choices but these ones are screaming at me

Kate S | 2 comments Rick wrote: "As we begin a new year...we look forward to reading those books we have yet to get to in the previous year.
Lets here what books are 2012 must-reads for you!

For me
1. The Food of the Gods - H..."

I must say I love Thornton Wilder and enjoy trying to finish at least one of his stories each year (although too many years it has been a re reading of his play "The Skin of Our Teeth"!) Please let us (mostly me) know how The Bridge of San Luis Rey is!

Kate S | 2 comments My personal goal for 2012 is to read books I truly enjoy. To find characters to whom I can connect and plot lines which keep me enthralled.

Bill I've picked 75 books as my target for 2012. I've strted with The Wasp Factory as my first book. Some of my others include...

1. Susanna Clarke - Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell;
2. Sergei Lukyanenko - The Nightwatch
3. Scott Westerfield - Leviathan
4. Bill Bryson - At Home: A Short History of Private Life
5. Deborah Cadbury - Chocolate Wars: The 150-year Rivalry Between the World's Greatest Chocolate Makers
6. Barbara Tuchman - The Zimmermann Telegram
7. Jack Whyte - Knights of the Black and White
8. Anthony Burgess - A Clockwork Orange
9. Robertson Davies - The Rebel Angels
10. Ken Follett - The Pillars of the Earth
11. Barbara Kingsolver - The Poisonwood Bible
12. Vikas Swarup - Six Suspects, and
13. Trevor Elleston - The Flight of the Phoenix

Kate S wrote: "Rick wrote: "As we begin a new year...we look forward to reading those books we have yet to get to in the previous year.
Lets here what books are 2012 must-reads for you!

For me
1. The Food of the..."

Will do-- I have the book on my shelf- ready to read!

The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder

KOMET | 624 comments Here's an abbreviated list of some of the books I intend to complete reading in 2012 ---

1) GERMAN AND AUSTRIAN AIRCRAFT OF THE FIRST WORLD WAR by Terry C. Treadwell by Terry C. Treadwell

2) British and Allied Aircraft of the First World War by Terry C. Treadwell by Terry C. Treadwell

3) Chips  The Diaries of Sir Henry Channon by Henry Channon by Henry Channon

4) Ridgeway  The American Fenian Invasion & the 1866 Battle That Made Canada by Peter Vronsky by Peter Vronsky

Covers an event in U.S. history remembered by few Americans today: the 1866 Fenian invasion of Canada.

5) Luftwaffe Fighters and Bombers  The Battle of Britain by Chris Goss by Chris Goss

6) Elizabeth the Queen  The Life of a Modern Monarch by Sally Bedell Smith by Sally Bedell Smith

7) Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts by Gregory David Roberts

8) Island Beneath The Sea by Isabel Allende by Isabel Allende

9) Artie Shaw  His Life and Music (Bayou Jazz Lives Series) by John White by John White

10) Articles of War, The Spectator Book of World War II by Edited by Fiona Glass and Philip Marsden-Smedley by Edited by Fiona Glass and Philip Marsden-Smedley

11) The Secret Life of Bletchley Park  The History of the Wartime Codebreaking Centre by the Men and Women Who Were There by Sinclair McKay by Sinclair McKay

Jessi | 68 comments I also would like to read these: City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) by Cassandra Clare 11/22/63 by Stephen King and the new Murakami.

Boyd Lemon (Goodreadscomboydlemon) | 142 comments My new book, "Eat, Walk, Write: An American Senior's Year of Adventure in Paris and Tuscany was released by Amazon on the last day of 2011--Kindle and Nook coming soon.

Boyd Lemon-Author of “Eat, Walk, Write: An American Senior’s Year of Adventure in Paris and Tuscany,” and "Digging Deep: A Writer Uncovers His Marriages," the author’s journey to understand his role in the destruction of his three marriages. Information and excerpts: http://www.BoydLemon-Writer.com.

David Elkin First novel (after Holmes book) will be King's 11-22-63. However, my first non-fiction book will be Shelby Footes' Civil War Volume 2 of his trilogy. I plan to read Dragon's Path also.

Genine Franklin-Clark (suz83yq) | 35 comments Coming soon from the library: Swamplandia, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, The Devil's Brigade, and now that I'm getting my NOOK back (my daughter has had it since Thanksgiving, knitting me a cover for it) I can read the newest Isabel Dalhousie (yay!). Also still working on The Believing Brain.

message 15: by Athanasios (last edited Jan 02, 2012 11:28AM) (new)

Athanasios (athanos) The rest of the Millennium series by Stieg Larsson. I'm currently on Girl With a Dragon Tattoo.

description

Yes I read slow, but I'm also researching the third in my own series and when I get past Stieg's triad I'll let you know.

message 16: by MissSusie (last edited Jan 02, 2012 01:49PM) (new)

MissSusie | 243 comments A few I want to get read are:
Clan by, David P. Elliot (James Mason Club Member)
Storyteller by, GR Grove
Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by, Tom Franklin
The Girl in the Lighthouseby, Roxanne Tempfer Sandford
The Buddha in the Attic by, Julie Otsuka
The Dry Grass of August by, Anna Jean Mayhew
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
Catch Me by, Lisa Gardner
The Winter Palace: A Novel of Catherine the Greatby Eva Stachniak
Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Womanby Robert K. Massie

Thats just a few I hope to get to in the next few months!

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) | 279 comments Kyle wrote: "I have a wide variety I want, and intend, to read:

The Hour I First Believed by Wally LambThe Accident by Linwood BarclayLone Wolf (Zack Walker, #3) by Linwood BarclayBad Move by Linwood BarclayStone Rain (Zack Walker, #4) by Linwood Barclay - Linwood Barclay

message 18: by Carol (last edited Jan 05, 2012 05:10AM) (new)

Carol I'm currently in the middle of reading Here Comes Trouble by Michael Moore. Soon to follow will be The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, Selected Novels and Short Stories by Patricia Highsmith, While Mortals Sleep by Kurt Vonnegut and a show business biography, Kay Thompson: From Funny Face to Eloise by Sam Irvin

Lena Hillbrand (LenaHillbrandauthorTheSuperiors) I'm really into historical fiction right now, so I hope to read:
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America, and a few others by Erik Larson. Also, might try another Philippa Gregory.
Going to read a few of the pulitzers that I haven't read yet, as well as the Chains trilogy by Laurie Halse Anderson.
Also on my list: Sarah's Key
Cleopatra's Daughter
11/22/63
and Fallen Angels.

Elaine Campbell (goodreadscomnickthegreek11) | 52 comments ASAP:

Hart Crane's Poetry: "Appollinaire lived in Paris, I live in Cleveland, Ohio" by John T. Irwin

message 21: by MissSusie (last edited Jan 05, 2012 09:39AM) (new)

MissSusie | 243 comments Lena wrote: "I'm really into historical fiction right now, so I hope to read:
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America, and a few others by [author:..."

Sarah's Key is great! Also you can't go wrong with anything Michelle Moran writes!

Lena Hillbrand (LenaHillbrandauthorTheSuperiors) Thanks! I"ll look her up.

Betsy (betsy78) | 16 comments I want to read A Game of Thrones series. I would also like to finish The Mortal Instruments series.

Elaine wrote: "ASAP:

Hart Crane's Poetry: "Appollinaire lived in Paris, I live in Cleveland, Ohio" by John T. Irwin"

wonderful poet - Hart Crane- and very much worth reading!

Hart Crane

Jon Sprunk | 28 comments I have so many books on my to-read pile. Next might be Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy.

Carol One of my favorite quotes is by Frank Zappa.. "So many books, so little time."

message 27: by Kim Marie (last edited Jan 08, 2012 11:52PM) (new)

Justine Saulnier (goodreadscombookworm247) | 21 comments Any good vampire book and other fantasy and mystery book I can find

just picked up Lord of the Flies- never read it! so plan on this year!
Lord of the Flies  by William Golding

Thayer Berlyn | 36 comments I am excited to read Paul Oppenheimer's, Machiavelli: A Life Beyond Ideology. I listened to an interview with Mr. Oppenheimer last week about the book and it was fabulously informative. I also have on my list, And So it Goes: Kurt Vonnegut, again, intensely interested by way of listening to an interview with the author. Interviews with authors can be a little tricky, sometimes, but I trusted the interviewer and that makes a lot of difference as to whether I will pursue reading the book.

Thayer wrote: "I am excited to read Paul Oppenheimer's, Machiavelli: A Life Beyond Ideology. I listened to an interview with Mr. Oppenheimer last week about the book and it was fabulously informa..."

curious how you find Machiavelli: A Life,,,- sounds like a facinating book- interesting how source material is used to write about someone so long gone!

Carol I have Vonnegut's "While Mortals Sleep" on my to-read list. My sister gave me a copy of the book as a Christmas gift. I love his writing!

KOMET | 624 comments Here are some other books I intend to read this year ---

1) Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle by The Countess of Carnarvon

2) The Quants: How a New Breed of Math Whizzes Conquered Wall Street and Nearly Destroyed It by Scott Patterson

Heard the author interviewed on National Public Radio (NPR) last year. Want to know more about these math whizzes Wall Street had hired since the 1980s to create these complex mathematical formulas which helped lead to the present economic crisis.

3) Devil Sent the Rain: Music and Writing in Desperate America by Tom Piazza

4) Hardcastle's Obsession by Graham Ison

Fascinating detective fiction set in Britain during the First World War.

5) Life Before Man by Margaret Atwood

Margaret Atwood and I share the same birthday!

6) A People's History of the United States: 1492-Present by Howard Zinn

One of the best, most comprehensive histories of the U.S. that I am presently reading.

7) The Duel: Pakistan on the Flight Path of American Power by Tariq Ali

Tariq Ali is simply amazing. Social activist, writer, playwright, film maker, debator, analyst, historian. Enjoyed reading his book on Iraq a few years ago.

8) Descent into Chaos: The US & the Disaster in Pakistan, Afghanistan & Central Asia by Ahmed Rashid

The author knows his stuff. Have heard him speak about Pakistan and Afghanistan on NPR many times.

9) I Flew With the Lafayette Escadrille by Edwin C. Parsons

The author had learned to fly before WWI, flew for revolutionary forces in Mexico, and then went over to France, where he served in the French Aviation Militaire as a fighter pilot on the Western Front. I am utterly fascinated with First World War aviation.

10) The Secret Life of France by Lucy Wadham

"Using her own experience, as a wife and mother [Wadham had been married to a Frenchman], and later as an investigative journalist for the BBC, Wadham explores French attitudes towards sex, marriage, adultery, money, work, happiness, war and race, and in so doing reveals much about our own priorities and the nature of our identity."

11) The Civil War of 1812: American Citizens, British Subjects, Irish Rebels, & Indian Allies by Alan Taylor

This year marks the 200th ANNIVERSARY of the War of 1812. I'm especially keen to read this book.

12) Moscow 1812: Napoleon's Fatal March by Adam Zamoyski

This year also marks 200 years since Napoleon's invasion of Russia. I'm very intrigued by Napoleon.

Moscow 1812  Napoleon's Fatal March by Adam Zamoyski

Bunnie O'hara | 132 comments ERIK--i just bought "IN THE GARDEN OF BEASTS" BY ERIK LARSON--This is so interesting i can't put it down--what makes is so great is- i was 14yrs old when world war two broke out--of course i knew nothing about the information given in this book but names and places i had heard --fascinating book--

Dave Wood (pocket7976) Currently working my way through

Jim Butcher - Codex Alera series
Arthur Conan Doyle - Sherlock Holmes books
The Lovely Bones
Under the Dome
and some Target Dr Who's

That should keep me busy till at least March

Bunnie O'hara | 132 comments dave--good luck with sherlock--i found it boring--written so many years ago--

Dave Wood (pocket7976) Bunnie wrote: "dave--good luck with sherlock--i found it boring--written so many years ago--"

I've read them before and really enjoy them - the new TV series was my impetus for a re-read.

I find the writing very easy to read - much simpler than say Wilkie Collins or Austen (both of whom I also enjoy)

Bunnie O'hara | 132 comments dave--don't get me wrong--i love the sherlock series--the movies with Basil rathbone and the new tv one too--for some reason without forensics,DNA,fingerprinting --it just didn't come across the same--i should have read the book years aga when i was much younger and less critical.meanwhile if you can still get pleasure out of it so be it.

Monica Happy Reading All!! (nutz4reading) | 17 comments I never know what I am going to read. I have certain books I have to read for Early Reviewers and Library Book Club books otherwise I just choose as I go. My goal is to tackle my TBR pile so about the 700 books on that shelf are books I hope to read in 2012.

Kelsey Miller (kelsey_miller) | 5 comments Right now I'm finishing up the Night Circus, which is really good. I have quite a bit of young adult books to review, including Cinder by Marissa Meyer and A Million Suns by Beth Revis. And, of course, I have to recommend The Fault in Our Stars by John Green :)

Hannah's Dream by Diane Hammond
Just bought this book- used- looks like a very interesting plot- curious if anyone has read it?

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, for me in 2012 I'll read Books by William Shakespeare.
In fact, in this month i had finished :
Romeo and Juliet
Hamlet
The Merchant of Venice
I am currently read Julius Caesar
What about you?

Elena (pessimisticElly) | 1 comments This year I fully intend on reading my way through everything Salman Rushdie has ever written, at least a few books by Haruki Murakami and some of the Russian classics: War and Peace, Anna Karenina, The Brothers Karamazov, Doctor Zhivago.

Wanda Hartzenberg (WandaPanda) | 2 comments My very next read will be NortWest by JH Glaze in the horror category.JH Glaze I am currently reading a horror anthology by K.W. McCabe Choices  A Short Story by K.W. McCabe The Dragon's Call by K.W. McCabe I really like my current read and cant wait for my next.

Joanne Tombrakos | 7 comments If my novel, The Secrets They Kept is on your to be read list, it is on sale today through Valentine's Day, Kindle edition only for $.99, what I call a true bargain! http://www.amazon.com/The-Secrets-The...

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) | 279 comments I will buy my copy in morning as it's £0.77 for us and it's $1.22 for you.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Secrets-T...

Stacia | 57 comments I have lots of books coming in from the library & many I want to read this year. One that I will definitely read this year: "1Q84" by Haruki Murakami. :-)

Kathy Davie | 129 comments I plan to read Susan Campbell Bartoletti's Boy Who Dared, David Weber's By Schism Rent Asunder, and Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe's Enemy by Wednesday.

John | 4 comments i'm thinking of finishing the harry potter books and then watching the movies to compare the accuracy of the movies. Currently on book 3 of 7, then move to some james patterson just finished you've been warned pretty spooky, then i will be rifling through the anita blake series from my library e-book/audiobook center on my phone via overdrive and will be looking to finish the sookie stackhouse series and dive into the morganville vampire series and get some more reading done from booksfree.com in the middle of all this crazy reading wish this hobby/obsession was an olympic sport

message 50: by Rick (last edited Mar 03, 2012 07:36PM) (new)

I would like to read Germinal by Zola

« previous 1