The Book Addicts! discussion

Reading Group Challenge for 2012 > Dawn's 2012 TBR Challenge

Comments (showing 1-27)    post a comment »
dateUp_arrow    newest »

Dawn | 235 comments MarBear wrote: "Dawn wrote: "Well, I really tried to like Emma, but gave up on it about halfway through (life is too short to continue with books I'm not enjoying!).
I recently read one of my alternatives, My Name..."

Thanks MarBear. Your email is what reminded me to update!

message 26: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Mary (Marbear) Blackburn (mbeth45) | 9188 comments Mod
Dawn wrote: "Well, I really tried to like Emma, but gave up on it about halfway through (life is too short to continue with books I'm not enjoying!).
I recently read one of my alternatives, My Name Is Asher Lev..."

Hi Dawn. Great to see your still with us. I knew we did lose 200 people to the challenge. I have "Emma," on my list but it's towards the end. Lol. Nice to have you back.

marbear

Janet (goodreadscomJanBookFan) | 815 comments Hi Dawn, I agree that life is too short to spend on a book you really do not enjoy. Happy that you liked your alternate better. The only book on your list that I have read is The Curious Dog...which I thought was quite good.

Happy reading. I am just getting back on track with my 2012 Challenge after reading quite a range of books that are not part of my challenge.

Dawn | 235 comments Well, I really tried to like Emma, but gave up on it about halfway through (life is too short to continue with books I'm not enjoying!).
I recently read one of my alternatives, My Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok and found it to be much more to my liking.

Denise Great list! Love Fannie Flagg and Wilkie Collins! Have fun...

Dawn | 235 comments Thanks Johnna! I'm looking forward to reading some good books this year!

Johnna (looktothepast) | 86 comments You have some wonderful books on your list! I love Fannie Flagg, she is one of the authors that I intend to reread this year. No matter what book, she always makes me laugh out loud at some point, and cry at another point.

The Book Thief was also one I read last year, and it is one that tends to stay with you. I knew it would be emotional, but it was just so wonderfully written. You have a good year ahead of you!

Dawn | 235 comments LOL! I know what you mean about trying to get more time to listen to an audiobook! I don't mind doing mundane tasks around the house when I've got something good to listen to. :)
I'll look forward to Water for Elephants.
I recently read A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg and enjoyed it.

Brandy (bri2481) | 44 comments Water for Elephants was super and I absolutely love Fannie Flagg. I am currently listening to Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg on audiobook in my car and I must admit and I driving rather slow these days just to get more and more out of the book!

Dawn | 235 comments So, maybe it's not just me with Emma! She is such a snob - I'm hoping she'll see the error of her ways by the end of the book.

Bill | 3872 comments Dawn wrote: "Bill, I am now listening to the audiobook of Emma. I love Pride and Prejudice, but am having trouble getting into this one. I'm about halfway through it. I think it's par..."

I have managed to read one Jane Austen and have enjoyed most of the BBC mini-series based on her books. The only one I've had difficulties with is Emma. I tried to watch the Gwynneth Paltrow movie once and had to turn it off. Good luck; I hope you end up enjoying.

Dawn | 235 comments Claussius, I hope you find some good ideas for your own TBR list!

Dawn | 235 comments Jayme, I'm so glad to hear The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time was a help to you and your husband. We have two different friends who have autistic sons. I was thinking about recommending the book to them.

Dawn | 235 comments Bill, I am now listening to the audiobook of Emma. I love Pride and Prejudice, but am having trouble getting into this one. I'm about halfway through it. I think it's partially the narrator's voice that's tedious for me. I am requesting a different version from the library to finish the book out. That should help. Life's too short to continue with a book I'm not enjoying!

Claussius | 72 comments Hey you quite a few books that I haven't read, so it will be a good list of recommendations from you :) Happy Reading...

@Jayme -- its amazing how the books add to our lives in so many ways. your comment makes me want to pick and read this book.

Jayme (jcbruce_80) Curious Incident came out right after we found out that my oldest had autism. I really enjoyed the book and it helped my husband and I understand our son's world a little better.

Bill | 3872 comments I've got his second book on my TBR shelf, A Spot of Bother. I'm looking forward to reading that. What's next for you to read?

Dawn | 235 comments Bill, I enjoyed the Curious Incident as well. I especially liked the way it helped me to see through the eyes of someome with autism..

Bill | 3872 comments Interesting list. I have read Water for Elephants and The Curious Incident. I enjoyed The Curious Incident quite a bit. I've got The Poisonwood Bible on my list this year as well.

Dawn | 235 comments Knocked one of my TBR's out already, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. I really liked the first half of the book, but didn't care as much for the second half. Glad I read it, though.

Lea (Leaspot) | 1902 comments Dawn, I hope you enjoy your list. I've read The Poisonwood Bible and Water for Elephants and enjoyed them both. My favorite though, was Emma. I really enjoyed the book, and I hope you can make it through - it is loooong. Good luck!

Alondra | 4329 comments Dawn wrote: "Alondra wrote: "Poisonwood bible is an awesome read, and i have a book thief on my list as well. I really have to take one last look at my list before midnight, so i can make sure i have FUN readin..."

thanx. i finally started reading les miserables back in like september and am still reading it. so i will NOT make the mistake of sticking with a book that drives me nuts. i think this is a great read, but daunting :(

Dawn | 235 comments Alondra wrote: "Poisonwood bible is an awesome read, and i have a book thief on my list as well. I really have to take one last look at my list before midnight, so i can make sure i have FUN reading; even if it ma..."

I know what you mean about wanting to have fun. Last year I put several books on my list that I'd been putting off reading for years. It didn't help me read them :) So, this time I chose books I've been looking forward to reading, not putting off. I think it will help immensely! Have fun making your list.

Dawn | 235 comments Donna, that's good to hear! I am looking forward to reading it.

Alondra | 4329 comments Poisonwood bible is an awesome read, and i have a book thief on my list as well. I really have to take one last look at my list before midnight, so i can make sure i have FUN reading; even if it makes me think.

good luck with your list!! :)

Donna | 436 comments I'm reading The Poisonwood Bible now and really enjoying it.