The Brontë Family discussion

Movie Adaptations > Jane Eyre 2011

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marie (new)

Marie | 60 comments Mod
Everyone's thoughts on the new Jane Eyre??? I really enjoyed it. Their attempt to change up the plot sequence worked well I thought, and the score by the amazing Marianelli (who also did Pride and Prejudice, Hannah, Atonement, etc.) was etheral! Fassbender and Mia were great, especially in the farewell scene. such emotion. One VERY neat Brontë moment -- when Jane walks into the library to meet Mr. Rochester "officially" he has some drawings in his lap. The drawing on top is of the Duke of Zamorna by Branwell Brontë. The duke was the fictional creation of Branwell and Charlotte that was featured in their juvenilia and he was also the prototype of Mr. Rochester. Very Byronic, tragic-flaw type of hero. So cool.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't know that trivia about the drawing! I have seen the film several times, I loved it. I really liked Mia Wasikowska (not sure about correct spelling of her surname), she was so sweet and expressive. I don't know wich version I enjoy more, this or the 2006 BBC version, but I think this one is really good adaptation.

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthajw) | 17 comments I bought this movie a week ago and am still trying to convince my husband that we need to watch it ;-)

message 4: by Marie (new)

Marie | 60 comments Mod
Haha. I talked my husband into driving 4 hours to Atlanta, Georgia to go see it in the theater. They were not showing it anywhere around here. I know have it on DVD and can watch it anytime. :)

message 5: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 1 comments I love both the 2011 and the 2006 BBC version. What gives the 2011 version an advantage over the BBC version, I think, is the depiction of Jane's "I care for myself," which the 2006 one didn't include. Definitely my favorite scene in that adaptation.

message 6: by Ben (new)

Ben Lovegrove | 2 comments I loved it, can't wait to see it again. Do you know the soundtrack sampled italian film Suspiria?

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (TheDoctorsCompanion) | 16 comments Wow, I am in the minority! I did NOT enjoy the new movie. I much prefer the 2006 version. I thought the actors were perfect for that one. In the 2011 movie, I felt it was WAY to rushed. Such an epic book can NOT be crammed into that small time frame. I felt it similiar to the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice. Both had good efforts, but to rushed to be anything that can stand up to the book.
I felt like Blance Ingram's character was included far to little, and Grace Poole was not even in it if I remember right. Or maybe she was just barely in. I wasn't a fan of Fassbender or Wasikowska either. I felt the delivery of the majority of their lines was poor. Most of my favorite moments were excluded or skimmed through. :(

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthajw) | 17 comments I finally got to see the movie this weekend :-) I did enjoy it, but I agree with Rachel that it felt too rushed, or maybe more like an outline than the full story. I often feel this way about movies made about lengthy novels though. I find myself asking, "How would anyone who hasn't read this book know what was going on?" You're right about Grace Poole, too, she was only briefly shown and I think her name was said once. Overall, I thought it was ok, but would rather stick with the book.

message 9: by Marie (new)

Marie | 60 comments Mod
An interesting thing that I noticed... When he is looking over her artwork as she walks into the room, it briefly shows a picture of someone in profile. It is a drawing by Branwell Brontë of Zamorna - the main protagonist in Branwell and Charlotte's juvenilia.

http://thebrontes.tumblr.com/post/258...

unread topics | mark unread