Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

Archived 2012 Reading Challenges > Read the Book/See the Movie

Comments (showing 1-40 of 40) (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 1475 comments Mod
The Read the Book, See the Movie Challenge is based on a simple idea--read a book, see a movie based on the book. I'm thinking that popcorn must be a part of this challenge somewhere :)

Levels:
• Matinee: one book/movie
• Double Feature: two books/movies
• Saturday Movie Marathon: four books/movies
• Film Festival: eight books/movies
• Festival Jury Member: ten books/movies
Have fun!

message 2: by Beth, Head Librarian (last edited Jan 21, 2012 10:42AM) (new)

Beth | 2474 comments Mod
As of right now, I'm going with "Double Feature." I want to read and watch the movies for The Help and Jane Eyre.

Done--Jane Eyre novel and movie.

message 3: by Spunky (new)

Spunky Reader | 6 comments I've seen Like Dandelion Dust, but haven't read the book yet. Hoping to remedy that real soon.

I saw Courageous and now I really want to read the book!

Also just saw The Shunning and haven't read that yet, either.

Does it matter which order we do this in? lol

message 4: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

Haha- Spunky thats a good question. As I tend to be a go with the flow kinda gal- I will say no, it doesn't matter! Haha- read the book/see the movie can be flip flopped too! I have definitely done that myslef- seen the movie and liked it so much I then read the book as you get so much more background info when you read the book, so whichever way you'd like- have fun!

message 5: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Loraine (LibraryDiva) | 2591 comments Mod
I'll have to skip this category as I rarely go to the movies. We rent old Netflix as neither my husband and I like much of what is shown at the movie theaters any more.

message 6: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2474 comments Mod
Oh, I definitely won't be going to the theaters much to see any movies. Both The Help and Jane Eyre are out on DVD and I know for sure the Jane Eyre is in the Redbox. I rarely go to the theater to see movies, especially not in the evening. It is just way to expensive.

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori I'll try for Saturday Movie Marathon.

message 8: by Penny (new)

Penny | 19 comments I read Jane Eyre last year and watched that, so won't do that one this year. I might go for a Saturday Movie Marathon, because I am aiming to read and see The Help this year. And I am bound to read one or two Jane Austen this year (as I do every year), and also watch the movies, so maybe I'll go with the obvious Pride and Prejudice, and Emma. Fourth one to be decided (c:

message 9: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn Gunter | 37 comments I did that a few times this past year. I read Dandelion Dust and then watched the movie (book is so much better!) Read Courageous, still waiting to see the movie. I just finished The Lucky One by Nicolas Sparks, I want to see the movie (though I have to forewarn this one was not a Christian book...was good, I have a feeling the movie will be better.) I want to try to read more like that..I've seen many Nicolas Sparks movies, we'll see if I get around to reading any of the books to those movies!?

message 10: by Carissa (new)

Carissa | 51 comments I am going for the the double feature. I want to see the Hobbit this year so I've got to read the book. My sister is going to drag me to see the Hunger games so I've got to read that book.

message 11: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn Gunter | 37 comments Has anyone heard of the book The Vow? It's a true story and they made it into a movie. I want to see the movie and thought it would be fun to read the book. Can't tell if it's written as a non-fiction true story or in a novel format...

message 12: by Diana S (last edited Apr 30, 2012 08:28PM) (new)

Diana S | 2 comments CFD - Read a Book/See the Movie
Level:Festival Jury Member
Duration 2/1/12 - 12/31/12
Books Read/Movies Seen: 0/10 * 0/10
Updated: 1/23/12

Movie Tickets

1.The Vow: The True Story Behind the Movie by Kim Carpenter, Krickett Carpenter, John Perry
2. War Horse by Michael Morpurgo
3. My Week With Marilyn by Colin Clark
4. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
5. Water for Elephant by Sara Gruen
6. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
7. The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks
8. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
9. My Life in France by Julia Child (The Movie: Julie and Julia)
10. Another Man's War: The True Story of One Man's Battle to Save Children in the Sudan by Sam Childers (The Movie: Machine Gun Preacher)

And the Oscar Goes To .....

message 13: by Carissa (new)

Carissa | 51 comments I am changing mine to Saturday Movie Marathon for the Vow, The Lucky One, Hunger Games, and either the Hobbit or the Help

message 14: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn Gunter | 37 comments Diana S wrote: "Movie Tickets"

I want to read The Vow, I didn't realize War Horse was a book, I am gonna look that one up! I read The Help and The Lucky One...going to see The Lucky One when it comes out. I also read the Hunger Series to see Hunger Games when it comes out!

Great list!

message 15: by Leah (last edited Jan 27, 2012 03:39PM) (new)

Leah (goodreadscomLeahD) | 4 comments I've seen Like Dandelion Dust, and read the book.

message 16: by Angie H (new)

Angie H | 64 comments Jocelyn wrote: "I did that a few times this past year. I read Dandelion Dust and then watched the movie (book is so much better!) Read Courageous, still waiting to see the movie. I just finished The Lucky One by N..."

I just watched "Like Dandelion Dust" the other night and although I enjoyed it, I agree with you the book is WAY better. that is pretty normal for me though to like the book better than the movie...except for Nicholas Sparks " a walk to remember" I love that movie, even better than the book.

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura (LauraJacksonAuthor) | 28 comments I'm going to try the Saturday Movie Marathon.

I recently read Pride and Prejudice and want to see the movie. Same for To Kill a Mockingbird.

I read The Hunger Games, so I'm sure I'll see the movie. I liked the movie Something Borrowed, so I will probably go buy the book.

message 18: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn Gunter | 37 comments Angie wrote: "except for Nicolas Sparks..."

I recently read a few of his books. Though I haven't been able to see The Lucky One I have a feeling his movies are better to watch than the books. I am not a fan of reading some of the thoughts of some of the characters. Other than that I do like his books and read them so fast! I really liked The Wedding. I haven't read The Notebook or others cause I love the movies and not sure I want to read the book! :P

message 19: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn Gunter | 37 comments Laura wrote: "I read The Hunger Games, so I'm sure I'll see the movi..."

I want to see the movie when it comes out since I read the series...

message 20: by Penny (last edited Mar 13, 2012 06:11AM) (new)

Penny | 19 comments Saturday Movie Marathon:
1. The Help
2. The Great Gatsby
3. Jane Austen (haven't decided yet which one)
4. Pygmalion & My Fair Lady

message 21: by Angie H (new)

Angie H | 64 comments Well I am not sure how many I will do but so far I have one down.
read the book, and watched the movie
1.The Hunger Games

message 22: by Carissa (new)

Carissa | 51 comments So far two down, Read the The Help and saw the movie liked the book better. Read the book and Watched the Movie for The Hunger Games.

message 23: by Jewel (new)

Jewel (jewela) | 1 comments I'll be reading The Lucky One and seeing the movie:-)

message 24: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (last edited Dec 14, 2012 01:03AM) (new)

message 25: by Cecelia (new)

Cecelia (goodreadscomcecelia_dowdy) | 45 comments Cheryl wrote: "Ok I have done 3
1. The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins The Hunger Games
2 To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee To Kill a Mockingbird
3. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë Jane Eyre"

Cheryl, what did you think of The Hunger Games movie vs. the book? I thought the book was much better. I reviewed both the book and the movie on my blog:
http://ceceliadowdy.com/blog/?s=hunge...

message 26: by Carissa (new)

Carissa | 51 comments Completed Hunger Games book and movie, The Help book and movie.

message 27: by Karen (new)

Karen | 146 comments Beth wrote: "As of right now, I'm going with "Double Feature." I want to read and watch the movies for The Help and Jane Eyre.

Done--Jane Eyre novel and movie."

I want to watch that so bad. That kind of day. I am waiting for next years challenges though to do any.

message 28: by Cecelia (new)

Cecelia (goodreadscomcecelia_dowdy) | 45 comments The Help...I have yet to see the movie, but, I did read and enjoy that novel

message 29: by Penny (new)

Penny | 19 comments I am getting NOWHERE with this challenge, and seeing that The Great Gatsby doesn't come out until next year here in Australia (I think??), I think I might give up on this challenge for this year... I think I 'bit of more challenges that I could chew' hee hee

message 30: by Cecelia (new)

Cecelia (goodreadscomcecelia_dowdy) | 45 comments Penny wrote: "I am getting NOWHERE with this challenge, and seeing that The Great Gatsby doesn't come out until next year here in Australia (I think??), I think I might give up on this challenge for this year......"

I read The Great Gatsby several years ago. IF I were to see the movie that's coming out, I'd have to read the book again. I don't recall all that much about it? Doesn't somebody get hit by a car, and I do recall the money and wild parties and stuff. I also recalled that the book was not very long.

Leonardo DiCaprio is starring in that movie, right? Any Leo fans on this list? I loved his performance in Titanic (about 15 years ago.)

message 31: by Amy (new)

Amy | 39 comments I read Pride and Prejudice and then had to watch the movies. Not sure why I put off reading it for so long, I loved it!! I have a few more that I would like to read and watch, but I do not think it will get done before the end of the year.

message 32: by Penny (new)

Penny | 19 comments Cecelia, I read The Great Gatsby in high school (15 years or so ago, eek!!), and have been meaning to read again, want to read it again before I see it at the movies!
I am a Leo fan, not really of Titanic, but he's been impressive in other stuff since i.e. Blood Diamond, Inception etc etc

message 33: by Cecelia (new)

Cecelia (goodreadscomcecelia_dowdy) | 45 comments Penny wrote: "Cecelia, I read The Great Gatsby in high school (15 years or so ago, eek!!), and have been meaning to read again, want to read it again before I see it at the movies!
I am a Leo fan, not really o..."

Oh, I really liked the movie Inception, but, you've really gotta pay attention when you watch that movie!

message 34: by Karen (new)

Karen | 146 comments Cecelia wrote: "Penny wrote: "Cecelia, I read The Great Gatsby in high school (15 years or so ago, eek!!), and have been meaning to read again, want to read it again before I see it at the movies!
I am a Leo fan..."

I liked it also and missed a lot of what was happening.

message 35: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

I hit 4 and I am happy with that!

message 36: by Penny (new)

Penny | 19 comments Penny wrote: "Saturday Movie Marathon:
1. The Help
2. The Great Gatsby
4. Pygmalion & My Fair Lady"

Didn't achieve any of these, whoops!! I think I joined too many challenges, hee hee

message 37: by Karen (new)

Karen | 146 comments Penny wrote: "Penny wrote: "Saturday Movie Marathon:
1. The Help
2. The Great Gatsby

Didn't achieve any of these, whoops!! I think I j..."

lol It is good to know, I am not the only one that cannot follow through with plans.

message 38: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Temple | 37 comments I think I will re-read Jane Eyre (its been 25 years) and watch the movie
and 2) read the "Importance of being Ernest" and watch the movie

message 39: by CathyLynn (new)

CathyLynn Bryant (AuthorCathyBryant) | 600 comments Karen wrote: "Penny wrote: "Penny wrote: "Saturday Movie Marathon:
1. The Help
2. The Great Gatsby

Didn't achieve any of these, whoops..."

I love Pygmalion and everything Jane.

message 40: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

Lisa wrote: "I think I will re-read Jane Eyre (its been 25 years) and watch the movie
and 2) read the "Importance of being Ernest" and watch the movie"

Hi Lisa, just a heads up this thread is an archived thread meaning this was the 2012 reading challenge thread. If you want to keep track of this one on this year's thread , here is the link- http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Happy reading and watching!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Hobbit (other topics)
Jane Eyre (other topics)
War Horse (other topics)
The Vow: The True Events that Inspired the Movie (other topics)
The Lucky One (other topics)
More...